A Bash, a Benson, and a Banshee: A DIS 20th Event Solo Trip ** new Aug 2nd, 2017 - Complete! **

@TheMaxRebo - Continuing to love your trip report, I really felt the excitement through your pictures! I saw a video of Jodi's performance, and she was a-maz-ing!! Like you said - so down to earth, charming, and just "real".

And Flatty Heidi, and Fluffy Heidi BOTH :love::lovestruc:love: the pic with Sorcerer Mickey - THANK YOU!!!!

Oh wow, I think I need to try that pineapple drink at Trader Sam's!! Somehow, we have still never made it over there, even on our adults-only trip. Maybe one of these days...

The concert sounds like it was a really amazing experience. Very cool that they were able to get Jodi for the party! That's pretty incredible.

I will remember this monorail ride forever! I can still feel the excitement building as we were all headed to the party!

I couldn't believe how many people were there!!

This is a must do for my son on every pass through Epcot.

I got emotional listening to them!

The flatties are covering me up! I am sitting right behind Heidi!

She was AMAZING!

Fully agree about the excitement building - so much planning and thinking about the event and how it would go and then we were on our way there!

Definitely was a lot of people that were all excited and maybe a bit unsure of how things would go - all in a relatively tight space

I definitely think we will make Test Track more of a priority our next trip!

Yeah, I think I did to - and just seeing how much it meant to them

Sorry!

Jodi Benson really was a treat - so glad she was part of the evening!

Glad you finally got to try Test Track and that you enjoyed it! Seeing Jodi Benson really must have been an incredible opportunity! Sounds like you were having a great time at the party thus far!

I am glad I enjoyed Test Track so much - definitely fun to ride in a group of DISers as well. The party was great - but the time was going really fast as well!

@TheMaxRebo - Continuing to love your trip report, I really felt the excitement through your pictures! I saw a video of Jodi's performance, and she was a-maz-ing!! Like you said - so down to earth, charming, and just "real".

And Flatty Heidi, and Fluffy Heidi BOTH :love::lovestruc:love: the pic with Sorcerer Mickey - THANK YOU!!!!

Thanks Heidi! I think "real" is a great word to use to describe her and I think she truly feels blessed to have the life she does and genuinely proud of her kids and stuff. To be in a room full of DIS "Friends" and for her to talk to us like we were all friends just really added to the evening.

I know you have a soft spot for Sorcerer Mickey! Did you watch the video of the updated Fantasmic! at Disneyland? He is obviously still the star of the show

Oh wow, I think I need to try that pineapple drink at Trader Sam's!! Somehow, we have still never made it over there, even on our adults-only trip. Maybe one of these days...

The concert sounds like it was a really amazing experience. Very cool that they were able to get Jodi for the party! That's pretty incredible.

That pineapple drink is really good - and feels very "Disney" with it having Dole Whip in it

Yeah, i was really glad when they added her concert - made it feel like an even more special event

Just got caught up on quite a bit and have to say - I am REALLY hungry and thirsty now! :rotfl: Love all the updates and the excitement of the party and all the DIS-ers. Sounds like a great time! :goodvibes

Just catching up! That was such an amazing night! I couldn't believe that you hadn't ridden Test Track before but I am glad I got to be part of your first ride. Meeting members of the team, and many others was just so much fun! Jodi was amazing of course too!

Just got caught up on quite a bit and have to say - I am REALLY hungry and thirsty now! :rotfl: Love all the updates and the excitement of the party and all the DIS-ers. Sounds like a great time! :goodvibes

haha - food always does tend to be a big part of our Disney trips. Was fun to try some new places this trip! Definitely had a great time at the part - though it went too fast!

Just catching up! That was such an amazing night! I couldn't believe that you hadn't ridden Test Track before but I am glad I got to be part of your first ride. Meeting members of the team, and many others was just so much fun! Jodi was amazing of course too!

Yeah, still not sure how I never got at least one ride on Test Track. I know once the tiering started we always used our Tier 1 for other attractions (Soarin' and now FAE) and the wait was always too long for standby. Not sure why it never happened on trips before the tiering started (though, they were less frequent before that point). Oh well, very glad I got to go on it that night and we had fun - and I think my kids will like it so it will be a part of future trips!

So much of the event was great but it is hard to mentioned something beyond Jodi being the best part

[QUOTE="TheMaxRebo, post: 57910623, member: 174177"
I know you have a soft spot for Sorcerer Mickey! Did you watch the video of the updated Fantasmic! at Disneyland? He is obviously still the star of the show[/QUOTE]

Have never watched any of the DL videos of this, because I didn't want to be jealous. Now I might have to. :)

[QUOTE="TheMaxRebo, post: 57910623, member: 174177"
I know you have a soft spot for Sorcerer Mickey! Did you watch the video of the updated Fantasmic! at Disneyland? He is obviously still the star of the show

Have never watched any of the DL videos of this, because I didn't want to be jealous. Now I might have to. :)[/QUOTE]

Obviously don't want you to feel jelous - but it is one that the kids and I often watch together (either the Disneyland version or the WDW version) and I think is one that can be very much enjoyed in video format vs having to be there (obviously better to be there in person, just saying it isn't as much of a lesser experience than other things in the parks)

Just note you will be humming the theme song from it for the next few days ;)

Have never watched any of the DL videos of this, because I didn't want to be jealous. Now I might have to. :)

Obviously don't want you to feel jelous - but it is one that the kids and I often watch together (either the Disneyland version or the WDW version) and I think is one that can be very much enjoyed in video format vs having to be there (obviously better to be there in person, just saying it isn't as much of a lesser experience than other things in the parks)

Just note you will be humming the theme song from it for the next few days ;)[/QUOTE]

Okay @TheMaxRebo - HAD to watch it! And the theme song has ALWAYS been stuck in my head (LOVE that sound track ever since I heard it and bought the sound track during my very 1st viewing of the WDW show, MANY years ago!). However - I think I like the WDW sound track better - maybe because it's familiar to me? I also thought some of the "shared" songs/sequences were slower in the DL version, which made it a tad less enjoyable for me - again - maybe it's just familiarity? I also thought some of the voices sounded strange/off to me.

I will say the DL version has many more special effects, the water screens are more impressive, and there seemed to be much more/better use of pyros, fire, water screens - like I said, just more visually impressive overall. There did seem to be less chraacters on the character boat, but I also saw what seemed like changing numbers over the years in the WDW version

I also personally thought the Tink flying out at the end of the nightmare sequence made it seem much more like TINK saved the day, NOT Sorcerer - enjoy WDW's version of that part MUCH better. Then again - it's Sorcerer Mickey - which is why I love either version of the show in the first place. I also missed the lagoon being set on fire, with him putting it out. WDW always gives me bigger "feels" during his part, and I always got hoarse yelling "Yay, Sorcerer Mickey, I love you!" at him. :)

I will say I still love the show, and the fact that is IS Sorcerer Mickey, and i'd GLADLY go see EITHER version, and listen to EITHER sound track - again and again and again!!

Last but not least - the above s (of course) IMHO, and I am also going on 1 viewing of the DL version (after watching Craig's video), and my last viewing of the WDW version in person (have never seen on video, always wanted to BE there!) was over 4 years ago, but think I remember my favorite show fairly well enough to sensibly comment (at least I HOPE so!) :) Thanx again for bringing this all to my attention. :)

Part 25: Illuminations - nice work pal!
Friday June 2nd 12:00am pm - 12:45am

So after Jodi finished performing we were hanging out for a bit just chatting about what we experienced and what to do next when someone announced that illuminations would be starting in 5 minutes - I guess we didn't realize how long the show was! So we headed right out and walked right up to the edge of the lagoon in the Canada area. I have to say that when someone asks me "what was the best part of the trip?" one of the first things that comes to mind is this moment of going basically right from seeing Jodi Benson perform to just walking out and getting a front row view of Illuminations - just something that I never thought I would get to do in my life and likely never will again.

we actually ran into Amber and Marie there - I know that is one of their favorite spots to watch Illuminations. I didn't want to bother them too much as I know this is a favorite show for them and just wanted to let them enjoy it, but it was nice to have the chance to say hello again and let them know how much I appreicated getting to spend some time with them the previous day

Then the show started - this is the first time I have watched from that specific spot and it is a really good spot - definitely feel very close to the action! I tried not to take too many pictures and just enjoy the moment but I couldn't help myself from taking a few

01_Illuminations%201.jpg
02_Illuminations%202.jpg
03_Illuminations%203.jpg

I love Illuminations: Reflections of Earth - I just think it is an amazing show with so many great effects and a great storyline. I continue to hear rumors that the show will change (which only amplified after Siemens dropped their sponsorship) and I totally get that things have to change at some point. Whatever takes it's place I do hope it keeps the "illuminations" feel though and isn't just full of Disney IP and stuff - I like when the parks keep their uniqueness.

After the show ended we decided to head back to the Land Pavilion to ride Soarin' as we hadn't done that yet

04_Soarin%20sign.jpg
05_Hanger%20C.jpg
06_Soarin%20map.jpg

I like the map they show on the preview screens - though I do feel like for people riding for the first time it gives away where we will be flying over

So glad the new version of the ride kept the intro with Patrick! The Flatties were happy about that too.

07_Nice%20Work%20Pal.jpg
08_Flatties%20take%20flight.jpg

So I had only ridden the new version (the Soarin: Around the World) once before this and that time I made sure to request to sit in row B1. As you can see in one of the pictures above we were in the C theater which meant we were more at the side. Wow, does that make a big difference! The first time (sitting in B) I didn't really notice much of the curvature and distortion that I read a lot of people complaining about. This time? This time it was so much more extreme - it felt like the Eifel Tower was bent in half at one point! I still enjoy the ride but in the future I will be sure to ask to sit in B1 as it makes a huge difference. I also think the ride needs to add some more areas and then randomize which locations you go to (like they now do with Star Tours) to keep it fresh

Coming up - time for one more ride

I also think the ride needs to add some more areas and then randomize which locations you go to (like they now do with Star Tours) to keep it fresh
This is a great idea! From your lips to the WDW gods.

I agree that the Soarin' curve is bad. I don't usually ask to be seated elsewhere so just go with the flow.

I also really wish they could have kept 1 theater running with classic Soarin. Sigh.

Yay! I've always wanted to ride the new Soarin'! :) Continued enjoyable report!

Part 26: Test Track again and the night ends
Friday June 2nd 12:45am pm - 2:00am

At this point we realized we likely only had time for one more ride before 1am hit and we all turned back into pumpkins. We made the call for it to be Test Track so hustled across Future World for another spin.

01_Test%20Track%20entrance.jpg

Slightly different styled car this time - and did get the ride photo this time (I was next to Ryan and Jamie was in the back and had been in our group most of that night and also with us in Animal Kingdom the night before - hard to think that was only like 24 hours earlier!)

02_Test%20Track%20car.jpg
03_ride%20photo.jpg

After that ride it was just after 1am and the party was technically over. Ryan and I were both getting a ride back to Pop from Dina again that evening so we were messaging where to meet up - she was saying goodbye to people at the Land Pavilion so we headed that way to meet up with her outside of the pavilion). Alexa was also coming with us and she came out first and then Dina did a bit later - hey, lots of people to say goodbye to!)

Then we made our way out - I had to take one picture at least of Spaceship Earth ... it was looking mighty pretty and how often do you see it with literally no one around it?!?!

04_SSE%20empty.jpg

We then asked a cast member at the gates if she would mind taking a group photo - she was super friendly and very happy to ... and at this point it was 1:30am and the party was definitely over so it was very much appreciated. Left to right it is Alexa, me, Ryan, and Dina

05_Group%20photo%20infront%20of%20SSE.jpg

We got back to Pop and by the time I got changed and settled, etc. it was a bout 2am. What a long and amazing and tiring day! To think it started about 17 hours earlier and included:
  • Running a 5K around Pop/AoA
  • Disney Springs for some souvenir shopping and a great lunch at Homecomin,
  • Winning a few things at the auction (during which the DIS team passed $500k total in donations to Give Kids the World)
  • That terribly long trip from Pop to Wilderness Lodge
  • Drinks and snacks at both Geyser Point and Trader Sam's
  • Watching Happily Ever After from the ferry dock
  • The party - including my first trip on Test Track, watching Jodi Benson perform, and Illuminations

I am a bit tired just writing it all out!

Coming up next - the last day as I head home!

TTFN

This is a great idea! From your lips to the WDW gods.

I agree that the Soarin' curve is bad. I don't usually ask to be seated elsewhere so just go with the flow.

I also really wish they could have kept 1 theater running with classic Soarin. Sigh.

We started requesting B1 even for the old film - it's never an issue, you usualyl will just have to wait one additional ride)

I agree about having one theater with the roiginal or have it shown int he evenings or on certain days or something - I mean, they have the digital version now, it can't be that hard to switch it out

Yay! I've always wanted to ride the new Soarin'! :) Continued enjoyable report!

Thanks Heidi! I enjoye the new version but it is definitely far from perfect - do miss some of the original

The private illuminations was fantastic! It was so cool to just walk out five minutes before the show started and find a good spot for the show.

Totally agree on Soarin. being off to the side makes a difference for sure!

Boy do I look sunburnt in that TT photo!

That CM was super nice at the end of a long night. It was a great way to end a great night with some amazing new friends!

Awesome report, awesome pic of Spaceship Earth, and of you guys! Yes, I DEFINITELY got tired reading about your LOOOOOONG day, but it did bring back great memories of some of mine in days past - which usually included closing down maybe the AC, maybe the Jazz Club, but usually SOMEWHERE on PI!! :)

I take it you DISers had Epcot to yourselves? Heaven!

I was lucky enough to ride Soarin' twice in January and both times asked for the front row center. So worth the wait.

Test Track is a favorite of ours. Very cool that you were able to manage two rides!

I agree riding the monorail into Epcot provides the most beautiful view. We got some great pictures during our March trip of F&G.
I want to thank you so much I am loving all the group meets and pictures from party night. I'm sad we weren't able to attend but with you sharing I feel like we were there.
I can't believe you had never rode TT. Now you have to take the family they will love it.
Wow seeing Jodi Benson preform must have been amazing.

How cool to watch Illuminations right after the concert with a perfect view. I miss Tapestry of Nations so much.
We got the C section of Soarin once never again.
Glad you got to ride TT again.
Great photo at the end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter