• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

9/16/2017 Magic Transatlantic from Barcelona

I've been following the MDR embarkation lunch scenario, too. It really makes no sense to me but I'm sure I'll manage to find food one way or another. Lol

Lacing up my running shoes for this week's online activity booking!

Question for those who have been to Cadiz--I would love to see Seville (despite the 2 hour distance) and want to know if you recommend doing it on your own or with a guide. DCL is offering a fully guided tour and a DIY tour (transportation and map included). Is this something you can do completely on your own without multiple transportation changes?

Lacing up my running shoes for this week's online activity booking!

Question for those who have been to Cadiz--I would love to see Seville (despite the 2 hour distance) and want to know if you recommend doing it on your own or with a guide. DCL is offering a fully guided tour and a DIY tour (transportation and map included). Is this something you can do completely on your own without multiple transportation changes?

Do they have port adventures up? I'm running over to look!

Do they have port adventures up? I'm running over to look!

This is what is driving us nuts. You have to look at Transatlantic port adventures and the Northern European/Mediterranean port adventures to find all of our ports. I emailed DCL to see if they would be combining our ports under Transatlantic before our booking window opens this week (as well as having all possible port adventures listed), but they haven't responded to my second email. As of today, you still have to bounce around in the DCL website.

You also have to read them carefully because I understand some are not available on our itinerary due to the day we are in port.

Yeah, I've been frustrated by their disinterest. I've been trying to not get too excited about any of them since I don't know if they'll be there when on=line booking starts.

Yeah, I've been frustrated by their disinterest. I've been trying to not get too excited about any of them since I don't know if they'll be there when on=line booking starts.

I had a discussion with my husband last night about port excursions. We are going to review what is out there tonight and pick the ones that interest us. Our goal is to book them on the 19th but continue to research other options. If we find something we like better, we'll cancel the DCL excursion(s).

I had a discussion with my husband last night about port excursions. We are going to review what is out there tonight and pick the ones that interest us. Our goal is to book them on the 19th but continue to research other options. If we find something we like better, we'll cancel the DCL excursion(s).

Good plan.

RedSox68 - I'm so sorry about all you've been going through. I have nothing but admiration for your pluckiness and perseverance. I was in the ER myself last week for a scary incidence of severe vertigo. It was ultimately diagnosed as BPPV but NOTHING even close to the trials you're going through. I wish you only the best and thank you for staying with the thread.

Chirple- I'm booking DH and myself on the Seville tour tomorrow. We did the Taste of Jerez in 2007 and loved it but this time, we're all in for the 8 hour tour.

RedSox68 - we're still in a GTY6A and don't have a room number yet. I'll let you know as things develop and no thank you on the postcard exchange. We're all in for the FE but I know you have us down for that one.

Gismo-I'm excited to see you again! I remember you from the other WBTAs and look forward to visiting with you. :)

Countdown is on for booking excursions!!!!! Who's pulling an all-nighter with me? We're planning on booking the Highlights of Ribeira Grande in the Azores and are undecided in Lisbon for the moment. I was SOOOO disappointed when I saw that the Puffin excursion isn't going to be offered on the Sept 16 sailing. I understand that it's at the end of their season but it's not like I need to see hundreds of the little buggers, just one or two would do for cryin' out loud! I'm investigating going off grid and finding our own puffin excursion while we're there.

DCL excursions and Palo dining booked!

Here's a rundown of what we chose:
9/16 - Palo dinner
9/18 - Cadiz: Seville on Your Own
9/19 - Lisbon: Lisbon by Tram and Coach Adult Only (this appealed to my husband the most)
9/20 - Palo brunch
9/21 - Ponta Delgada: Highlights of Ribeira Grande
9/24 - St. John's: St. John's Highlights Adults Only (morning departure)
9/24 - Palo dinner

My husband also booked two shaves in the spa. I have not booked anything there, even though I enjoyed my massage the last cruise.

So... paid in full date was Friday. I know this because I was woken up at 6:55 a.m. on Saturday to some expletives from my husband, followed by "our transatlantic cruise was cancelled!" I had May 19th in my head for so long, then started looking at excursions and now have June 3rd in my head and apparently merged the PIF date and the booking date. Called DCL immediately, only to find out that they don't open on the weekends until 9:00 a.m. It was a very long and tense two hours. Tried to go on line, but our cruise was indeed missing from the "upcoming cruises" spot. There was a GTY 7a available for $1200 more than we owed. We have non refundable air, so we needed to get on this cruise! DH was afraid it would be gone in two hours, so put a hold on it without putting money down. Finally got someone on line at 9:10 a.m. Thankfully, we got some pixie dust. With a supervisor's approval, our reservation was reinstated and we made the final payment. Phew!

So we (DH Nick and I) are back on this cruise in room 7104. The postcard exchange sounds like fun, and very packable! Please include us in that.

This is our first time sailing as gold members. The cruise that put us over was the 2015 TA. We enjoyed the longer cruise so much that we couldn't wait to book this one. (Can't believe I almost screwed it up!)

RedSox, thanks for setting all this up and sticking around even though you aren't sailing. All the best as you deal with your health issues.

~Jenny

So... paid in full date was Friday. I know this because I was woken up at 6:55 a.m. on Saturday to some expletives from my husband, followed by "our transatlantic cruise was cancelled!" I had May 19th in my head for so long, then started looking at excursions and now have June 3rd in my head and apparently merged the PIF date and the booking date. Called DCL immediately, only to find out that they don't open on the weekends until 9:00 a.m. It was a very long and tense two hours. Tried to go on line, but our cruise was indeed missing from the "upcoming cruises" spot. There was a GTY 7a available for $1200 more than we owed. We have non refundable air, so we needed to get on this cruise! DH was afraid it would be gone in two hours, so put a hold on it without putting money down. Finally got someone on line at 9:10 a.m. Thankfully, we got some pixie dust. With a supervisor's approval, our reservation was reinstated and we made the final payment. Phew!

So we (DH Nick and I) are back on this cruise in room 7104. The postcard exchange sounds like fun, and very packable! Please include us in that.

This is our first time sailing as gold members. The cruise that put us over was the 2015 TA. We enjoyed the longer cruise so much that we couldn't wait to book this one. (Can't believe I almost screwed it up!)

RedSox, thanks for setting all this up and sticking around even though you aren't sailing. All the best as you deal with your health issues.

~Jenny

Thank you, Jenny. And OMG -- I am so glad you were able to retrieve your reservation. I would have been catatonic when I realized what happened.

So what is the general consensus with the booking window -- did anyone have computer glitches or problems, and did everyone get what they wanted?

We looked into booking next year's WBTA, but really didn't like the itinerary. This year's itinerary was perfect for us, so we shall keep looking. Doc said I should be able to travel again once they find the right meds, etc.

Thanks all. Happy planning.

~Jenny

Jenny: I have added you to the front page under Stateroom and Postcard Exchange.

If anyone has anything else they want me to add to page one, don't hesitate to let me know!

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this board (actually new to meet and greets in general). Completed my first Disney cruise in March of this year and am all booked for this one in Sept! Yay! Very excited as we have always want to do a transatlantic. I live near NY so it's only a 1 way flight for us. We are SR6056 Sabrina, George, Remy (2 y/o) and JoAnne (MIL). I am glad to meet you all before the cruise and excited to meet in person.

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this board (actually new to meet and greets in general). Completed my first Disney cruise in March of this year and am all booked for this one in Sept! Yay! Very excited as we have always want to do a transatlantic. I live near NY so it's only a 1 way flight for us. We are SR6056 Sabrina, George, Remy (2 y/o) and JoAnne (MIL). I am glad to meet you all before the cruise and excited to meet in person.

Sabrina (just an incredible name) ~~ Welcome to you and your family. How exciting to be doing your 2nd Disney cruise on a transatlantic. You will just love it and have a great time. I will list you on the stateroom list on page one. Do you want to be a part of the postcard exchange?

Okay, I *still cannot find Cadiz and Lisbon under Transatlantic port excursions. I *still need to look under the Europe/Mediterranean excursions. Frustrated, I emailed DCL this morning to ask why I could not find them under Transatlantic.... Here is their reply:

"We regret the challenges you have encountered on our website.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. However, we are unable to
duplicate this challenge."

Then they linked Cadiz and Lisbon for me. Am I really seeing some weird bug?? Are y'all able to see Cadiz and Lisbon under Transatlantic??

Okay, I *still cannot find Cadiz and Lisbon under Transatlantic port excursions. I *still need to look under the Europe/Mediterranean excursions. Frustrated, I emailed DCL this morning to ask why I could not find them under Transatlantic.... Here is their reply:

"We regret the challenges you have encountered on our website.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. However, we are unable to
duplicate this challenge."

Then they linked Cadiz and Lisbon for me. Am I really seeing some weird bug?? Are y'all able to see Cadiz and Lisbon under Transatlantic??

Nope. I only found them under the Europe/Med section as well. I realize that there are only 2 TAs but it just feels to me like DCL is just giving them a passing glance and not really putting much effort into them or maybe that's just the IT dept. there.

I wrote back being more specific, and they politely thanked me for my feedback and said they would let management know.

o_O

I know it's an old frustration. Thanks for giving me a place to whine and stomp around about it! :love2:

Oh good gravy! They STILL can't fix this? Maybe they see something different on their end, but from an end-user experience it is frustrating. I was just coming here to ask if anyone else booked excursions yet and saw @Aanna's post. I never got a response to my second email. Shocker, said no one ever.

Welcome to all of the new people on this thread! I asked my husband if he was interested in signing up for any of the tasting seminars so we might be checking into those when we get our Navigator in port.

Any other platinum cruisers having difficulty checking in? I keep getting kicked out on different laptops using different browsers.

So the good news is I don't have to have brain surgery :cheer2: The "bad" news is I may have to be on epilepsy meds. Funny thing, I don't care about that as much as I worry about the side effects of these dang drugs. Have you ever listened to the warnings in some of those commercials! :eek:

I'm glad it's a manageable diagnosis and knowing th problem will definitely help! Glad you have stuck with the thread even if u can't sail u will be part of my cruise

In case anyone hasn't been following the main DIS DCL cruise threads, it appears that Carioca's no longer offers an embarkment day buffet. My husband and I always head there as it is less chaotic than Cabana's for that first onboard meal. I broke the news to him this morning, and he's as disappointed as I am. We like buffet style in the MDR for those meals because it allows us to take a sample of different dishes and get more of the ones we enjoyed.

That's very disappointing! I'm partially sighted and the buffet that first day is just too busy for me to cope with

Yes, I read that it seems that Enchanted Garden is only offering a menu lunch on embarkation day! And I agree, we loved the less chaotic experience of the buffet in the MDR. I would think the buffet would be easier on the servers than doing menu service!

Does this mean we might get lumieres open for a sit down?

Gismo-I'm excited to see you again! I remember you from the other WBTAs and look forward to visiting with you. :)

Great to see some familiar people! Looking forward to catching up!

~Jenny

Omg glad you got it sorted! I would have been a mess

Welcome! Glad to see a new face!

That's very disappointing! I'm partially sighted and the buffet that first day is just too busy for me to cope with

Does this mean we might get lumieres open for a sit down?

I believe this means that Carioca's will be a sit-down meal instead of a buffet on embarkment day. Hopefully, this will work well for you. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that since we are Platinum and should have early boarding that we can beat the masses to the buffet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter