A Disney-addicted mom goes on a "Dream" cruise *update 7/6*

For a while now I had wanted to try staying in a Cabin at Fort Wilderness. I liked having a separate bedroom and a full kitchen and I thought we would enjoy the activities at the Fort a lot. I wasn't sure my husband would share my love though. Given that this was only going to be a 3 day weekend stay, I figured this was the time to give it a try.
We picked up our rental car (which was a small SUV) and loaded up our bags (not an easy task). There was some typical kid fighting in the back which was fixed by distributing electronic devices all around. My navi-guessing took us on an interesting route to the Fort but we made it there. I'm not sure the road we took was actually open to the public but.... :rolleyes1
I went to the check-in building and thankfully our Cabin was ready! I had pre-ordered a golf cart (the golf cart was necessary but there were plenty so I didn't need to pre-order). We also rented a stroller from an outside stroller company and it was waiting for us. It was a double jog-type stroller with a rain cover. The kids thought it was quite comfy and we eliminated any whining over being too tired to walk. I drove the golf cart and Tom drove the car and we found our way to our Cabin. And I'm a terrible DISer because I somehow have ZERO pictures of our Cabin.
A few observations on the Cabins...
Each Cabin has its own driveway where you can JUST fit a car plus a golf cart. There is an outdoor outlet to plug the golf cart in and charge it at night. The cabins were adorable but closer together than I had expected. There are several "main" roads in the Fort with loops, or minor roads that make a circle) that come off of them. I *think* we were loop 2600. Although your car is permitted at your Cabin, you cannot park at any of the facilities at the Fort. So no parking at the boat dock or the pool or the restaurants. You need to either take a golf cart (faster/best way to get around) because there is golf cart parking OR you need to take the internal buses (never did this). I honestly wouldn't stay at the Fort without a golf cart because I can't fathom riding the bus around in a dripping wet bathing suit.
Anyway once we unpacked our belongings at the Cabin, we took the golf cart down to the boat dock and hopped on the boat to Magic Kingdom. The boat was easy and Zachary could stay in the stroller. It was a super hot and humid day and Magic Kingdom was astoundingly crowded by the time we got there.

Amanda

I would love to try the cabins but it always seems so expensive compared to the room deals! I'm guessing I'd also have to factor in the rental price of a golf cart too? Are they pricey? We went to fort wilderness once in 1993 for the backyard bbq (which was just ok to us) but we had the most amazing time watching the fireworks on a deserted beach because everyone else thought they'd been cancelled due to rain! That remains one of my fondest memories of wdw :)

I would love to try the cabins but it always seems so expensive compared to the room deals! I'm guessing I'd also have to factor in the rental price of a golf cart too? Are they pricey? We went to fort wilderness once in 1993 for the backyard bbq (which was just ok to us) but we had the most amazing time watching the fireworks on a deserted beach because everyone else thought they'd been cancelled due to rain! That remains one of my fondest memories of wdw :)

We had a 30% off room discount but the golf cart is about $60-70 per day so that made up the difference. Having a full kitchen and a separate bedroom is a life-saver for us because we don't mind cooking on vacation and my kids don't do well in one room. Zachary tends to talk himself to sleep which doesn't go over well with the other 2 kids... :scared1:

Amanda

We didn't get a golf cart. I just couldn't justify the price when the cabins were already so expensive (although well worth it IMO). We had a military discount of 40% off but because of the peak season, they were already pricier than normal.

While I can see a golf cart making things easier, we had our van if we wanted to drive to parks, and the bus system getting around the campground works fine. Sometimes I had to wait a bit for a bus, but it wasn't a big deal. I did take the boys to the Meadows pool once, but we stopped for ice cream before getting back on the bus and they weren't that wet. We usually used the quiet pool by the cabins, which we could walk to from our cabin.

I agree about the cost of the golf cart. My kids are younger than yours which makes a difference. It was also a short trip.

Amanda

I agree about the cost of the golf cart. My kids are younger than yours which makes a difference. It was also a short trip.

Amanda

Definitely. It was so nice not having a stroller this trip! I'd orginially thought about requesting a cabin near the bus stop, but thought it might be noisier there. It was so quiet where we were that I was glad I didn't make the request.

It sounds like we would be ok without the golfcart. My youngest is 6 now so would be at least 7 by the time we'd go and he's pretty active and good at walking (especially if there's ice-cream to be had along the way ;)). My eldest got engaged in January so I'm figuring we will either need a cabin or villa in our future and we prefer staying somewhere handy so we dont have to drive (the whole wrong side of the road thing makes it a wee bit stressful :lmao:)

luvpoohandcompany said:
It sounds like we would be ok without the golfcart. My youngest is 6 now so would be at least 7 by the time we'd go and he's pretty active and good at walking (especially if there's ice-cream to be had along the way ;)). My eldest got engaged in January so I'm figuring we will either need a cabin or villa in our future and we prefer staying somewhere handy so we dont have to drive (the whole wrong side of the road thing makes it a wee bit stressful :lmao:)

It's not the wrong side it's right side lol. ;)

But I agree I don't think I would be able to drive over there either.

Yeah, it would be easier with a golf cart, but it's definitely not necessary.

I remember being very nervous about driving on the other side when we moved to Australia. Thankfully we lived in a fairly small town and traffic wasn't a big issue. I think I did worse when we moved back to the states! :lmao:

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

I remember being very nervous about driving on the other side when we moved to Australia. Thankfully we lived in a fairly small town and traffic wasn't a big issue. I think I did worse when we moved back to the states! :lmao:

:rotfl: I'd forgotten you lived in Oz for a bit! I loved it there :) We did actually use a hire car way back in 1993 on our first trip and for the most part it was fine (I made my other half drive) but I just think it's more relaxing all round if disney drives. Plus it's nice to have a glass of wine together at dinner in epcot which we couldnt do if one of us had to drive. Mind you I keep looking the wrong way for traffic when I'm crossing the roads so can you imagine what I'd be like if I was driving on them :scared1:

Thanks for the info about the Fort Wilderness cabins. Not sure they would be right for my family. We dislike driving on vacation, even when it is on the "right" side of the road.

Navi-guessing!!! :lmao:

Glad things seem to be working out well so far- room ready and an easy trip to the MK even though it sounds like the crowds and weather conditions were not ideal once you arrived.

Has it really been 2 years since you purchased your home?!?

Thanks for the info about the Fort Wilderness cabins. Not sure they would be right for my family. We dislike driving on vacation, even when it is on the "right" side of the road.

:rotfl::rotfl: Part of the problem is that BC/YC spoils you for life lol;)

Glad things seem to be working out well so far- room ready and an easy trip to the MK even though it sounds like the crowds and weather conditions were not ideal once you arrived.

Cant believe it's been 2 years either. We must be getting old :scared1:

Definitely. It was so nice not having a stroller this trip! I'd orginially thought about requesting a cabin near the bus stop, but thought it might be noisier there. It was so quiet where we were that I was glad I didn't make the request.

I loved the quiet at the Fort. And I went for an early morning run one day and saw deer crossing the road!

The golf cart is a convenience but not a necessity. We loved having one but as much because it was a novelty.

As opposed to the left side? :lmao: Or the dark side? :rotfl2:

I always worry that I'll get run over in London because I look the wrong way for traffic!

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

:rotfl: I'd forgotten you lived in Oz for a bit! I loved it there :) We did actually use a hire car way back in 1993 on our first trip and for the most part it was fine (I made my other half drive) but I just think it's more relaxing all round if disney drives. Plus it's nice to have a glass of wine together at dinner in epcot which we couldnt do if one of us had to drive. Mind you I keep looking the wrong way for traffic when I'm crossing the roads so can you imagine what I'd be like if I was driving on them :scared1:

I totally understand the problem with crossing the street!!!

While we certainly had a good stay at the Cabin, Tom isn't in a hurry to go back. He loves the convenience of walking distance and would also prefer not to drive too much on vacation. I loved the peace and quiet. And it had lots of Disney touches while not feeling at all like we were at Disney (in a good way).

Two years in July since we closed on our house!

Great TR! :)

Thank you!!!!

Cant believe it's been 2 years either. We must be getting old :scared1:

We are all getting OLD! :rotfl:

Amanda

We are used to summer heat and humidity at Disney World since we've traveled at the end of August for 3 straight years. What was new for us was arriving in the mid-day heat (we usually are rope drop types) and the July 4th weekend crowds. Holy Moly!!!!
We grabbed some lunch and rode on Pirates and then pretty much gave up on the lines. We finally headed over to Hall of Presidents. I hadn't been in there since the 1970's! In typical fashion there was a potty emergency 2 minutes before the doors opened. Tom and the other 2 headed into the show while I ran to the potty with the child in question (I honestly think it was Nathaniel but can't remember anymore). We made it back just as the doors were closing and were able to get in. :rolleyes1
Pre-show silliness:
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I really loved the show. I thought it was very moving and I was glad we went. Not everyone shared my enthusiasm...

ry%3D400

Yup. Zachary fell sounds asleep in Tom's lap and slept the whole way back to the Fort!
ry%3D400

At this point the kids didn't care much about rides. It was HOT and HUMID and CROWDED and nobody wanted to stay at MK. So we took the boat back to the Fprt, hopped on the golf cart back to the Cabin, and decided to go swimming!

A few Fort decorations for your viewing pleasure...

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Amanda

Fortunately, the boat ride to and from the MK is a ride!

YIKES!!! On the heat and crowds!

We haven't been to the Hall of Presidents in a gazillion years either!

Thanks for sharing the decorations at the campground with us. What a riot! That looked like an enthusiastic family!

Fortunately, the boat ride to and from the MK is a ride!

YIKES!!! On the heat and crowds!

We haven't been to the Hall of Presidents in a gazillion years either!

Thanks for sharing the decorations at the campground with us. What a riot! That looked like an enthusiastic family!

The boat was very pleasant. Especially because we didn't need to fold up the stroller! ;)
Many of the campsites were quite decorated but that one was impressively so. I've heard that the campgrounds are a site to behold at Christmas! :thumbsup2
I forget that we are usually back at the resort by the afternoon when the heat and humidity are so bad!

Amanda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter