A salute to all stay-at-home parents!

2Tiggies

Near to Tigger's House
I have known this for years, but I am well aware that parents who stay at home to care for the kids get more than their fair share of undue criticism. Yep, I remember the tiny baby days after my DD was born when people would ask how I was enjoying my "vacation" or what I did to pass the time, sitting around the house all day! :mad:

I have one child who is now 8 years old. I work full time. Last week I had the week off. I put in for one of my weeks leave from work as I had no childcare for last week with my parents being away. (Bless them :hug:).

I was absolutely exhausted by last night and feel more relaxed after my first day back at work. I ran around from one activity to the next, had to make 3 meals a day, the house continuously got messy during the day, although I was always cleaning and I struggled to get the food shopping done, which I usually just do in a lunch hour and grab the chilled things on the way back from work in the evening.

For the sake of clarity, I love being a parent (I'm a single mom) and I can't say my daughter gives me any trouble. But I thought it would be a well deserved pat on the back for all of you who do this every day, all day and nobody seems to notice. Of course the children do, but here's some recognition from a total stranger. I take my hat off to you all. :thumbsup2

Aw, so sweet! :)

As for kids recognizing it...DS keeps asking me to go to work so that he can have his dad at home with him! :rotfl:

My mom was a working, single mom for some of the hardest years to do that...when I was 4 to around 10...and I still don't know how she did it (she still *had to* work after she remarried). Especially since she had my younger brother, too. So I definitely feel for you; it's gotta be tough! (then again, I never much liked working outside the home...the coworkers I had were more babyish than DS ever was, LOL)

I was actually pondering this over the last week. It occurred to me how many times people marvel at me working and raising a child. Yet somehow I see it as easier. I think it may be partly that you get into a routine with whatever you are doing and what is familiar is easier. When I take my time off I take the most part of my annual holiday allowance for a Disney trip :) which is at least 2 weeks and the other over Christmas when there is so much going on anyway and we are out of the house a lot. It was weird to be at home for a whole week plus the weekends on either side.

I just posted this because it occurred to me that I get plenty credit for what I do. Those of you who dedicate your days to caring for your kids have a really hard job and I do think that people notice less. :goodvibes

Thank you...this is coming from a mom of 3 kids who is babysittiing 4 others for the summer. It's crazy!

Thank you! There are so many days I feel totally unappreciated, because according to some people I know, I "don't work". I feel exhausted at the end of the day, so hats off to those of you who work outside the home and still do all the around-the-house stuff, too. I don't know how you do it! :goodvibes

I am a new stay at home mom. I just quit my job at the end of March to stay home with my DS (7) and my DD (3). I feel blessed to be able to be with them all day, but I will admit, I was never this exhausted after coming home from my HR job.

I have great respect for stay at home moms. It is the hardest, but most rewarding job!

Aw thanks for posting that!! You really made my day! I've been a SAHM for 3 years now, but DH's been deployed for almost 4 months now, and man... being the only parent and with the twins 24/7 is much tougher than I ever imagined it. So thanks again! :flower3:

:love: Thanks I really needed to hear something like this today. I have been a SAHM since right before our DD was born. DH cot commissioned in the Army and with his schedule it was just easier for me to stay home with the kids. At times I swear my family actually believes that I do absolutely nothing at home because they are constantly calling me and asking me to research stuff for them or asking me to book their travel arrangements. It is crazy here at times and I would love to go back to work but not sure how to swing that right now with all the stuff the kids have going on. DH is no longer in the Army but his work schedule can change at the drop of a hat.

Thank you. Unfortunetly people still ask when I am going back to work. But DS is 23 and is considered a low functioning adult. DD is 15 and is mildly to moderate MR with some global definciencies. So staying at home and coordinating them is my work. But thats life. My middle child, the so called normal one, is the one who gives my all the gray hair though. He is 21 now. When he was 17 he asked once why I alway had to make a full meal. Why couldn't we just have a frozen pizza or whatsever in the pantry once in a while like some of his friends did. He had a friend with him at the time. We were at the table eating. The friend started coughing and milk was going everywhere. The friend looked straight at him told him he was wacked and said "dude, you don't know how good you have it". This has been the family joke for a few years now. At least I know even if my own don't alway's appreciate me others do.

Can Stay at Home Dads get a "Hey Hey!"

While i DO work, it is from home, and once my DD (now 10 ) was a year old and her mom had to go back to work, I stayed home with the kids. They went to part time daycare, and had play dates, but i was Mrs Mom! Now that they are older and in school full time (and me and their mom are no longer together) I am still the one who takes them to school, makes the lunches takes them to the doctors and dentist and ortho, visits the school for presentations and plays and parent/teacher interviews
It's a great feeling! Surely i am not the only one!

Thank you OP. You will never know how much I needed to see this post today.

Thanks a bunch!!! :grouphug:

My DH has had the opportunity to see that it is not so easy. Now everyday he asks "How do you do it? and do they do this all day? and I couldn't do this everyday, they would be locked in their rooms all the time."

Many times I think about going back to work outside of the home, but on a day like today (my little one is sick and been crying ALL day) makes me glad that I have chosen to be home.

That is such a wonderful thing to say...it made my day. :love: I've been a SAHM for 4 yrs to DS(9) and DD(6). Some days I wish I were back at work, but I cherish the time I have with them. Whether you're a SAHM or work out of the home, being a parent is awesome (& tiring). :grouphug:

Thanks!-it is hard sometimes when you get the what do you do all day comments but I know what I do all day and I know how tired I am by 9pm! I am lucky that my husband does appreciate what staying at home really is-almost every weekend he says he doesn't know how I do it by mid Sunday he is done.I have a 9 yr old dd and a 7 month old ds.We made the decision before we had kids I would stay home with them and it was what we both wanted.My dh works alot so we can have me home and I feel for him too.My best friend(who I met at work) also has 2 kids and works full time-she always says she would go crazy being home all day-her husband actually works from home and cares for the kids-I just brought dd there today for a play date with her husband watching the kids.I think that we should all do what we feel is best for our kids-work if we want,stay home if we want(or can).

OP thanks. And my hat's off to you. Single parents have a tough job, often with no one to pick up the slack. :goodvibes So I admire the job you do!

Can Stay at Home Dads get a "Hey Hey!"

Read the post again! She used "parents". :)

When he was 17 he asked once why I alway had to make a full meal. ... The friend started coughing and milk was going everywhere. The friend looked straight at him told him he was wacked and said "dude, you don't know how good you have it".

:)

And now I feel guilty b/c it's hard to make a full meal when you're vegetarian. Everything is just sort of a side dish! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter