A Kinda Short Surprise Report! - March 7-13 Staycation ft. F&GF, Galaxy's Edge, and Family! *NEW 6/15*

Newsies

Headlines don't sell papes.
Hey There, Hi There, Ho There! Welcome to my latest Trip Report!

For those of you who don't know me, I'm Kaitlyn, also known as Newsies! This is my 7th TR on the Boards and I'm excited to be back.

For those of you who do know me, I'm so sorry I haven't been active on the DIS! I have been completely absent while I process things here at home, so I have a lot of catching up to do. Know that I love you guys and I am going to catch up on everything now that I have all this free time on my hands! Thank you to those who have reached out in the past few weeks with words of encouragement and love. I love you guys!!!!! :daisy:

For everybody, regardless of whether you know me or not, here's the context of the story I'm here to tell:

During my last Trip Report, I announced that I would be doing my second Disney College Program at Walt Disney World Resort. I went back as a Character Attendant in February. It was my dream role, and I truly loved every moment of my time there. I loved it so much that I was starting to consider going FT at the end of my Program and making the permanent move to Orlando. Unfortunately, during the second week of March, Disney announced that under the CDC's advisement, the Program was going to be suspended indefinitely, that all of us on the CP would be sent home and had four days to move out and head back home. It stinks, but it happened. Thankfully, Disney provided a lot of wonderful resources to us and did everything in their power to help CPs get home safely. We don't know right now if we'll be able to continue our Program when the Parks open back up. We've been told our Program has been marked as "completed," but that we'll have CM perks like self-admission privilege and discounts until our original Program end dates. We all filled out a survey before we left asking if we'd like to return once the Parks open, so we're just waiting for more information on Disney on what's going to happen, if anything. The most important thing is that we all got home safe, and there were no reported cases of COVID-19 in Housing before we left. I am at home with my family, and we are all social distancing.

Like I said, I made some truly wonderful memories on my Program before being sent back home. I had the most incredible month of my life. This story is about my absolute favorite memory from this Program, which happened to be my last full week in Florida. My family drove all the way from NJ to surprise me!

My mom went behind my back and booked a week at Pop Century through our favorite travel agent! It was Grace's spring break, so this was the only week they realistically could have seen me before our upcoming scheduled vacation in August. I was caught completely off guard! Thanks to the help of my Entertainment leadership, I secured some time off last minute to spend with them and we had an amazing week together. We rode the Skyliner, saw the Flower & Garden Festival, and explored Galaxy's Edge in the short time we had together.

In the neon yellow shirt is Dad! He's our driver and he proclaims every new thing that comes to the Park is "his new favorite." At this point, he probably loves Disney more than anyone else in the family does. The Poly is his happy place!

In the slinky dog headband is Grace, my 18-year-old sister. She's a freshman in college and she loves Slinky Dog!

In the gray t-shirt next to Perla is Mom! She's obsessed with Winnie the Pooh and she was so excited to see the Flower & Garden Festival this year.

Lastly, I'm the blueberry in the center! My name is Kaitlyn, I'm a recent college Grad who just "completed" her second Disney College Program, and I love writing Trip Reports on the DIS!

Who: The whole gang!
What: A surprise trip to WDW!
When: March 7-13
Where: POP Century Resort
Why: To celebrate Spring Break and visit me on my college program!

Now... on with the show!

(Click
here to start!)

Last edited:
Excited to read! I was there from March 6-10, before the whole world blew up! I cherish being able to have those last moments in Disney, as who knows when we can get there again!

Was so excited I forgot to add my quotes. Oops.

This is my 7th TR on the Boards and I'm excited to be back.
Words can't describe how sad I am at the circumstances that gave you the time to do this but is it okay to say I'm glad you're back on the boards?? I've missed getting my Kaitlyn fix of sugar and spice.

My family drove all the way from NJ to surprise me!
WHAT?? So amazing!

My mom went behind my back
Sneaky, sneaky mom

e rode the Skyliner, saw the Flower & Garden Festival, and explored Galaxy's Edge in the short time we had together.
😍😍😍

I was thinking about you and hoping all was well. I knew you were starting in February from your last TR.
I am excited to read all about it
Our March trip was canceled and I was hoping to run into you then, maybe some day!
How fun to have your parents and sister come down for a week!

I remember your instagram posts from this week. It really sounded like perfect bliss. I'm so excited to hear all about it. Even though I'll probably be sad because I never actually got to see you in action in blueberry form. So excited for this still! Love and miss you! :goodvibes

Unfortunately, during the second week of March, Disney announced that under the CDC's advisement, the Program was going to be suspended
Ugh - I'm so sorry. I was thinking about you when I heard they were closing the parks!
This story is about my absolute favorite memory from this Program, which happened to be my last full week in Florida.
I am 1000% here for this!! Can't wait to hear more!! :goodvibes

Never followed you, but am interested in what you have to share.

Agree with Chunky Monkey, we were at Disney March 6-9th celebrating 34 years...who knew!?!

Following along. Glad your family got a quick visit before this insanity . Looking forward to reading more.

So sorry for how your program ended- my heart broke for you when I heard. But how amazing that your family came down to surprise you! I love that you were able to have that time in the parks together before all this.

I'm so sorry for the way things turned out for your program :(

But soo sweet that your family surprised you and you were able to spend time with them before you had to leave!

Yay! Here for this! 😊

Thank you so much!!

Excited to read! I was there from March 6-10, before the whole world blew up! I cherish being able to have those last moments in Disney, as who knows when we can get there again!

Thank you so much for following along! I'm glad you were able to experience that last week of magic before the world shut down. Here's hoping we'll all be back soon!

Was so excited I forgot to add my quotes. Oops.

I AM OBSESSSSEEDDDDD WITH YOU

Words can't describe how sad I am at the circumstances that gave you the time to do this but is it okay to say I'm glad you're back on the boards?? I've missed getting my Kaitlyn fix of sugar and spice.

It is more than okay to say you're glad I'm back, because my heart is literally melting 🥺LOVE YOU

WHAT?? So amazing!
Sneaky, sneaky mom

She REALLY worked hard to keep this one under wraps!! It was crazy!!

I was thinking about you and hoping all was well. I knew you were starting in February from your last TR.
I am excited to read all about it
Our March trip was canceled and I was hoping to run into you then, maybe some day!
How fun to have your parents and sister come down for a week!

You are the sweetest ever. I am so, so sorry to hear about your March trip, hoping you guys will make a speedy return as soon as the Parks reopen! I'm sure our paths will cross one day. Thank you for stopping by! :hug:

I remember your instagram posts from this week. It really sounded like perfect bliss. I'm so excited to hear all about it. Even though I'll probably be sad because I never actually got to see you in action in blueberry form. So excited for this still! Love and miss you! :goodvibes

I LOVE YOU TIMMY!!!!!!! So grateful for the little time we were able to spend together this Spring. I love you lots and I'm so sad I never got to build a lightsaber with my favorite builder 🥺Miss you lots!!!!!!!

Can’t wait to read all about it!

Thank you so much!

Following!

Thank you!!

What a nice surprise! Can't wait to read about it.

Thank you so much!

Ugh - I'm so sorry. I was thinking about you when I heard they were closing the parks!

Thank you for thinking about me. You are the best :hug:

I am 1000% here for this!! Can't wait to hear more!! :goodvibes

Thank you so much!!

Never followed you, but am interested in what you have to share.

Agree with Chunky Monkey, we were at Disney March 6-9th celebrating 34 years...who knew!?!

Thank you for checking out my TR! I appreciate it!

Following along. Glad your family got a quick visit before this insanity . Looking forward to reading more.

Thank you so much!!

So sorry for how your program ended- my heart broke for you when I heard. But how amazing that your family came down to surprise you! I love that you were able to have that time in the parks together before all this.

You are the sweetest :hug: thank you so much!

I'm so sorry for the way things turned out for your program :(

But soo sweet that your family surprised you and you were able to spend time with them before you had to leave!

Thank you so much!!! You are the best!!! :hug:

Saturday, 3/7: Surprise!

So our story begins on a very normal Saturday.

I woke up in my apartment and my roommate said that another one of the girls in our apartment wanted to do a Publix run. I needed some groceries, so I got dressed and went out with them. After a pit stop at Starbucks, we grabbed some groceries and headed back to the Apartment.

After I put my groceries away, I decided to check my email. Even though I graduated in December, my school doesn't have a December graduation ceremony, so I was scheduled to walk with the May commencement. We were supposed to pick up our cap & gown at the school, which I obviously couldn't do if I was living in Florida. I had been talking to our cap & gown distributor to see if there was anything I could do to get my cap & gown shipped to my home in NJ, and I had just gotten my response from them. Mom asked me to call her once I got a response from this person, so I called her cell phone and she immediately declined the call. She texted me asking if everything was alright, and I said, "yes, I just wanted to call you about cap & gown stuff." She immediately texted back saying that she scratched her eye and was going to our town's emergency clinic, but that she would call me later, so I told her to feel better and not to worry!

... Little did I know she was actually in the car with dad, just arriving in Florida!

I fixed myself some lunch, did some laundry, and eventually put on my costume so I could go to work. That night, I was working at Princess Fairytale Hall for the first time. I would be with Cinderella and Elena, and I was so excited!

While I was on the bus to work, I got two different texts from two different friends of mine. My sorority sister Hannah and my camp coworker Heather were both in Magic Kingdom on this night, and they both wanted to visit me at the Hall. I told them I'd be with Cinderella & Elena, and they agreed to visit me once my shift started.

Eventually, I got to work and started helping out Cinderella & Elena. Not 10 minutes into my shift did Hannah arrive!

Really fun times. We caught up a little bit, and then she went on her way. She would be here for two weeks (or so she thought,) so we agreed to meet up later. She ended up saving my life the next week, but more on that later.

So things are going smoothly in Princess Fairytale Hall when my captain opens the door.

"You have some special guests!" She tells me.

With a smile, I walk over to the door, expecting to see Heather and her family.

...Imagine how shocked I am to see my own family running towards me!

Immediately there are tears. Lots of them. Dad is crying, mom is crying, Grace is crying, and I am certainly crying. I'm mostly in disbelief. "How did you guys get here?!?" is the first thing I asked. After all... mom was "back home" at our local clinic this morning! :rotfl: It took me SO long to process that she had lied to me, LOL! My family has never been great at keeping secrets/surprises, so this was really a shock. My captain tells me to enjoy a few minutes with my family, that she'll make sure things are running smooth while I catch up and that I can take some photos with them.

I walk them to both princesses, so we take a few photos, and in between, they explain everything: that they had been planning this spring break trip since I got accepted back in September, that they were staying at Pop Century for the week, that they had booked this park trip behind my back through our favorite travel agent. It was a super quick reunion, but I told them I would text them once I got on my break and we would work out details for the rest of the week. I have work for most of the days they're here, so I have to check in with my managers to see if they'll let me give a few shifts away.

The rest of the night comes and goes without incident, although my head is reeling and it's hard to process what just happened. It was the shock of the century and one of-- if not THE BEST-- on-stage memory I have from my entire Program.

After I clocked out that night, my friend Meghan and I got McDonalds and headed back to the apartment. I did have work early the next morning, so after I told my apartment what happened, I went to sleep so I would be well-rested for what would be a huge day!

(Click here to continue!)

Last edited:
... Little did I know she was actually in the car with dad, just arriving in Florida!
That wonderful sneaky woman!

Eventually, I got to work and started helping out Cinderella & Elena. Not 10 minutes into my shift did Hannah arrive!
That's so cool, and neat that you have cool pictures like that to remember those visits! Did you have a lot of friends come see you on shift?

...Imagine how shocked I am to see my own family running towards me!
Oh my gosh I can't even imagine. I would be melted on the floor. Just a puddle of Ann.

Immediately there are tears. Lots of them. Dad is crying, mom is crying, Grace is crying, and I am certainly crying.
Girl I'M crying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter