• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Abusing" Club Level privileges

Originally posted by Eeyore1954
....(a) they didn't know better, maybe 1st timers to concierge or (b) they were trying to save some bucks on meals :eek: :o :earseek: or (c) they knew better but just didn't care. :eek:

What about: (d) they knew better but just didn't care and were trying to save some bucks on meals. :D

Unfortunately, there are some people who see the food offerings in concierge or club level offerings as replacements for food--and justify the behavior with the attitude "well, we paid xyz amount of dollars," and then congratulate themselves on their budgeting skills by offsetting the cost of a club level stay based on the 'market' value of a specific product. Logic along these lines--well, soda in the parks costs 2.50/bottle and there are 4 of us, and we drink 5 bottles/day, well, that's xyz amount of dollars per day we're saving. My, isn't club level grand!!!

The last time we stayed CL we had our boys. After finishing a nice litle breakfast, I asked the staff if we could take a PB&J for DS6 who is a picky eater. They of course said that would be fine, and offered one for the other boys, which we declined. Sent milk, though because you can't have PB&J w/out milk. We kidded about taking our "supplies" back with us...The next day, after breakfast, my boys start gathering things (pre-packaged not touching food) and talking loudly about gathering "supplies"! I was mortified, and immediately explained what is appropriate and what isn't! The staff, who had been there the day before were hooting! People were staring though, and I about died! They did learn the lesson! If only adults would learn the lesson so easily!

Michelle

After reading the six pages of this thread and considering all the well-expressed opinions, I'm still not sure where I stand on this. Then I realized that my experience (CL at the Swan) was really not the conciege level of service that is at the Disney-owned deluxe resorts. The Swan just has a lounge for breakfast; then it closes until 5:00, then it serves appetizers until 7, then closes at 8. That's the only service they provide for the extra price (which is about $50 a night). There is no separate check-in, no staff to assist with reservations (that is done downstairs and is available to everyone). The lounge isn't open all day - not even just to sit and relax. So there is no overall "pampering" that the other concierge levels offer. As a result, there probably is more of a mentality at the Swan (and Dolphin) of assessing whether you get your money's worth from the food and drink offerings - since that is all there is to CL.

I've never stayed at conceirge level, but after reading this thread, I'm convinced that I don't want to try it!:earseek: :earseek: :earseek:

I have seen where some poeple have made a schedule and shown where they actually had it down to return to the resort(CL) and eatthe fodo there and then go back out into the parks.

Then when they discovered that this wasn't actually feasible, they got downright angry and wrote a bad trip report because they had to spend souvenier money on eating in restaurants instead of just eating all meals in concierge lounge. These are the ones that need a lesson!

CL is actually very nice, they can help you to get that PS and arrange things for you, you can get a cup of tea or glass of juice etc when you feel like chilling in your room.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat on my trip after this one, if the price is right. Since I have a while to save up for it, I plan on doing it!

Originally posted by ~Sparkly~Zoe

Then when they discovered that this wasn't actually feasible, they got downright angry and wrote a bad trip report because they had to spend souvenier money on eating in restaurants instead of just eating all meals in concierge lounge. These are the ones that need a lesson!

Again...LOL! I have "read" these reports (especially from the GF), and am always amazed at the profound statements posted by these persons. They are UPSET when the lounge fails to provide "sandwiches or a variety of hot offerings"! :rolleyes:

These are the same persons whom "EMPTY" the ice machines to fill their coolers for the drive home! I've always found that one amusing as well. While in Key West two weeks ago, I noticed a sign actually posted over the ice machine. It read, "PLEASE DO NOT EMPTY THIS ICE BIN TO FILL YOUR COOLERS AND BAGS FOR PERSONAL USE. THIS ICE IS INTENDED FOR THE CONVENIENCE AND PLEASURE OF ALL RESORT GUESTS AND NOT YOU ALONE! Made me smile each time I passed by. :)

Thank goodness this resort did not offer CL...as I can just IMAGINE the sign they would have posted on that door!
This is a great thread, and it appears most all the DISers agree there is an unwritten code of protocol (common courtesy & ethics come into play) when visiting a CL lounge.

Perhaps some of the offenders are "lurkers", and will now modify their behavior on a future visit. These threads always prove to be more beneficial than most realize.

TTFN....DF99 :wave:

Originally posted by Redmic
I've never stayed at conceirge level, but after reading this thread, I'm convinced that I don't want to try it!:earseek: :earseek: :earseek:
Don't let these reports scare you from what could be a wonderful experience. I believe these are isolated occurrences and do not happen every day at every concierge at Disney. Well, maybe with the exception of the "Pink Lady" (*snarf!*). Sorry... I digress...

Concierge at Disney can be terrific, especially when you need some extra help or just want to feel a little extra special. Don't allow the behavior of a few stop you from enjoying something special and very magical.

Okay, admittedly I have not stayed on a club/concierge level at a hotel. That's not to say I haven't thought about it. I considered staying at the AKL (primarily because I liked the idea of snacking throughout the day).

I believe I have an appropriate solution so as not to deprieve anyone of food.

Disney should have a concierge staff member stand behind the food table and give food to anyone who wants it.

This would alleviate many problems:

1. No sneezing of little kids on the cookies
2. Overcrowding on plates would be regulated. If people were still hungry, they could stand in line after they ate and the concierge member would be able to give them more.
3. No cutting in line of ladies trying to get greasy chicken. :)

I know it would cost the hotel to have to "man the food", but it seems that this would allow more happy guests in the future. It would also contain food costs.

I also realize that there are sometimes times where family members are getting food for others who remained in the room. It would still be find to have 2 plates to give to the person manning the food table. The person will merely have to say they are taking the other plate back to the room for grandma/DH/DD/DS, etc. If someone lies about that, they are only holding two plates (not the entire tray!!!!!)

Just a thought... :)

I don't mean this as anything but a way of expressing a thought which just popped into my mind, but I'm going to throw it out there and open myself up to the potential flamage....

We've spoken a lot about people taking things that they might not be entitled to. But I've read over and over on the boards various suggestions about how to save money, often by bending the rules. the example which comes to mind at the moment: I've read many posts from people suggesting that when it comes to refillable mugs, "nobody checks... bring them back year after year, save a fortune!"

Now while this does not, of course, cause the resort in question to run out of soda, it IS an example of people doing something which is obviously against the rules, yet rationalizing the behavior, most likely under the "I paid a fortune for this trip, I'm cutting costs any way I can." Of course, this also falls into the category of "I'm taking money from out of their pockets, yet refuse to see that this is the reason that my trips cost more and I receive less bang for the buck."

After several days of reading (and, I might add, really enjoying) this thought-proviking thread, I must say I'm really competely uncertain of how I feel! Yes, I think it's wrong for people to be rude and engage in the type of behavior we're discussing here. but I'm uncertain as to whether we should sit back and say, "Well, it's gonna happen. Hopefully, it's the minority of guests and not the majority" or if a whole new set of rules and regulations should be implemented... which I'd find sad, in that, well, who wants more rules and regulations when you're on vacation? Who needs a "cookie monitor" to make sure each guest gets their one, perfectly measured cookie which has the exact same number of chocolate chips as will be given to each guest?

Richard

Richard - I totally agree! I have always been turned off by the # of people who seem almost PROUD of abusing the refillable mugs. This all goes hand in hand. Also people who lie about how many people are in the room b/c they don't want to pay the $25 extra per night...or the ages of their children so they'll save on passes and meals. This is very common. I was in Colonial Williamsburg this summer and DD is 6 and therefore requires admission. At dinner one night I talked w/ a family and their daughter - who was about 4.5 feet tall! had on a sticker stating "I Am Under 6 Years Old" on her shirt - translate, they lied about her age so they wouldn't have to pay for her $30 admission. The child had her front teeth missing and my DD had just lost hers, too, and so I asked her age and the mother told me she was almost 7! I mean, come on! What does that teach the kids when their parents lie and tell them to lie if anybody asks?

Well, I don't think you can always judge things like age by appearance--lots of kids (girls especially) look older than they really are....but since they TOLD you that they were lying....let me just say....My integrity is worth much much more than $30.00! especially in the eyes of my daughter.

The one thing I love about the disney CL is the planning service, expecially if you are celebrating a special occasion and/or have special requests. I would pay extra for such service without food service.

With our two preschoolers, we don't use the lounge service much. The kids would rather get Mickey bars at Captain Cook's than cookies from the lounge. And as great as the breakfast service is, by the third morning, I can't stand the sight of the mountains of carbs. I want some meat with my breakfast!:p

I've read on the rumors board that Disney would be rolling out planning service for parites of 8 and more. I wish they would offer that to every party size. That way, I can get a cake--from the room service--and actually get to eat some.

Kay

You said it yourself, "I think that the outrage should be directed towards the concierge staff NOT keeping the cookies... filled, regardless of how much anyone takes...But, when I pay anywhere from $100 to $150 more per night for the "privilege" of utilizing the concierge lounge and the food they provide, I darn well expect the staff to make SURE the food is there... It shouldn't matter if one guest takes a whole plate of anything back to their room...at the prices they charge, they can certainly afford more cookies!"
Translate: You're probably just the kind of concierge guest we're complaining about.

Actually, no. The only reason I started reply in this thread in the first place was because I don't understand why people on vacation worry so much about what other people are doing. I've seen it happen time and time again on this board. And as for expecting for the lounge staff to keep the food offerings replenished, I'm not the only one on this thread who has said that. :)

"Hmmmm...I don't see anything here about it being for "wealthy" people to feel pampered. For that matter, a lot of "regular" hotels have concierge desks to help EVERYONE with things they might need while traveling. "
If you don't think concierge is intended to be extra pampering for wealthier guests than you really just don't "get" it...

And you don't get what I'm saying...concierge service at Disney (or anywhere else) is for anyone who can afford it. :) I haven't been hostile or sarcastic in any of my responses, but yet you have Liz. Not sure why that is. :)

September will be our first and probably one of the few times we stay at Concierge level. This is a Birthday treat for me, in order to receive a little extra pampering. In my opinion Concierge is for those that can pay for it regardless of how many days months or years you spent saving. I think it is unfair for anyone to discriminate who should stay there and who should not.:eek:
Disney is a family theme park after all. I have heard of many couples saving for months to have a special meal for a special occassion at V & A s. Social class does not come into where you should stay or eat in WDW. If you have the money to pay for that room, you are entitled to do so.

Manners on the other hand are a totally different issue. Taking a whole plate of food out of the concierge lounge, shows a distinct lack of manners or thought for anyone else, but taking a few snacks or drinks back for your kids who are settling down for the night seems fine with most people.
I agree that the concierge offerings should not be treated like an all you can eat buffet, and if thats what people were looking for they could easily spend the money that they spent on the concierge upgrade, for a dinner breakfast or lunch buffet instead. I have 3 kids and will expect them to be on their best behaviour whilst in the concierge lounge. I think it will be a good time to practise social skills and good manners.:) ps I am not having a go at anyone this is just my opinion.:)

"I haven't been hostile or sarcastic in any of my responses..."

No, just passive/aggressive. :D :D :D

DW and I will be at Polynesian Concierge for the first time in October (Lagoon View, so there :p ) and boy, does this thread make me excited! ;)

dreamflight99, your comment about the 'no cooler' sign on the ice machine gave me a thought (and I can use all I can get). Are 'Da Rules' of Concierge posted / handed out / explained anywhere? Various posters are correct that the FTP (along with a larger longhouse in the Polynesian's case) has more folks staying CL for the first time. Now, of course, I know how to behave (and DW knows there's a 30 wing limit for her) but a typical non-DIS person who was upsold by a TA - do they know it isn't a buffet? Maybe a sign saying "please take only enough for yourself and those staying in your room" might help. Or maybe a 'wall of shame' with pictures of folks who take back-packs full of drinks and curler/nightgown women with plates of cookies.!

disneyqueen said "I don't understand why people on vacation worry so much about what other people are doing. " While I am truly a live-and-let-live kind of guy, there are a few reasons why I do this:

1. I follow rules, I wait my turn, I leave some for others, I don't go where I'm not supposed to. When I see others disregarding the same rules that I'm obeying, it bugs me a little. Doesn't ruin my day, but it's enough to mention on DIS. :p

2. More importantly, sometimes "what other people are doing" has a direct negative impact on my stay. When someone cuts in line, my wait is longer. When non-resort folks use resort-only facilities, I might not get to use them. When someone takes bottles of wine, plates of cookies and the last 30 wings, my DW doesn't get her 3 wings, 1 cookie and glass of wine and my life is now a living heck. ;)

As a hopeful optimist (yes, that does lead to a little disappointment sometimes ;) ) I'd hope that everyone would learn to share and cooperate. However, since it doesn't sound like - from these and other posts - that's going to happen, the only solution is obvious - Concierge Level CMs must be armed and ready to enfore 'Da Rules".

Why is it inappropriate for guests who paid for concierge services to expect them to be available? How does wanting what you paid for make you "one of those people"? If you walked into a standard room would you be upset if there were no pillows on the bed or towels in the restroom? If so, perhaps you too are one of those people who expects to receive what you paid for.

Originally posted by RAV
Why is it inappropriate for guests who paid for concierge services to expect them to be available?
People need to realize that concierge snacks are not unlimited. I've watched them bring in the evening snacks at the BC and while it looked like a LOT of food, it did appear that there was a limit to it.

It's perfectly acceptable to expect to get what you paid for as long as you realize there is a finite amount of food. The concerige staff order based on occupancy, assuming that people are not going to hoard or eat everything in sight.

If a few people decide to "graze" early and often, it's unfortunate, but blaming the concierge staff for not making an unlimited supply of everything available all the time is simply absurd. The guilt lies with the people who abuse the system, not with the system itself.

When guests abuse the privileges and "graze" and "hoard" food as you so well put it, I do believe the resort has an obligation to provide the services paid for by other guests. There is no indication of concierge offerings being "while supplies last" when you are booking it. Perhaps we should review the fine print. Maybe there is something there that states "while we are charging you for concierge offerings, if the guest in the next room decides to slap on the feed bags and eat everything in site, you are,for all intent and purposes, "out of luck'".

As for the comment by someone wondering why people care what other people do on their vacation- I don't give a rats a-- what anybody does as long as the behavior doesn't have a consequence for my family or other guests.

Sorry folks but I will be one of "those people" taking a full plate (and MORE) of food and drinks back to my room. We can't afford more than one room - even with a code. Therefore, not all of us will be "registered" guests and this is the only way to get enough food for everyone in the room. And ya know what? If I don't feel like changing out my pajamas before I go to the lounge, mind your own business. This is my vacation, not yours.

~Just trying to lighten up the post since it's getting a negative ~vibe~I AM kidding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter