Advice for glasses wearers.

As others have said, I've had no issues at all in the 4 parks. I've never removed my glasses and never felt concerned. In the water parks, however, I walk around without my glasses, so it's probably good to have something to secure them with there. My dad's glasses got blown off by the wave at TL. Luckily, while we were frantically looking for them and saying how my mom was going to kill him, a little boy from the UK who was standing next to us said "I think I'm standing on your glasses"! He saved the day!!!!

I find the rides that require 3D glasses problematic, as the glasses over my glasses distort my vision. Not that I don't ride anyway!
The only ride I remove my glasses for is Rock n Roller Coaster ...and I probably wouldn't need to. There's no other ride that I feel remotely threatens the loss of my eyewear.
My DD's first ride on RNRC was filled with tears. Her glasses flew off in the initial loop, but luckily were on the floor of the car when we stopped. Made for a worried ride, though. I take my glasses off, though I miss the cool visuals.

Thank you all for the replies, they've been a great help. I am planning on getting a strap and hopefully I'm going to buy a pair of cheaper glasses which I can wear so if anything happens then at least it's not my expensive pair. I also have prescription sunglasses so at least I'd have a few pairs to choose from.

I think I should be okay because I don't like "big" rides so I'll be avoiding those and if you need to remove them for certain things in the water parks I would probably just give it a miss. I feel unnerved without my glasses, not being able to see things properly makes me nervous, especially when I'm not the best with rides anyway! :rotfl:

I can't speak to the water parks but I've never removed my glasses on any ride - including the mountains. To be honest it never occurred to me. They're a part of my face. :cool:

My eyeglasses are super pricey and I also have RX sunglasses that I wear at the water parks - after losing a pair of glasses in the pool at the bottom of a body slide I always wear an eyeglass strap of some sort at the waterparks. The lifeguard was able to stop the slide for a few minutes and they went in and found my glasses for me and retrieved them. They were fine but it was a big scare and I learned my lesson. The only other ride I use a strap on at Disney is RnR because it is inverted. (Although they would probably be OK without...just no point risking it.)

I've had some worries about Flights of Passage. Anyone had any trouble with it?

No - you actually wear 3-D glasses on that ride like you do on Star Tours so if those are expected to stay on so would your regular glasses. It is designed similar to Soarin' in the way it loads etc. although there is a lot more movement. I did kinda wish the 3D glasses fit a little tighter but we rode it 5x during our trip and I didn't see anyone losing their 3D glasses.

Hubby wears his glasses on all attractions and has never had any problems. We go multiple times a year and ride all thrill rides!

DH wears his on all rides and at all water parks.
Never been a problem for him

I've always went "blind" at water parks and usually wear contacts on other rides but have occasionally wore glasses without any problems.

Other than for photos, I never take my glasses off. I even have transitions so I can leave them on all the time, both inside and out. I've never come close to losing them. Nor have I had to remove them, even over at Universal where they are way more restrictive then Disney about what can go on rides.
I take them off for photos outdoors because they'll be dark like sunglasses and I don't like to take photos with sunglasses on.

ETA-I keep a pocket sized cleaning cloth in my ID pouch that I keep in my pocket so clean off water spots from various rides

I've always worn glasses and have never had any trouble with them at all on Splash and Space Mountain, PotC, BTMR, EE...

BUT I'll be in WDW in two weeks where I intend to ride RnR for the first time, so I'm glad I saw these suggestions!
Same here. I always wear my glasses on every ride even RNRC. I have not had any problems. I think I did feel them slipping a little on one ride but cant remember which one. I just pushed the back up. I would cry if I lost my glasses because I cannot see without them:crazy2:

Glasses are totally fine on all rides at the regular parks. They are fine on many of the rides at the water parks as well, but sometimes CMs will make you hold them for some of the more intense WP rides.

Back before contact lenses (we call those the dark days) I wore my glasses all over the world, never had a problem. This was quite some time ago, but still includes original Test Track, the mountain range and Rock'n'Roller Coaster. I always had snug frames that hugged my head though, so if your glasses are loose you may want to secure them with a strap.

Matt

i have to wear my glasses or I literally would be walking into everything. I have two pairs I take to the parks with me, my regular glasses and my sunglasses. I have never had any problems on any ride. It does get a little irritating switching glasses. I am going to try to go to my eye dr. before my next trip and get a pair with transition lenses.

i have to wear my glasses or I literally would be walking into everything. I have two pairs I take to the parks with me, my regular glasses and my sunglasses. I have never had any problems on any ride. It does get a little irritating switching glasses. I am going to try to go to my eye dr. before my next trip and get a pair with transition lenses.
Oh yes get transition lenses they are the best! I finally broke down last year and got some. Even though they cost more they are so worth it. I'am so happy I have mine, no need worry about going out in the sun, the only thing is when you come inside from outside it takes about a minute for them to transition back.

Disney is why I got Transition lenses. I wouldn't have bothered at home since they don't work for driving but walking around the parks all day, in and out, in and out of the sun. It is just too much of a pain to switch glasses or to take any clips off/on. The transitions are the best. The only times I've noticed them slow to change is when it's cold out. Not a problem at Disney.

I found eyeglasses straps on www.amazon.com that actually float. The brands are Ukes and Tortuga. They have some pretty neat designs too. Also on amazon they have a strap that has yellow tubes around it and it floats like a life preserver. I can't remember the brand but a search on the site will bring it up. 8-)

Contacts are an issue as well. Years ago (before PRK surgery) I had my contact shot out by a kid using a water cannon. My daughter wears contacts and went to Adventure Island (Busch Gardens) and said there were several times she almost lost her contacts on water slides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter