Air Conditioning in SSR

DisneyDadof2

Earning My Ears
Ok, I read in many a post that Disney has changed the a/c thermostats to motion sensors. Has anyone ran into the room getting rather warm at night while sleeping at SSR? If so, how did you fix the issue? We have to have a really nice cool room at night to sleep. I've read about an override by pushing the power and down buttons at the same time. Does this really work or will I be bothering the front desk eveynight to have someone come to our room and do something?
:scared:

The ceiling fan may be a good point- wouldn't keeping the fan on during the night satisfy the motion sensor and therefore keep the A/C on (with balloon or not)?

Yes, they are motion sensor activated and yes they do get warm unless you move around.

Now, I didn't tell you this:

The thermostat has two buttons on the left (ON/OFF and AUTO/FAN) and two buttons on the right (UP and DOWN)

1) Press the ON/OFF and AUTO/FAN buttons together. The digital display will change to 'CA'.

2) Press the ON/OFF and DOWN button together. The digital display will change to 'OR" (or something similar).

You have just deactivated the motion sensor. This will last for three days at which point you will have to repeat the process.

Depends on the motion sensor. I put one in my walk-in-closet at home that turns the light on. After you walk out it shuts off in 1 minute.

But still..............wouldn't the balloon be more magical. If you can't spare the $8.00 for the balloon, you can always use toilet paper. :rotfl2:

Nothing worse than a hot sweaty hotel room!

Hi

We just got back from SSR and did not have any issues with the motion sensor. We were in a studio and did keep the fan running at night.

We used something similar to this and it overrode the a/c system while we were there at the beginning of this month.

Daddio said:
Yes, they are motion sensor activated and yes they do get warm unless you move around.

Now, I didn't tell you this:

The thermostat has two buttons on the left (ON/OFF and AUTO/FAN) and two buttons on the right (UP and DOWN)

1) Press the ON/OFF and AUTO/FAN buttons together. The digital display will change to 'CA'.

2) Press the ON/OFF and DOWN button together. The digital display will change to 'OR" (or something similar).

You have just deactivated the motion sensor. This will last for three days at which point you will have to repeat the process.

copied this from a post in another thread, wasnt sure how to post a link to a particular thread hope i havet violated any disboard policy by doing this

Bypassing the A/C at your resort
I noticed many asking how to do this as to make your room comfortable. I did a search and found the post that everyone was alluding to! Here it is:

I just returned from the Poly and wanted to give a heads up on that sensor that only turns the AC on when there is movement in the room. Last trip we were not happy when we awoke in the middle of the night hot. After reading the DIS I found that there is a way to bypass the sensor. On this trip I called maintenance immediately and someone came right over to show me how to do it. He said that you can bypass it anytime and they get a lot of requests for it. So here is the way to do it: On the thermostat push the power button and the down arrow(that adjusts the temp) at the exact same time. If you do this correctly there will be the letters "bp" where the temp numbers usually are. You are now bypassing the sensors in the room. You can then set the temp to whatever you want and it keeps the room that cold whether you are in it or not. He, the maintenance CM, then said that you might have to do this once a day as the thermostat tends to go back to sensor mode after 24 hours. We found that it stayed on bypass for a couple of days at a time. It was great to come back to a cold room or not wake up in the middle of the night in a sweat again. The CM that did this for us said it was nop problem doing this as they do it for people all the time. Guess they get a lot of complaints

YoMickey said:
Depends on the motion sensor. I put one in my walk-in-closet at home that turns the light on. After you walk out it shuts off in 1 minute.

But still..............wouldn't the balloon be more magical. If you can't spare the $8.00 for the balloon, you can always use toilet paper. :rotfl2:

Nothing worse than a hot sweaty hotel room!

Motion sensors work by detecting thermal changes, moving bodies. Unless your balloon is full of hot air it will not fool the system. best bet is to overide it.

fishermouse said:
Motion sensors work by detecting thermal changes, moving bodies. Unless your balloon is full of hot air it will not fool the system. best bet is to overide it.

Not saying you are wrong, just thinking out loud.

If the motion sensors detect thermal changes, shouldnt we refer to them as thermal sensors?

Also.

If the THERMAL sensors detect thermal changes would it not sense that the room is getting warmer after AC is turned off?

I can go for days.

Anewman said:
Not saying you are wrong, just thinking out loud.

If the motion sensors detect thermal changes, shouldnt we refer to them as thermal sensors?

Also.

If the THERMAL sensors detect thermal changes would it not sense that the room is getting warmer after AC is turned off?

I can go for days.

Hee.

Actually, THERMAL sensors would sense the current temperature. There actually is a THERMAL sensor in the thermostat (thermal, thermo - see the connection) that says "the temperature is", then logic in the thermostat decides if the HVAC goes on/off - and that is what is being over-ridden.

With regards to motion detection:

wikipedia said:
There are basically three types of motion detectors still in use today. The most common and reliable motion detector uses infrared technology. Technolgy used:

- Passive infrared sensors (PIR)
Detects changes in the infrared spectrum. Looks for body heat.
- Ultrasonic
Sends out an emitting ultrasonic pulses and measures the reflection of a moving object.
- Microwave
Microwaves are bounced off an object. Similar to a police radar gun.

The IR sensors detect changes; that is, whether there is a heat source that wasn't there a second ago or whether a heat source that was there isn't there now. That's why a ballon won't do it, and why a simple increase in room temperature won't trigger it.

To play around with language, I guess you could call IR-based motion sensors "rapid thermal delta sensors", but since they are used as motion sensors, that works for me.

IMHO - YMMV - Be well!

We were just at the BCV and maybe the thermostats are different than SSR but....there was no "on/off" button. only a hi/low and a "fan only". we tried every combination of pushing/holding all the buttons and never figured it out.

luckily it wasn't too hot and not much of an issue. next time we will call maintenance. :thumbsup2

On our stay (5/5-5/11) at SSR, the a/c thermostat sensor did not bother me much. Although, the motion sensor on the bathroom vent drove me crazy. I like to take long, how showers to relax. The bathroom vent would only stay on for a few minutes, the vent would go off after a few minutes of shower curtain being pulled. If you looked at the closely you could see where moisture ran down the walls. I thought you would want to get all of the moisture out effeciently to prevent mold growth.

Sorry (in a way) to hear about this motion sensor thing. Irritating to say the least. But now I know at least there is a way to over-ride the darn thing.
Q: WHERE is the actual "sensor" located?? And how would that work in a Grand Villa, where I believe the second floor thermostat is out in the hall area??

DisneyDadof2 said:
Ok, I read in many a post that Disney has changed the a/c thermostats to motion sensors. Has anyone ran into the room getting rather warm at night while sleeping at SSR? If so, how did you fix the issue? We have to have a really nice cool room at night to sleep. I've read about an override by pushing the power and down buttons at the same time. Does this really work or will I be bothering the front desk eveynight to have someone come to our room and do something?
:scared:
We didn't have trouble with this last week (we were at SSR for 5 nights. We adjusted the thermostat as we saw fit. It was always nice and comfy and in fact it got too cool a few times and we had to adjust it.

We had problems with the thermostat at SSR while we slept. Although the SSR staff said they bypassed the motion sensor, the room continued to be hot at night so maybe the thermostat was defective. Our short trip ended before this could be resolved. We wrote down the thermostat manufacturer information at the end of our trip. The thermostat is an Onity Sensorstat DDC 2 and information on how it works is on the manufacturer's website (Onity.biz). The Onity phone number is on the web site in case you have questions during your stay that the SSR staff can't help you on. We were told by SSR if we had any problems with the thermostat on future trips to bring it to the attention to the SSR chief engineer (Craig). I hope you have a cool and enjoyable stay at SSR. It is still a beautiful resort despite the problem we had. :cool1:

Ok... I was thinking....about the balloon swirling around on the fan..

How about if you stick one of those 8 hour therma care patches to it.

It would have motion and heat.... :woohoo:

It does not require a masters degree in thermostats and it does not require you to call and have maintenance try to bypass it...

A very magical solution. :wizard:

Ahh so this is why we said the A/C had a mind of its own LOL

I just came back from the parks pushed a lot of button and then wham it was cold for the night :) Never knew it was on a motion sensor timing.

As for the Exhaust fans in the shower area... Annoying to say the least.

We bypassed the motion sensor and had no problems with the room being cool. Got down right chilly a few times!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter