A little frustrated with DVC MS.....they are not equipped to handle transferred points very well at all.

DSLRuser

Age is a state of mind
I have an AUG use year. We went in NOV 2019 with some friends and got a 2br for a weekend. They transferred us 60 points to cover half from their OCT use year. But we did not use those points for that trip.

#1....I don't like how transferred do show up in your dashboard, but thats not the issue

We scheduled a trip for SEP 2020, using these borrowed points. Everything looked great. My dashboard showed the correct # of points. I tried to change resorts Monday, and needed only 2 addition points for the change. Which should have been fine because I had 46 available for 2020 still. (62 point resi becomes 64) But the system said I had to borrow for 2021, which should not be the case. I called MS and the guy said it was fine, the system is just weird some time....but...the room I wanted to move to was now gone.

Yesterday, the room was there. I made the edit. It forced me to use the remaining 46 points from 2020 and borrow from 2021. I called MS to fix it, and they were unable to properly move the borrowed points. They used my 46 remaining points then borrowed 18 from 2021. it was like they created a second resi, not edit original. When they went back to cancel the 1st resi, they could not use the borrowed points now on the new room. So now i am back to having 14 transferred points "hidden" on my account.

Long story short....the end result....i am being forced to use 14 points by Sept 31 2021, or loose them. For some reason...14 of these borrowed points could not be moved.

I know it is hard to convey the math in a post like this...but basically....I am losing 11 months of bankable use for 14 points. I can't guarantee we will travel by next SEPT.

Sorry to hear that this is how it worked out for you.

It is a good illustration why using transferred points is not all that easy - especially if the reservation that originally uses them is cancelled or modified. (This is also an issue when One Time Use points are involved).

I cringe when I see people discussing the purchase of multiple use years and some chime in to say it is not big deal to manage them, saying that you "just" transfer between them.

You can't see them online, you have to call MS to use them and the system is not built to handle them for either MS or members who prefer to deal online. Transferred points take more tracking & a better understanding of the "ins and outs" of DVC than the average Member is able (or willing) to do. Sometimes, as the OP found out, even the experienced run into issues trying to use them. I often wonder how many points are lost due to these issues. I suspect it's more than many think.

Again, @DSLRuser, I'm so sorry that you might lose some of those transferred points due to the system limitations.

Still have a year to figure it out......but it should not be an issue. They were very sorry. You are correct..transferred points are not ideal in any situation.

I learned this last winter, Borrowed points have to be used up before the transferred ones can be used.

I moved between my memberships but because of the different trip dates, I had to cancel one reservation...use the borrowed points in an earlier trip so I could then use the transferred points for the later trip when they were valid,

I was lucky we didn’t lose the room in the process..but it was a pain and one I won’t do again.

As mentioned, the transfer of points is not as easy as it sounds depending on what you have already in play.

You can't modify or make a reservation on line that has transferred points. Even when I transfer from my small Dec account to my larger Sept account. You also have to be careful that you are not borrowing the transferred points because you cannot borrow transferred points. They maintain their UY and resort. If they transferred Oct 2020 points, you cannot use them for a Sept 2020 trip because you would need to borrow them. If they transferred Oct 2019 points, you would be able to use them for a Sept 2020 trip.

Long story short....the end result....i am being forced to use 14 points by Sept 31 2021, or loose them. For some reason...14 of these borrowed points could not be moved.
I’m so sorry to hear this! That’s terribly frustrating!
I learned this last winter, Borrowed points have to be used up before the transferred ones can be used.
Yikes!! I had no idea!!! I have transferred, but not in combo with borrowed...plus modifications!

Thank you for the heads up. Just when I think I have a pretty good handle on things, I realize I still have so much to learn! 🤦🏻‍♀️
I cringe when I see people discussing the purchase of multiple use years and some chime in to say it is not big deal to manage them, saying that you "just" transfer between them.
...that would be me. :rolleyes1 I always tell not myself not to chime in until I’ve had (enough) firsthand experience to know what the heck I’m talking about. I thought I had, but clearly I was wrong! Some things you just can’t know until you’ve gone through it & this scenario has never happened to me. So sorry for making it sound too simple!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter