A really good disney documentary...anyone, anyone?

I know it wouldn't be considered a documentary, but after I bought my daughter Frozen on Bluray, I was really looking forward to seeing the "Making of Frozen" special feature, and after the entertaining musical number put on by the cast and crew, I was expecting the 'Making of' to immediately follow, and then..... Nothing. It was just the musical number. Did anyone else get fooled by this???

Hi MrandMrsJoeFriday! I just came across a few videos on youtube, and I immediately thought of you. These come from a Disney Channel series from 1985 called Disney Family Album. Each one is a short documentary about important/interesting people in Disney history. :teacher: (Make sure you pay attention to the credits for this series. You'll see some very early work by an extremely well known person.)

Now the youtube user only has 8 of these posted to his account, but the ones I've watched are excellent. I've been trying to find more of them on youtube without any luck. Here's a link to Disney Family Album # 4--Jimmy MacDonald, which is the first of the video series posted by this youtube user. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SejPFUnyKtc&list=PL36PYAEkLqJN_O8taZHBzlyFuagCKdl6A

Happy viewing! :cloud9:

Hahaha that's an awesome find, thank you for adding it to the thread. I will be sure to check out those videos when I get home. The YouTube link won't allow the videos to be watched on mobile devices for some reason.

There's a documentary called 'The Sweatbox' that's about the making of 'Emperors New Groove' that is so utterly real and fascinating, Disney refused to release it. If you get a chance to see it, I recommend it.

There's also a wonderful fan documentary called 'Secret Tour of Disneyland' that's available on DVD from amazon. A girl and her father made it and I think it's great for an amateur doc. I watch it before I leave for any Disney trip.

Wow I just read your post and already can't wait to see those docs. I just wrote down the names and I'm gonna try to track them down. Where do you think I can find "The sweat box"?

I'd suggest you google for more info on The Sweatbox. I don't really want to post anything that could make Mickey mad at the dis ;)

The only thing I could find was a short 5 or 6 min clip on YouTube. I can't find it anywhere else. Any help you can offer would be much appreciated

Not sure if this has been said or not but Modern Marvels did a 2 hr show on Disney and it was fantastic ! The show covers every park and goes into good detail how Disney World started. I didn't know too much about Disney until I saw this show and I got hooked fast !
My fiance and I watch it before every trip and still enjoy watching it every time

They may not be truly "documentaries". but Martin's Vids has some in-depth videos with great information for many Disney parks and attractions.

I can't post links yet (odd rule), but if go to www (dot) martinsvids (dot) net, you'll find them all in HD.

His "ultimate tributes" are almost mini-documentaries for individual attractions. For example, his Snow White's Scary Adventures video includes ride-throughs and background/information sections. Some, like Horizons, Test Track, etc. are even more detailed.

I heard last week that a new 4 hour doc on Walt Disney will be coming to tv in 2015. Does anyone have any info on this?

I heard last week that a new 4 hour doc on Walt Disney will be coming to tv in 2015. Does anyone have any info on this?

Yes, at least what I heard about is a new episode of American Experience on PBS. Here's a link to the press release. http://www.pbs.org/about/news/archive/2014/american-experience-disney/

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this news. I tend to love the American Experience program, but wonder what I will think of it since I already know a lot about Walt Disney. (You know the old saying, everybody trusts the newspaper until it reports on something they actually know about.) Calling Walt Disney a "polarizing" figure in the press release doesn't seem to be a good start. From everything I've learned about the man, he was human and no saint. However the favorite sins that people like to site about him seem to have little to no basis in reality. (I'm talking to you, Meryl Streep :teacher:) Hopefully it will be honest, accurate, and fair. We'll see...

A few weekends ago, my dh and I took the kids to Marceline, MO. We had a lot of fun--it was our second trek out there. While we were there, we picked up a copy of the Marceline documentary. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2034734/ We really enjoyed this, but I know it may not interest all Disney fans. I don't know if this is readily available, but you could probably call the Walt Disney Hometown Museum directly to see about getting a copy.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention it because the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco is hosting a viewing of this documentary in about a month. http://www.waltdisney.org/node/1373/0 The filmmakers and Kaye Malins, who is featured in the documentary, will be there. Kaye lives in the Disney family's old house in Marceline and put together and runs the Walt Disney Hometown Museum there. If anyone has the chance to go to San Francisco to see this, you really should. Kaye is a remarkable lady with lots of great stories.

And of course, even better, Marceline, MO, is a great stop for Disney fans. Make sure to stop and talk with Kaye and her mother, Inez, if you get the chance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter