A Goof Became Dopey: Running After Dopey (comments welcome)

Training for 10K

Pre-10K Training

Week of 1/3/2016

16.32 Miles completed in 2016
13.15 of 220 Miles completed in pre-10K plan
13.15 of 14 Miles completed this week

1/3 - 3 miles planned, 3.16 miles completed
Today marks the beginning of week five of the Higdon Advanced 5K training plan. This week calls for a practice 5K run, which essentially leaves me with back to back "race" weeks. I took into considerations the times @DopeyBadger gave me earlier in this thread and really tried to slow down some. I was successful in doing so, though not quite as slow as the times listed above. The roads and sidewalks were a bit snowy and slippery, thanks to lazy neighbors and annoying snowmobiles, but nothing too treacherous. 3.16 miles in 30:35, a 9:41 pace.

This week also marks the beginning of incorporating more strength and cross training into my workout plans. Over the years my DW and I have accumulated a large number of Beach Body workouts. I have decided to cycle through four of these programs, doing a week of each at a time. Today marked the first day of week one of Body Beast, which meant Chest and Triceps. I kept the weights lighter as my goal isn't to bulk up, but instead tone up and lean out. It was still a very challenging workout. I followed this up with the Body Beast abs workout. Planks are not a good idea after a chest and triceps workout. I was shot and didn't complete nearly as much as I'd have liked. Oh well, lesson learned.

1/4 - 3.75 miles planned, 3.97 miles completed
Today's run was an interval workout. The plan called for 9X200m intervals at an 800m pace. I ran a one mile warm-up at an 8:50 pace. I then ran my intervals 200m on, at around 6:30 pace, and then 200m off at whatever pace ended up being needed to recover. This was followed by a cool down of about .75 miles at around a 9:45 pace. The run felt strong and my fast intervals were good. The run ended up being a little longer than planned due to missing a turn. I guess that can happen when you're on a speed interval and not looking for the upcoming 90 degree turn. 3.97 miles in 36:30, a 9:12 overall pace.

This was followed up by the Legs workout for body beast. As if my legs weren't tired enough before now, this workout finished them off. I kept the weights light again, and had to skip most of the lunges due to off and on knee problems I have. I finished most of the workout and felt it was a good start to my day.

1/5 - No run today
Today was a rest day on the running front, but still had lifting on the schedule. Today's Body Beast workout was Back and Biceps. The workout was tough as always, but definitely was a good workout. The process of focusing on specific muscle groups is a nice approach. It gives the rest of my body time to recover during the workout. Also, still trying to get back into this whole working thing. After having the past two weeks off really makes it difficult to get back to things. Now I have to get up early to workout, and then actually go to work. Ugh.

1/6 - 35 minute tempo run planned, 25 minutes completed
Lesson of the day: When you have activity induced asthma and are running in sub-freezing temps, don't forget to use your inhaler first. Every now and then I manage to do that, and it's never worked out for me. Other than almost coughing up a lung, my run went pretty well. I wasn't sure how it would go at first due to my legs still being really sore from the Leg workout I did earlier this week, but after a quarter mile or so they were feeling pretty good. No lifting today, but do have a soccer game to play tonight. 2.90 miles in 25:04, an 8:38 pace.

1/7 - Cross Training
Today was a planned cross training day. I did the Speed & Agility workout from Shaun T's Insanity: The Asylum workout. It is a great cardio workout, and being a soccer player on the side I can never do enough to keep my feet quick and agile. The workout has a lot of jump rope and agility latter work, along with some core focus. It is draining and works my muscles in ways different from running, and was a nice change of pace.

1/8 - Rest day
Today was a planned cardio rest day, but I still had lifting on the schedule. I did the Body Beast: Shoulders workout today. I have had a history of shoulder problems, so I never lift very heavy when working them. Light weights with slow reps to build strength and endurance, but not a lot of bulk. My arms didn't really want to move for the rest of the day after completing this workout.

1/9 - 5K planned, 5K completed
The schedule had a practice 5K listed for today. The temperature was also plummeting throughout the day today. By the time I manged to get out the door it was down to about 3 degrees with a windchill of about 15 below. This is by far the coldest temperature I've ever ran in. I started out strong and maintaining my race pace from about a week ago. The cold finally started getting the best of my lungs and I had to slow down. Time was much slower than I'd hoped, but it really became just trying to complete the run. 3.12 miles in 27:35, an 8:51 pace.

The run was followed by the last day of Body Beast week 1. This saw a return of chest and tris. I kept the weights the same, but was able to squeak out one more push-up per set. Progress. I followed this by doing Ab Ripper A from Tony Horton's P90, a slightly easier version of P90X. I kept up with the program, and managed to finish every crunch, leg lift, and whatever other crazy things he had us do.

Last edited:
Training for 10K

Pre-10K training

Week of 1/10/2016

36.01 Miles completed in 2016
32.84 of 220 Miles completed in pre-10K plan
19.69 of 25 miles completed this week

1/10 - 3 miles planned, 3 miles completed.
Today day beat yesterdays record cold temperature for running for me. The temperature was a very chilly 3 below today, though the wind was much calmer and the windchill was about the same as yesterday, 16 below today. It was an easy run today, so I set out at a much slower pace than yesterday. I kept my pace around 9:30-9:35/mile. It was a little quicker than I should be running my long runs, but I needed to stay warm as well. People not clearing their sidewalks in my neighborhood is very quickly becoming one of my biggest pet peeves when running. It's just dangerous for anyone that needs or wants to use them. Ugh, why won't the city do anything about these people. 3.00 miles in 28:32, a 9:30 pace.

After my run I had strength training planned. With the beginning of a new week comes the start of a new strength training program. This week will be week one of ChaLEAN Extreme. This plan focuses on slightly heavier weights, and slower movements. It also does a lot of combined exercises. So squats with a core addition or lunges with lateral raises. I followed this with ChaLEAN Extreme: Ab Burner. My abs weren't quite ready for being worked out on back to back day, but I did make it through the workout. Over a week in and I haven't skipped a workout yet, YAY!!!

1/11 - 5 mile interval workout planned, 2.51 miles completed
When the alarm went off this morning it was a very frigid 12 below zero. I decided to go back to sleep and tackle my run this afternoon when it was forecasted to warm up to a whopping 8 degrees. That seemed like the best idea to me. So, that's what I did. I got home from the chiropractor and immediately changed and headed out the door. What I wasn't counting on was snow starting to fall. It wasn't a heavy snow, but enough to cover the road and sidewalks to the point where I couldn't see ice patches. About half a mile in I turned to cross the road and found a patch of ice. Crash, and down I went. I immediately hopped up and continue my run. The whole side of my left leg was feeling it at this point. I got to speed interval three of seven and couldn't take it anymore. I gave up and took a slow pace home. I made it home at the 2.5 mile mark. A sore left leg, a tender right wrist, and apparently a a knee gushing blood. I'm so mad about not finishing my run today. UGH!!! 2.51 miles in 22:56, a 9:01 pace.

1/12 - Cross Training
For cross training today I choose to do Shaun T's T25 Alpha Cardio workout. It involces a series of different moves that gradually build in intensity. For example, the first was walking high knees, then high knees on your toes, then slow jog high knees, and finally fast high knees. Each round continues in a similar fashion. During the workout there are two burnout phases where you do a set of four of the most intense exercises. The workout is intense and there are no prescribed breaks in the program. I finished this workout and then did Asylum Volume 2: Ab Shredder for my abs. I suck at planks. That's all there really is to say about this workout. Next was ChaLEAN Extreme: Burn 2. This was focused on biceps, triceps, and rows along with the legs.

I also decided to jump into the yoga class at work. I had gone through the beginners yoga class that was offered before the holidays. Since that was done I had to join the regular class. This was way more intense than the beginners class. Also, it was quite plank heavy, and if I sucked at them this morning, it was only worse at lunch with tired arms. I did feel a bit better afterwards though, so I guess there is that.

1/13 - 40 minute tempo run planned, 40 minutes completed
Today was a 40 minute tempo run. I feel good through the warm up on these runs, but am still trying to figure out the right build up in pace and right max pace. I had to begin my cool down a little sooner than I had hoped due to being gassed. Eventually I'll figure it out. Hopefully next week's will be better. The good news is that I made it the full 40 minutes this time though. That's a first for me. 4.45 miles in 40 minutes, a 9:00 pace

Soccer game this afternoon was a total bust. Lost a second. After winning 3 in a row to start the season we have since drawn 2 and lost 2. Injuries are plaguing my team, and it seems to be striking most of the better players on my team. Ugh. At least it's just a fun league for work.

1/14 - Lifting planned, unplanned rest day taken
I tried to get up early this morning to lift, but it didn't happen. I decided to just make it a rest day and move the lifting to Friday. My wife and I are going to visit my brother's son in early February, and have been asked to be godparents. He has scheduled the baptism for when we are there, so the wife had to go dress shopping. So since we did that after work, I had no time for lifting.

1/15 - 5 miles planned, 5 miles completed
After a rest day yesterday, it is now time to get back at it. Working from home allowed me to wait until the sun came up to go for my run. I ordered a set of Petzl Spiky Plus spikes for my shows to help with traction on the ice side walks around my house. They seemed to help some at least. The Higdon plan called for a pace a little faster than my easy pace. My goal was to keep it around a 9:15 pace, but ended up running a little quicker. The run felt strong and wasn't a struggle at all so that was nice. 5.00 miles in 45:21, a 9:04 pace.

After completing my run, it was off to the basement to do the ChaLEAN Extreme Burn 3 workout I neglected yesterday. The focus was primarily on shoulder presses and lateral raises combined with the lower body. Lifting is starting to become easier, but abs and push-ups still kill me. Hopefully I'll get there eventually with those exercises.

1/16
- 75 minute run planned, 45:17 completed
Despite the windchill advisory, -4 degree temperature, and -23 degree windchill I decided to go for a run. This was not my best idea, and as you can see it didn't quite work out completely. I was feeling strong and having no real problems with one exception. I had to readjust my ArmPocket as it had slid down my arm, and pulled the strap too tight. This lead to reduced blood flow to my left and and it beginning incredibly cold. I took it off and began carrying it, but warmth was not returning to my hand, so I decided the safest thing for my hand was to take the most direct route home. It was a good run, but I just wish the weather would cooperate a bit more, like it was before the new year, so I could get these run in. 4.73 miles in 45:17, a 9:34 pace.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say congratulations on your upcoming fatherhood! It truly changes your life.

Good luck in your Dopey goals. They are ambitious, but that is the way to do it! Looks like you are getting great advice from DopeyBadger, there is very little I could offer beyond that.

I will say this, it takes guts to put your goals out publicly and I admire that. Good luck in your 10k prep. Looking forward to following your progress.

Just wanted to say congratulations on your upcoming fatherhood! It truly changes your life.

Good luck in your Dopey goals. They are ambitious, but that is the way to do it! Looks like you are getting great advice from DopeyBadger, there is very little I could offer beyond that.

I will say this, it takes guts to put your goals out publicly and I admire that. Good luck in your 10k prep. Looking forward to following your progress.

Thanks, I am super excited about having our fist kid, but a bit nervous too. Those things really need to come with owner's manuals. @DopeyBadger has definitely provided some valuable advice, and I definitely appreciate the input he's provided.

I figure if I put my goals out there there will be an extra level of accountability for me. A ton of people may not be following along, but I know there are people who can and may read it, so I have to keep pushing towards my goals. Hopefully I can keep up with my training plans for the most part, and can avoid illness or injury. Thanks for following along.

Training for 10K

Pre-10K training

Week of 1/17/2016
62.33 Miles completed in 2016
59.16 of 220 Miles completed in pre-10K plan
26.32 of 26 miles completed this week

1/17 - 3 miles planned, unscheduled rest day taken
Today I was supposed to take an easy 3 mile run, but with a high of -8 and the minor frostbite I'm pretty sure I got the day before I take it off and move my run to a different day. So, instead of running the wife and I began cleaning out what is now our office and will soon be our guest room. We had way to much stuff in there. Who knew? Afterwards, I went down stairs and lifted. New week, new lifting program. This week is week one of Les Mills Pump. It's a body pump program, which is lots of reps with really light weights. Today, was Pump Challenge, which is really just an intro to the program. Only, 25 minutes long, but still a good workout.

1/18 - 10x200m intervals planned, 10x200m intervals completed
Today it warmed up to a whopping 2 degrees. But on the plus side, at least it was above 0. I completed the intervals today, though my left hand is still a bit more susceptible to the cold. I have new gloves coming, Brooks Drift, and hopefully they will help some. The run got done though, and it is supposed to get warmer this week. 4.08 miles in 38:12, a 9:22 pace.

1/19 - 3 miles planned, 3.09 miles completed
Today was the makeup day for Sunday's missed run. The weather was much more accommodating tonight. I mean, the temperature was actually above zero, like a balmy 8 degrees. I got home from work, to an already starving and pregnant wife, and decided to take the risk and tell her I had to run first. She barely let me survive. I did get the run in however and had no real issues. It was a good evening for a run. 3.09 miles in 29:44, a 9:37 pace.

Today was also the second Les Mills Pump workout. It was a repeat of the Sunday workout so nothing exciting to add there. I really am terrible at lunges, knee issues being the major contributing factor. I also managed to squeeze in a yoga workout at lunch today. I always have the worst luck with them. Last week yoga was plank heavy after having done a plank heavy abs workout in the morning. Today's ab workout had no planks because of this week, but yoga was chair pose heavy this week after having done a ton of squats and lunges in Body Pump. Ugh, I can never win.

1/20 - 40 minute tempo run scheduled, 40 minute tempo run completed
Today was another Higdon tempo run. I am slowly figuring them out. I did complete the full duration for the second week in a row, but it still didn't quite go as I had hoped, but I'm getting there. 4.41 miles in 40:00 minutes, a 9:04 pace.

1/21 - No run planned
Today was a rest day from running, but still had some lifting on the schedule. Again, it was Les Mills Pump - Pump Challenge. I understand a slow build, but definitely ready for something a little more challenging. It was still a good workout and lunges are still challenging. Then it was on to abs. Today I did Shaun T's Max 30 Ab Attack 10. It consists of 10 ab exercises you do for roughly 1 minute each. The exercise alternate be a crunch type exercise then a plank type exercise. I still hate planks, but they are getting a little easier, maybe? My goal was to make it through 30 seconds of each exercise and then be able to build from there. I made it. YAY!!

1/22 - 6 miles planned, 6 miles completed
Today called for a 6 mile run. I didn't sleep well, so I wasn't able to drag myself out of bed in the morning. The trainers at my work are putting on a new year resolution challenge, so I had to get weighed in today. I weighed more than I expected, but I was wearing street clothes. I got home from work and got ready for my run. I ran downhill to start making my return trip a bit more difficult. I was able to maintain my pace though. 6.00 miles in 55:21, a 9:14 pace.

1/23 - 85 minute run planned, 85 minutes completed
My wife made plans to go to lunch with some work friends, so I had no option to but get my run in early. Luckily for me, one of the pugs thought 6:30 was when I needed to wake up. Damn dogs. Well, I finally got ready and was out the door. Today was a long run. It's been a long time since I've run that long, but it felt pretty good. Today I ran uphill on the way out, which also happened to be into the wind. That was a lot of fun. 8.74 miles in 85:00, a 9:44 pace.

Last edited:
Training for 10K

Pre-10K training

Week of 1/24/2016
89.47 miles completed in 2016
89.47 miles completed in January
86.30 of 220 miles completed in pre-10K plan
27.14 of 29 miles completed this week

1/24 3 miles planned, 3.16 miles completed
Today was a planned easy 3 miles, which I was glad for after my 85 minutes yesterday. I went out and took a nice easy run along my normal 3 mile loop. The run felt easy and comfortable and was quite enjoyable, despite the weather and slippery conditions. 3.16 miles in 30:31, a 9:40 pace.

After my run it was off to the basement to lift. A new week means a change in lifting program. This week was week 1 of Tony Horton's P90. It's a toned down version of P90X, but unfortunately still the same annoying Tony. Today was Sculpt A, as it will be the rest of the week, followed by abs. The workout has a series of 15 or so exercises that hit various muscle groups one at a time. You work through the muscle groups, get a 30 second break, and then work through each group again with different exercises. Most exercises consist of doing 16 reps, with the exception of the dreaded push-ups, which you do as many as possible in 30 second. That's not many for me, yet. I followed this up with the accompanying abs workout, Ab Ripper A. It is about 10 ab exercises with 10 reps of each. I think my abs are finally getting a little stronger.

1/25 8x400m intervals planned, 6x400m completed
I swear, 400m intervals have it in for me. For the second time in a row when trying to run 400m intervals I fell on the ice. The weather was one of those days where it hovers right at the freezing mark, so some areas are icy and others are just wet. It is very hard to tell the difference at times. I was recovering from my first interval and was turning left and all of a sudden met the ground. I scraped up my knee and ankle again, just as they were healing from the first incident. I tried my best to complete the workout, but my knee began throbbing during my 5th interval, and I just couldn't take it after my 6th. I made it home and iced it. Good thing tomorrow is a non-running day. 3.92 miles in 36:35, a 9:20 pace.

1/26 - No running today
Today was just a strength day. I did Sculpt A and Ab Ripper A again. Nothing to get to excited about, except my wife did decide to go for a short walk. The pregnancy has been relatively rough on her, and she's finally feeling like she can do some light exercising again. I was proud of her. Next up, dragging her out of bed when I do morning workouts. She has trouble working out right now if I'm not leading her down there to do it.

1/27 - 45 minute tempo run planned, 45 minutes completed
Today was the longest tempo run to date. I mostly have these figured out, but still struggle with the pacing a little, but I made it through today. My warm up was all down hill, which in turn made much of my tempo pace uphill. The weather was quite nice out as well. It was in the low 40s. I wore sleeves and pants, not 100% sure why I made that decision. It did get a bit too warm. 4.74 miles in 45:00, a 9:29 pace.

1/28 - No running today
Today is a duplicate of Tuesday for me. Maybe I'll talk the wife into walking after work, at least the dogs with me. She hasn't done that in forever it seems.

1/29 - 6 miles planned, 6 miles completed
I set out for an early morning run with a route in mind. I turned on to a semi-busy road with not sidewalk, shoulder, or streetlights, and the battery had died in my headlamp. UGH!!! I had to turn around and ended up looping through various neighbor hoods to hit my target distance. It ended up being more looping and circle running than I tend to like but it wasn't too bad. 6 miles completed in 55:31, a 9:15 pace.

1/30 - 90 minutes run planned, 90 minutes completed
Longest run of the Higdon Advanced 5k plan. The route was similar to last Saturdays 85 minute run, with a little extra through my neighborhood to cover the last five minutes. I can definitely feel myself getting strong with my runs. YAY. After my run I attempted the Saturday Special workout as a part of the P90 plan. He calls it core cardio, so combining core work with cardio work. Yeah, that didn't go too well. I made it about halfway through and had nothing left to give. 9.32 miles in 1:30:00, a 9:39 pace.

Last edited:
Training for 10K

Pre-10K training

Week of 1/31/2016
99.99 miles completed in 2016
91.50 miles completed in January
8.49 miles completed in February
96.82 of 220 miles completed in pre-10K plan
10.52 of 11 miles completed this week

So, this week is the last week of the Higdon Advanced 5K training plan making it "race" week. That means it will be a lighter week as far as miles go, but it's not terrible as I will be traveling this upcoming weekend as well.

1/31 - 2 miles planned, 2.03 miles completed
Today was an easy 2 miles after my long run yesterday. I was able to stay within the neighborhood, which meant no hills at all. It was easy and quick. It was also warm, shorts and short sleeves for the first time in weeks. After my run I started ripping carpet out of our current office, soon to be guest room. This is one of the few remaining rooms to transition to hardwood. Redoing the floor here wasn't initially planned to happen so soon, but with the guest room becoming a nursery we needed to have a guest room for when family comes to visit once the little guy is born. My 6'6" body is not made to remove tack strips from the inside of a tiny, little closet. This seemed like a bonus workout for the week. After this, it was time to head to the basement to begin week two of the Body Beast program. Week two begins with Build: Leg. Just what I needed after spending so much time squatting to rip up carpet and walking up and down the stairs to take it out to the dumpster. This is by far the hardest workout in the series so far. 2.03 miles in 19.39, a 9:42 pace.

2/1 - 6x200m intervals planned, 6x200m intervals completed
Today was the last interval workout for the plan. The sidewalks definitely had some slick spots this morning after all the melting yesterday froze overnight. I hit all 6 intervals on pace, and no falling on the ice. Apparently, it is only 400m intervals that like to take me out. Then it was time to lift. Build: Back and Bis this morning. I lifted a little heavier for my biceps than the last time I did the workout. It was tough. Made it through the workout though and then headed off to work. 3.04 miles completed in 28:22, a 9:19 pace.

2/2 - 30 minute tempo run planned, 30 minutes completed
I finally had a completely successful tempo run. YAY!! It was shorter than my last few, so that clearly helped, but I did it, and can hopefully get over the mental block I have with them. Then it was off to do Build: Shoulders. I like the Body Beast workouts because they target specific muscle groups, but I hate them because they are hard even when keeping the weights light. I was glad I got my run in this morning because we are getting pummeled with snow this afternoon and night. I think we'll be close to the 10" mark when all is said and done. 3.41 mile in 30:00, an 8:48 pace.

2/3 - No run planned
Today I lifted. Build: Chest and Tris. Damn push-ups, why must the suck so much, but be so good for you? I'm slowly, but surely, increasing the number of push ups I'm capable of though. YAY!! Then it was soccer day. Injuries have killed my team and we're slowly falling apart. :(

2/4 - No run planned. 2.04 miles completed.
I decided to move my planned 5k "race" to today when it was originally scheduled for tomorrow. This would save me from having to wake up at 3:30 before my flight to visit my brother tomorrow. I rolled my ankle on an icy patch, and pulled up short on my run to prevent further injury, but I was easily maintaining a pretty good pace, for only really training about a month and a half. Then I went an lifted legs. They are definitely getting stronger, but still keeping the weights light so not to build mass just tone. 2.04 miles in 16:02, a 7:52 pace.

2/5 - 5k planned, unplanned rest day taken
Today was originally my "race" day, but since it was my birthday and I would be flying from MSP to BWI early I figured it would be easier to get it in yesterday. So we made it to Baltimore with no problems, spent an hour or so with my brother, his wife, their son, and my parents after we did some baby shopping, and then headed to a nice restaurant to celebrate my birthday. It was a nice day, but a lot of driving.

2/6 - Rest day planned
My brother had invited me to go for a run with him while I was out there, but since I was able to get my run in earlier I decided to take a rest day and hang out with my nephew and family that were visiting for his baptism. It was a nice relaxing day.

Last edited:

Congrats on your progress surfde22. I just read through this post and you have been getting some great advice. It's very difficult to train in the winter time when you live in a snowy, cold area (I'm from Pittsburgh, not as bad as MN, but I totally understand). Here are some things that I wanted to point out to you. Keep in mind that when you run your long runs at a slower pace, there is a good reason behind it. First of all, the slower you run, the less likely you are to get injured. A fast long run can really ruin a good plan if you hurt yourself. Another reason for doing long runs at a slower pace is that it is really about time on your feet...not necessarily about the miles. For example, when start your marathon training later in the year, you'll more than likely end up running 20 miles at your peak. If you do 20 miles at your race pace, your body has no idea what it's like to be on your feet for another hour running. If you slow your pace down by 60-90 seconds per mile, you are on your feet for a much longer period of time and have adapted to the length of time you will be running the marathon.

An additional thing to be cautious of is when lifting weights. I would take it easy on the lifting. Make sure you are not lifting heavy weights, but rather lighter weights at more reps. It's about getting toned rather than bulking up.

You certainly seem like you are on your way to a successful journey. Keep up the good work and good luck with your 10k!

Congrats on your progress surfde22. I just read through this post and you have been getting some great advice. It's very difficult to train in the winter time when you live in a snowy, cold area (I'm from Pittsburgh, not as bad as MN, but I totally understand). Here are some things that I wanted to point out to you. Keep in mind that when you run your long runs at a slower pace, there is a good reason behind it. First of all, the slower you run, the less likely you are to get injured. A fast long run can really ruin a good plan if you hurt yourself. Another reason for doing long runs at a slower pace is that it is really about time on your feet...not necessarily about the miles. For example, when start your marathon training later in the year, you'll more than likely end up running 20 miles at your peak. If you do 20 miles at your race pace, your body has no idea what it's like to be on your feet for another hour running. If you slow your pace down by 60-90 seconds per mile, you are on your feet for a much longer period of time and have adapted to the length of time you will be running the marathon.

An additional thing to be cautious of is when lifting weights. I would take it easy on the lifting. Make sure you are not lifting heavy weights, but rather lighter weights at more reps. It's about getting toned rather than bulking up.

You certainly seem like you are on your way to a successful journey. Keep up the good work and good luck with your 10k!

The weather hasn't been too bad this winter, thankfully. There was the week or two that was single digits both above and below zero, but we haven't had too much snow, until today of course. We're looking at about 10" for the day. I have slowed my pace significantly for my long runs and am about where I think I want to be for the paces I'm aiming for. They may adjust a little, but we'll see.

Strength training is always done with light weights. I'm definitely not looking to bulk up at all.

The weather hasn't been too bad this winter, thankfully. There was the week or two that was single digits both above and below zero, but we haven't had too much snow, until today of course. We're looking at about 10" for the day. I have slowed my pace significantly for my long runs and am about where I think I want to be for the paces I'm aiming for. They may adjust a little, but we'll see.

Strength training is always done with light weights. I'm definitely not looking to bulk up at all.

OK...great job and looking forward to following your training. One other thing that I forgot to mention is that rest days are a key to success. Your body NEEDS to recover, so don't ever feel like you can't take a day off. This will be more important as you start your training for Dopey!

Training for 10K

Pre-10K training

Week of 2/7/2016
113.74 miles completed in 2016
22.24 miles completed in February
110.57 of 220 miles completed in pre-10K plan
13.75 of 33 miles completed this week

I guess I have a little catch up to do. The past weekend I was visiting my brother and sister-in-law and their new son, my nephew and godson. I ended up rescheduling runs to take Friday and Saturday off completely, even though my brother kept trying to get me to run with him. He has since decided he will come out to run one of my warm-up races with me after my son is born, so then we'll get to size each other up before the big Dopey showdown.

2/7 - 3 miles planned, 3.07 miles completed
We landed back in MSP around 1 pm, and still had to go grocery shopping and pick up the pugs, and I still had to try to get in a run before the Super Bowl. I debated whether or not I really wanted to run and finally decided I should, and just went after it. My legs were feeling stiff after the flight so it took a bit to get going during my run. I made it home just in time, but then had to walk the dogs so I ended up missing the opening drive. Oh well, no real loss there. 3.07 miles in 29:32, a 9:38 pace.

2/8 - 45 minute tempo run planned, 45 minutes completed
The forecast for this morning was snowy, windy, and cold, so I decided an afternoon run would be better. It wasn't really. Still cold and windy, but not so much snowy. I had my second consecutive successful tempo run. Maybe I'm finally figuring them out. I also made the brilliant decision to just run in shorts instead of putting on tights. It wasn't a good idea. 4.98 miles in 45:00, a 9:03 pace.

2/9 - 9x400m Intervals planned, run skipped
I woke up early to get in my run and decided to just go with lifting in the morning. I had no plans after work so getting my run in would be easy, and I figured the little extra break after running yesterday afternoon wouldn't hurt either. I am back on ChaLEAN Extreme this week, and Burn 1 was the workout. Quick, efficient, and challenging. When I got home from work the wifey had decided she wanted BBQ for dinner. I learned early on in the pregnancy not to stand in the way of my wife and her food "needs". So instead of getting in my workout we went for dinner.

2/10 - 6 mile run planned, 9x400m Intervals completed
So today I set out to make up my missed run from yesterday. I had a rest day coming up, so I'd be able to catch up. This is the run I've been dreading. The last few times I've done 400m intervals I've managed to slip on the ice and fall. No such luck today. I conquered the beast finally. All 9 intervals on pace. 5.70 miles in 52:33, a 9:13 pace overall.

2/11-2/13 All runs and lifting skipped
The rest of the week was a bit of a wash. I skipped my runs due to laziness and cold weather, and didn't do any lifting, because. well I don't really have a reason. I did have an interview for a new job Friday that I feel went really well. Now I'm just playing the waiting game. It can be so nerve racking when you're really excited for a new opportunity like this. Then went out to dinner and to see Newsies, the musical, on Friday night. That was a really good show, though the movie is still better.

Last edited:
Training for 10K

Pre-10K training

Week of 2/14/2016
136.75 miles completed in 2016
45.25 miles completed in February
133.58 of 220 miles completed in pre-10K plan
23.01 of 26 miles completed this week

2/14 - 3 miles planned, 3.15 miles completed

I had to get back out there and get back on track today. Good news is that the weather has warmed up some, but I had to get my run in early today before it really got better because my wife and I had tickets to see Deadpool, great movie by the way. The run felt great today, even though it was a little cool and windy still. Varied my route a little today and ended up having to loop more than I had hoped. I hate circle running. 3.15 miles in 30:12, a 9:36 pace.

2/15 - 35 minute tempo run planned, 28:23 completed
Temperatures were warmer today. I made it through the tempo portion of my run, but ended up running short on time. I skipped the cool down unfortunately. Then I went to the basement to lift. 2.18 miles in 28:23, an 8:55 pace.

2/16 - 6x400m Intervals planned, 6X400m Intervals completed
Another week, another attempt at 400m Intervals. I survived without falling again. It helped that yesterday the temperature reached around 34 and melted a lot of what was on the sidewalks, and that it stayed there and didn't refreeze. Pacing went well, and hit the mark for all intervals. 4.52 miles in 42:57, a 9:31 pace.

2/17 - 3 miles planned, 3.10 miles completed
I've decided to up the pace on some of my runs to what my Hanson's long run pace would be. This was the first of such runs. The pace wasn't bad at all and pretty easy to maintain. My goal pace for this run was 9:20, and I seem to find it impossible to hit that pace for some reason. I can run 20 seconds slower or 20 seconds faster with no problem, but the 9:20 is quite difficult for me for some unknown reason. 3.10 miles in 28:24, 9:10 pace.

After running it was time to lift. Les Mills Pump: Pump Challenge, the dread lunge track was back. I still don't get why I hate them so much, but don't mind squats. I know they work slightly different muscles, but still doesn't make too much sense.

2/18 - Rest day
Today was a total rest day.

2/19 - 6 mile run planned, 6 miles completed
Today was an easy pace at 6 miles. I'm always trying to find ways to hit more than 5 miles without having to run on the shoulder of the road. I takes a lot of meandering and wending around to get there. I did manage it today though, even though my legs were still incredibly tired and sore from lifting a couple of days ago. 6 miles in 58:03, a 9:40 pace.

2/20 - 6 miles planned, 3.06 miles completed
Today's plan was for 6 miles with 3 at race pace. My legs were still incredibly sore from lifting on Wednesday, which was my first time lifting in a week. Usually my legs loosen up after a mile or so, but it wasn't happening today. I hit the 3 mile mark and they were still super tight and sore and wouldn't loosen up. It was difficult even running at an easier pace. I had to call it quits at about 3 miles as to avoid pulling a muscle that didn't want to move. 3.06 miles in 27.11, a 8:52 pace.

Last edited:
Training for 10K

Pre-10K training

Week of 2/21/2016
164.19 miles completed in 2016
72.69 miles completed in February
161.02 of 220 miles completed in pre-10K plan
27.44 of 34 miles completed this week

It is time to play catch up. I've neglected this thread for a while. I haven't forgotten about, but been busy. My wife has hit the nesting phase of pregnancy, so that means I'm kept busy setting things up whenever she wants.

2/21 - 3 miles planned, 3 miles completed
My legs are feeling better today. It's about time. Time for another run at my long run pace. It still seems to be a struggle to maintain a constant pace at what I'm aiming for. I'll suddenly find myself faster and then I usually over correct. It was a little better this time, but still not quite what I was looking for. 3.00 miles in 27:37, a 9:11 pace.

I then went to lift. P90: Sculpt A was on the agenda for today. It's a good total body workout and I didn't end up with the soreness like last week.

2/22 - 50 minute tempo run planned, unplanned rest day taken
I have no real reason for not doing this run today other than pure laziness. I can't afford many more days like this as my races are getting closer.

2/23 - 10x400m Intervals planned, 10x400m completed
This was my longest interval run to date. I hit 8 out of 10 on pace. One ended up being too fast, not sure why, and the other was way slow, but that was because I ended up running down a hill that was pretty much a sheet of ice. I took it easy to risk not falling on my butt. All in all the run was good. 6.52 miles in 1:02:02, a 9:31 pace

2/24 - 6 miles planned, 6.32 miles completed
Nice long run today. I ended up miscalculating distances from various points and overshot my run by a little. Not the end of the world though. All miles fell within my goal range. I then lifted. I upped the weights a little, and had no real problems. I guess I'm slowly getting strong. 6.32 miles in 1:00:56, a 9:39 pace.

2/25 - Rest day
Took the day off. I could have made up my tempo run today, but my pregnant wife was demanding dinner when I got home, so I figured it was safer for me to just make dinner.

2/26 - 5 miles planned, 3.60 miles completed
Today was 5 miles, with 3 at pace. I really don't know why I stopped short. Sometimes I just get in my head and call it quits. I really need to get better at this. If I can't do 3 at pace how will I ever do 26.2 or 48.6 for that matter. 3.60 miles in 32:01, an 8:54 pace.

2/27 - 8 miles planned, 8 miles completed
Today was my long run for the week. 8 miles at an easy pace. I've been working hard at keeping consistent pacing when running. It's slowly coming together. After my run we went out to lunch with one of my wife's coworkers and her family, and then to the baby store to order a glider for the nursery. I got home with every intention on lifting, but had to assemble the new bed frame my wife had ordered. That ended up taking way longer than I expected. No lifting today. 8 miles in 1:18:06, a 9:46 pace

Training for 10K

Pre-10K training

Week of 2/28/2016
179.88 miles completed in 2016
79.06 miles completed in February
9.32 miles completed in March
179.71 of 220 miles completed in pre-10K plan
15.69 of 18 miles completed this week

2/28 - 3 miles planned, 3 miles completed
Today was another run at the Hanson's long run pace. A quick 3 miles, and then off to lifting. I have to say I'm getting a little better at hitting and maintaining my target pace, but still seem to find myself suddenly running too fast and then over correcting. After the run was some lifting. Backs and Bis were the focus today. I'm noticing the lifting is starting to get a little easier. I'm still keeping the weight light as I don't want to put on a ton of mass, just tone up and lean out. 3 miles in 27:23, a 9:08 pace.

2/29 - 30 minute tempo run planned. 30 minutes completed
This week ends with a "race". Higdon suggests incorporating actual races into your training program. I will be completing most of these as race pace runs instead of actual races. That means this is a step back week with a "race" at the end. The tempo run went well today. No real problems encountered. I ran a total of 79.06 miles this month, which includes taking a large portion of one week off. Not too bad considering that. 3.37 miles in 30:01, an 8:55 pace.

3/1 - 5x400m Intervals planned, run abandoned
I decided not to do my run today, and to move it to Thursday. I have no real reason for doing this, but I did. I did get my lifting in today though. It was Body Beast: Legs day. This is one of the toughest lifting DVDs I do, and it still isn't getting much better. I moved legs to earlier in the week to give them time to recover before my "race".

3/2 - 3 mile run planned, 3 miles completed
Slept in a little, and then went out for my run around 7:55. I barely made it home for my 8:30 call. The pace was good, and was a little quicker than planned, which ended up be ok, more on that later. I then came home and it was time to lift my shoulder. I have a history of shoulder problems, so these workouts are always at a very light weight. 3 miles in 27:04, a 9:02 pace.

3/3 - Make up day for 5x400m Intervals completed
I hit 5 out of 5 intervals on pace. It was a good run. I ran a path that avoided hills for the most part, because I did have my "race" coming up. The pace for the intervals felt good, and I had no real problems with my run. I then did Body Beast: Chest and Tris. That was a doozy of a workout. Dang push-ups. 4.01 miles in 37:47, a 9:25 pace.

3/4 - Rest day
No run today or lifting. I did get in a short walk with the dogs.

3/5 - 8k Race planed, 2.31 miles completed

After all my build up and conserving some energy for my big "race" run, I failed miserably. Ugh. The back problems I was having at the end of last year/beginning of this year decided to flair up about a mile into my run. I was feeling strong and having no problem maintaining my targeted 7:50 pace. I tried to ease up the pace to complete my run and just was unable to. It seems like I went a little to long without seeing my chiropractor. 2.31 miles in 18:51, an 8:09 pace.

This was the last week of my pre-10K training. I missed my target distance by about 40 miles. Not ideal, but since I'm just starting out and was working through a few injuries I'll take it. My goal for the Higdon 10k training plan is to hit much closer to my total distance.

Last edited:
Training for 10K

Hal Higdon Advanced 10k Training

Week of 3/6/2016
204.79 miles completed in 2016
34.23 miles completed in March
24.91 of 222 miles completed in pre-10K plan
24.91 of 25 miles completed this week

3/6 - 3 miles planned, 3 miles completed

Last week I met with the personal trainer at my work's fitness center about my pacing. The pacing I had laid out was for training for a marathon, which is ultimately what my goal is, but right now I am training for a 10k. We have increased my pacing. My target time for my 10k is 48 minutes, which is a 7:43 pace. I am no targeting anywhere from 40-90 seconds above race pace for my long and easy runs. During my pre-10k training they were significantly slower. I am fine with that as I was working to build a base at that point. My new pace went well today. It was a little tough, but not unbearable. I then went to the basement to lift. This is a ChaLEAN Extreme week. It was round three of Burn 1. I upped my weights slightly. 3 miles in 25:23, an 8:28 pace.

3/7 - 30 minute tempo run, 30 minutes complete
My warm up went well, and then the portion where I build my pace began. My back started acting up as my pace built. I had to take a short walk break in the middle of my tempo portion, and then was able to finish strong at my target pace. No lifting today. 3.34 miles in 30:01, an 8:59 pace.

3/8 - 6x400m Intervals, 6x400m Intervals completed
With the back problems I've been having I finally decided to go see my chiropractor today. That seems to have helped quite a bit. I went out for my run shortly afterwards. There was still some pain in my back as it's getting used to being back in place. I managed to get 6 out of 6 intervals on pace, despite a 20 mile per hour head wind on my first couple of intervals. I made it to my house a little before my full cool down mile was complete. It was a little shorter than I intended for my run, but still a good run. Then it was time to lift. Burn 2 completed. 4.70 miles in 44:33, a 9:29 pace.

3/9 - 3 miles planned, 3 miles completed
My back felt much better today after a nights rest. I went out for my run in the much improved weather and temperatures. I was getting so sick of running in the cold and dark. Running in the cold is one thing, as is running in the dark, but the combination was getting tiresome. I'm so glad the weather is getting better. I was excited about getting light earlier as well, except the whole DST thing ruined that. 3 miles completed in 25:32, an 8:31 pace.

3/10 - No run planned.
I had no run planned today. I did lift, ChaLEAN Extreme: Burn 3. Lifting is getting easier all around. I also managed to sneak in an ab workout. I have been meaning do more of that to try to eliminate my belly. I need to work on improving my diet as well, which is always the hardest for me. I also managed to drag my 6.5 month pregnancy out of the house for a walk today. It felt good to stretch out some and get the blood flowing.

3/11 - 6 miles planned, 6 miles completed
With my new pacing my goal was 70 seconds above pave +/- 10 seconds. It was tough, and the 65 degree weather, which I'm not completely used to yet added to the challenge a little. The new pace of this long of a run was a little more challenging than previous runs, but completely doable. I was feeling like my easy runs previous were too easy. Today's run felt much better. 6 miles in 53:44, an 8:57 pace.

3/12 - 5 miles planned, 5 miles completed
Today's run was a little bit of a nightmare. It called for 5 total miles with 2 miles at pace. I ran the first 1.5 miles as a warm up and then upped the pace to race pace. I was feeling good, but a little tight. After the first mile at pace I stopped to stretch my calves and quads a little. At this point my watch went crazy, restarted, and lost .13 miles that I had run. UGH!!! Technology can be such a pain sometimes. My legs didn't want to loosen up, so I finished the last 2.5 at a slower more comfortable pace. I ran about 5 miles at an unknown time and pace. I also did an ab workout after my run. I just need to stick with this whole ab thing.

Training for 10K

Week of 3/13/2016
227.51 miles completed in 2016
56.95 miles completed in March
47.63 of 222 miles completed in pre-10K plan
22.72 of 29 miles completed this week

3/13 - 3 miles planned, 3 miles completed
On the Higdon 10k Advanced plan every Sunday is a 3 mile run. I try to change up my route week to week to keep things interesting. None of the runs are hard by any means though. After my run I lifted. This week is P90 again. Sculpt A is the workout all week. The one thing I've noticed becoming easier the most is definitely push-ups, which excites me as I've always struggled with them. 3 miles in 25:45, an 8:38.

3/14 - 40 minute tempo run planned, no run
This week became a sort of mess. Runs were moved, some skipped. Things didn't go quite as planned. My run today didn't happen. :(

3/15 - 7x400m Intervals planned, 27:41 Interval run completed
So, since yesterday's run didn't happen it was moved to today. The run was going well, but the lightening in the are was creeping closer. I figured it was safest to return home instead of trying to battle the lightening. I lifted after my run this morning. 3.22 miles in 37:41, an 8:36 pace.

3/16 - 4 miles planned, 4 miles completed
Every Wednesday on the plan is a run from 3-6 miles. Today's run was 4 miles. I decided to run downhill first, giving myself a slightly more difficult return home. The running is definitely getting easier though. Maybe I'll actually hit my goal for my upcoming 10k. 4 miles in 34:32, an 8:38 pace.

3/17 - Rest day planned, 7x400m Intervals completed
I think I have a love/hate relationship with intervals. It seems no matter what day I do them, it is one of the windiest days of the week. This was no exception. I managed to 5/7 on pace, with the other two being too fast due to a tail wind. It was a good run over all. 5.5 total miles in 50:34, a 9:11 pace.

3/18 - 5 miles planned, run skipped
I was going to run in the afternoon, because it was pretty nice out. Well when I got home the wife decided she "needed" fish and chips from a local restaurant. The problem is the restaurant only serves them on Fridays. We went and did that instead.

3/19 - 7 miles planned, 7 miles completed
This was my longest run to date in the 10k Advanced training plan. I was a little nervous for it, but I knew I could handle it. The pace was good, and I felt strong throughout. It was a very enjoyable run. Running is definitely becoming more and more something I look forward to each day. 7 miles in 1:10:39, an 8:50 pace.

Training for 10K

Week of 3/20/2016
257.94 miles completed in 2016
87.38 miles completed in March
78.06 of 222 miles completed in pre-10K plan
30.43 of 32 miles completed this week

3/20 - 3 miles planned, 3 miles completed
Sunday runs are getting easier and easier, which is always a good sign. Again, as with every Sunday, the plan called for three miles. Recently, I've tried to add a walk to the end of my runs to let my body cool down before just plopping down inside or lifting even. I try to go for at least a half mile, and will probably extend the distance as my run increase in distance. 3 miles in 25:35, an 8:32 pace.

3/21 - 50 mile tempo run planned, 50 minutes completed

The Higdon tempo runs seem to be my nemesis. I always struggle so much on them. I think in part it is due to the pace +/- 5 second window I give myself. I find myself making lots of micro adjustments to my pace to stay within that window, and it seems to be very draining. I'm working on actually memorizing what the effort is like for the pace I'm going for and hopefully I'll work it out soon. 5.66 miles in 50:00, an 8:50 average pace.

3/22 - 8x400m intervals planned, 6x400m intervals completed
Another minor tweak to my knee, another failure on the intervals. I'm hoping I'm getting all of my little tweaks and ankle rolls out of the way now, so when the real heavy Dopey training begins I won't have to worry about it. I felt strong through my intervals though, so things are improving. 3.76 miles in 33:40, an 8:57 average pace.

3/23 - 5 miles planned, 5 miles completed
I was very up and down on my pacing today. I'm not sure why exactly. My miles averaged around the same pace throughout, but my pace seemed to be constantly up and down. This was one of my worst runs on that front in a while. 5 miles in 43:53 an 8:47 pace.

3/25 - 5 miles planned, 5.01 miles completed
Today's run was another 5 miler, the change was that 3 were supposed to be at pace though. I've been having some trouble meeting the distances I was aiming for on my pace runs so I made a few changes today. The first was I decided to go for just 2 miles instead of 3 since I was struggling to hit my pacing. The second was that I reconsidered what my goal would be for my 10k at the end of April. With some of the pace challenges I was having I decided I'd be happy with a sub-50 10k instead of the sub-48 I had originally targeted. I still left the low end of my pacing set to my original pace on my Garmin, but put the top end at a sub-50 pacing. My target range was now 7:40-8:03/mile. This seemed to really help, and both the miles I ran at pace were actually right at the 7:43 pace. I think a large factor on this was I could focus more on just running instead of making constant micro adjustments to my pace to stay in the 10 second window I had originally been giving myself. I felt much more confident about possibly hitting my original goal today then I have after any other run, until tomorrow's run. 5.01 miles completed in 43:53, an 8:46 pace.

3/26 - 8 miles planned, 8 miles completed
Today's workout is what Higdon has listed as a 3/1 workout. The first 3/4 of the distance is done at a comfortable/easy pace, and the last quarter at or near race pace. I again was looking at that 7:40-8:03 range for the last two miles of the run. I felt great after yesterday, and my ability to hit the pacing when I wasn't trying to think too much about it. The first 6 miles today were run at around a 9:13 pace with no problems, and it felt easy and I was feeling strong. Then it was time to pick up my pace for the last two. My confidence is really growing now after I was able to run those two miles at pace after having already run 6 miles. 8.00 miles in 1:10:39, an 8:50 pace.

Training for 10K

Week of 3/27/2016
276.38 miles completed in 2016
102.6 miles completed in March
3.12 miles completed in April
96.4 of 222 miles completed in pre-10K plan
18.34 of 19 miles completed this week

3/27 - 3 miles planned, 3 miles completed
Another Sunday 3 miler is in the books. I can definitely feel the runs slowly getting easier, which is always a good sign. After my run was lifting. This week is Body Beast again, and the workout was Bulk: Chest. This was my first time doing a bulk workout on the DVD series. The focus changes to more narrow muscle groups. I am still keeping the weights light, because I just want to tone up and not become bulky. 3 miles in 25:57, an 8:39 pace.

3/28 - 30 minute tempo run planned, 30 minute tempo run completed
The teases of warm weather we've had off and on makes it difficult to get back out there when the cold returns. This morning when I woke up it was about 30 degrees with a forecast high in the mid-50s. The decision was quickly made to put the run off until the afternoon. The run went well. I still struggle at times with tempo runs, and appropriately building speed like Higdon calls for. I told myself I had to complete it today, and made it through. Then it was leg day. The new leg workout was a killer, but a good workout. 3.5 miles in 30 minutes, an 8:35 average pace

3/29 - 9x400m interval planned, unexpected rest day taken
The weather today was scheduled to be much warmer this afternoon again so I waited on my run. Well that didn't happen. My wife and I went in for her 28 week appointment and her blood pressure was through the roof. The doctor sent her to the hospital to have some tests run to make sure she didn't have pre-eclampsia, so we spent most of the afternoon there. All her tests came back normal and her blood pressure dropped by the time we got to the hospital, still a very scary and nerve racking day. That definitely meant the run didn't happen though.

3/30 - 3 miles planned, 3 miles completed
Today's scheduled run was much shorter than many of the other Wednesday runs. This is because Higdon likes to incorporate races into the training, and this was technically a race week, a 5k. The run was pretty easy today too. Then it was Bulk: Arms, to make up for yesterdays missed lift. I think I went a little heavy on some of my curls, as they were still sore 4 days later. I'll try not to make that mistake again. 3 miles in 25:47, an 8:36 pace.

3/31 - Rest day planned, 9x400m interval make up completed
Since I wasn't able to get this run in I went for it this afternoon. I was feeling strong and things were looking good. I managed to hit 7/9 intervals on pace. A pretty good afternoon. I started having some GI issues in the last couple and ended up going straight home instead of finishing out my cool down, which is the cause of not hitting my target distance this week. 5.72 miles in 51:48, a 9:03 average pace.

4/1 - Planned rest day
Today was an extra rest day this week since it's a race week. I did lift today, but no running. It was back day. Not my favorite muscle group, but still a good workout.

4/2 - 5k planned, 5k completed
I originally planned on running a half mile warm up, then the 5k at pace, and a half mile cool down. The 25+ mph wind changed that for me. I decided to just call it quits after hit the 5k mark total, including the warm up. I was still only 1 second slower than my low end target of 8:03 pacing, with a 9:23 paced first half mile. I'll take it, especially considering the fore mentioned wind. 3.12 miles in 25:11, an 8:04 pace

Happy to hear your wife is ok. That can be a tense time. My wife went through a similar situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter