A Mostly Enchanted Christmas Trip Report - HNY - 18th - 22nd December 2014

So we had rested up in our room - which hadn't been serviced again - and our reservation for Brunch was at 1.30 so off we went around 1pm in our Minnie Mouse Christmas jumpers - the brunch theme was Christmas - 100 Acres Wood. :santa:

We arrived a little early but were taken through straight away. The manager asked if we had any more reservations at Inventions during our stay which puzzled me but then she explained she wanted to try to ensure she could seat us near the buffet. She apologised that she couldn't do that today. So off we went to our table all the way down in California Grill. Our waiter brought 2 glasses of champagne and I was going to ask him to swap Catherine's for OJ but then I caught myself on and ordered her a soft drink. :rotfl2:

I joined the buffet queue and it was very busy and slow so I was quite worried about how Catherine was coping left on her own at the table. I had a plate of fabulous seafood bits for my starter and brought Catherine a bowl of soup which she ate all of.

First up we had Piglet who was the most vivid pink colour I have ever seen outside of a bubble gum.

Then we had Rabbit.

I went back to the buffet and filled 2 more plates with exotic things for me and as plain as I could find for Catherine.

Shortly after I got back Mickey arrived and he even coaxed a little play out of Catherine.

The characters were very slow in coming and there was a big party of French guests in a side room just off where we were sitting - behind a floor to ceiling wine cabinet - you can see it in our photos. The CM with the characters kept directing them into this side room where they would then spend ages playing with several very excited children and then disappear again. I asked the CM when the characters would be coming to us and she was quite annoyed and said "soon" quite sharply. We had been there an hour and a half when more characters started to appear. We had Eeyore

and then Donald Duck.

While the characters were with us the children in the side room kept running out and trying to engage with them again with some success. I found myself wanting to tell 2 very small kids to piss off as their parents weren't dealing with them but I controlled myself and just told them to go back to their mummy. The CMs with the characters just pretended they didn't notice.

About then a lovely lady and little girl appeared at our table - MumtoBelle and her beautiful daughter had come to find us as they realised we were unlikely to find them as they were in a side room off Inventions and down 2 steps. We had a nice chat - Isabelle is a very articulate young lady - and then they went back to Jenny's mum.

We had visits from Dale

Chip

and Pluto

Tigger had come into our room and seen some other families but had been taken back to the "special" family in the side room by the CM and eventually I asked when he was coming back to meet Catherine. He was no longer there so I assumed he'd gone back up to the other end. We waited, and waited, and waited. I was really quite annoyed because of how the other group had hogged the characters and how the CMs with them had facilitated this. They may have been some sort of VIPs but we were paying guests and entitled to meet the characters too.

I told the waiter we were still waiting for Tigger and he went off to see. The manager came down to speak to me and I said we were going to wait until Tigger came back. I wasn't unpleasant and didn't raise my voice but I explained how the CMs had encouraged the characters into the side room and how we had seen Tigger in the room but that he had been taken back to the side room before seeing us and so we were waiting for our turn with him. She said she would go and find him and we waited and waited some more.

Our waiter was hovering and the restaurant was emptying. The manager came back about half an hour later and when she saw we were still waiting she asked had Tigger not been back to us? I said no, we were still waiting and really couldn't wait much longer. She told me she had spoken to Tigger and his CM and asked them to come down and see us but that they had now left. I said I was really quite disappointed, I explained how annoyed I was that the VIP family had been given special access to the characters and that it was because he was sent back in to them that we missed Tigger. I said their children had been our pulling characters away from us when we had been having our turn and that I was really disappointed that Inventions would allow a disabled guest to be treated less favourably.

She couldn't have been more apologetic and said she would waive the additional charge on top of the premium vouchers and would try to make it up to Catherine. She said she had made it clear to the CMs that the other group were to be treated the same as everyone else and that they were not to have special access to the characters so she was really annoyed that this had happened and said other guests had also complained about it. She told me to bring Catherine back the following day at 12.30 and she would allow her to have photos and autographs with whoever the characters were at lunch. She said she couldn't guarantee which characters would be there so we might not meet Tigger. She really was doing her best and I told her I appreciated it. I said Monday was our last day and I wasn't entirely sure what our plans were but that we would do our best to get back at lunchtime. She asked what our plans for lunch were and I told her we had booked Walt's for 3.30.

At this stage Catherine started complaining about pains in her tummy so we went off to the bathroom. On our way back down the corridor in DLH we saw a CM who was making silhouette pictures. I was really taken with them and so we waited our turn and had silhouettes done of us. This did take quite a while and poor Catherine's tummy was really causing her bother, we had 2 more toilet trips before we were finished, but I loved the end result. The photo loses some of the detail which is incredible.

After all that we headed back to our hotel - it felt like we'd wasted half our day and Catherine was feeling really poorly. The room had been serviced while we were out. I packed the cases while she lay in bed supervising. She continued to be really unwell all evening and into the night and we had several mad dashes to get her to the loo in time. She finally settled into a long sleep in the early hours.

Lovely report! Its great that you got such amazing character interaction, but such a shame about how you were treated in Inventions. Good of the manager to try and make it up to you though. Sorry that Catherine was feeling so unwell. Looking forward to reading more.

sorry that Catherine was unwell...there's nothing worse when you're away from home. Those silhouettes are amazing! really really love them. a lovely keepsake. was it expensive?
you handled the situation at inventions really well, and it sounds like you get respect from the manager for it. i hope you got to meet tigger in the end!

Anne I read this this afternoon the pics ate fabulous but I like you was disappointed with brunch much to my sadness we didn't meet everyone either.
Sorry to read Catherine was ill hope it didn't spoil it to much?

Looking forward to seeing to the next instalment xxx

Lovely trip report and fab photos :)

That's a really poor show at Inventions, but I love those silhouette pictures! Wow! A unique souvenir from your trip.

Lovely report! Its great that you got such amazing character interaction, but such a shame about how you were treated in Inventions. Good of the manager to try and make it up to you though. Sorry that Catherine was feeling so unwell. Looking forward to reading more.

Thank you Neeny :goodvibes I actually still consider the brunch a success to be honest - if it hadn't been for the really "in your face" double standard of treatment right beside where we were sitting I wouldn't have made an issue out of not meeting Tigger. It was just so obvious the characters and their CMs were more interested in that family than anyone else.

The other thing that made brunch difficult was our distance from the buffet and if we ever go again I will visit the hotel in advance and explain our situation and ask if they can keep us a table close to the buffet. It was unfortunate that 1.30 was the earliest ADR we could get. I felt reluctant to go back to the buffet more than 3 times - we did also get desserts - I got quite a few lovely things and asked for ice cream for Catherine and she got a Magnum and a tub of Ben & Jerries. :thumbsup2

sorry that Catherine was unwell...there's nothing worse when you're away from home. Those silhouettes are amazing! really really love them. a lovely keepsake. was it expensive?
you handled the situation at inventions really well, and it sounds like you get respect from the manager for it. i hope you got to meet tigger in the end!

Thank you Dhidra. :goodvibes The picture in the photo was 35 Euro and I also bought 2 single cards with the silhouette of our faces for 5 Euro each. He cuts out from a folded sheet of paper so there are 2 silhouettes each time and I didn't want to leave the 2nd ones. I thought it was a really fair price for what we got. Thanks, I don't normally complain about things but was glad I did this time as she had had a number of other complaints which really helped my case.

Anne I read this this afternoon the pics ate fabulous but I like you was disappointed with brunch much to my sadness we didn't meet everyone either.
Sorry to read Catherine was ill hope it didn't spoil it to much?

Looking forward to seeing to the next instalment xxx

Thanks Rachael, as I said I did enjoy brunch - I would go again - but would make my reservations earlier so we got first slot and would try to ensure we were seated closer to buffet. If we'd been up there I wouldn't have had any idea about the other group so it wouldn't have annoyed me. There was a lovely ice sculpture in behind the seafood but the buffet was so crowded and I was panicking about Catherine forgetting where I'd gone and wandering off so I never did discover what it was of. The sickness was difficult but it definitely didn't cancel out the good times from the trip. :goodvibes

Lovely trip report and fab photos :)

That's a really poor show at Inventions, but I love those silhouette pictures! Wow! A unique souvenir from your trip.

Thank you BabyAriel. I am really glad we got them - it's getting an Ikea frame and going on the wall - I love it. :goodvibes

When Catherine woke around 6 and went to the bathroom things seemed to have stabilised so I asked what she wanted to do and she said she wanted to go back to the park and do more M&Gs. So we got ready and were down for breakfast about 7.30 and were sent to Parkside Diner. As always I went and got her her scrambled eggs and sausages before sorting myself out but as soon as I put food in front of her she started to retch and then be sick. I asked for and got help really quickly from the CMs and as soon as I had wiped her down we got out of there fast and went back to our room. I stripped her down to her long underwear and got her back into bed. She fell asleep immediately.

I then had a 4 Weddings moment - silently of course - but I was worried sick about her and also very conscious that we were due to check out by 11. I rang reception and explained the situation to a CM who said we could keep the room until 12 but that if we needed it longer than that we would need to call a doctor. I decided to wait and see how she was at 11 or when she woke up, whichever was earlier. I then lay down on the other bed and fell asleep too. When I woke at 11.15 - had forgotten to set an alarm - Catherine was sitting up in bed and looking a bit brighter. I got her a bottle of water and let her sip gently and when at 11.45 she'd had half the bottle and not been sick again I decided we wouldn't call a doctor.

Instead when we had checked out and left our luggage we went down to the park and after a wander round the DLH shop we went to Inventions. I thought a bit of guaranteed character interaction would perk her up a bit. Laura, the manager was really pleased to see us and offered us our choice of any free table in the restaurant. We sat at a fabulous big table in the window where there was loads of light. We were offered lunch but as we had the reservation at Walt's I said no, thank you and just made sure Cathreine sipped her water while we waited for characters. Laura explained that sadly Tigger wasn't there but said we could meet all the characters there and take as many photos as we wanted. The table was ours for as long as we wanted it. That woman knows a thing or 2 about people skills and customer service - she couldn't have been more helpful. She even came and took photos of ys together with our camera with most of the characters.

So we had Donald - we waited 3 trips to meet him and then met him 4 times :rotfl2:

Daisy

Gepetto

Goofy

and a lovely playful Pluto

I thought that was all the characters but Laura said Eeyore was also there but might be a while before he made it down to us so I said we were very grateful and would go and try to get a Merida ticket before lunch in Walt's. It was nearly 2pm. She apologised again that Tigger hadn't been there and I said I really appreciated the efforts she had gone to to make up for yesterday and was reallly grateful. Catherine was also suitably enthusiastic which was great as her social skills are not always as consistently good as they were pre-dementia.

We went out and joined quite a long queue at the disabled sign at Merida's M&G and I wasn't sure we would get to see her but when the CM saw the numbers she took green passes first and asked orange ones to wait to one side so we got a pass for 5.10. We went off then up to beside Bella Notte to wait for the parade. It got very crowded but we held our ground and we saw the Frozen Welcome first - this was just 1 carriage with Anna and Elsa and I wasn't that impressed but the crowds were delighted and the CMs were having a ball hamming up singing the words to Let it Go and throwing their arms around dramatically - very entertaining.

Think my batteries were running down as the camera was really slow so I kept missing the shot I wanted and getting the backs of heads.

Then the Christmas parade which I really loved but it was far too short. I've watched this a few times on youtube since I got home just for the feel good factor. We saw Tigger in the parade but sod's law he went to the other side of the street to high 5 and greet guests - we got Eeyore.

When the parade was over we had a quick go on It's a Small World and we were really lucky because just as we arrived the wheelchair boat was at the dock so the CM shouted to hold it and we got straight on. I love IASW - in small doses of course - and had been looking forward to seeing the Christmas overlay but was really disappointed that most of the song had been replaced by Jingle Bells - all the verses were gone and the chorus just repeated in between snatches of jungle bells - not what I had been expecting.

It was then time to head down to Walt's for lunch. We went in and were helped by another customer who held the door for us when she saw the wheelchair - I have to say so many people were really kind and helpful to us this trip - far more than weren't. The CM took my name and then showed us to the lift but left me to work out how to get in which wasn't easy. There's an outer door and then inner doors and I could have done with some help. At the top several CMs came to assist as we came out of the lift and we were shown to a window table in one of the rooms. Now I could see its appeal but it was desperately cramped in there and when they then seated a family at the table for 4 next to us the wheelchair was penned in. There was barely room to walk round the table.

We got menus and I chose fillet steak for myself and asked for plain chicken and mashed potatoes for Catherine. I said she was feeling poorly and I wasn't certain she would be able to eat. Our waiter didn't understand any English, or maybe it was my accent, and the french words deserted me so he went off and got 2 other CMs, 1 of whom I think was the chef, and they sorted it out. We didn't have starters. My beef was fabulous and Catherine's meal was lovely but sadly after just a few bites her tummy felt sore so I said she was to stop eating and just sip her drink. I felt pretty awful eating in front of her but she was fine about it -she didn't want to be sick again - and I was starving as I hadn't had any breakfast. I had a dessert and we both had a second soft drink. When the waiter brought my dessert he asked why I wasn't getting my sister a dessert - I wanted to thump him but instead I explained in french and english that Catherine was feeling sick. What sort of a monster did he think I was. The bill came and was well under our vouchers but what could I do?

I had had to take Catherine to the bathroom 4 times during the meal and as there wasn't room for the chair she had to make her way round the other tables and chairs with very little room. There was no disabled bathroom where I could assist her in private, just 2 narrow cubicles in the ladies.

We watched what we could see of another Christmas parade from the window while we were there but we were above a flat roofed area that jutted out so couldn't see right down to the street. The snow falling was pretty special though and we got all the music.

When we left to go to our Merida appointment none of the CMs helped - I had to fold the wheelchair to get past the family at the next table who were helpful and moved their chairs to make room, and then get Catherine's coat on in the corridor. We struggled again with the lift and when we did get it to work and got downstairs 2 CMs just stood and watched me struggle with the door and didn't lift a finger to help. I just didn't understand this. Walt's does not get good marks from me - the food was fabulous but that in its own isn't enough. The staff really let it down.

Merida though was fabulous. Very true to her character and a lovely chatty girl. She asked Catherine who her favourite character was and she said Mickey and when she asked who her favourite Disney princess was she said Mickey again. :rotfl2: I tried to save the day saying I loved Brave and Merida's feistiness.

The last parade was just finishing as we headed out of the park to go back to the hotel to wait for our shuttle and I had a thought and popped into City Hall to ask whether in the circumstances they could send us a signed photo of Tigger in his Christmas outfit. We spoke to a lovely CM called Camilla and explained what had happened at inventions who said if we had called in that morning she could have sorted something but that it was too late to do anything that day. She said sending photos is "not a service they provide" but that next time we came I should call in when we arrived and say I had spoken to her and that they would try to arrange something. We chatted a bit and I explained about Catherine's dementia and how I really don't know from 1 trip to the next if she will be able to come back. Again, it was very conversational and not whingey or shouty.

She said that she hoped the disabled ppass had been a help and I said it had but that as the characters in the hotels had been replaced by EMH characters she had really lost a lot of character interaction this trip. She seemed surprised until I explained that we had been too late to meet Mickey and Minnie at 9.10 one morning and Goofy and Pluto at 8.45 another - she hadn't understood that queues closed so early. I said for people like Catherine who struggle to get up early, the removal of characters from the hotels where they could meet them indoors in the warm as late as 11am and their replacement with a few M&Gs in the park in EMH was a real loss. Not sure if it was her tummy or whether Catherine was getting dramatic but she started to cry at this point and said "it's not fair!" I laughed and gave her a hug and said to Camilla that we needed to make a move as we were being picked up in half an hour.

She asked us to wait for a few minutes and disappeared into the back then came back with a piece of paper and said it was a voucher to get 6 pins at one of the shops and that she really hoped we could find a Tigger pin to make up for not meeting him. I was really taken aback and we went into the emporium where - guess what? - there wasn't a single Tigger pin. I picked 6 and at the till they totalled over 40 Euros but the voucher covered them. What lovely pixiedust:

Back in the hotel we went to the shop there and I looked for a Tigger pin but again none. I bought a few last minute things including a M&M snowglobe for Catherine's Christmas stocking and then we went to ask the luggage room to get our bags and wait for our transfer at 6.30. I also had a thought and ran into the bar and bought the boys each a glow cube. They both work in bars and loved the one I brought home from our first visit. I brought them one each home the last visit from glowtinis I had drunk but they didn't work when we got home. This trip I hadn't managed a single glowtini so just paid 4.50 each for unused ones at the bar.

We waited and waited and at 6.45 I asked the concierge to phone and check with RS Transports. They told him there had been an accident and they would be there in 10 minutes. Eventually at 7.15 they arrived and we got into the car. The driver said he had another pick-up to make at another hotel. We went to Magic Circus and waited and waited. Poor Catherine's tummy was cramping again so I took her in to use the bathroom and then we went out and waited some more. I was panicking when the driver took a call on his phone and then drove off saying he needed to go to another hotel. We went to Sequoia Lodge where he picked up a guy who sat in the front with him and it was 8.10 when we left there. Our flight was at 9.30 so check in would close at 8.50 and I was desperately worried we might not make it. Catherine was in agony and floods of tears beside me and all I could do was hug her and tell her it would all be ok when we got there. I didn;t quite believe it myself. We made it with just 5 minutes to spare. I ran through the airport to the check-in desk with the wheelchair and the driver ran with our luggage on a trolley. I practically flung his money at him I was so upset though in hindsight it was the company's fault, not his and I regret being so offhand with him personally.

The check in person was clearly having a bad day and she didn't want to accept our case which was 24 kilos. I had prearranged with Aer Lingus that we could have 1 case between us so long as it didn't go over the maximum weight limit which is 32 kilos. I told her there should be a note on the booking saying this and that we had permission from the airline. She said she could see the note but said the case was too heavy and she got on the phone and started ranting to someone. When she finished she told me she would take the case just this once but that we were never to do that again.

She handed me our passports and I rushed Catherine off to the bathroom where I had to completely change her from the waist down - not easy when all you have is toilet roll and cold water. She was really distressed and I had to keep telling her it wasn't her fault. When we had finished and came out of the bathroom a kind young man who had arrived at check out just behind us was waiting to tell me that our boarding passes were still at check-in. The desk was closed and Miss check-in was huffing and puffing. After all we'd been through I couldn't listen to her and cut her off. I said my sister is too sick for this. Can we please just have our boarding cards and get to the gate.

Our assistance had arrived and a really nice young man took the wheelchair and one of the bags and we made our way to the gate. We arrived just in time to board and as always the Aer Lingus staff were absolute angels. They moved the man sitting beside us to another row to give Catherine more room and couldn't do enough to help. Catherine slept most of the way home and I downed a bottle of water and had a very welcome cup of tea. It was only sitting on the plane that I had time to remember it was my birthday and it was all I could do not to bawl my eyes out. It had been an incredibly stressful 36 hours.

My lovely aunt was waiting for us in Dublin. I'd spoken to her on the phone earlier in the day when she had rung to wish me a happy birthday and I'd told her Catherine was sick but she was still shocked to see her. I did cry at that stage - until then I couldn't afford to as Catherine needed me too much. I went and got the car from the car park while Chris sat with her inside and when we got her back to my aunts house we got her into a hot bath and a clean nightdress and into bed. She woke up much better in the morning and had recovered sufficiently by that evening to eat soup with no ill effects.

I have a close school friend who works for the food standards agency and whose career before that was in environmental health who thinks Catherine probably had Norovirus, based on her symptoms and the duration of the sickness. In hindsight we probably ought not to have been anywhere near Inventions or Walt's on the Monday as she may well have spread it to others. It didn't however occur to me at the time. I really hope we weren't responsible for anyone else being sick but will never know. From what I've read recently on TA there was a lot of it about in DLP around the time we were there. Catherine must have caught it from someone there.

As I said in my earlier post no matter how horrific this last day was at times, it in no way cancelled out the joy and happiness Catherine had for most of our trip. The weather was pretty good considering - between 8 and 12 degrees in the daytime with only 1 really wet day and it wasn't as much of a struggle to keep Catherine warm as I had thought. Much of that was down to planning - she wore her long thermal underwear every day and the snow boots kept her feet toasty warm and dry. Inspite of poor Catherine's illness the trip was a success.

I will however never book transfers with RS Transports again. Our journey to the airport was a total shambles - absolutely unacceptable. It wasn't their fault Catherine was so sick but it didn't help that we had to keep hanging around. Perhaps if we had been picked up on time and taken straight to the airport she might have got to the bathroom in time. If there had been the slightest delay on route we would have missed our flight which was the last flight home that day. Add this to the experience in June where our driver fell asleep at the wheel and it adds up to a "never again" decision. They simply can't be trusted to provide a safe and timely service.

Thanks for reading and I hope this hasn't been TMI. I've tried not to be too graphic. :hug: to you all.

When Catherine woke around 6 and went to the bathroom things seemed to have stabilised so I asked what she wanted to do and she said she wanted to go back to the park and do more M&Gs. So we got ready and were down for breakfast about 7.30 and were sent to Parkside Diner. As always I went and got her her scrambled eggs and sausages before sorting myself out but as soon as I put food in front of her she started to retch and then be sick. I asked for and got help really quickly from the CMs and as soon as I had wiped her down we got out of there fast and went back to our room. I stripped her down to her long underwear and got her back into bed. She fell asleep immediately.

I then had a 4 Weddings moment - silently of course - but I was worried sick about her and also very conscious that we were due to check out by 11. I rang reception and explained the situation to a CM who said we could keep the room until 12 but that if we needed it longer than that we would need to call a doctor. I decided to wait and see how she was at 11 or when she woke up, whichever was earlier. I then lay down on the other bed and fell asleep too. When I woke at 11.15 - had forgotten to set an alarm - Catherine was sitting up in bed and looking a bit brighter. I got her a bottle of water and let her sip gently and when at 11.45 she'd had half the bottle and not been sick again I decided we wouldn't call a doctor.

Instead when we had checked out and left our luggage we went down to the park and after a wander round the DLH shop we went to Inventions. I thought a bit of guaranteed character interaction would perk her up a bit. Laura, the manager was really pleased to see us and offered us our choice of any free table in the restaurant. We sat at a fabulous big table in the window where there was loads of light. We were offered lunch but as we had the reservation at Walt's I said no, thank you and just made sure Cathreine sipped her water while we waited for characters. Laura explained that sadly Tigger wasn't there but said we could meet all the characters there and take as many photos as we wanted. The table was ours for as long as we wanted it. That woman knows a thing or 2 about people skills and customer service - she couldn't have been more helpful. She even came and took photos of ys together with our camera with most of the characters.

So we had Donald - we waited 3 trips to meet him and then met him 4 times :rotfl2:

Daisy

Gepetto

Goofy

and a lovely playful Pluto

I thought that was all the characters but Laura said Eeyore was also there but might be a while before he made it down to us so I said we were very grateful and would go and try to get a Merida ticket before lunch in Walt's. It was nearly 2pm. She apologised again that Tigger hadn't been there and I said I really appreciated the efforts she had gone to to make up for yesterday and was reallly grateful. Catherine was also suitably enthusiastic which was great as her social skills are not always as consistently good as they were pre-dementia.

We went out and joined quite a long queue at the disabled sign at Merida's M&G and I wasn't sure we would get to see her but when the CM saw the numbers she took green passes first and asked orange ones to wait to one side so we got a pass for 5.10. We went off then up to beside Bella Notte to wait for the parade. It got very crowded but we held our ground and we saw the Frozen Welcome first - this was just 1 carriage with Anna and Elsa and I wasn't that impressed but the crowds were delighted and the CMs were having a ball hamming up singing the words to Let it Go and throwing their arms around dramatically - very entertaining.

Think my batteries were running down as the camera was really slow so I kept missing the shot I wanted and getting the backs of heads.

Then the Christmas parade which I really loved but it was far too short. I've watched this a few times on youtube since I got home just for the feel good factor. We saw Tigger in the parade but sod's law he went to the other side of the street to high 5 and greet guests - we got Eeyore.

When the parade was over we had a quick go on It's a Small World and we were really lucky because just as we arrived the wheelchair boat was at the dock so the CM shouted to hold it and we got straight on. I love IASW - in small doses of course - and had been looking forward to seeing the Christmas overlay but was really disappointed that most of the song had been replaced by Jingle Bells - all the verses were gone and the chorus just repeated in between snatches of jungle bells - not what I had been expecting.

It was then time to head down to Walt's for lunch. We went in and were helped by another customer who held the door for us when she saw the wheelchair - I have to say so many people were really kind and helpful to us this trip - far more than weren't. The CM took my name and then showed us to the lift but left me to work out how to get in which wasn't easy. There's an outer door and then inner doors and I could have done with some help. At the top several CMs came to assist as we came out of the lift and we were shown to a window table in one of the rooms. Now I could see its appeal but it was desperately cramped in there and when they then seated a family at the table for 4 next to us the wheelchair was penned in. There was barely room to walk round the table.

We got menus and I chose fillet steak for myself and asked for plain chicken and mashed potatoes for Catherine. I said she was feeling poorly and I wasn't certain she would be able to eat. Our waiter didn't understand any English, or maybe it was my accent, and the french words deserted me so he went off and got 2 other CMs, 1 of whom I think was the chef, and they sorted it out. We didn't have starters. My beef was fabulous and Catherine's meal was lovely but sadly after just a few bites her tummy felt sore so I said she was to stop eating and just sip her drink. I felt pretty awful eating in front of her but she was fine about it -she didn't want to be sick again - and I was starving as I hadn't had any breakfast. I had a dessert and we both had a second soft drink. When the waiter brought my dessert he asked why I wasn't getting my sister a dessert - I wanted to thump him but instead I explained in french and english that Catherine was feeling sick. What sort of a monster did he think I was. The bill came and was well under our vouchers but what could I do?

I had had to take Catherine to the bathroom 4 times during the meal and as there wasn't room for the chair she had to make her way round the other tables and chairs with very little room. There was no disabled bathroom where I could assist her in private, just 2 narrow cubicles in the ladies.

We watched what we could see of another Christmas parade from the window while we were there but we were above a flat roofed area that jutted out so couldn't see right down to the street. The snow falling was pretty special though and we got all the music.

When we left to go to our Merida appointment none of the CMs helped - I had to fold the wheelchair to get past the family at the next table who were helpful and moved their chairs to make room, and then get Catherine's coat on in the corridor. We struggled again with the lift and when we did get it to work and got downstairs 2 CMs just stood and watched me struggle with the door and didn't lift a finger to help. I just didn't understand this. Walt's does not get good marks from me - the food was fabulous but that in its own isn't enough. The staff really let it down.

Merida though was fabulous. Very true to her character and a lovely chatty girl. She asked Catherine who her favourite character was and she said Mickey and when she asked who her favourite Disney princess was she said Mickey again. :rotfl2: I tried to save the day saying I loved Brave and Merida's feistiness.

The last parade was just finishing as we headed out of the park to go back to the hotel to wait for our shuttle and I had a thought and popped into City Hall to ask whether in the circumstances they could send us a signed photo of Tigger in his Christmas outfit. We spoke to a lovely CM called Camilla and explained what had happened at inventions who said if we had called in that morning she could have sorted something but that it was too late to do anything that day. She said sending photos is "not a service they provide" but that next time we came I should call in when we arrived and say I had spoken to her and that they would try to arrange something. We chatted a bit and I explained about Catherine's dementia and how I really don't know from 1 trip to the next if she will be able to come back. Again, it was very conversational and not whingey or shouty.

She said that she hoped the disabled ppass had been a help and I said it had but that as the characters in the hotels had been replaced by EMH characters she had really lost a lot of character interaction this trip. She seemed surprised until I explained that we had been too late to meet Mickey and Minnie at 9.10 one morning and Goofy and Pluto at 8.45 another - she hadn't understood that queues closed so early. I said for people like Catherine who struggle to get up early, the removal of characters from the hotels where they could meet them indoors in the warm as late as 11am and their replacement with a few M&Gs in the park in EMH was a real loss. Not sure if it was her tummy or whether Catherine was getting dramatic but she started to cry at this point and said "it's not fair!" I laughed and gave her a hug and said to Camilla that we needed to make a move as we were being picked up in half an hour.

She asked us to wait for a few minutes and disappeared into the back then came back with a piece of paper and said it was a voucher to get 6 pins at one of the shops and that she really hoped we could find a Tigger pin to make up for not meeting him. I was really taken aback and we went into the emporium where - guess what? - there wasn't a single Tigger pin. I picked 6 and at the till they totalled over 40 Euros but the voucher covered them. What lovely pixiedust:

Back in the hotel we went to the shop there and I looked for a Tigger pin but again none. I bought a few last minute things including a M&M snowglobe for Catherine's Christmas stocking and then we went to ask the luggage room to get our bags and wait for our transfer at 6.30. I also had a thought and ran into the bar and bought the boys each a glow cube. They both work in bars and loved the one I brought home from our first visit. I brought them one each home the last visit from glowtinis I had drunk but they didn't work when we got home. This trip I hadn't managed a single glowtini so just paid 4.50 each for unused ones at the bar.

We waited and waited and at 6.45 I asked the concierge to phone and check with RS Transports. They told him there had been an accident and they would be there in 10 minutes. Eventually at 7.15 they arrived and we got into the car. The driver said he had another pick-up to make at another hotel. We went to Magic Circus and waited and waited. Poor Catherine's tummy was cramping again so I took her in to use the bathroom and then we went out and waited some more. I was panicking when the driver took a call on his phone and then drove off saying he needed to go to another hotel. We went to Sequoia Lodge where he picked up a guy who sat in the front with him and it was 8.10 when we left there. Our flight was at 9.30 so check in would close at 8.50 and I was desperately worried we might not make it. Catherine was in agony and floods of tears beside me and all I could do was hug her and tell her it would all be ok when we got there. I didn;t quite believe it myself. We made it with just 5 minutes to spare. I ran through the airport to the check-in desk with the wheelchair and the driver ran with our luggage on a trolley. I practically flung his money at him I was so upset though in hindsight it was the company's fault, not his and I regret being so offhand with him personally.

The check in person was clearly having a bad day and she didn't want to accept our case which was 24 kilos. I had prearranged with Aer Lingus that we could have 1 case between us so long as it didn't go over the maximum weight limit which is 32 kilos. I told her there should be a note on the booking saying this and that we had permission from the airline. She said she could see the note but said the case was too heavy and she got on the phone and started ranting to someone. When she finished she told me she would take the case just this once but that we were never to do that again.

She handed me our passports and I rushed Catherine off to the bathroom where I had to completely change her from the waist down - not easy when all you have is toilet roll and cold water. She was really distressed and I had to keep telling her it wasn't her fault. When we had finished and came out of the bathroom a kind young man who had arrived at check out just behind us was waiting to tell me that our boarding passes were still at check-in. The desk was closed and Miss check-in was huffing and puffing. After all we'd been through I couldn't listen to her and cut her off. I said my sister is too sick for this. Can we please just have our boarding cards and get to the gate.

Our assistance had arrived and a really nice young man took the wheelchair and one of the bags and we made our way to the gate. We arrived just in time to board and as always the Aer Lingus staff were absolute angels. They moved the man sitting beside us to another row to give Catherine more room and couldn't do enough to help. Catherine slept most of the way home and I downed a bottle of water and had a very welcome cup of tea. It was only sitting on the plane that I had time to remember it was my birthday and it was all I could do not to bawl my eyes out. It had been an incredibly stressful 36 hours.

My lovely aunt was waiting for us in Dublin. I'd spoken to her on the phone earlier in the day when she had rung to wish me a happy birthday and I'd told her Catherine was sick but she was still shocked to see her. I did cry at that stage - until then I couldn't afford to as Catherine needed me too much. I went and got the car from the car park while Chris sat with her inside and when we got her back to my aunts house we got her into a hot bath and a clean nightdress and into bed. She woke up much better in the morning and had recovered sufficiently by that evening to eat soup with no ill effects.

I have a close school friend who works for the food standards agency and whose career before that was in environmental health who thinks Catherine probably had Norovirus, based on her symptoms and the duration of the sickness. In hindsight we probably ought not to have been anywhere near Inventions or Walt's on the Monday as she may well have spread it to others. It didn't however occur to me at the time. I really hope we weren't responsible for anyone else being sick but will never know. From what I've read recently on TA there was a lot of it about in DLP around the time we were there. Catherine must have caught it from someone there.

As I said in my earlier post no matter how horrific this last day was at times, it in no way cancelled out the joy and happiness Catherine had for most of our trip. The weather was pretty good considering - between 8 and 12 degrees in the daytime with only 1 really wet day and it wasn't as much of a struggle to keep Catherine warm as I had thought. Much of that was down to planning - she wore her long thermal underwear every day and the snow boots kept her feet toasty warm and dry. Inspite of poor Catherine's illness the trip was a success.

I will however never book transfers with RS Transports again. Our journey to the airport was a total shambles - absolutely unacceptable. It wasn't their fault Catherine was so sick but it didn't help that we had to keep hanging around. Perhaps if we had been picked up on time and taken straight to the airport she might have got to the bathroom in time. If there had been the slightest delay on route we would have missed our flight which was the last flight home that day. Add this to the experience in June where our driver fell asleep at the wheel and it adds up to a "never again" decision. They simply can't be trusted to provide a safe and timely service.

Thanks for reading and I hope this hasn't been TMI. I've tried not to be too graphic. :hug: to you all.

Oh what a nightmare! Poor Catherine and poor you! I'm glad that some of the CMs/staff were good to you and I'm glad the last couple of days didn't spoil the trip overall. I think you handled it all brilliantly though; Catherine is lucky to have you as a sister.

I read this my cuppa this morning Anne :)
Catherine really been though it over the last few weeks hasn't she, hope this illness spell is over now !!
How nice was the manger to let you do that I may try inventions again just because of this :goodvibes
I do think the sickness thing is something to do with the resort it self our last 3 trips there someone if not 2 of us have had a sickness bug.
What a nightmare the transfer to the airport hope you complained.
we haven't flown to CDG for years I hate the airport never had a good experience there ever !!
We are lucky re the Eurostar people think we are silly going to london the night before studying in a hotel but the train and travelodge are cheaper than a private transfer from CDG and the Eurostar is a lot less stressful and no weigh limits either good for a girl like me who doesn't travel light lol!!

So what the plan for June ??
Or are you holding off to see how Catherine is ?
Xx

I read this my cuppa this morning Anne :)
Catherine really been though it over the last few weeks hasn't she, hope this illness spell is over now !!
How nice was the manger to let you do that I may try inventions again just because of this :goodvibes
I do think the sickness thing is something to do with the resort it self our last 3 trips there someone if not 2 of us have had a sickness bug.
What a nightmare the transfer to the airport hope you complained.
we haven't flown to CDG for years I hate the airport never had a good experience there ever !!
We are lucky re the Eurostar people think we are silly going to london the night before studying in a hotel but the train and travelodge are cheaper than a private transfer from CDG and the Eurostar is a lot less stressful and no weigh limits either good for a girl like me who doesn't travel light lol!!

So what the plan for June ??
Or are you holding off to see how Catherine is ?
Xx

Thanks Rachael. Catherine's health is too precarious to make plans for June this early. She's back in hospital today - had a seizure this morning and they don't know why. I just popped home for some stuff to stay the night.

Yes, that manager would restore your faith in people, she was wonderful.

I haven't had the energy to write and complain to RSTransports yet but I will probably get round to it soon. Wish we had the option of Eurostar - sounds a lot less stressful. :)

Oh what a nightmare! Poor Catherine and poor you! I'm glad that some of the CMs/staff were good to you and I'm glad the last couple of days didn't spoil the trip overall. I think you handled it all brilliantly though; Catherine is lucky to have you as a sister.

Thank you Neeny - it was a bit at the end but we really did have such a wonderful first few days. Thanks for saying that but I'm sure anyone would do the same for their sister if the circumstances were the same. :goodvibes

Hi Rachael. Catherine is home this evening. Will never know cause of seizure. CT scan was inconclusive and she wouldn't cope with a MRI scan unless she was put under which could cause other problems. Because she is in a couple of high risk groups for seizures with her Down's and dementia they have prescribed an anti seizure medication as a precaution. In a healthy adult they would have waited to see if there was another one.

Being in hospital is never easy for her and she was very restless and confused today, talking to invisible people, so I was glad they let her go home. Am taking her to an review appointment tomorrow for her last hospital admission then bringing her home to my house for weekend.

Thanks for the prayers, much appreciated. xxx

Keep me posted we will pray for her I told the boys and the said a pray for her today at school or the nice lady who sent then a new book and pen :)
Ct scan not to bad but Alex MRI was a mare I won't put him or Catherine though it with out being under tbh.

Hope appointment go's well xx

I told the boys and the said a pray for her today at school or the nice lady who sent then a new book and pen :)

Bless you and bless them Rachael. All teared up now. :love: xxx

My dad told me my uncle said "that's what happens with Anne dragging her off to Paris in the midst of winter, wearing her out!" Even though I know 100% that is nonsense it still hurts a little that someone should think never mind say it.

He also thinks I shouldn't take Catherine out of her residential home at weekends as it just confuses her.

He who hasn't seen her in years. :rolleyes1

MRI won't be happening. Will let you know how things go. xxx

Sending you a big hug Anemone :hug: You did so well on your trip, it sounded pretty eventful x

How did it go Anne ?
Your uncle sounds very negative while Catherine can still get out and about go for it ignore him !
Xx

Rachael, hospital appt went well today. This is the first time anyone mentioned this to me, but apparently they have been monitoring a suspicious area on one of her lungs for several years and they wanted another chest x ray to see if there had been any change since the x rays in December. As she had been x rayed on Wednesday they just checked it and all was well. We were in and out very quickly. :thumbsup2

Oh he is easy to ignore - I haven't seen him in over 10 years as he tends to stay at home in Co Leitrim feeling miserable. Probably thinks everyone should do the same. I've no intention of sitting at home waiting for the dementia to swallow her up.

Thanks again hun, has been a difficult week - hopefully things will improve for a while now. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter