Airmiles Armchair Chatter

O/T Off topic
Sooooooo tell me I am not a bad mom please.

My oldest son does not live with me and takes public transit to work everyday....he also works with the public . He shares an apt with a roommate ,,(they don't really like each other but tolerate each other).

I have never not had him home for Thanksgiving...................................................
I have done park and driveway visits with him.

I am thinking of dropping off a baked pie and Ultimate dining card instead of him coming home for Thanksgiving.................... Gheesh this sounds so awful.

Any better solutions anyone is doing or trying this year.?

Hugs
Mel

Just got an offer for Shell. 3 30 lt fills between Oct. 7 and Nov. 7 get 50 AM. Not sure if I can use 90 Lt's in a 30 day period though.
Since my previous offers have always been for 25 LT's I wonder if Shell is changing to 30 on a permanent basis.

O/T Off topic

My oldest son does not live with me and takes public transit to work everyday....he also works with the public . He shares an apt with a roommate ,,(they don't really like each other but tolerate each other).

I have never not had him home for Thanksgiving...................................................

I am thinking of dropping off a baked pie and Ultimate dining card instead of him coming home for Thanksgiving.................... Gheesh this sounds so awful.

Hugs
Mel
I think I have decided to not do dinner this weekend as well. I like your idea and I don't think it sounds awful at all.

O/T Off topic

Hugs
Mel

nope, not at all a bad mom!!

i had high hopes for thanksgiving, but numbers are just going up and up. as hard as it is to celebrate in new ways, i think you have great ideas to make it special and safe.

do you use facetime? you could always watch a movie together over facetime, or even just eat your meals together and chat?

O/T Off topic

You are not a bad Mom. I am lucky that I have my nephew and his girlfriend living with my brother and I so I will still have people at my house helping me eat my turkey and celebrating Thanksgiving with us. My Mom and Sister will be going to the cottage for the weekend so they can stop by on their way home and grab some of my leftover turkey. Hope it is nice Monday night so we can sit outside for a short visit. My Mom and Sister live together so they are in the same bubble.
Too bad it is too late to find a catering company who can make him up a plate of dinner. He can always order the Thanksgiving special from Swiss Chalet.
You can drop a baked pie off at my house - sounds yummy.

O/T Off topic

Hugs
Mel

My sister had planned to host a brunch (outdoors) but cancelled it because of rising rates here. Kiddo and I are still going to visit my parents on Friday, but kiddo hasn't left the house in almost two weeks and I only go out to get groceries so I think we are "safe". I think it's nice of you to drop off the pie and card, Swiss Chalet has their festive feast. I doubt we will even have a turkey dinner ourselves. I may get some Swiss Chalet though :)

Hopefully by Christmas, things will be better.

Just got an offer for Shell. 3 30 lt fills between Oct. 7 and Nov. 7 get 50 AM. Not sure if I can use 90 Lt's in a 30 day period though.
Since my previous offers have always been for 25 LT's I wonder if Shell is changing to 30 on a permanent basis.
Yeah, I noticed the 30L too - which is funny because their Shell go+ is 20L per mile? And mega miles was supposed to be 25L - but I qualified and got the bonus with only 20L. Interesting how it varies so much.

O/T Off topic

Hugs
Mel
You are the best mom! You don't have to have him come to your house. Make your usual Thanksgiving meal (prepare things a little early) and package up a portion for him to enjoy (complete with dessert). If you're feeling generous and have enough throw in leftovers for the next day. Take it over to him (physically distanced hand off) and he can heat it up in the microwave.

We did this for Easter dinner this year. Ok, the boys drove over to pick up their meals but they had meals to go and those in my household ate the rest. I think I made soup out of the turkey the next day and sent that over too.

My oldest, while he doesn't live with us it's kind of like he does. I am over at his house 2x/week painting etc or he is over here picking something up. I'm living on the wild side and allowing him to join us for dinner (he also works from home). I feel so guilty for breaking the "rules" but this is just a little bending of the definition (in my mind anyway).

You are the best mom! You don't have to have him come to your house. Make your usual Thanksgiving meal (prepare things a little early) and package up a portion for him to enjoy (complete with dessert). If you're feeling generous and have enough throw in leftovers for the next day. Take it over to him (physically distanced hand off) and he can heat it up in the microwave.

We did this for Easter dinner this year. Ok, the boys drove over to pick up their meals but they had meals to go and those in my household ate the rest. I think I made soup out of the turkey the next day and sent that over too.

My oldest, while he doesn't live with us it's kind of like he does. I am over at his house 2x/week painting etc or he is over here picking something up. I'm living on the wild side and allowing him to join us for dinner (he also works from home). I feel so guilty for breaking the "rules" but this is just a little bending of the definition (in my mind anyway).
I'm in a similar boat. We have 3 in our household, but my oldest is always in and out, and spends a couple of nights here when he has his little one. My other son, his wife and boy, live not far away, and are in and out as well. We decided to keep our plans for dinner on Saturday. Yes, it is against the recommendation, but I think that my d-i-l really needs a break. Like all teachers, she is about to crack, and she needs her mama. We aren't changing our bubble, but instead of 3 for dinner, we will have 8.

O/T Off topic

Hugs
Mel
It doesn't sound bad at all. My suggestion though.....the weather is going to be nice this weekend. How about an outdoor Thanksgiving lunch or early dinner? Just sit at opposite ends of the table. Saturday appears to be the best day this weekend...high of 22.

Since it's Thanksgiving....I'm thankful for not having to deal with this holiday. There is always family drama.

Last edited:
O/T Off topic

Hugs
Mel

My sister had planned to host a brunch (outdoors) but cancelled it because of rising rates here. Kiddo and I are still going to visit my parents on Friday, but kiddo hasn't left the house in almost two weeks and I only go out to get groceries so I think we are "safe". I think it's nice of you to drop off the pie and card, Swiss Chalet has their festive feast. I doubt we will even have a turkey dinner ourselves. I may get some Swiss Chalet though :)

Hopefully by Christmas, things will be better.

I don't believe anyone is being a bad mom or person. These are rough times. All we can do is be as responsible and safe as we can. In the real world however, there's always exception. All we can do is try to minimize the number of them. My Dad lives with his brother and they don't really get along. My Dad and I have short visits either here or his house. About once a week or two he'll have dinner here. Yes, he is not in my household. I realize the numbers are going up but given the numbers against the total population I'm not as scared as I was back in March/April. He was going stir crazy being isolated to the point where he was trying to develop a "friendship" with a scammer! :scared: We just try to minize the risks elsewhere by not seeing other friends (lots of phone convos) and keeping our shopping/health needs at minimum to compensate. All everyone can do is the best they can.

I truly believe the guidance issued this week about Thanksgiving is to keep the large (see you twice a year) get-togethers from happening. I heard an epidemiologist this morning on the radio describe an appropriate group as people you see regularly (ie weekly or a few times a week). I like that definition so I'm sticking with that.

Like others have said I'm glad I don't have to feel the pressure to get together with the extended family this year. Simpler is so much easier.

I am actually hoping this 10-ish person guideline is around at Christmas. Our Christmas Eve is always to hectic - dinner at my MILs, hopping from there to church, then to extended family friends' house until like 12am and DH doesn't attend this part so we get separated after dinner and I hate that. Who knows how Christmas Eve Mass will even work this year as our church is quite large and gets filled even into the balcony on regular years.

Maybe it's time to make new holiday traditions...

I am actually hoping this 10-ish person guideline is around at Christmas. Our Christmas Eve is always to hectic - dinner at my MILs, hopping from there to church, then to extended family friends' house until like 12am and DH doesn't attend this part so we get separated after dinner and I hate that. Who knows how Christmas Eve Mass will even work this year as our church is quite large and gets filled even into the balcony on regular years.

Maybe it's time to make new holiday traditions...
My Christmas Eve consists of about 50 people gathered at our house for a buffet and a chat of how our year went. I have just informed everyone that this will (obviously) not be happening this year. It's sad as it is a thirty year tradition but it can't be helped. I'm now making myself happy thinking of all the things I won't have to do such as preparing a buffet for 50 people and purchasing gifts for all the children and females who came, packaging bags of candy and making sure everything is wrapped. The money savings alone will pay for my next vacation, lol.
Christmas dinner used to be here as well for about 20 however a few years ago my DIL decided she would like to host dinner for a few of us so we went with that. I don't think she actually understood how much work went into Christmas dinner. This year she has said she isn't going to have dinner either so I think I will take that back for just the immediate family, so 8 of us. I just can't see having Christmas without my family, it would be to sad.

/T Off topic

You are an awesome Momma for thinking outside the box! You need to do what is best for all of YOU!!!!! It is NOT exactly like you are having a big hopla and inviting and Tom, Dick and Sally that you would only once or twice a year. If you want to have your small family for a dinner to celebrate and spend time together, then you should. You need to do what is best for you and your family members

Staying isolated from your loved one to " protect them " is not ideal either. The mental health outcomes from spring are saying that. Metal health is JUST AS important and your physical health. They go hand in hand. The mental aspects from loneliness and isolation are far great reaching that people realize. You need to take that into perspective when deciding what is best for YOUR family.

I know we are traveling this weekend to see our daughter and her family. For us, we need to be together this weekend. We go to work/school then home. It is like we were made to do this isolation thing :rotfl: But in all seriousness, we are doing what we feel is right for us. For us, the risk is low, and we feel like we need to find a balance of some sort of normalcy. At some point, we need to learn to live with the virus and find a balance of safe and continuing some sort of normalcy.

Mine this week was to buy anything using rewards miles in the AM catalogue and get 300AM. I think I’ll do it. I’m 400AM short of Onyx and this will ensure I get it. But what to buy....? lol

So, do you think in these terms and conditions that they really mean ANY Dream reward: https://s3.amazonaws.com/emailsquareknot/SPLASHPAGES/47009_BMO_terms_NEW_DreamReward_E.html?CARD=BMO AIR MILES Mastercard&DATE_START=2020-10-06&DATE_END=2020-10-12&BONUS=300

Because the original email had a link to rewards.airmiles.ca (in pic that's the linked words dream rewards catalogue)

But if I go to Airmiles.ca - I can obviously use my dream miles on say, a magazine sub that only costs 200AM and then get 300 in return? Seems like a much better deal.... lol

(side note, do not want a magazine sub - I was thinking maybe the digital movie rentals or a round of golf)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 1.54.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 1.54.08 PM.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter