8 days until our trip...and I think we have chicken pox

MistressMerryweather

DIS Veteran
:( So so sad. Why now? My 6yo woke up this morning with spots all over her back and stomach. I have 3 other kids. I won't know for certain until tomorrow or the next day, but I can't imagine it would be anything else.

I lay in bed unknowingly last night, and daydreamed of sitting at the Candlelight Processional. :sad1:

Are you sure it is the chicken pox? Rashes can spring up for so many many other reasons. It could just be a virus. Is it itchy?

Were your kids get the chicken pox vaccine? I know they can still get the pox, but it is generally much shorter and easier...so 8 days may be plenty to get over it!

I would be at the urgent care asap this morning....but I know that is not really necessary but I would want to know for sure.

Hoping for the best for you!!

Are you sure it is the chicken pox? Rashes can spring up for so many many other reasons. It could just be a virus. Is it itchy?

Were your kids get the chicken pox vaccine? I know they can still get the pox, but it is generally much shorter and easier...so 8 days may be plenty to get over it!

I would be at the urgent care asap this morning....but I know that is not really necessary but I would want to know for sure.

Hoping for the best for you!!

Thanks. :) She is itchy. I think she will be good to go in 8 days, but I have 3 other kids and someone else is bound to get it. I would hate to get to Disney and then spend all our time in our room sick, not to mention wasting all our moolah.

There isn't anyway to tell if it is chicken pox until the 2nd and 3rd day. Doctor says won't know until blisters and scabs appear.

Man. :( I'm so disappointed. Christmas only comes once a year and we've never been. I've been dreaming of this trip for a lifetime.

Haven't they been vaccinated? If they have, its unlikely that they would get it, or if they did, it would be much less severe.

Haven't they been vaccinated? If they have, its unlikely that they would get it, or if they did, it would be much less severe.

I don't really want to answer the vaccination question as I don't want to turn this thread into a debate for the vaccine or against it. YKWIM?

Regardless of vaccination, 2 out of 10 children will still get chicken pox even though vaccinated(per the CDC). I have 3 other children and the incubation period is 14-16 days. So, even if dd has a mild case and/or if everyone is well then, and we go on our trip, what will I do if another child comes down with it on route or while we are at DW? I don't know what to do. Sigh...

I am going to hope for the best for you that it's just a reaction to detergent or something. My DDs sometimes get random spots on their stomach with some itchiness, but it goes away. I hope that's all it is and that the rest of your kids are feeling good in 8 days!

I am going to hope for the best for you that it's just a reaction to detergent or something. My DDs sometimes get random spots on their stomach with some itchiness, but it goes away. I hope that's all it is and that the rest of your kids are feeling good in 8 days!

Thank you! Thank you! Fingers crossed. :goodvibes

My DD spent the entire day playing with a friend, who came down with chicken pox that night. I took her the following morning to the doctor and got her vaccinated. She managed to avoid the pox completely.

According to this website, http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/childhood-illnesses/chicken-pox-vaccine :

If my child hasn't had the chickenpox vaccine, or chickenpox, and he's exposed to someone with chickenpox, should he get the vaccine?

Yes. The vaccine is about 90 percent effective for preventing chickenpox if given within three days after exposure to the person who has chickenpox. Certainly, if the contacts do develop chickenpox after exposure, if they have been immunized the disease is likely to be much less severe.

It might be worth trying, and at the very least it would likely reduce the severity of the disease if one of your other kids comes down with it! :)

Have they had a fever? If so it could be scarlett fever which sometimes accompanies strep throat. My daughter gets that and sometimes her throat isn't even sore.

Would you consider postponing? There are people who are immune suppressed at WDW, like MAW kids. They really should not be exposed. Even in a adult who has had chicken pox, exposure can cause shingles. I would discuss this with your children's pediatrician.

Would you consider postponing? There are people who are immune suppressed at WDW, like WAM kids. They really should not be exposed. Even in a adult who has had chicken pox, exposure can cause shingles. I would discuss this with your children's pediatrician.

:thumbsup2

I just realized from your sig that you have a six-month old baby who couldn't get the vaccine even if you chose to go that route. Since there is a very high probability that your youngest will come down with chicken pox during your trip, I think it would be best to postpone. I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear...but suspect you know it's for the best. :hug:

Here's hoping, though, that it's still just a false alarm! I would still consider taking your other kids to be vaccinated; since they have now almost definitely been exposed, I personally would prefer to avoid or reduce the severity of the disease's course if I could!

OMG :(

This is one of my top nightmares.

We went on a trip two weeks ago with sick kids (to the beach). It wasn't too bad. I was thinking we'd be safe with this trip in 6 days but my DD was getting friendly with fellow preschoolers this week. I'm now hearing rumblings of a stomach virus. :eek:

Would you consider postponing? There are people who are immune suppressed at WDW, like WAM kids. They really should not be exposed. Even in a adult who has had chicken pox, exposure can cause shingles. I would discuss this with your children's pediatrician.

Of course I am considering postponing. ;) That is why I am so disappointed. Though I surely do not plan to stay holed up in my house with 4 kids for 8 weeks waiting to see if anyone else comes down with it. LOL

:thumbsup2

I just realized from your sig that you have a six-month old baby who couldn't get the vaccine even if you chose to go that route. Since there is a very high probability that your youngest will come down with chicken pox during your trip, I think it would be best to postpone. I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear...but suspect you know it's for the best. :hug:

Here's hoping, though, that it's still just a false alarm! I would still consider taking your other kids to be vaccinated; since they have now almost definitely been exposed, I personally would prefer to avoid or reduce the severity of the disease's course if I could!

Thanks, I'm still hopeful that it's some weird funk that will magically be gone in a few days, but...the bumps are flat and some pimple-like. I'm about 95% sure. It definitely isn't scarlet fever. The rash is altogether different looking.

I have no idea where they could have "picked it up". We've barely been out of the house in the past couple of weeks because everyone has been sick and is still sick. I was actually sort of glad because I thought, hey, better sick now then we we are on our trip. :sad2:

FTR, I did not say my children had not been vaccinated for CP. My 5.5 mos old definitely has not. Though, the number one thing they say about getting vaccinations is that you can not/rather should not be vaccinated if you are sick, which all of my kids are, so that wouldn't be a possibility regardless. In the past week they have had fevers, earaches, ect.

I'm just so heartbroken. We've planned every detail for so long. The last few nights I have been just giddy thinking about all the holiday yumminess.
Now, instead of sitting by the pool with happy kids, I have to tell them we probably won't be going. :sick:

OMG :(

This is one of my top nightmares.

We went on a trip two weeks ago with sick kids (to the beach). It wasn't too bad. I was thinking we'd be safe with this trip in 6 days but my DD was getting friendly with fellow preschoolers this week. I'm now hearing rumblings of a stomach virus. :eek:

Mine, too. Being sick, that is, but I never even dreamed that they might get chicken pox. CHICKEN POX! 8 days before a Disney World trip. Why now?! LOL

Bummer :(. I would postpone your trip. Do you have trip insurance?

No trip insurance, but we have southwest airline tickets and I'm sure we could just bump our trip up or beg the mercy of the Disney powers that be. I'm sure they don't want chicken pox possibilities running around the parks with their knowledge...not that I would do that. LOL

I don't really want to answer the vaccination question as I don't want to turn this thread into a debate for the vaccine or against it. YKWIM?

Regardless of vaccination, 2 out of 10 children will still get chicken pox even though vaccinated(per the CDC). I have 3 other children and the incubation period is 14-16 days. So, even if dd has a mild case and/or if everyone is well then, and we go on our trip, what will I do if another child comes down with it on route or while we are at DW? I don't know what to do. Sigh...

Since you avoided answering the question they are vaccinated then they are not. You are worried that your others will all get sick. Not according to the CDC. Cancel your trip and vaccinate your kids. This way your trip next Christmas will be a fun filled event.

I'm sorry, for you and the predicament you may be in. I do beg you to postpone if it is chicken pox also. My Dear friends will be on Thier MAW trip, as well as many others, I am sure, the week you are going.

I never had Chicken Pox as a child (before the vaccine.) While attending college after my first daughter (when I was 23) I contracted Chicken Pox because someone brought thier kids to spend the day in the student union while they attended classes. I remember seeing the cute little red heads running all around the small cafeteria and thinking "what the Heck???" I guess they didn't have a babysitter for thier 2 sick kids. :confused3 I didn't know it at the time, but I was 5 weeks pregnant and had a miscarriage.

I think it is really unfair when people knowingly take risks that may infect, or affect other people.

I'm sorry you might have to postpone your trip, but if the kids become sick during the trip, I don't think they will have a great time. I also had to postpone our spring break ( march2011) trip, now we are hoping to enjoy our trip this Dec. I hope everything turns alright for your family. I know how sad you must feel.:hug:

No trip insurance, but we have southwest airline tickets and I'm sure we could just bump our trip up or beg the mercy of the Disney powers that be. I'm sure they don't want chicken pox possibilities running around the parks with their knowledge...not that I would do that. LOL

Disney will let you reschedule, no problem. The only thing is is if you currently have a package, you have to reschedule a package. If you have room only, you have to reschedule a room only stay. I know this because we recently had to push back a trip, as my sister's youngest had to have her appendix out a couple weeks before we were to leave. We did end up upgrading our resort, so at least we have someting extra nice to look forwards to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter