Airmiles Armchair Chatter

wow, there's no way i can tag, respond, quote everyone who has reported back today .. there have been 3 pages of posts since i went to bed last night! I constantly check in when i out of the house and respond if i feel someone needs immediate help but dang, busy beavers today!! I had an extremely successful day in the Toronto today but NOTHING Airmiles related worked out AT ALL!! I went to 3 Rexalls to get me some free cake and a gift card from the pharmacist and they all had tables set up but no cake and only would give me the gift card if i transferred my scripts, uhm NOT happening and that isn't what the flyer says i need to do, finally bought a drink so i could get my card swiped to enter the contest. The Urban Fresh was a bust and Metro is our regular shop on Sunday so just grabbed a flyer.

HOWEVER, bought hubby a $70 towel at the Bay and ended up paying $17 for it because it was on sale 40% off plus another 15% if i used my HBC credit card AND i had $20 worth of gift cards thru my HBC points. Stopped at Bath & Body Works and picked up 3 christmas hand soaps, 5 bath bombs and they were all 75% off so pay $15 for those. Stopped in the Carlton that's closing and got a Dumbo ornament & stuffed Piglet for my DIS friend who loves both of them since it was 80% off that cost $9.

Home now and too tired to head to Sobeys and only end up frustrated so once again, no Blue Friday for the Duck!

no gastritis flare up? sounds like a great blue friday for you!

Just back from sobeys. Spent $40 and earned 105 miles (top dogs, coke, smart ones) and a rain check for 4 barilla pastas, so another 100 miles.

Then I went to Lawtons for the $35/95 miles in our compliments products. I was short by .50! I did a little 'oh no!' Out loud lol

The cashier wasnt busy and did a full return for me so I could hit dollar amount. God love her. I must have hit further discounts at the cash be because I alway use my calculator.

Before my dismal blue Friday shop at Sobeys, I went to Rexall to take advantage of the spend $50 get 100 AM. I pick up a few things, including a pack of toothbrush heads for my electric toothbrush and there was a yellow security tag on it. I get to the cash and everything scans properly, but the security tag is so new, no one knows how to open it. It took a 4th person to get it off, them I wanted to use the e-gift card I had bought through eBay? about a month or so ago, and again she had to call someone up because it was the first one they had ever seen. Everyone learned new things today!

Finally! I got a spend threshold offer from PC Optimum for Superstore, $100/10,000 pts! Since the merger, I don't get half as many good offers. And I also have an offer for $15 in produce get 4,000 pts and many other good individual offers. Between this and Blue Friday and Lawton's, I'd say I'll be working the systems pretty darn good!

Spent $102 and got 240 AM so not bad. Good enough to justify going to Sobeys instead of my new fave FreshCo. :)

That being said I have to admit the zucchini and other produce at FreshCo last week were so much better... and way cheaper than Sobeys!

Picked up the Italpasta, Classico sauce, Prime chicken wings (might as well pick some up at $7.99 per box for the Superbowl?), and 2 other misc flyer or targeted offers.

1 day 2 Park UO tickets are back up! Valid only up to 9 months though so I can't order for my trip in Nov just yet.

They are 2375AM each. Were 2350AM last year - as I had the cost in AM on my spreadsheet! Barely any difference but odd.

--

Once I redeem for these I cannot wait to get one of those stand mixers from the AM rewards :) by then the STB miles should have posted and I should have about enough to!

Got to say a big thank you to TFC_UNTIL_I_DIE , as I was the other guy at the Terry Fox store. He let me split with him what was left in the pasta aisle and showed me the other spot where they had more. As I went to the cash, I think the manager and the cashier were talking about putting a limit as that they were almost out of pasta. So maybe they might put a limit per customer...

I have been reading on this forum for a while now, especially on the Canadian/Airmiles but never posted. Just wanted to mention that the people here a great. Since September 2017, I accumulated a LOT of Airmiles thanks this group. Thank you everybody!!!
WOW! You chose the best place for your first post :welcome: to the hunt, I'm glad you came out from the shadows to join in the chatter. This is a great community and i love reading how we're helping each other, even in person now!!!

1 day 2 Park UO tickets are back up! Valid only up to 9 months though so I can't order for my trip in Nov just yet.

They are 2375AM each. Were 2350AM last year - as I had the cost in AM on my spreadsheet! Barely any difference but odd.

They likely set the air miles value based on the exchange rate.

Question for anyone who might have the Amex or Bmo airmiles credit cards. Do you earn airmiles on gift card purchases? Specifically, when Sobeys/Foodland do the promo where you buy a $150 gift card and get 150 airmiles, does that gift card also qualify for the 2x the points ( or whatever multiplier) you get for using the card at airmiles sponsors ? Or are gift cards excluded ?
Just trying to do some comparison to see which card is best for us.

Question for anyone who might have the Amex or Bmo airmiles credit cards. Do you earn airmiles on gift card purchases? Specifically, when Sobeys/Foodland do the promo where you buy a $150 gift card and get 150 airmiles, does that gift card also qualify for the 2x the points ( or whatever multiplier) you get for using the card at airmiles sponsors ? Or are gift cards excluded ?

Yup, they don't care what you bought. They have different codes for each type of business but that's as far as it goes. Sooo a grocery store, gas station, drug store all have different merchant type code. Of course it's easy for them to tell which are sponsors to be able to give you the extra miles.

Did Sobeys this morning at "rope drop" and still no Ready to go pasta. Not sure why they would extend the sale until Sunday if they have shipping issues. My only thought is they know its coming tomorrow, otherwise why prolong a promo that failed??? I may try again tomorrow.

Picked up chicken breasts (sale), bakery bagels (10am for 6@.59) and Tim's Mint Chocolate and White Hot Chocolate regular size cans (10am wub 2 @ $3.99 reg $4.99), Tim's hot chocolate likely left from Christmas but expires 2020. 40am spent $33.

Last edited:
Yup, they don't care what you bought. They have different codes for each type of business but that's as far as it goes. Sooo a grocery store, gas station, drug store all have different merchant type code. Of course it's easy for them to tell which are sponsors to be able to give you the extra miles.
Thank you. That helps me narrow down the card search.

A couple of questions. Are you allowed to purchase gift cards with credit cards?

If you get 2x the points for purchasing the $150 gift card with whichever AM CC that is, you get 300 miles for each gift card purchased? So instead of 750 miles (5 gift cards) you get 1,500?

Nice! I have been thinking of changing our CC so I need to look into this as well.

A couple of questions. Are you allowed to purchase gift cards with credit cards?

If you get 2x the points for purchasing the $150 gift card with whichever AM CC that is, you get 300 miles for each gift card purchased? So instead of 750 miles (5 gift cards) you get 1,500?

Nice! I have been thinking of changing our CC so I need to look into this as well.

No, the 2 times refers to the rate you earn with that credit card. For example if you earn 1 mile per $20 spent on that card you would earn 2 miles for $20 at a sponsor if that's what your card says. Make sense?

And yes, you can buy gift cards with your credit card, that's what we've always done, never carry much cash around!

Yes, you can purchase gift cards with a credit card.
2X would not work out to 300. depending on the cc you would get 1 AM for every $10, $15 or $20 spend so a possible 30 AM for a $150 GC.

Some one will correct me if I'm wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter