A Pixie Dusted Christmas 2013 - Completed 8/4/14

In Love with Animal Kingdom (Part 1)

The day after Christmas was our day to explore Animal Kingdom. On our first trip we had not spent much time there. We had been on a mission to meet Pocahontas and once we did we were off to other parks (in fact that day we did all 4 in one day!!!)

This time we wanted to really enjoy the park and I can honestly say – we fell in love. We got up and dressed for our trip over to Animal Kingdom. As we walked through the park on the way to Tusker House, the fog was still coming up over Everest and it was stunning.

We arrived right on schedule for our breakfast and were greeted by Donald outside – love the safari outfits the characters wear at Tusker House and we loved the food we ate as well.

I think everything I tried was yummy – especially the banana bread pudding and vanilla sauce!!! Our server was also amazing. She is the one who recommend my favorite of the day and even went and got me the vanilla sauce when she saw I did not grab some myself.

We had some wonderful meet & greets with Mickey, Daisy and Goofy. We were tucked away in a corner and it made taking photos very easy and I felt like there was a ton of space in the place. Going to and from the buffet was simple and the way you just come and go to the food instead of a line was really nice as well.

It was time to explore and by that I mean it was time for one of us to become a Wilderness Explorer. This was something my daughter had been looking forward to on this trip and we knew we wanted to get started right away so we could earn as many badges in the book as possible.

Troop leader Kimmy got us started and we were off and running to gather badges along the trail before it was time for our first ride on Kilimanjaro Safaris. This was top of our list for FastPass in Animal Kingdom because we had never done it and it totally did not disappoint.

I could not believe how close some of the animals were to the jeep and how free they roamed. It was very cool to sit back and listen as we drove around and got some great views of animals.

After finishing the Safari and getting all the badges in that area we headed over to Dinoland USA. We had booked Primeval Whirl as a FastPass just to round out our 3 at AK but we also wanted to explore the area a little bit – especially important on our list was a visit with Sue the Dinosaur. The real Sue makes her home in Chicago and we really wanted to see the replica at Disney.

I enjoyed Dinoland – Sophie and Erik went on Triceratops Spin (how many Dumbo type rides can one person go one right?) and we explored the Boneyard to earn more Wilderness Explore Badges. I also really liked Primeval Whirl – it is a fun ride, working its way down as you spin all over.

For our next adventure in Animal Kingdom we headed over to where Russell and Dig do their meet and greet. Russell was “out exploring” for the day but we were happy to meet Dug. There was basically no line ahead of us. I think there were 2 groups of older teens and adults all talking about if they should do it or not….do what? Well what my daughter stepped up and did right away after getting a hug first.

She shouted, “Squirrel” and Dug immediately turned to look. It was so fun and was proud of her for speaking up to see what would happen.

With that we were off to visit Camp Minnie & Mickey (this was right before it closed for construction on Avatar land)

What a great Christmas! Looks very magical! Love the family pic in front of the tree very pretty!

Your AK day looks like it is off to a great start! Someday, I want to do the Russel and Dug meet! They look like such fun!

Love both your pics in front of the Christmas tree. I still am amazed on how big it is.
Glad you gave AK more time. Both my trips I have given in little time. Each trip it gets a little more. I think with Chris, my hubby, we will slow down and really enjoy it. He is getting more into wildlife at home. I sometimes call him Snow White. He has started talking to the animals and thinking they are coming closer to him. Hmmm, maybe I am sharing to much. :rotfl2: And to think everyone thinks I am the crazy one.

What a great Christmas! Looks very magical! Love the family pic in front of the tree very pretty!

Your AK day looks like it is off to a great start! Someday, I want to do the Russel and Dug meet! They look like such fun!

Dug was a super fun meet (Russell was missed but the "squirrel" moment alone was worth it.

Love both your pics in front of the Christmas tree. I still am amazed on how big it is.
Glad you gave AK more time. Both my trips I have given in little time. Each trip it gets a little more. I think with Chris, my hubby, we will slow down and really enjoy it. He is getting more into wildlife at home. I sometimes call him Snow White. He has started talking to the animals and thinking they are coming closer to him. Hmmm, maybe I am sharing to much. :rotfl2: And to think everyone thinks I am the crazy one.

AK is just so fun. Glad we had the day to really enjoy it. No worries on the crazy thing...my students, my husband and daughter all agree I am totally crazy most of the time. Makes life more fun if you ask me.:joker:

Another IL person tuning in! We will be going over the same time period this year. The one thing I cannot wait for is the Candlelight Processional. Were you up early on the day the came out to get your dining package? We will be going Christmas Eve as well.

I think everything I tried was yummy – especially the banana bread pudding and vanilla sauce!!! Our server was also amazing. She is the one who recommend my favorite of the day and even went and got me the vanilla sauce when she saw I did not grab some myself.

I loved Tusker House breakfast! That's twice in a row I've typed that on a trip report this morning :goodvibes But man! I did not see banana bread pudding when I was there. That sounds soooo good!! Guess I'll just have to go back! (I've been saying that a lot, too ;))

Super cute pic of Sophie and Dug!!! And I love love love that she yelled squirrel!!! Go Sophie!!!

Another IL person tuning in! We will be going over the same time period this year. The one thing I cannot wait for is the Candlelight Processional. Were you up early on the day the came out to get your dining package? We will be going Christmas Eve as well.

WE were up early to make the CP reservation because we did not want to miss out and it was Christmas Eve. You have to call in for that one as it is not usually online.

In Love With Animal Kingdom (Part 2)

Our love of Animal Kingdom continued to grow as we walked towards Camp Mickey and Minnie. We collected a few more Wilderness Explore Badges and enjoyed the weather as we made our way to the back area. There were tons of people lined up to see Lion King so the lines for the different character trails were all short.

We started with King Louie. What a hoot he was. Not sure how it came up, but he ended up knighting my hubby – which we all got a kick out of.

We elected to skip Donald and Daisy as we had just seen them for breakfast, but we had enjoyed Chip & Dale so much at our Christmas Eve Dinner that we decided we needed to see them once more. They did once again were a totally cute meet up and they both looked at our pins and I think I flirted with Dale a little bit!!

It was time for a snack and wouldn’t you know it the funnel cake stand was right there!! Score!!

While Sophie ate and tried to get the powder sugar off her nose I started taking pictures of all the holiday trees that were decorated for different characters

My favorite one was the Minnie Mouse tree, but it was fun walking the area and figuring out which tree belong to which character. I took a ton of photos for a future scrapbook layout.

We decided our next stop would be to see Mickey and Minnie in their holiday gear. We headed towards the Adventure Outpost – all the way on the other side of the park really. We collected a few more Wilderness Explorer Badges along the way – including one from a real life Entomologist (Sophie once said this was a possible career for her so it was a big deal).

She had all sorts of bugs to look at and talk about. I stepped back a little for this one (Thank you camera zoom)

Our walk was completed and we waited a short time for Mickey and Minnie. We ended up waiting just a little longer then we could have because there was one upset kid right behind us, screaming his head off – it was awful. Not sure if he really wanted to see Mickey or just totally tired out but we let them go ahead of us so we could have a quite visit with them already out the door.

One of our goals this trip was to capture Mickey in as many costumes as possible. After this fun meet-up we were up to 8 already (Chef Mickey, Let’s Celebrate Parade, Sparkle Tux in stage show, Holiday Parade at MK, Magician Mickey who talked, Farmer Mickey, Safari Mickey and Winter Sweater Mickey) … how many more ways would be see him this trip?

It was getting closer to the afternoon parade at AK – For the holidays this is Mickey’s Jingle Jungle Parade and we had heard it was wonderful. We headed towards Asia to get a spot to view it. We wanted to be close because right after the parade we had a FastPass for Expedition Everest.

This parade was wonderful. What a great chance to see some characters you might normally not see – Turk, Timon, The gang form Song of the South and more, and of course there is Mickey is his parade safari outfit, raising out total to 9 (he really is into the costume changes)

Plus the fun animal floats in this parade are just spectacular. The colors and the way the CM move them around just really cool to watch.

As the end of the parade passed by were we able to easily get to Expedition Everest. The standby line had no one in it because the parade had just ended and many people want to see that. Even still we got in the Fastpass line and headed in.

Sophie was a little nervous about this one and I am not sure if she opened her eyes very much once we headed into the mountain. I got her to look at the view as we climbed but that is about it. Still she told us she loved it.
The boy my husband sat by had ridden the ride about 5 times in a row as a single rider and had almost no voice, but knew right where the camera was for photos…too funny)

As we made our way back to the main entrance we decided we really loved Animal Kingdom and would tell people they needed to go and really explore it fully.

From breakfast at Tusker House to the rides and shows (which we need to go back to see because we have not) and fun meet and greets we really liked the park. We stopped for some entrance photo fun before heading back to the hotel to get ready for dinner.

I am really enjoying your TR. What a Holiday to remember! BTW, That picture of your daughter with powdered sugar on her nose is precious!

Loving your report so far. We totally agree with Animal Kingdom. There are so many hidden gems in the park...we really love spending time there as well. Can't wait for more!

I love Animal Kingdom, too. I don't understand when people say there's nothing to do. Ahh well.

So, do you have to refer to your hubby as Sir Husband now? That's too cute.

I am in love with those trees, and I think taking pictures of Mickey in all different costumes is a really fun idea!!

Love the magic shot!

Your AK day looks like you all had a lot of fun. I agree, most people (I am included) don't spend enough time. I plan to spend a full day there next visit. Love the idea of finding Mickey in different outfits. I might be stealing that idea. And nine is awesome, can't wait to see how many you end up with.

Loving your trip report! Especially the matching PJ's! That alone has inspired me to learn how to sew. Did your mom use a Cricut to make the Mickey Heads?

So my family and I are planning on going to WDW this year for Xmas Week also!

Based on your trip - would you go again for Xmas or was it a one time only thing?

Also were the crowds manageable? That is the thing I'm afraid of the most - we usually go during slow times but now we can only go when most kids are off school. We are planning on doing RD for most of the days to beat the crowds but would love to hear any feedback!

Thanks!!

I am really enjoying your TR. What a Holiday to remember! BTW, That picture of your daughter with powdered sugar on her nose is precious!

That photo is one of my favorites from the trip

Loving your report so far. We totally agree with Animal Kingdom. There are so many hidden gems in the park...we really love spending time there as well. Can't wait for more!

Thanks - I find my hubby telling everyone to enjoy Ak more now.

I love Animal Kingdom, too. I don't understand when people say there's nothing to do. Ahh well.

So, do you have to refer to your hubby as Sir Husband now? That's too cute.

I am in love with those trees, and I think taking pictures of Mickey in all different costumes is a really fun idea!!

Love the magic shot!

I better not tell him that Sir Husband thing...he might enforce it.

Your AK day looks like you all had a lot of fun. I agree, most people (I am included) don't spend enough time. I plan to spend a full day there next visit. Love the idea of finding Mickey in different outfits. I might be stealing that idea. And nine is awesome, can't wait to see how many you end up with.

Nine and counting...still not 100 percent sure how many there were...

Loving your trip report! Especially the matching PJ's! That alone has inspired me to learn how to sew. Did your mom use a Cricut to make the Mickey Heads?

So my family and I are planning on going to WDW this year for Xmas Week also!

Based on your trip - would you go again for Xmas or was it a one time only thing?

Also were the crowds manageable? That is the thing I'm afraid of the most - we usually go during slow times but now we can only go when most kids are off school. We are planning on doing RD for most of the days to beat the crowds but would love to hear any feedback!

Thanks!!

We would go for the holiday again and again as we had such an amazing time - wish we could have stayed longer. We got up early to enjoy the empty parks and left when we felt to crowded (or used FastPass to fill in the middle times)...We got a ton of extra rides in by being at rope drop

And yes I cut the Mickey head pattern using my Cricut and my Mom free hand cut them on fabric for me.

We interrupt this trip report for a exciting announcement...

WE HAVE A NEW TICKER!!!

We are heading down to Florida for a Christening and on the way stopping in for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party!!! So excited. Gong to start a pre-trip report tomorrow and add on a new chapter of this trip report as well!!!!

Hugs & Kisses From Around the World
After our wonderful day at Animal Kingdom (so not sure I mentioned the weather was amazing all day) we went back to the hotel to change for dinner at Epcot. We were all a little tired but Erik and myself were looking forward to dinner at Le Cellier in the Canada Pavilion.

Our course when we arrived we needed to get the night time shots with Spaceship Earth – love how it is lit up in the evenings.
Dinner was wonderful and very very filling. I was totally stuffed.

Who wouldn’t be after Seared scallops, “Le Cellier” Mushroom Filet Mignon, and of course Maple Crème Brûlée – like I said 100% satisfied and 100% full. Here are some food photos, including the mac and cheese my daughter got (one of her favorite she had during our visit)

Epcot was open late and even thought we were super tired before dinner, we got a second wind after. We did not feel up to riding anything being so full so we decided we would walk around the World Showcase while waiting for IllumiNations. We walked and visited stores all along the way. (Side note: My niece was born about 4 minutes before William and Kate had Prince George so we bought a super cute Mickey baby shirt commemorating that day for her!! She wore it during her trip to Disney this summer.)

I have seen a fun scrapbook layout of people who had kissed around the world and we all thought that would be fun for us to try as well. It was dark and many of the Photopass People were closed for the night, but we did HUG & KISS around the world.

When we got to Mexico we were exhausted. We decided we did not need to see IllumiNations and were just too tired to stay any longer. We headed home as it started and enjoyed the fireworks behind us as we made our way to the bus and headed home for the evening.

Wow this trip looks amazing! I always thought Disney over Christmas would be to busy but you guys seemed to handle the crowds awesome.

Your little girl is so cute, I am happy to read that she was able to have a good time and express herself when she needed to.

You really make a trip to Disney during Christmas look appealing! :goodvibes

Wow this trip looks amazing! I always thought Disney over Christmas would be to busy but you guys seemed to handle the crowds awesome.

Your little girl is so cute, I am happy to read that she was able to have a good time and express herself when she needed to.

You really make a trip to Disney during Christmas look appealing! :goodvibes

I was so worried about the crowds BUT it was not that bad. The worst day was Christmas but we were up and at the park for rope drop and ready to go by the time the crowds really filled in. I would go again at Christmas in a heart beat and we are thinking about that in a year or two. Thanks for visiting both my current threads!!

I was so worried about the crowds BUT it was not that bad. The worst day was Christmas but we were up and at the park for rope drop and ready to go by the time the crowds really filled in. I would go again at Christmas in a heart beat and we are thinking about that in a year or two. Thanks for visiting both my current threads!!

We went last Christmas 2013 too. It wasn't our first Disney trip, but it was our first visit at Christmas. I was worried about the crowds and tried to manage everyone's expectations. It was busier than we were used to, but with pre-trip planning and a commitment to early rising and late nights we had a great time and got to see and experience everything on our lists. I found the 27th through New Years to be worst that the days immediate before Christmas, as far as the crowds went.

Hollywood Studios – Character Extravaganza
We finally slept in. After all the excitement and great food form the first part of our trip we allowed ourselves to take out time on Friday morning.

Of course we had a 9AM Fastpass for Toy Story Mania so when we arrived at the park that is where we headed. On our first visit we did not do many rides at Hollywood Studios so today we were looking forward to trying out so many new adventures.

Toy Story Mania did not disappoint at all. I rode with my daughter and my hubby was behind us and we all commented on the laughter and excitement we could hear form the other side as we rode. I love the line for this ride – even the FP line is fun because of all the toys.

We had lunch plans at Hollywood and Vine at 11 so with the time free we headed over to meet Sofia the First. My daughter has so enjoyed watching her show and was looking forward to getting a chance to meet up with her. As we headed that way we stepped into the One Man’s Dream exhibit. We were given a card with some questions on it and had all 3 of them answered before stepping in, but we walked around, filled out the card and enjoyed. We even got Honorary Main Street Citizen Buttons for filing in the card (several people asked us about these the rest of our trip – check out the exhibit to earn yours)

The line for Sofia was not too long at all when we made it that way and right after we got in Sofia had a quick break. When she returned it moved quickly. So many of the little ones were wearing Sofia dresses and it was super sweet.

We decided that we would try and sneak in Wreck It Ralph and Venelope before lunch as well and figure out who else was meeting up in the Animation Courtyard area.

My husband loved the line for Ralph – the signs are super fun as was this film – for video game lovers there are so many wonderful references to old and new games. The meet and greet was fun - they give you a cute card with the signatures on it and take fun photos.

We figured out Sorcerer Mickey, Minnie, and some Incredibles characters were also meeting in the building and knew we would be heading back here before we left for the day – Sorcerer Mickey one of the ones we all wanted!! But now it was time for lunch.

We went back and forth on this meal. I was sad to learn that we would miss out on addition of Doc McStuffins and Sofia the First at H&V, but one character I felt we had to meet was Handy Manny! In the need I think we took this out and put it back just for him and Jake. This meal is just right for the Disney Junior crowd. – They have two “host” who sing and dance and get the kids at the tables up and moving as soon as possible and the characters moved around quickly to each table.

After the first little show Manny was at our table and I was 100% thrilled. Disney entered my daughter’s life via Handy Manny. One of the first times I turned the TV on for her I came across this show and the rest is history. She had many Manny toys and books and all the videos. She knew all the words to every song and finally getting this meet & greet (even with him long off TV for her) was perfect and she loved it as you can see.

The other characters were a lot of fun and the one hostess was super sweet, especially on OSO, who came around twice to our table. I even liked most of the food. I hear a lot of people say it is not great, but there were a lot of choices and different choices than other places with a buffet. I liked the seafood mac & cheese the best and the dessert selection was also a lot of fun (Can you say chocolate fountain?)

Jake was especially fun for Sophie. She had traded for a pin of him the day before when we were in the Boneyard at Animal Kingdom and she was super excited to show it to him at lunch that day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter