• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Abusing" Club Level privileges

WebmasterPenny,

That's a very good question, one that shows both insight and intelligence ;). That's sort of what I was getting at a few pages ago:
Are 'Da Rules' of Concierge posted / handed out / explained anywhere?
When we go in (oh my, 38 days!) I'll keep my eyes open for any details. So far, this is all I could find - from disneyworld.com, Polynesian Resort pages:
and lounge with continental breakfast, midday snacks, evening hors d'oeuvres, and evening cordials and dessert.
It doesn't say 'all you can eat' or 'buffet dinner'; at least to me, 'snacks', 'hors d'oeuvres' and 'dessert' suggest a little plate with a few items on it, not a dinner plate piled high. It could be that Disney is being deliberately vague, and leaving it up to the manners and courtesy of their guests....

Anyone else have any handouts or notice any signs?

I have seen these "cow" type people devour the entire concierge offering like a pack of wild dogs. And it is clear for anyone that is in front of the food offerings that this is not ment for an entire meal, But I have read and debated with a number of posters about "how they were entitled to whatever and how much they wanted at the price they were paying"
Dr. Tomorrow I wonder if these are the same people that also think that they are entitled to room discount codes?

This has been an absolutly facinating thread for the socioligist in me. I think one thing that has people at cross purposes is the word class. For some they are looking at it as using your manners. For example you say please, don't cut in line and don't engage in overtly rude behavior. People of all socio-economic levels have this kind of class. Or sadly there are a few exceptions.

The other kind of class divides American societies into groups depending on the size of your community. Low, lower-middle, middle, upper-middle, upper, and upper-upper (if you can believe it!) People in each group know how to behave by nature in functions and settings unique to their group. Their parents teach them. For example, I would have no idea how to behave at a $1000 a plate dinner. Of course I would know to not belch and use my napkin but I would still feel out of place and the others would know I did not really belong, even though I have the money in my account to pay for the dinner. It has more to do with than money it is a deeper level that you are trained for at your parents knee.

Keep in mind I have never stayed in the concierge and likely never will. I think two groups of people were using class correctly and differently. Or maybe I'm just sleep deprived!;)

Hmmmm Mmmmm Mmmmm Hmmmmm

::hands over ears::

Not going there, Tonyspad. ;)

Do do do de do do de do

Originally posted by Tiiiigergirl
This has been an absolutly facinating thread for the socioligist in me. I think one thing that has people at cross purposes is the word class. For some they are looking at it as using your manners. For example you say please, don't cut in line and don't engage in overtly rude behavior. People of all socio-economic levels have this kind of class. Or sadly there are a few exceptions.

The other kind of class divides American societies into groups depending on the size of your community. Low, lower-middle, middle, upper-middle, upper, and upper-upper (if you can believe it!) People in each group know how to behave by nature in functions and settings unique to their group. Their parents teach them. For example, I would have no idea how to behave at a $1000 a plate dinner. Of course I would know to not belch and use my napkin but I would still feel out of place and the others would know I did not really belong, even though I have the money in my account to pay for the dinner. It has more to do with than money it is a deeper level that you are trained for at your parents knee.

Keep in mind I have never stayed in the concierge and likely never will. I think two groups of people were using class correctly and differently. Or maybe I'm just sleep deprived!;)

That's it, class to me has nothing to do with how much money you have but how you behave. And yes my parents who believe me had NOTHING taught me well. My Dad who has done very well for himself says when asked how are ya...Oh I'm just a bumb:confused: my Mom (same back ground) would have no problem at a $1000 a plate dinner. Very interesting, if I am going to attend something or be in a place I know nothing about I do my research and find out what is said and done in that situation.

I am amazed sometimes at how my parents are even still around terrible childhoods great people.

Good point Tiiiigergirl: different terminology for "class." This brought to mind a teacher inservice I had on "Generational Poverty." Rather than highjack this thread, I think I'll start a new thread on the Community Board.

Bev

. It has more to do with than money, it is a deeper level that you are trained for at your parents knee.
I would go one step further...and say it is actually an "inherent/intrinsic" trait or DNA quality one is literally born with (genetic make-up/composition). Much like an infant, whom holds a bottle with the "pinkie" finger poised delicately in the air. This is an old "Blue-blooded" trait. The upper class extended the pinkie "over" the underclass. Socioeconomic divides extend way beyond the wallet. Yet...I'm no expert. LOL. Just my own 2 pence. :p

Oh, you and tnkrbell raise another good issue - if Concierge staff gives you something - whether you ask for it or not - as far as I'm concerned, that's a "Get Out of the Concierge Jail Free" card.

Oh I agree!! If they GIVE you these items you should be free to devore them!!! lol lol:teeth:

As for making these offerings meals or not.. I think it depends on the person. If you are full with a bagel and coffee then it is a meal, if you need bacon,eggs ect.. then it not. :)
We may be in the minority here but I DO pay for concierge floor for the offerings in the lounge!! :) I can make my own ps!! I guess Im low class!! lol ;) :teeth:
Now I will be in concierge in 5 days and I just bought a new digital camera so I will be on the lookout for abusers!! So beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Tnkrbell - I agree with you. We book the CL for the convenience, which I guess is a luxury. It's much easier for my family to hop down to lounge at breakfast. As we are not big breakfast eaters, the lighter fare there is perfect for us. It gives us the energy to make it until lunch (which we DO NOT eat in the lounge..lol). Although, my husband has a "thing" for the taco salad. Eats enough for 3 people, but I just pretend I don't know him.

Plus, with 8 of us (2 rooms, of course) it makes it much easier for us all to me together in a room that is not 8' x 6'.

When we were there, I didn't witness anyone taking an absurd of food, with the except of my husband and the taco salad (sorry, he was born in a barn).

Thanks for the warm welcome, DrTomorrow. And let me apologize now. I don't know the proper abbv for husband/children, or how to post our next vacation, but I guess that would be another thread:rolleyes:.

Welcome Mystk!! :)
lol Im gad my hubby is not the only pig in the concierge lounge!!! lol lol :)
and just for you info alot of people refer to there spouses as DH ( either Disney husband or Darling husband) and children would be DD or DS oh and wife would be dw!! :) Enjoy the boards hope you to see you around alot!! :teeth: :wave:

I've read this entire thread...wow

My only thoughts are:

1. Although I've never stayed in concierge, how would you know there is not another try of wings or cookies in the back ready to come out.

2. If I paid for the service, I'd expect food to be available.

3. The only solution I can think of is one someelse mentioned. Have a Disney staff member hand out the food to the people as they go by. This would stop people from taking too much...or at least make them explain why they were taking so much food.

Originally posted by WebmasterPenny
BUT, whilst it has been stated many many times on this board that the food isn't to be used as meal replacements, has Disney actually said so?

Penny,

You certainly ask a reasonable question, I'd like to take a stab at an answer.

The breakfast offerings are certainly enough to not have to eat breakfast out, unless you must have your daily does of bacon and eggs or pancakes, etc. But if you are like most, a bowl of cereal, bagel, yogurt and fruit, etc. are more than enough.

In most lounges there are no "lunch" offerings, just a snack such as pretzels, M&M's, and gummy bears, certainly not enough to make lunch out of even for a light eater.

The early evening offerings are appetizers. Little finger foods and cheese and crackers. I don't think anyone could legitimately confuse them for "dinner".

Of course the later evening dessert offerings could replace your dessert after you've eaten dinner out, BUT, even if you eat dinner out and order cookies for dessert, you're not expecting to get 15 of them, rather you expect two, maybe three ot arrive on the plate.

Due to the type of snacks offered (and I just answered your question, they do refer to them as "snacks" (or similar verbiage) in the literature you are given, I don't think any reasonable person could misinterpret them for a meal replacement (except breakfast).

Anne

For example, I would have no idea how to behave at a $1000 a plate dinner. Of course I would know to not belch and use my napkin but I would still feel out of place and the others would know I did not really belong, even though I have the money in my account to pay for the dinner.

You shouldn't think like that! You would behave in the same manner as you would while eating anywhere! You don't begin eating until the hostess does (or instructs everyone to begin if she is being held up for some reason), and if in doubt as to which utensil to use, watch to see what your hostess uses.

Anne

I think many people on vacation are only out for themselves. Therefore, they see food available so they take as much as THEY want with no regard to others. They probably think the food will be replenished like a buffet, or maybe they know it won't be replenished so they take more than they need because it will run out soon. Whatever the reason, it's unfortunate that these selfish people ruin it for everyone. I do believe what goes around, comes around and hopefully they will be the victim of empty food trays before their stay ends.:D

I sometimes load up for my two kids , but only take what they will eat at the time... Someitmes it is easier to take stuff back to the room than try to take them into a room filled with food and have them choose, get them seated, and wait for them to eat. It is also much quicker to skip all of the mental stimulation. Also, if I want them to eat something healthy.... better to only have the healthy food near them. I am guilty of taking a couple of bagels, a piece of fruit, and some juice at times... but I could never imagine walking off with cookies and desserts piled high. I would never " clean out" the place though. If supplies are running low, I would probably skip it and take them out to eat.

I have been on cruises where they have the midnight buffet and people steal the display items before the buffet is even to start. I have witnessed dozens of people walking off with stuff that we were supposed to enjoy looking at before the buffet even started. Walking off with full platters of shrimp, even! I thought that was really cheesy!

Wow - what an interesting thread!

It just goes back to the saying - Manners can't be bought, they must be taught. If that sounds a little too "old money", trust me, I'm not. My family did not have a lot growing up...but my mother was adamant about certain things, and proper manners was one of them. To me, a lack of manners and common sense crosses ALL income levels...removing discounts from CL will not guarantee that no one will hoard food, poke food, and sneeze on food. It will only guarantee those germs came from a higher-income bracket - not necessarily a higher "class" of person. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter