A sign for the table!!

Just take turns going up for more food. It's unlikely you will all be ready for seconds at the same time anyway.

We had a sign over our food that said be right back getting brownies at 1900 park fare last year and the couple next to us stopped the waitress from clearing away our food.

I guess my thing to point out here was that they weren't necessarily clearing the table for someone else to sit there, but might have just thought you were done with THAT food, since you were getting more food. So that's easily remedied. I don't go to get anything more until I'm done with my current food.

We have never had a problem either, but we have always left either autograph books at our table or sweatshirts/hoodies if it was chilly when we went back for seconds, or dessert.

I would never leave my napkin on the seat.:confused:

Like someone else said, leave some things at the table. A sweatshirt, a bib, a toy, etc.

Just curious why you wouldn't put your napkin on the seat? It is standard etiquette protocol. I understand that many people aren't concerned with that, and that's completely fine. But, I wonder why you'd be so opposed.

Since it's 4 of you - I doubt there will be any times during the meal (except right at the beginning when the waiter/tress KNOWS you're still there) - when you're all up at the buffet at the same time. If you are - it will likely only be for a minute or two before someone heads back to the table.

If you're worried just leave the 9 year old there for an extra minute or two until you've returned from the buffet.

I would never leave my napkin on the seat.:confused:

Like someone else said, leave some things at the table. A sweatshirt, a bib, a toy, etc.

It's actually considered bad manners to leave your dirty napkin on the table for other to see (circa Emily Post).

Just curious why you wouldn't put your napkin on the seat? It is standard etiquette protocol. I understand that many people aren't concerned with that, and that's completely fine. But, I wonder why you'd be so opposed.

I've just never seen it done. I'm kind of shocked that people would do that actually. I don't eat at many fancy restaurants and it never occurred to me protocol involved putting your napkin where you sit if you got up from the table. I've bused tables at several formal events this past year (as a volunteer fund-raiser) and haven't found any napkins on chairs if people are out of their seats.

My napkin goes in my lap, but if I have to get up from the table (for any reason) it gets put as neatly as possible beside my plate. I have never heard of leaving it on your chair. It seems like a lot of napkins would end up on the floor that way. I also think of a napkin as something that should remain pretty sanitary until it goes into the laundry. Somehow leaving it on my seat doesn't seem proper.

My kids are young so I wouldn't want them going up by them self I would want to help them.

I'd go with the 5 year old and have the 7 & 9 year old go together. On our trip my kids were 8 & turned 7 on the trip. They both always went up alone and served themselves at the buffets. Your 5 year old would still need some help so she didn't spill drop anything :thumbsup2

I was always taught a napkin on the plate along with all your silverware is that you are done, but beside the plate if you are not when you get up from the table?

Anyway, we have never had a problem with them clearing the whole table when we get up, however, they will often clear the plates that they think we are done with. I would really suggest that you make sure you are done with your current plate before getting up for more. With the characters coming through, there is usually lots to keep the kids occupied until you are ready to go. :)

I've just never seen it done. I'm kind of shocked that people would do that actually. I don't eat at many fancy restaurants and it never occurred to me protocol involved putting your napkin where you sit if you got up from the table. I've bused tables at several formal events this past year (as a volunteer fund-raiser) and haven't found any napkins on chairs if people are out of their seats.

My napkin goes in my lap, but if I have to get up from the table (for any reason) it gets put as neatly as possible beside my plate. I have never heard of leaving it on your chair. It seems like a lot of napkins would end up on the floor that way. I also think of a napkin as something that should remain pretty sanitary until it goes into the laundry. Somehow leaving it on my seat doesn't seem proper.
I haven't either. I have been a waitress before, too and never seen anyone leave their napkin in the seat.

I used to a waitress at a sit down restaurant and I learned napkin in the seat means: "Be right back" and napkin on the table means: "We are done and please clean up." This rule is universal so you could use this instead of a sign.

Really? I would not put my napkin on the seat and then use it to wipe my mouth.... Gross...

I used to a waitress at a sit down restaurant and I learned napkin in the seat means: "Be right back" and napkin on the table means: "We are done and please clean up." This rule is universal so you could use this instead of a sign.

Really? I would not put my napkin on the seat and then use it to wipe my mouth.... Gross...

I would never put my napkin on a chair, where who knows who was sitting there before, and what they were doing, then pick up my napkin from that seat, spread it on my lap and occasionally wipe my FACE with that. So gross.

I place my napkin neatly beside where my plate would be.

I honestly thought the universal sign for "I'm done", are the words "check please", but that's just me.

OP, I wouldn't stress too much about this. Leaving not valuable, personal belongings at the table should suffice just fine. Enjoy your trip :goodvibes

I honestly thought the universal sign for "I'm done", are the words "check please", but that's just me.

OP, I wouldn't stress too much about this. Leaving not valuable, personal belongings at the table should suffice just fine. Enjoy your trip :goodvibes

Thanks! Just didn't want it to happen :)

My kids are young so I wouldn't want them going up by them self I would want to help them.

That is an excellent point. I think our local buffet has an a 10 and under must be accompanied by an adult and they do monitor it. I can not remember what the age is at WDW. I am sure there must be a sign but I can not remember. Anyone know?

That is an excellent point. I think our local buffet has an a 10 and under must be accompanied by an adult and they do monitor it. I can not remember what the age is at WDW. I am sure there must be a sign but I can not remember. Anyone know?

The 9 year old is so tiny she looks 7 so she is definitely not big enough lol! Thanks for asking this question!

I don't know about Disney, but I just wanted to say that at a local restaurant here at home (not even a buffet) we were all away from the table and the buss girl cleared everything away including throwing away my sons new chapstick (which happened to be huge deal to him). I don't know what she was thinking, we hadn't even gotten our food yet! I had taken one child to the bathroom, and while we were in there my other son had to go, so DH took him. Our stuff was still at the table and everything. When we came back everything was gone. They got us new drinks, and popcorn (they have complimentary popcorn there), and gave us a couple of dollars to replace the chapstick. It wasn't a huge deal, but it just seemed crazy to me. It obviously wasn't our waitress who did it. So my point is I can see how the OP could be concerned.

Please think twice about sending children up to the buffet alone! Unless you eat at a lot of buffets and have had a lot of practice with food safety issues, you run a real risk of food contamination. My kids needed close supervision

Please think twice about sending children up to the buffet alone! Unless you eat at a lot of buffets and have had a lot of practice with food safety issues, you run a real risk of food contamination. My kids needed close supervision

I will definitely not be allowing my kids to go up alone especially the 7 and 5 year old. I wouldn't even let the 9 year old ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter