Advice for Staying Off Property

jbish

DIS Veteran
I'll be running the upcoming Wine & Dine Half Marathon with two friends. I'm a DVC member so I am used to staying on property. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to secure a DVC stay for the race and finding limited options on property. So *gasp* I'm considering staying at a non-Disney resort. Help! I'm a newbie now!

If we don't stay at a Disney resort, I'm assuming we will either rent a car or maybe just try to Uber/Lyft around town. What's it like getting to the race on Sunday morning via taxi/Uber/Lyft? Is it just a horrible hassle dealing with getting back to the hotel after the race? (My one and only other Run Disney race I was able to hop on the monorail back to BLT.)

Ideally we would stay as close as possible/be "on property" even if not at a Disney resort. I have heard many people talk about Wyndham Bonnet Creek - and the "Grand Orlando Resort" has okay rates. Convenient enough for the race? Swan/Dolphin seem to have availability but the rates are so much higher. Was also hoping for an AP discount to maybe help with the cost of a Disney resort, but nothing has come out yet.

Any advice/insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Doing some research now, anyone with experience with Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace? It says it's an "official Disney World Hotel" and has access to EMH and FP+? Sort of like Swan/Dolphin, except without Disney transportation?

I stayed there a couple of years ago. It was just OK, although the EMH was nice. Walking to Downtown Disney was easy back then; it may be a bit tougher to walk to Disney Springs now with the new traffic lane configurations. Please confirm, but I believe they have both daily parking and resort fees, which can add up. I also think they have ended the free breakfast in the lounge for elites.

I'm staying at Bonnet Creek for the W&D HM, reserved through Vacation Strategies. We will be four adults (wife and kids coming along) so the cost is very reasonable for a two bedroom, if, you need two bedrooms. Location is great, but there is no real transportation so you will probably need a car (or a bunch of Ubers)

I have stayed at Bonnet Creek for several races and it is perfect as long as you don't mind driving. I would never risk an Uber trip at that hour (just me).

FWIW, I was able to sleep much later when driving to the races - like, and extra hour.

Hilton Bonnet Creek has shuttle buses to the parks and Disney Springs and if you book through their Marathon Weekends link you get a late checkout and a bus to the half marathon start. I stayed there during Princess this past February and we used Lyft once and drove the car once (both for convenience rather than necessity). The rest of the time we were on the shuttle buses.

@jbish
Uber or Lyft will work just fine, but I cannot stress this enough...SCHEDULE your pickup ahead of time through the app. Do not rely on just finding a driver that morning. And do it EARLY.

Princess 2017 was insane. I don’t know what happened, but traffic was super bad that morning. I think it was because Disney starting shutting down the roads while Runner’s (and bus drivers from the resorts) were still trying to drive in close to the last minute. Better to arrive stupid early...you can enjoy character photo ops, the DJ, even grab some snacks from the food booth that will be open. Definitely better than being late!

If no DISNEY properties open up for you, I would try for a place on Hotel Plaza Blvd (next to Disney Springs).

Driving from off site is easy. If you get there before the buses start dropping off you can usually hit a bunch of characters before the lines get insane.

that being said as stated above you can also sleep longer if you so choose as well. I still generally get up 2:30ish and try to be in the epcot parking lot by 3

Driving from off site is easy. If you get there before the buses start dropping off you can usually hit a bunch of characters before the lines get insane.

that being said as stated above you can also sleep longer if you so choose as well. I still generally get up 2:30ish and try to be in the epcot parking lot by 3
3??? Wow, that is "stupid early" - lol. But I can appreciate the advice. I don't like to leave that kind of stuff to chance. Earlier is always better.

Hilton Bonnet Creek has shuttle buses to the parks and Disney Springs and if you book through their Marathon Weekends link you get a late checkout and a bus to the half marathon start. I stayed there during Princess this past February and we used Lyft once and drove the car once (both for convenience rather than necessity). The rest of the time we were on the shuttle buses.

Looking into this - thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately the special rates are not available but I like the extras that they offer.

Has anyone stayed in the Flamingo Crossings area? There's a Spring Hill Suites and a TownePlace Suites - right by the property, but wondering how easy it would be to get around?

Has anyone stayed in the Flamingo Crossings area? There's a Spring Hill Suites and a TownePlace Suites - right by the property, but wondering how easy it would be to get around?

I'm staying there for a long weekend next month. I'll report back what I find, but you may well have made other plans by then.

I'm staying there for a long weekend next month. I'll report back what I find, but you may well have made other plans by then.
Yeah, probably too late by then. But I'd still like to hear about your experience. How are you planning on getting to the parks? I didn't see any shuttle service options (unless this was one where you could pay extra for it?).

Yeah, probably too late by then. But I'd still like to hear about your experience. How are you planning on getting to the parks? I didn't see any shuttle service options (unless this was one where you could pay extra for it?).

Our family is a bit unusual in that we always rent a car, even if we are staying on Disney property. Although resort parking is no longer free, as an annual passholder parking at the parks is free. We also enjoy eating outside the parks a few times during out stay and hitting up the grocery store for pop and snacks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter