8 days until our trip...and I think we have chicken pox

You chose to risk your kids getting chicken pox, they got chicken pox, your vacation should wait until they are no longer a danger to the rest of the people at WDW. I'm sorry, why is this even a question?

Sorry you are going through this. I am pro-vax, but just for the record, both of my children got the Chicken Pox AFTER getting the vaccination. Yep, it happens. My youngest got it immediately after getting the vac, and passed it on to his older brother who had been vaccinated 1.5 years earlier. Go figure.

I'm sure it hurts your heart to have to cancel your trip, but believe me, it's NO FUN to be on a trip with sick kids, stuck in the hotel room. Been there, done that. My youngest caught norovirus when we were at Disney and it was a NIGHTMARE!!!! :scared1:

You chose to risk your kids getting chicken pox, they got chicken pox, your vacation should wait until they are no longer a danger to the rest of the people at WDW. I'm sorry, why is this even a question?

Not sure why this is so hateful.... the other person didn't say there was a question of cancellign if it was in fact the chicken pox but rather that is is questioning whether it is the chicken pox. It appears that she plans to cancel if it is. Try reading the thread before attacking.

sorry I dont think its chicken pox!! if all your kids have been home sick with dif thingsand had a fever sounds to me like a fever rash chicken pox spreads on a person like crazy! trust me... woke up at a teen with a few spots showerd and they were everywhere within 2 hrs!! throw kid in a warm tub if its the pox they will be everywhere!!!! and they will start to puss!! even in hair, ears, eye lids.. nd sorry folks you also take a chance going to any public place that you may catch something! yes it sucks but it happens if you are worried wear a mask!! BTW I believe chicken pox are catchy before the spots appear.
BYW let us know what it is good luck!

My Feb trip was canceled on the day of departure due to ice/snow at my connecting airport.

Disney applied every cent I had prepaid to a new reservation. I also had southwest tickets and you gotta love their no fee transfer of funds.

No worries. You might miss a certain event but Disney is pretty cool about transfering funds.

Exactly. This is what happens when you choose nto to vax and rely on herd immunity. YOU GET SICK. Lety's just pray these kids don't have complications and be glad it is not something more deadly THIS TIME. So many assume they will never get sick because everyone else has been vaccinated, but that is simply NOT the case, with chicken pox or anything else we vax agianst. The only cost this time is trip to Disney. Next time it might be much more.
My cousin almost lost his life to a preventable disease because someone else chose not to vax thier kid. He caught meseals at 11 months for an unvaccinated older child and spent a LOT of time in ICU.

but I never even dreamed that they might get chicken pox. CHICKEN POX!
how could you not know this was a HUGE possibility? They have not been vaccianted. Of course there is ALWAYS a chance they can get ANYTHING they have npt had vaccinations for. Anyone unvaccinated person is at CONSTANT risk of contracting the diseases others have been vaccinated for. Herd immunity WILL NOT protect them like so many assume.

You know, I just reread your original post, and I'm betting it's not chicken pox. You said it started on her back and stomach. I have my fingers crossed for you, because usually the CP will start in the warmest areas, skin folds--like armpits, between leg/crotch, etc.

My son has eczema and he is prone to weird rashes, fever rashes, etc. When he gets those, they almost always start on back and stomach.

Good luck!

Since you avoided answering the question they are vaccinated then they are not. You are worried that your others will all get sick. Not according to the CDC. Cancel your trip and vaccinate your kids. This way your trip next Christmas will be a fun filled event.

Are we in grade school? I avoided the question so you ASSume the answer. Very mature.

Again, this thread is not about vaccination and I am choosing not to reply to those who are trying to make it such. Spew your yuckiness somewhere else. :goodvibes

I'm sorry you might have to postpone your trip, but if the kids become sick during the trip, I don't think they will have a great time. I also had to postpone our spring break ( march2011) trip, now we are hoping to enjoy our trip this Dec. I hope everything turns alright for your family. I know how sad you must feel.:hug:

Disney will let you reschedule, no problem. The only thing is is if you currently have a package, you have to reschedule a package. If you have room only, you have to reschedule a room only stay. I know this because we recently had to push back a trip, as my sister's youngest had to have her appendix out a couple weeks before we were to leave. We did end up upgrading our resort, so at least we have someting extra nice to look forwards to.

Sorry you are going through this. I am pro-vax, but just for the record, both of my children got the Chicken Pox AFTER getting the vaccination. Yep, it happens. My youngest got it immediately after getting the vac, and passed it on to his older brother who had been vaccinated 1.5 years earlier. Go figure.

I'm sure it hurts your heart to have to cancel your trip, but believe me, it's NO FUN to be on a trip with sick kids, stuck in the hotel room. Been there, done that. My youngest caught norovirus when we were at Disney and it was a NIGHTMARE!!!! :scared1:

Not sure why this is so hateful.... the other person didn't say there was a question of cancellign if it was in fact the chicken pox but rather that is is questioning whether it is the chicken pox. It appears that she plans to cancel if it is. Try reading the thread before attacking.

sorry I dont think its chicken pox!! if all your kids have been home sick with dif thingsand had a fever sounds to me like a fever rash chicken pox spreads on a person like crazy! trust me... woke up at a teen with a few spots showerd and they were everywhere within 2 hrs!! throw kid in a warm tub if its the pox they will be everywhere!!!! and they will start to puss!! even in hair, ears, eye lids.. nd sorry folks you also take a chance going to any public place that you may catch something! yes it sucks but it happens if you are worried wear a mask!! BTW I believe chicken pox are catchy before the spots appear.
BYW let us know what it is good luck!

My Feb trip was canceled on the day of departure due to ice/snow at my connecting airport.

Disney applied every cent I had prepaid to a new reservation. I also had southwest tickets and you gotta love their no fee transfer of funds.

No worries. You might miss a certain event but Disney is pretty cool about transfering funds.

You know, I just reread your original post, and I'm betting it's not chicken pox. You said it started on her back and stomach. I have my fingers crossed for you, because usually the CP will start in the warmest areas, skin folds--like armpits, between leg/crotch, etc.

My son has eczema and he is prone to weird rashes, fever rashes, etc. When he gets those, they almost always start on back and stomach.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your replies. I think it's going to be okay. We'll just bump everything and hope that it's still Christmas-y when we get there. :) I am totally mourning my ADR's.

It's definitely chicken pox. They have blistered and are multiplying. I have no idea where she got them or how. Racking my brain trying to think where we may have been. We have been in the house for almost 2 weeks straight because everyone has been sick.

I have no idea where she got them or how. Racking my brain trying to think where we may have been. We have been in the house for almost 2 weeks straight because everyone has been sick.

My guess is the doctor's office. You've probably taken them their sometime over the past two weeks if everyone has been ill. That place is crawling with germs. :eek:

Are we in grade school? I avoided the question so you ASSume the answer. Very mature.

Again, this thread is not about vaccination and I am choosing not to reply to those who are trying to make it such. Spew your yuckiness somewhere else. :goodvibes
She may have also seen your MANY other posts about vaccinations and how you feel about them. If so, then she is NOT making an assumption but a fact based conclusion.

My guess is the doctor's office. You've probably taken them their sometime over the past two weeks if everyone has been ill. That place is crawling with germs. :eek:

That's very true. They were also playing in the backyard with the neighborhood kids. They could have contracted it from someone who was shedding the vaccine.

The bright side is, right now it is extremely mild. She did not/does not have any symptoms other than the pox. No fever, no sniffles, no sore throat. Nothing, and only about 50 pox. Some of them are blistering already.
She probably started them yesterday, but I missed them because she was the only one who escaped a bath last night.

That's very true. They were also playing in the backyard with the neighborhood kids. They could have contracted it from someone who was shedding the vaccine.

Odds are beyond reomote that this is the case. It is VERY rare to shed vaccine and even then, you would need to be immunocomormised to be at risk. It would be a true fluke for this to be the case for a child with normal immunity. Much more likely it came from a doctor's office.

how could you not know this was a HUGE possibility? They have not been vaccianted. Of course there is ALWAYS a chance they can get ANYTHING they have npt had vaccinations for. Anyone unvaccinated person is at CONSTANT risk of contracting the diseases others have been vaccinated for. Herd immunity WILL NOT protect them like so many assume.

She NEVER posted whether they were vaccinated or not. Why keep assuming?? Sorry but this time I disagree.

Growing up there was no vaccination for chicken pox and we all survived as we are here posting. Yes, for some kids chicken pox can be deadly BUT none of us even know whether or not her kids were vaccinated nor do we know if they are allergic to something in the vaccine that keeps them from being able to even get the shot.

Also, I just would like to point out that her kids could have previously had chicken pox and are getting them again as some people do have them more than once. This I know from personal experience as I had them twice as a kid. My brother was exposed to chicken pox all his life and ihe never contracted them until he was 24 and my son had them.

You just never know the situation and honestly the chicken pox vaccine is one that I believe the drug companies came up with for the extra money.

One last thing, you do realize that just because you get vaccinated does NOT mean you will not get chicken pox right?? It does NOT matter about herd immunity when it comes to chicken pox. My 13 year old had chicken pox and was vaccinated.

It's definitely chicken pox. They have blistered and are multiplying. I have no idea where she got them or how. Racking my brain trying to think where we may have been. We have been in the house for almost 2 weeks straight because everyone has been sick.

I'm sorry and hope she gets better quickly. The Aveeno oatmeal bathes do help with the itchiness. :grouphug:

As for vaccinating, it does not matter on this one as she could have gotten them even if she was vaccinated or if she had already had them.

I am so sorry that it does seem like chicken pox. My 3 kids had chicken pox 2 years ago, no vaccinations over here for it, and we found that giving them, anti histamine medicine really helped with the itching. Also bathing them in a bath with bicarbonate of soda helps soothe them as well.

My oldest ds got the chicken pox from absolutely nowhere, we never knew another soul who had it, anyway my other 2 kids both got the cj=hicken pox 14 days after my first ds got it

Hope you can reschedule your trip and all go and enjoy at a later date

She NEVER posted whether they were vaccinated or not. Why keep assuming?? Sorry but this time I disagree.
There is no reason to assume anything: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=39435466&postcount=34

The OP made the choices that she felt was best for her family, but now those choices are biting her in the butt. I don't agree with her choices, but that's neither here nor there as it still sucks that she has to cancel her trip.

The bright side is, right now it is extremely mild. She did not/does not have any symptoms other than the pox. No fever, no sniffles, no sore throat. Nothing, and only about 50 pox. Some of them are blistering already.
She probably started them yesterday, but I missed them because she was the only one who escaped a bath last night.

You made this choice for your family, and now you are finding out that yes, unvaccinated kids DO get childhood diseases.

Chicken pox is incredibly contagious, so likely all your children will get this, and you will be dealing with it for weeks. I did have a friend whose child got it as an infant, and it was a very mild case and didn't cause the child much discomfort. Hopefully it will be the same for your child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter