A salute to all stay-at-home parents!

Aww, how nice.

I've done both. Stay at home Mom when the oldest 3 were young. I worked pt outside the home nights & weekend. When people found out I had 3 young ones at home & was working they would ask how I did it. I explained very simply....work was a vacation. :) Honestly though, I wouldn't change a thing. The pay stinks, but the benefits can't be matched!!!

Then when youngest was 3 I went to work outside the home- full time & a partime -while dh was the stay at home parent. That's no picnic either. I agree with whatever comedian it is that says, we should have children when we are old enough to retire. We have more knowledge as to what's important in life (usually), and don't have to work. Of course speaking personally, my energy level is much lower now, at...ah.... middle age.

What a kind thing to say. Thank you very much! I quit my job after our son was born so I could stay home with him. While this is the most challenging job I've ever had, it is also the very best and I wouldn't change a thing.

I hope someone says or does something kind for you today so you will know how you made me feel. :flower3:

I hope someone says or does something kind for you today so you will know how you made me feel. :flower3:

That is so nice of you :goodvibes That was kind of my whole point though. Since I am out of the house, I do get recognition. Okay maybe not on the parenting and house stuff, but it does give that needed occasional boost. :) I just think it is awesome, those of you who dedicate yourselves 24/7 to your family. So I figured while you are waiting for the kids to get old enough to appreciate all the work involved, I would let you know that you have an admirer! ;)

Thanks for that! I am a stay-at-home mom of 5 children under 11 (2 of which are twin 2yr olds). I think all of us moms (working or stay-at-home) ROCK!

Bumbershoot: I didn't mean to make you feel guilty. We are not vegetarians but sometimes I do make a vegetarian meal. If you pm me I have a great recipe for a ministrone and one for veggie enchiladas that my kids adore. I am more then willing to share.

2Tiggies, Thanks for the up lift. :goodvibesWe all need that some times. I have been in both worlds. When I was 23 my husband died suddenly, leaving me with a 6 month old. I had his health insurance for 3 years for us. Then I had to go back to work so I could afford health insurance for the 2 of us. I worked full time for 7 years before getting married to a wonderful man who took in a ready made family.:lovestruc I worked another year a half full time while being a new wife and a mother. Then I got pregnant with my 2nd son and I got to stay home. When I was working with my 1st son he wanted me to stay home so he didn't have to go to after school care. My second son wanted me to go to work so he could go to after school care :confused3. When I started staying home my oldest said that he love Mom picking he up early and getting to go home and have play time before getting ready for bed. He is now 23 and a State Trooper and a fine young man. ( I'm not proud at all ;)) My youngest is about to be in the 6th grade. ( has been the talented and gifted program in public school) He has to go to a private school this year because his school doesn't go past the 5th grade and the next school that he would go to is in a drug infested area. I have a beauty salon across the street from my house and I work when I can. I have enjoyed being able to stay home and watch my boys grow up. I know how hard it is to work and have a sick child and not be able to be with him. Thank God every day for wonderful in-laws who could help out when I needed help. Sorry so long. Thanks again to you and I know how hard it is for you at times.

I figure I won't get any thank you's or recognition until my kids have their own kids, lol. That's when I, of course, realized just how difficult it is to not only be a parent, but be a stay at home parent. Not that I do it for the recognition, but we all know a hug or heart-felt appreciation is a real boost!
And for the record, it takes just as much work to be a working parent - so kudos to all of you, too! They make a lot of sacrifices, too, to provide for the family - and I can say I'm not cut out to be a working parent. Different strokes for different folks. ;) Either way, it's always nice to get a pat on the back.

Can a work from home mom say "Thank You" too.
I run a home day care. Anywhere 2-12 children on any given day. I love it. But I've been asked what my favorite soap opera is by family??? I've also heard the comment "oh, it's like a real job?"
Seriously! Apparently it takes no work to "stay home" and "watch kids." So Thank You, Thank You, Thank You... :dance3: Just made my day as I'm enjoying MY quiet time (YEAH, NAPTIME!).
And thank you to the parents who work outside the home only to run home every day and try to keep up with all those requirements after a full day on the job. Certainly not easy either. :worship:

Thanks for that! I am a stay-at-home mom of 5 children under 11 (2 of which are twin 2yr olds). I think all of us moms (working or stay-at-home) ROCK!

I am a new stay at home mom. I just quit my job at the end of March to stay home with my DS (7) and my DD (3). I feel blessed to be able to be with them all day, but I will admit, I was never this exhausted after coming home from my HR job.

I have great respect for stay at home moms. It is the hardest, but most rewarding job!

Here...here!!!

Although I am not a SAHM - I wish I was again. I had the privilege of being a SAHM mom when I was laid off and loved every minute of it. So sad when I found a job. Loved spending the time with my kids and not having to worry about taking them here or there or what to do when they got sick etc. I did get the comments, "Oh....rough life...beach again?" I very rarely got a moment of "peace" though. I found I was always on the go. Before I SAH I never really knew what went on. Now I know it is not as easy as some people make it seem (and that's a compliment).

Now, I don't get home until 6pm and have to cook, clean, baths and everything else. Being a parent is tough whether you SAH or work. I think both are underrated.

Bottom line, it is easy to judge others when we haven't lived in their shoes. How nice to start this nice thread. Kudos to all the SAH and working parents out there.

What an awesome and inspiring thread!!! I just want to add to the "salute" :goodvibes

I work 4 ten hour days and I'm off on Fridays, so I call that my "stay at home mom day" but it is tiny in comparison to those of you who stay at home full-time. It does however give me an idea of how hard you work when you stay at home. My DH often teases me when he gets home on Fridays and asks what I did all day b/c the house isn't spotless! And I only have one - granted she is 20 mths and majorly in toddler mode!

So hugs to everyone who is working hard to raise children!

thanks so much for the pat on the back. I am a SAHM to my own 3 and I do childcare for 2 precious little girls (sisters age 4 and 3, 3yr old is s special needs mild autism sweetie pie).

Thank you! There are so many days I feel totally unappreciated, because according to some people I know, I "don't work". I feel exhausted at the end of the day, so hats off to those of you who work outside the home and still do all the around-the-house stuff, too. I don't know how you do it! :goodvibes

THIS!

For me, I give working moms props...I think it's very hard to juggle working and the family/home. I tried, I was so stressed out.

THIS!

For me, I give working moms props...I think it's very hard to juggle working and the family/home. I tried, I was so stressed out.

I'm so lame...this brought tears to my eyes. I needed this. Had DD tell me I broke her heart because I couldn't get her to a play date because I was working. :guilty: Soemtimes I feel I just can't win and I can't give either "job" a full 100%.

Read the post again! She used "parents". :)

:)

And now I feel guilty b/c it's hard to make a full meal when you're vegetarian. Everything is just sort of a side dish! :goodvibes

Oh i know ! But it seems i am the lone SAHD :confused3 .. It's great being able to watch the kids grow up and be part of their everything...

I've done both and I think being a working mom is WAY harder. You have to work and then do everything the stay at mom does in a fraction of the time.

I've been a working mom and a stay at home mom and I think being a stay at home mom is a million times easier and honestly not exhausting or hard at all. :confused3

Thanks from a SAHM of four with no family around and a hubby that travels some! It gets tough!

Oh i know ! But it seems i am the lone SAHD :confused3 .. It's great being able to watch the kids grow up and be part of their everything...

My DH is a SAHD so you are not the only one. When our DD18 months was born, he quit his job to stay home and I swear that man is a saint. He takes great care of our two kiddos, does all the cleaning, cooking, grocery shopping...everything! I am so appreciative of everything he does and try to let him know that as much as I can. He actually is a member of a SAHD group and they meet several times a month for playgroups and such...that's been great. Anyway, thanks to all you SAHMs and SAHDs...you definitely have the more difficult job. :goodvibes

I've done both and I think being a working mom is WAY harder. You have to work and then do everything the stay at mom does in a fraction of the time.

I've been a working mom and a stay at home mom and I think being a stay at home mom is a million times easier and honestly not exhausting or hard at all. :confused3

My DH is a SAHD so you are not the only one. When our DD18 months was born, he quit his job to stay home and I swear that man is a saint. He takes great care of our two kiddos, does all the cleaning, cooking, grocery shopping...everything! I am so appreciative of everything he does and try to let him know that as much as I can. He actually is a member of a SAHD group and they meet several times a month for playgroups and such...that's been great. Anyway, thanks to all you SAHMs and SAHDs...you definitely have the more difficult job. :goodvibes

I think both can be difficult. It depends on the person. It's not a contest as to who has the most diffcult job. They are both difficult and equally as important. Cheers to all the working parents as well as those that stay at home.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter