8 days until our trip...and I think we have chicken pox

You made this choice for your family, and now you are finding out that yes, unvaccinated kids DO get childhood diseases.

Chicken pox is incredibly contagious, so likely all your children will get this, and you will be dealing with it for weeks. I did have a friend whose child got it as an infant, and it was a very mild case and didn't cause the child much discomfort. Hopefully it will be the same for your child.

so do those who have been vaccinated.....just saying:rolleyes1

Mine, too. Being sick, that is, but I never even dreamed that they might get chicken pox. CHICKEN POX! 8 days before a Disney World trip. Why now?! LOL

No trip insurance, but we have southwest airline tickets and I'm sure we could just bump our trip up or beg the mercy of the Disney powers that be. I'm sure they don't want chicken pox possibilities running around the parks with their knowledge...not that I would do that. LOL

Seriously? Besides the health risks of chicken pox, it's incredibly contagious. Back in the unvaccinated days, pox routinely ran through schools.

No chicken pox in any classrooms my son has been in though for the past 8 years.

But unlike my parent's generation, I don't remember anyone getting measles, mumps or rubella that I went to school with. The diseases were kept out of my schools because of the vaccines.

Growing up there was no vaccination for chicken pox and we all survived as we are here posting.

Chicken pox generally doesn't kill healthy kids. But it can cause miscarriages in pregnant women and deformities in fetuses. It can leave you open to secondary infections, including Flesh Eating Disease. And it can leave permanent scars.

I had a mild case of chicken pox, so I always thought it was no big deal. I thought the whole vaccine thing was just a ridiculous money grab by big pharma.

Then my toddler and baby got it just before the vaccine became available locally, and they got horribly ill. Fevers of 103/104 for the better part of a week. Pox in awful places, including their genitals. The doctor said it was the worst he'd ever seen in kids that young and he had me overdosing them on Antihistimines to basically keep them sedated. People often resist vaccines because they don't want to put chemicals into their kids' bodies. Well... I used a LOT of chemicals on them that week.

And they both have scars from it. My son has what looks like cigarette burns on his back and belly - chicken pox. My daughter has a patch of white skin on the back of her neck - chicken pox. Fortunately the scars on their faces are smaller, but you can still see them if you know where to look.

If all a vaccine would have meant was they got a milder case, I'd still have gone for it.

so do those who have been vaccinated.....just saying:rolleyes1

This is from the CDC. Most kids do get 2 doses.

Chickenpox vaccine is very effective at preventing chickenpox. About 80 to 90 percent of people who get vaccinated with one dose of chickenpox vaccine are protected from chickenpox. It is expected that an even higher proportion of those who get a second dose of chickenpox vaccine will be protected from chickenpox.

That being said, I am glad OP you are canceling your trip. So many MAW kids are there among others who are immunodeficient. My son had cancer and was a MAW child. If someone is exposed, it can be extremely dangerous. I am glad you are being responsible. I know going to a public place can put your child at risk anywhere, but knowingly taking your child out when they are sick is awful. So thank you! :thumbsup2

Na, why not take your pox party on the road? It isn't deadly right?

Seriously though- just from your signature i see that you have been to WDW at least twice this year. Why stress? As you said, Christmas comes once a year. Which means now you have 13 months to plan and daydream.

I just want to say I don't understand how this thread of her just venting of having to postpone her trip or hoping that her kids didn't have CP turned into bashing her? :confused3 Who gives a rats a$$ if her kids recieved a vaccination or not? That is up to her to chose. My daughter had CP at the age of 2, my sister had my niece over before we knew, and my niece never ended up getting the pox. And the CP are more contagious before the rash/bumps start.

I hope your other children do not catch the pox, you can look at moving the vacation into the new year. They still have decorations up for the first week in January. I am sure everything will work out fine. I have my fingers crossed that all will work out. :hug:

Well your ticker say Beach coming up. Maybe you could combine the funds from this trip and really have a great beach trip.

I am really sorry you have to cancel. Hopefully the pox will make their rounds and you will be itch free by the first of the new year.

Wonder if there is a wives tale about starting the new year with a chicken Pox?

I hope Disney was really accommodating when you called.

Again, sorry this happened and is over soon. Take a trip alone (that's a treat inside itself) and pick up all the cool Disney stuff at the Dollar store. We found some great one that my teenagers had fun with. (Favorite was spongebob and dora mosaics, look for those) Great stuff to do while cooped (really poor joke) up in the house!

She NEVER posted whether they were vaccinated or not. Why keep assuming?? Sorry but this time I disagree.

Growing up there was no vaccination for chicken pox and we all survived as we are here posting. Yes, for some kids chicken pox can be deadly BUT none of us even know whether or not her kids were vaccinated nor do we know if they are allergic to something in the vaccine that keeps them from being able to even get the shot.

Also, I just would like to point out that her kids could have previously had chicken pox and are getting them again as some people do have them more than once. This I know from personal experience as I had them twice as a kid. My brother was exposed to chicken pox all his life and ihe never contracted them until he was 24 and my son had them.

You just never know the situation and honestly the chicken pox vaccine is one that I believe the drug companies came up with for the extra money.
She has told us ober and over agian over the years what her views on vaccinations are4 adn that her kids haven't had this one. No she wants to whine because her choices have bitten her in the butt. She didn't think HER kids needed to be vaccinated because everyone else took that risk for her. SHe siad it herself. She didn't think her kids would get it, becuase veryone else is vaccinated.
One last thing, you do realize that just because you get vaccinated does NOT mean you will not get chicken pox right?? It does NOT matter about herd immunity when it comes to chicken pox. My 13 year old had chicken pox and was vaccinated.
of course I do. I thought everyone knew that???
There is no reason to assume anything: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=39435466&postcount=34

The OP made the choices that she felt was best for her family, but now those choices are biting her in the butt. I don't agree with her choices, but that's neither here nor there as it still sucks that she has to cancel her trip.
EXACTLY.

You made this choice for your family, and now you are finding out that yes, unvaccinated kids DO get childhood diseases.

Chicken pox is incredibly contagious, so likely all your children will get this, and you will be dealing with it for weeks. I did have a friend whose child got it as an infant, and it was a very mild case and didn't cause the child much discomfort. Hopefully it will be the same for your child.

Thank goodness I make the choices for my family.
You are truly thinking that I don't think that unvaccinated kids DO get childhood diseases. Of course they do, so do vaccinated children.

As to the pp, I never dreamed they would get chicken pox *8 days before a trip to Disney World*. Just like I never dreamed they would get appendicitis...or be in a car accident *8 days before a trip to Disney World*.

I haven't been "bitten in the butt" :sad2: nor am I disappointed or upset she has chicken pox. I'm rather pleased, actually.
I am disappointed that the Christmas trip we planned is going awry, just as I would have been had we all gotten strep throat right before our trip.

I know we have been before, but never at Christmas time and never with our new little one and never at a deluxe resort with my family before. It's like a whole different world during Christmas. And though we have been often, most times we don't even go to the parks, but just go as a resort trip to swim and relax.

My two youngest also woke up with slight fever and a few days later got spots on back face, tummy, and diaper area. Took them to the doc, and it is hand, foot, and mouth. Nothing they can do about it, it does itch them. Gave them benadrly. But it is contagious. That is another possibility. We are 19 days away so I understand your pain. Good luck. Hope it is not anything contagious.:flower3:

My two youngest also woke up with slight fever and a few days later got spots on back face, tummy, and diaper area. Took them to the doc, and it is hand, foot, and mouth. Nothing they can do about it, it does itch them. Gave them benadrly. But it is contagious. That is another possibility. We are 19 days away so I understand your pain. Good luck. Hope it is not anything contagious.:flower3:

Thank you for posting that. :lovestruc When I bring her into the doctor, I'll be sure to ask how to tell the differences. It's day 2ish and they are blistery, nothing in her mouth or on her hand/soles of her feet. I have to go do some research. She still doesn't have any other symptoms besides itchiness and spots.

ETA: About 99.9% sure it is cp. She has them on her head, in her ears. Pretty much everywhere.

Na, why not take your pox party on the road? It isn't deadly right?

Seriously though- just from your signature i see that you have been to WDW at least twice this year. Why stress? As you said, Christmas comes once a year. Which means now you have 13 months to plan and daydream.

Yes it can be deadly.

You chose to risk your kids getting chicken pox, they got chicken pox, your vacation should wait until they are no longer a danger to the rest of the people at WDW. I'm sorry, why is this even a question?

I agree with the above posters. Please stay home! If you infect an immune compromised person, that could be a very serious thing.

I also noted that you have been to WDW twice this year. I think you can wait until your family is healthy again.

wow--it's posts like this that remind me that I'm not on a crunchy natural board. The boards I belong to would NEVER treat the OP like this. And heck, we'd all be asking you to please send us tissues, etc that your kids have used.

OP, you have maintained great calmness in the face of nasty posters--well done.

BTW, flame away 'cause I won't visit this thread again. ;)

one thing to remember, a child with a rash most likely be not be allowed on airplane. something to think about, one child is overpox or hand foot and mouth so you go on trip. while there second child comes down, at plane home you are not allowed to board,now what. it has been years but know a family it happened to. both kids had the vaccine. they were forced to stay 2nd week but were not allowed to leave room. ps from years of working in daycare, kids can pass pox before you see the pox, if fact when you see the pox it is too late to stop the spread.

This is from the CDC. Most kids do get 2 doses.

Chickenpox vaccine is very effective at preventing chickenpox. About 80 to 90 percent of people who get vaccinated with one dose of chickenpox vaccine are protected from chickenpox. It is expected that an even higher proportion of those who get a second dose of chickenpox vaccine will be protected from chickenpox.

That being said, I am glad OP you are canceling your trip. So many MAW kids are there among others who are immunodeficient. My son had cancer and was a MAW child. If someone is exposed, it can be extremely dangerous. I am glad you are being responsible. I know going to a public place can put your child at risk anywhere, but knowingly taking your child out when they are sick is awful. So thank you! :thumbsup2

It definitely seems like the vaccine has helped a lot - probably in 80-90% of cases, which sounds pretty good - and accurate - to me. As a teacher I've seen a lot less chicken pox cases in kids than when I was growing up. I was also vaccinated probably about 15 years ago and never got CP, so at least it worked (so far) in one situation! :thumbsup2

But that aside, OP, are you 100% sure it's chicken pox? My cousin had something that looked VERY much like chicken pox, got it a few days before Christmas, and we thought for sure they wouldn't be joining us that year. However, it turned out to be some other sort of rash - I think it even blistered too - so maybe there's still hope?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter