A Full Go on Riviera Resort

Are you talking about the verbiage in this pic? Yeah, we don’t interpret that the same way. To me, “modern masterpiece” means the modern addition of the Skyliner or that it will have all the newer conveniences like USB ports, mobile ordering, the new couch Murphy beds, all the things Walt would not have found in his travels.

Its not about having usb ports..... You look at previews on the resort and modern was stated as well as in the Disney description of the resort and items of the resort. Yes there are classical touches as well but I never said there wasn't just that there was modern design built in that would become dated for someone who visits the resort for the first time 10+ years from now.

So do you have examples of what the Riviera looks like to people who have never been there? I don’t understand what you mean... are you just saying most people haven’t been to the French or Italian Riviera so they shouldn’t base a hotel’s theme on it?

Doing a resort designed on Europe or the Riviera is fine (although I would have liked Paris more so than Riviera). A good example of what I am saying is Wilderness lodge. It can become "outdated" but it is directly in line with the normal visitors idea of what they "picture in their mind" of what a Parks/Ski/Outdoor Lodge should be even though they have never been to one. Another great example is Poly which when you walk in you distinctly have that grand pacific resort feel.

Like I said the shortfalls of the grand classic design of Riveria wouldn't stop me from buying there. I also think some of the touches of the Riviera that you might equate with France or Italy as a whole may be missed and viewed more so outdated.

I guess I object to the whole “pixie dust in the eyes” method of discounting someone’s opinion.

You completely misinterpreted my comment. You don't agree that a large majority of the people who view Riviera negatively right now would actually be all positive on the resort if the resale restrictions were not in place? Does that single change make them say completely false things or did it instead wake them up to look closely at the resort and see things for what they actually are?

Current positive reviews are made up of people who like riviera and a few that have pixie dust. I would say Riviera likely has the least amount of pixie dust in peoples eyes than any other resort to open up because of the resale restrictions. So in a sense people who view Riviera are actually more grounded than we might have saw otherwise.

of course I see the difference in the height of the ceilings. It’s a DVC resort, not a hotel, and the lobby has a lot of influence from the Paris metro stations as well. It may not be to your taste and I’m not saying it’s Disney’s best lobby or even close but I find it elegant and inviting and reminds me of exploring France and Italy. To each their own.

It doesn't have anything to do with taste, the lobby is fine. You were the one to post pictures to try and show me how they were the same so I pointed out how I moreso saw them as different. I also don't think saying "its a DVC resort" is a good excuse for a subpar lobby, I am still on vacation at Disney and adding a masterful lobby wouldn't have added that much cost to a resort where it costs that much to stay.

Also don't you see the issue with french metro being the design structure of a lobby set in the riviera which is supposed to be a luxury resort on the sea? I think this goes in to another negative that I saw people calling out which is Tiana being featured.

Remember this whole exchange is about other resorts being called outdated. I am simply stating my opinion on why I think Riviera is going to be outdated even quicker than most other resorts as the theme is going to be missed by the normal guest. You can disagree thats fine.

The percentage of SV at BWV and RIV is about the same, 25% vs 30%. And currently standard studios at RIV disappear quickly at 11 months. It's highly likely that a similar pattern of difficulty to book SV at RIV will develop. Even more so because the point chart is higher and the purchase price is much higher than how it was when BWV went on sale, so even more people might be looking at saving points as often as possible. Or maybe the Tower studios will take some pressure off studios, we don't really know. Until booking patterns are established, anedoctical evidence is not really worth much. You have not been able to book BWV SV for one trip, while I was able to get SV with a waitlist last September. If we look at my lucky experience and I compare the SV I got with a preferred studio at RIV, I could say RIV costs double, but it doesn't really mean much.
At the moment, it's better to compare SV vs SV or Preferred vs Preferred at the two resorts to assess the average difference in cost between the two resorts. If we do this, RIV isn't double the cost, but once we compare buy in cost, maintenance fees and point charts, RIV is on average considerably more than the other Epcot resorts.

This is a good point. Skyliner, split bathroom, full size single bed under the TV, a real bed instead of a sofa can be really valuable to soe poeple, who might be happy to pay more to get better amenities. If you say: I'm happy to pay more for RIV because the amenities are better for me, then I cannot fault your reasoning. If you say that it can cost just about the same than owning BWV, then I can tell you that it can actually cost double (if you book RIV preferred vs BWV standard) and on average it costs around 1,5X.

This is were I lose you. You say that the resale restrictions don't matter for you because you don't intend to sell. But you were able to buy RIV paying just 8k because you were able to sell a BWV contract for more than you paid it. The fact that the resort kept its value very well over the years granted you the possibility to switch home resort for a longer contract with minimal expense. In 25 years time, if all the doom and gloom scenarios turn to be true, your children might not be able to do the same. You more than anyone else should appreciate how valuable it is that DVC kept its value over time unlike other timeshares.
Of course, there are worst thing in life than being stuck at RIV (which I agree, has a lot or upsides) like I don't think you would have been upset being stuck with your BWV contract. But life happens and having an option is better than not having it.

Oh, I had trouble getting SV studio for many trips. it’s been several. I haven’t gotten a SV studio in October for years.. I used the example for this year only because I was also booking RIV. My F & W trips for at least the last 3 years were BW view rooms.. So yeah, this was year 4 of not getting it when I needed it. And my BWV points were bought primarily for F & W. I also couldn’t get it for Memorial Day weekend in 2019, but, I’ll admit, I missed the 11 month window by a week, So, out of 5 trips, I was batting 0.

Can we try not to take everything out of context though? I like BWV but I much prefer BLT and VGF. I have SSR points to supplement stays at RIV as well that when you take into that cost, even if I book preferred view, my cost, as you defined it, becomes pretty good.

I and many other RIV owners know the points charts are higher. Not sure how often I need to say that I know it. But, if I or others end up being able to stay at RIV for comparable costs in points to other choices..not all choices, but some.,.and it will be possible...then there is no reason to debate this,

Anyone who either loves the other Epcot resorts, or wants the cheapest room possible, will not book RIV. But, for people who see the choices as comparable, then there are ways to make it turn out close,

Last edited:
Oh, I had trouble getting SV studio for many trips. it’s been several. I haven’t gotten a SV studio in October for years.. I used the example for this year only because I was also booking RIV. My F & W trips for at least the last 3 years were BW view rooms.. So yeah, this was year 4 of not getting it when I needed it. And my BWV points were bought primarily for F & W.
And yet 25% of people staying at BWV will be staying standard view, like 30% at RIV. 5% won't make a difference, it will be difficult to book those as well once the resort will sell out. Now more rooms are declared than inventory sold.
I hope you haven't bought RIV planning to stay standard, it's never a good idea to buy for a limited category.

And yet 25% of people staying at BWV will be staying standard view, like 30% at RIV. 5% won't make a difference, it will be difficult to book those as well once the resort will sell out. Now more rooms are declared than inventory sold.
I hope you haven't bought RIV planning to stay standard, it's never a good idea to buy for a limited category.

Nope, I bought to have a chance at SV room, However, I also believe that it will take a while to reach the same stage as BWV SV because let’s face it, as I keep being told, the points charts are high. I bought BWV about 8 years ago and I got 4 years worth of trips before I started getting locked out of SV studios for October. I’m used to adjusting.

So far, I have 3 SV studios booked for the fall, and a tower studio for the summer. 2 were done at the 11 month mark and 2 at the 9 month mark, I am now recently retired so I have the added benefit to adjust my travel times to give myself an even better chance for stays in SV rooms.

Again, until it becomes an issue, I’ll take advantage of the point savings when I can get it and when I can’t, Ill just use my cheap BWV points (which cost me $58/point) at 7 months and book preferred

To be fair, I resort hop and even with RIV, I won’t be staying there every trip.

Last edited:

Its not about having usb ports..... You look at previews on the resort and modern was stated as well as in the Disney description of the resort and items of the resort. Yes there are classical touches as well but I never said there wasn't just that there was modern design built in that would become dated for someone who visits the resort for the first time 10+ years from now.

Doing a resort designed on Europe or the Riviera is fine (although I would have liked Paris more so than Riviera). A good example of what I am saying is Wilderness lodge. It can become "outdated" but it is directly in line with the normal visitors idea of what they "picture in their mind" of what a Parks/Ski/Outdoor Lodge should be even though they have never been to one. Another great example is Poly which when you walk in you distinctly have that grand pacific resort feel.

Like I said the shortfalls of the grand classic design of Riveria wouldn't stop me from buying there. I also think some of the touches of the Riviera that you might equate with France or Italy as a whole may be missed and viewed more so outdated.

You completely misinterpreted my comment. You don't agree that a large majority of the people who view Riviera negatively right now would actually be all positive on the resort if the resale restrictions were not in place? Does that single change make them say completely false things or did it instead wake them up to look closely at the resort and see things for what they actually are?

Current positive reviews are made up of people who like riviera and a few that have pixie dust. I would say Riviera likely has the least amount of pixie dust in peoples eyes than any other resort to open up because of the resale restrictions. So in a sense people who view Riviera are actually more grounded than we might have saw otherwise.

It doesn't have anything to do with taste, the lobby is fine. You were the one to post pictures to try and show me how they were the same so I pointed out how I moreso saw them as different. I also don't think saying "its a DVC resort" is a good excuse for a subpar lobby, I am still on vacation at Disney and adding a masterful lobby wouldn't have added that much cost to a resort where it costs that much to stay.

Also don't you see the issue with french metro being the design structure of a lobby set in the riviera which is supposed to be a luxury resort on the sea? I think this goes in to another negative that I saw people calling out which is Tiana being featured.

Remember this whole exchange is about other resorts being called outdated. I am simply stating my opinion on why I think Riviera is going to be outdated even quicker than most other resorts as the theme is going to be missed by the normal guest. You can disagree thats fine.

I think you are confusing Disney's use of the word modern (meaning up to date) with Modern or Modernist.

If people who have never been to the Riviera don't understand or appreciate the touches that are authentically French or Italian, I don't see it as a shortcoming of the resort itself or something that will prematurely age the resort. YMMV

Are people more grounded or are some simply being negatively influenced by the hypercritical comments of the people who want the resort to fail because of the restrictions? And I don't care what context you put it in, saying people have pixie dust in their eyes discounts their opinion as valid.

I wasn't saying the lobbies were the same. I was saying they all incorporate classic, timeless elements. I agree the fabrics themselves and probably that chandelier will become dated, but columns and marble won't.

I think if people are going to pick apart every piece of artwork in a resort, they are bound to find details they don't think fit the theme. Again, not something I think will prematurely date the resort.

In 25 years, BWV/BCV 2.0 will be coming online (assuming we are not all underwater), and they'll have point charts and buy in costs that will reflect their new status. While it's true that a lot of the Riviera-lovers are in love with the newness of the resort, there are a few resort- and room- specific touches that are design-based and not just new paint/carpet related (although the new paint/carpet are nice). For one, I think (hope) that the murphy beds are the wave of the future. They are SO much more comfortable than the sofa beds. Whatever issues they were having with them seem to have been cleared up at RIV, although SSR still seems to be having issues.

With the oceans rising on average 1.7-1.8 mm a year like they have for the past 170+ years, I think WDW is safe for a while, since it is 82 feet above sea level.

I agree that the sour grapes is about the restrictions and the hope that it would be cheaper because it was built on moderate land.

It looks right up my alley and I can’t wait to try it out. I would been pick up a restricted resale for the right price when I consider I already self restrict my VGC and VGF points. But learning of one toilet in a one bedroom has me now questioning that. 1 beds are my choice and it was awful being in OKW this summer with only one toilet despite being such a massive and lovely room. Lame. I guess it’s a 2 bed or bust. Maybe that’s their point. Sigh.

saying people have pixie dust in their eyes discounts their opinion as valid.

Except there are people that have pixie dust in their eyes, not sure what to tell you, its not something I just made up personally. So again to clarify (I think this is the 4th time) that comment that you are so hung up on was directly in relation to a comment about how not having resale restrictions would have had everyone being positive on the resort. I would like to think that a good portion of people here are not critical of Riviera only because of resale restrictions and trying to get it to fail. (I supposed you will try to say I am but personally I prefer BWV, don't want to stay elsewhere, have no plans to add on until my current contract expires, and honestly think Riviera is going to do great regardless of what we say on here).

Are people more grounded or are some simply being negatively influenced by the hypercritical comments of the people who want the resort to fail because of the restrictions?

What is more likely a huge conspiracy simply because of resale restrictions (which don't and won't effect a large portion of the ownership) or people having legitimate issues, concerns, or questions that were woke up because of the resale restriction?

I think if people are going to pick apart every piece of artwork in a resort

Except I am saying the resort as a whole is not timeless, that was literally my point. Not that some small thing is off. You can go through my post history if you really want and you will see I have not been bringing this up and was simply a comment in response to people saying BWV is dated. I will leave it at that on this whole debate over the aesthetic of the resort because it is a beautiful resort right now in time, all my comments are on the longevity which we won't see for 10-15 years time.

I will add I have the same question regarding BLT as well holding up well because its very sterile where as Riviera at least has some character in my mind (even though I personally feel many visitors will miss it in the future).

I agree that the sour grapes is about the restrictions and the hope that it would be cheaper because it was built on moderate land.

Then you go on to say you have an issue with the resort because of the 1 bathroom. I mean I think that just backs up the point that people are not just making up negative thoughts simply because of price or resale restrictions. I will say though if the resort was the cheapest I suspect people would over look the flaws just like they do with SSR/OKW because its the cheapest.

With the oceans rising on average 1.7-1.8 mm a year like they have for the past 170+ years, I think WDW is safe for a while, since it is 82 feet above sea level.

Disney would just put up a dam and install the all new gondola system next to the brand new Venice inspired resort hahaha.

Except there are people that have pixie dust in their eyes, not sure what to tell you, its not something I just made up personally. So again to clarify (I think this is the 4th time) that comment that you are so hung up on was directly in relation to a comment about how not having resale restrictions would have had everyone being positive on the resort. I would like to think that a good portion of people here are not critical of Riviera only because of resale restrictions and trying to get it to fail. (I supposed you will try to say I am but personally I prefer BWV, don't want to stay elsewhere, have no plans to add on until my current contract expires, and honestly think Riviera is going to do great regardless of what we say on here).

What is more likely a huge conspiracy simply because of resale restrictions (which don't and won't effect a large portion of the ownership) or people having legitimate issues, concerns, or questions that were woke up because of the resale restriction?

Except I am saying the resort as a whole is not timeless, that was literally my point. Not that some small thing is off. You can go through my post history if you really want and you will see I have not been bringing this up and was simply a comment in response to people saying BWV is dated. I will leave it at that on this whole debate over the aesthetic of the resort because it is a beautiful resort right now in time, all my comments are on the longevity which we won't see for 10-15 years time.

I will add I have the same question regarding BLT as well holding up well because its very sterile where as Riviera at least has some character in my mind (even though I personally feel many visitors will miss it in the future).

Then you go on to say you have an issue with the resort because of the 1 bathroom. I mean I think that just backs up the point that people are not just making up negative thoughts simply because of price or resale restrictions. I will say though if the resort was the cheapest I suspect people would over look the flaws just like they do with SSR/OKW because its the cheapest.

THEM: "I think there would be a lot more love on the Dis for Riviera if it wasn't for the new restrictions on resale."
YOU: Personally I think it would just be more people with pixie dust in their eyes. I think the restrictions have people looking a little more closely for issues.

People can certainly be critical of Riviera without wanting it to fail or objecting to the restrictions, just as there can be more people who are appreciative of it without having pixie dust in their eyes. Saying there would only be more love for it because of pixie dust is a way of discounting that appreciation or in the very least the power of a barrage of negative comments. It's merely your assumption and a dismissive one at that. I'm not misunderstanding you. I just don't agree with you.

It’s not a conspiracy (that's your word) for someone to express their negative opinions widely and loudly in the hopes of coloring the opinions of others. I’m not even saying that is your personal intent as I do not follow your posts so I would not know, and I certainly don't think it's the intent of anyone who doesn't like some elements of the resort. I can see we don't have the same opinion as to what makes something timeless or what constitutes good theming so we will have to agree to disagree.

The only thing I can see becoming dated very quickly is an element like that stupid chandelier, which is a lighting style that is very trendy right now in modern commercial construction.

As far as the rest of the decor, and space solutions, I think it will hold up well and take longer to date out.

The reason some are calling BWV and BC rooms dated is because of the fixtures and construction style of the spaces. The refurbishments look great, and certainly helped, but there are some elements of the rooms and spaces that would need to be gutted and rebuilt to modernize them. The bathroom styles and layouts are most notable, as well as the closets and straight-through line of the bedroom space. In the BWVs: The pedestal sink in one of the bathrooms, the jet tub opening out into the bedroom. In both resorts: the short bathtub/shower combo, standard toilet. These are the old way that hotel rooms used to be built. Construction styles have changed. The refurbishments could have addressed this better, but maybe that would have made the budget too high.

This is not in any way to insult Beach Club and Boardwalk, because I think they are charming resorts, and I would certainly stay there. It is just my opinion that the Riviera rooms are my preference, and are much more spacious and of a better quality and design. And they’d better be, for the location and price.

Last edited:
The only thing that gives me pause regarding Riviera is the points chart. PRICEY rooms. I thought CC was bad (and I'm so, so, so happy we opted for Poly vs. CC when we did), but these points per night are a definite wow factor.

The only thing that gives me pause regarding Riviera is the points chart. PRICEY rooms. I thought CC was bad (and I'm so, so, so happy we opted for Poly vs. CC when we did), but these points per night are a definite wow factor.
How do the point costs for a Poly studio compare to a RIV studio? I ask because our last VGF studio stay, I thought about using the points to stay at Poly instead, and was shocked to see that they cost the same. And by my eyeballing, RIV rooms seem to be a little less points hungry than VGF.

Welcome home. Every DVC resort has its fans and detractors so to say one is superior to another is in the eye of beholder. I just came back from WDW and tried skyliner several times just for fun. I feel it adds a considerable value to Riveira as well as Caribbean beach resorts who now have a very easy and quick way to get to two parks. I didn't get stuck so that factors in to my feelings.

The outside of the Riviera doesn't appeal to me at all but then either does BLT. I will not make a judgement about resort itself until I stay there as that can make all the difference in the world from a first impression that could be faulty. I own at BWV and AKV and while I like AKV , I'm not a fan of staying there. I bought based on hype of having animals right outside your window. The problem is that wore off for me after first visit and nothing else about the resort except Jiko appeals to me. I would sell but have been able to use points elsewhere with little issue so let it be.

Now BWV is my primary home and after 20 years and multiple visits, I still love it there. I love walking to two parks, now the skyliner for variety and sometimes monorail to Ticket and Transportation center. The ambience of the Boardwalk area itself sells me. The rooms are nice enough though not as nice as GFV but comfortable and functional. That is my main priority. The points are such that it is easy to stay longer and that factors in to my planning.

I still have enough time left on my contracts to get me into my 90's
but have thought about buying more points for my grandson to use and feed a new generation of Disney lovers. Not being able to sell Riveira easily is a big turn off for me. I love being able to try all the resorts and love them each for their uniqueness. My husband and I actually love OKW for just the two of us and a non Disney vacation. It is a lovely setting and large rooms seal the deal.

Just do your research before buying and learn how to use point system or you could get buyers remorse fairly quickly. I worry that when I'm gone my family will get the contracts but not know how to maximize their use. It takes a lot of time to know how to get most for your money.

This is me, my DH and I both LOVE BW. It's the only place my DH wants to stay. We love the location, the views (arguably some of the best at WDW), love the lobby, the pool area is fun but could be better (love the pool at WL), love the Belle Vue Lounge. The rooms are just fine for us, maybe not as nice as GF but still nice. I can't comment on RR as I have never been there in person, I do plan to visit later this month at which time I will be in a better place to comment on that resort.

Like the above poster I too have enough time on my contract to take me into my 90's, not sure I need anymore time then that! LOL ;)

The real point I wanted to make is that all these many threads about RR remind me of all the many, many threads that used to appear debating which resort was better the BW or BC. Now it seems BW and BC are being drawn into a new debate that now includes RR. I guess BW and BC aren't doing to bad if these two "old ladies" can still compete with a brand new resort. Of course I'm partial to the BW but every resort has its pros and cons and each one of us has our own personal preferences. It just strikes me as funny that we are still having p__sing matches trying to say which resort is best. If you're fortunate enough to be able to afford DVC and smart enough to realizes it's value why not just count your blessings and enjoy whatever resort you're at. Why does it have to be a competition?

With that being said I'm very much looking forward to my next trip to WDW later this month. I'm looking forward to riding the new Skyliner, hope it doesn't breakdown while on it! I'm looking forward to visiting the new RR and enjoying a meal or two.

How do the point costs for a Poly studio compare to a RIV studio? I ask because our last VGF studio stay, I thought about using the points to stay at Poly instead, and was shocked to see that they cost the same. And by my eyeballing, RIV rooms seem to be a little less points hungry than VGF.

RIV is less than VGF and pretty on par with Poly. I know I am spending more to stay vGF in June than I would have to book at RIV. And I got SV studio at VGF too. It would have been a substantial bit more had I gone LV.

It is also comparable with BLT LV. So, anyone staying at those places will not find that RIV is out there.

Now, whether they’ll feel its worth it is the unknown. The people who just look at preferred view costs at RIV against the 2042 resorts..and CCV because it’s points were done to match BRv...will definitely notice the difference if those 2042 resorts are their resorts of choice

I'm not sure if CC refers to Copper Creek or if I'm just missing the reference... but the points charts for studios at Copper Creek are nowhere near the Polynesian rooms. I apologize if I'm misinterpreting the post but in case I'm not, the only way CCV rooms are more points than Polynesian rooms is if one is comparing 1-2-3 bedrooms points vs Polynesian, which only has studios.

Personally I think the worst part of riviera is the budget look of the building , a giant concrete mass with decorative accents that are supposed to act as the theming to this Disney Courtyard Marriott structure. Interiors look nice, grounds are passable , location looking on CBR isn’t ideal. The transportation W skyliner however seem to be a big plus and to me is the big selling point that sets it apart from SSR, OKW.

I was referencing the points costs of the 1BR and 2BR at CC, Riv, etc. (GF could be grouped in there)

I'm well aware Poly has only Studios and the Bungalows...but it has 360 studios compared to relatively low numbers of studios at CC, GF (unsure of room allocations at RIV). If I'm buying at a resort that has all the accomodations (Studio, 1BR, 2BR, GV or other "special), I'm likely looking at the 2BR chart when making my purchase because I don't get the appeal of 1BR considering the steep increase in points when compared to studios. We did just that during a recent Aulani purchase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter