• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Abusing" Club Level privileges

Originally posted by w8ting4pooh
Sorry folks but I will be one of "those people" taking a full plate (and MORE) of food and drinks back to my room. We can't afford more than one room - even with a code. Therefore, not all of us will be "registered" guests and this is the only way to get enough food for everyone in the room. And ya know what? If I don't feel like changing out my pajamas before I go to the lounge, mind your own business. This is my vacation, not yours.

~Just trying to lighten up the post since it's getting a negative ~vibe~I AM kidding.

As long as your PJ's are sheer and you have curlers in your hair and a backpack to fill with bottled water, you'll be fine. I'm sure that you know that you can fit three air mattresses on the floor of your room, and your little ones are small enough to sleep three or even four to a bed. Make sure to ask the room attendents for extra chocolates at turndown, they have plenty and would be happy to give you an entire bag. Don't foget to grab the entire box of uncrustables, you wouldn't want your kids to be hungry. And that wine is better than the jug stuff you have at home, so grab a couple bottles to take with you. ;)

Anne

Someone suggested that Disney needs an upscale boutique type of hotel. Apparently they also need Bargain Basement Concierge type of hotel!

They can have a huge lounge serving 12 kinds of spam casserole and all the corn dogs you want, set up a keg, fill the place with paper plates and cups (maybe some of those Chinese takeout cartons) and have at it!

If the price is right, it could be quite popular!:teeth:

You forgot the scrapple for the morning offerings ;)

Anne

Dr Tomorrow, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Dr Tomorrow, I couldn't have said it better myself.

I certainly don't deny that there are some "bad apples" out there, but fortunately the majority of guests we have come across in the last few years have been polite and friendly. I hope that the posters who read this thread and are considering concierge will not be frightened off. We spent a few days in each of the AKL and Poly concierges this year, and thankfully encountered very little of the bad behaviors listed here. We usually take the opportunity to point out to our children how not to behave. Sometimes they will tell us first ("that person is being naughty aren't they daddy/mommy?") :D

I do remember one indignant couple at the Poly one evening. It was around 7:30pm (30 minutes after the evening food service is over and 30 minutes before dessert service starts), and they complained loudly that there wasn't any food left except some fruit and cheese.

Mike

Originally posted by ducklite
You forgot the scrapple for the morning offerings ;)

Anne

Hey now let's be nice! LOL! I actually like scrapple, throwback from my father't influence, and we are definitely upper income. So lets not throw all of the scrapple eaters into one group. :D

Originally posted by skiwee1
Hey now let's be nice! LOL! I actually like scrapple, throwback from my father't influence, and we are definitely upper income. So lets not throw all of the scrapple eaters into one group. :D

My son likes it too, when made with apples...he does Civil War reenactment and it's one of their staples. Worse yet my sister likes Haggis... :eek: To each their own I guess LOL!

Anne

I have really been enjoying this thread in a kinda of sick and twisted way.

A few thoughts.

First on the "never-ending food"... ummmm - no. Concierge food is NOT meant to be a meal. There are no gnomes or fairies or Tinker Bell that is going to make more and more food appear by magic (even if some rude cow walked off with the entire plate of chocolate covered strawberries). The example given about the wedding is the most apt. You plan and get a little extra but if someone was rude, you can't always figure that in. The strawberry lady or the cookie lady isn't there all the time.

Now about that strawberry lady... I would have LOVED it if the next time she tried to walk off with all those strawberries, someone would have just snatched the whole plate off the table right in front of her. Wonder what her reaction would have been to that? Especially if that person was handing out strawberries to all the "polite" people around them. (Hey, they're my strawberries, I can share with whoever I want!) I would have paid money to see that little girl bump into the chicken wing woman.

Now about the rich vs. the not so rich. You can't make sweeping generalizations about ANY group. My DB is from Kentucky but he isn't married to his sister. (JOKE!)

Anyway, I use to work at AIDS Project Los Angeles and was on the event planning crew for Gianni Versaces fashion show. I was SHOCKED by the number of big name celebrities that were stealing us blind!! I don't mean just fighting over gift bags. I mean stealing the hotels silver, the napkins and tiny lampshades that Mr. Versace made in addition to TABLECLOTHS! These are movie stars, rock stars, BIG NAMES and they are stealing from AIDS patients (because our organization has to cover the replacement cost for any theft).

Perhaps they felt "entitled". Who knows. I know its not in the same league with taking all the strawberries but it shows that manners and class have NOTHING to do with money.

I will also say that Steven Segal is a PRINCE among men. I went up to him, pointed out one movie guy running off with a ton of stuff. Steven ran him down, stuck him up against a wall and got our stuff back. It was just like the movies. He was very nice and at least I got some things returned. Unlike those women who'se itty bitty designer handbags looked like over-stuffed chipmunk cheeks.

Hmmm...not to make light of a serious issue with your worthy cause, but was Winona there? (Sorry, I had to :) )

Anne

Boy Ive been gone a week this is some thread!! lol :)
I agree ther ae people who abuse the concierge lounge.

Now that being said on our last trip to Yacht I had asked about a wine that was served the night before and about 10 minutes later they brought me a bottle "for me to take to my room"
So someone probably saw me and thoght I was stealing the bottle of wine, but it was given to me!!

Originally posted by tnkrbell
Boy Ive been gone a week this is some thread!! lol :)
I agree ther ae people who abuse the concierge lounge.

Now that being said on our last trip to Yacht I had asked about a wine that was served the night before and about 10 minutes later they brought me a bottle "for me to take to my room"
So someone probably saw me and thoght I was stealing the bottle of wine, but it was given to me!!

So now we know who is at the root of all the trouble ;) (Just teasing you!) That was nice that they gave you the bottle for your room. The difference being there was still one in the lunge for the other guests! :)

Anne

lol :teeth:
I know it was nice!! I wish I knew I was suppose to tip extra for that kind of stuff!!! I feel like a cheap skate!!!! Well this tri Ill know better!! :)

This thread is so funny, I felt compelled to register. This is my first posting, please don't beat me up too bad. :)

During our stay at the Poly, the staff
encouraged us to take bottles of water/soda to the park and room when we left. They presented us with pb&j sandwiches for the little ones each morning before left for the park. We didn't ask for this, and even denied the extra goodies. But they were relentless. :p

I'm wondering now if it was due to the lack of guest on the CL (2nd week of December is very very dead).

Welcome, mistyk, to the DIS! And kudos for being brave enough to jump into this thread - soon you'll be ready to handle AP Discounts and Refillable Mugs! :p

I'm fairly certain that most of this thread's posters are not talking about behaviour such as yours. DW and I plan on snagging a water bottle or two for the parks after a breakfast of a bagel and juice (and Kona Coffee!) - and your taking a spare pbj for the kids sounds fair. It's when you walk off with a case of water and loaves of bread that courtesy is befouled.

Oh, you and tnkrbell raise another good issue - if Concierge staff gives you something - whether you ask for it or not - as far as I'm concerned, that's a "Get Out of the Concierge Jail Free" card.

Once again, welcome aboard!

Originally posted by the disney queen
I think that the outrage should be directed towards the concierge staff NOT keeping the cookies/strawberries/"insert whatever food you prefer" filled, regardless of how much anyone takes. We've stayed concierge level at the Polynesian. Yes, we did "learn" that we needed to get there early in order to have a better selection of offerings. But, when I pay anywhere from $100 to $150 more per night for the "privilege" of utilizing the concierge lounge and the food they provide, I darn well expect the staff to make SURE the food is there...all throughout the hours they designate it to be available. It shouldn't matter if one guest takes a whole plate of anything back to their room...at the prices they charge, they can certainly afford more cookies!

The food is prepared based on the number of people booked to stay concierge and on average how much food that number of people usually consume. It would not make good business sense for a hotel to make let's say 5 dozen cookies everynight just in case there are rude people staying there that take a dozen back to their room instead of two or three cookies. This applies to all of the food offerings. It has been stated many times on this board that the food offerings in Concierge are not to be used as meal replacements. That is not what they are intended for.

Originally posted by Redmic
Someone suggested that Disney needs an upscale boutique type of hotel. Apparently they also need Bargain Basement Concierge type of hotel!

They can have a huge lounge serving 12 kinds of spam casserole and all the corn dogs you want, set up a keg, fill the place with paper plates and cups (maybe some of those Chinese takeout cartons) and have at it!

If the price is right, it could be quite popular!:teeth:

Somebody's always starting a thread about the next theme for a Disney hotel.

How about one based on The Beverly Hillbillies? I invision a huge mansion-styled hotel, with a nice "cement pond" pool area, critters everywhere, and just think of the concierge snacks that could be available - Ellie May's hard as rock biscuits, Granny's 'possum stew, some of Granny's "rhuematism" medicine instead of wine or beer. Gosh darn, we could even serve everything off of the "fancy eatin' table" (i.e. pool table) and even use those pot passers!

When you check out, the CM's would be required to say "Y'all come back now, ya hear?!

(I'm really beginning to enjoy this thread a little bit too much. Now I'm starting to get punchy!)

izzy,

Just to show that reality is stranger than we can imagine, such a resort - in Reno, Nevada - is on it's way to becoming reality. Check it out here - it's being attempted by Max Baer Jr. - Jethro Bodine.

Speaking of Las Vegas and the need for a higher-end Disney resort - LV has started doing that. Mandelay Bay - no slouch as a resort itself - has the Four Seasons hotel on the 30th floor. It has it's own check in desk and staff; it's really creme de la creme (of course, I've never stayed there.!)

Originally posted by DrTomorrow
izzy,

Just to show that reality is stranger than we can imagine, such a resort - in Reno, Nevada - is on it's way to becoming reality. Check it out here - it's being attempted by Max Baer Jr. - Jethro Bodine.

OMG - that is TOO funny! I couldn't believe some of the things that were in that link - Jethro actually stole some of my ideas - LOL!!

Maybe we should tell Max Baer that this property would be better located in the Lake Buena Vista area!

Originally posted by Tiffany
It has been stated many times on this board that the food offerings in Concierge are not to be used as meal replacements. That is not what they are intended for.

Ok...I'm <i>really</i> not asking this to stir the pot (afterall, I might be the one who has to put out the fire ;) ), but as a ligitimate question - I have never stayed Concierge, proabably never will (can't see what all the fuss is about, besides - I'm a DVC'er) BUT, whilst it has been stated many many times on this board that the food isn't to be used as meal replacements, has Disney actually said so? Does it say on the documentation or anything? If so, how do we know that's not what it's intended for if people so desire? It may or may not be true, and I'm not debating if it's a right or wrong thing - I'm not saying that.... what I <i>am</i> saying is just because a lot of people here, albeit Disney 'experts', say so, doesn't neccessarily make it so :)

Also, if it's not on the documentation, how would some folks know that they are perhaps doing something wrong? They probably assume that Disney just re-fill the plates right up for everyone else after they leave...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter