Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Reading all these posts has inspired me to up my walking game. I walk the dog everyday (she likes to walk fast) but I limit my outdoor walking to that until the snow goes. I fell earlier this year and I feel I'm just getting too old to put up with walking in -30C. I decided to get a treadmill but haven't done anything about it yet. There's a Planet Fitness a 5 min drive away. Maybe I should join there and try the treadmill out there first.:scratchin I've always walked outside so I'm not 100% certain I'm a treadmill kind of person.

Once again I learned something new today.

I may try this at home,,I googled *Hdrolfe*'s suggestion--Thank-you!
One mile happy walk

Thanks everyone for your help and ideas.
Hugs
Mel

I use a walk at home app “Your Daily Walk” - and it’s the same woman. She has all kinds of “walks”, different times, lengths and degrees of difficulty. I think I pay $6.99/mo, and I really like it.

I have a membership at the Y where I walk or swim, but sometimes I just don’t feel like going out, so I use the app.

Reading all these posts has inspired me to up my walking game. I walk the dog everyday (she likes to walk fast) but I limit my outdoor walking to that until the snow goes. I fell earlier this year and I feel I'm just getting too old to put up with walking in -30C. I decided to get a treadmill but haven't done anything about it yet. There's a Planet Fitness a 5 min drive away. Maybe I should join there and try the treadmill out there first.:scratchin I've always walked outside so I'm not 100% certain I'm a treadmill kind of person.

I didn't think I would like the treadmill either but I was surprised! For the winter months, it's an awesome alternative. No more slipping in the snow or on ice or freezing or stuffing my pockets full of kleenex! Plus I can read again while I walk.

Great ideas ,,
I don't have a treadmill anymore--kind of wish we hadn't gotten rid of it when we renovated.
I was thinking about the Mall,,there is one on the way home that has more corporate business than shops that might work,,,yeah I can be tempted to shop.
Bundling up unfortunately isn't an option with my skin condition,,I'm still wearing 100% cotton capris and t-shirts with cotton hoodies.
The sad thing is my skin really needs the moist cool air.

I just Googled and found out that my local Rec center that was recently renovated now has this:

The newest feature is the 2 lane walking track located directly in the fitness area with a view of Lake. The track is an excellent indoor alternative workout including warm ups or short walks. It is a safe and climate controlled walking environment year round.
I might give them a call and get more information.

I may try this at home,,I googled *Hdrolfe*'s suggestion--Thank-you!
One mile happy walk

Thanks everyone for your help and ideas.
Hugs
Mel

Yes - Leslie is awesome! She has so many DVD's or just youtube videos as well. Range from easy 1 milers to 5 miles at a brisk pace. Whenever I fall off the wagon and restart, I start with her workouts. I like that she uses 4 basic moves so I don't get confused :)

I use to walk 2 km in the morning and 2 km in the afternoon bringing the kids back-and-forth to school, until they grew too old to need me for that. Then I would just go out for a 5 km walk myself.

I stopped walking outside in the winter once I fell and broke bones in my hand/fingers. Last winter (Jan 2018) I joined Planet Fitness ($10 a month) and started going 5-6 days a week to use their treadmill. I really needed to start walking again but there was no way I was going to walk outside. Turns out I enjoyed the treadmill more than I thought. As long as I can walk & read a book at the same time, works for me! I stopped going in October and started up again this week.

My friend (she & I walk outside in the summer together) goes to a recreation centre and uses their indoor track during the winter months. She doesn't like the treadmill but likes that she can switch up walking and/or running on the track. I was going to suggest that when I saw your initial post so I'm glad you found that information.

EDITED: Jan 2018! I started the gym in 2018, not 2017. I forgot we're in 2019 now.

I go to Planet Fitness which starts at $10 per month (pretty sure that's the price everywhere). For me it is convenient as it's on my bus route home from work. I don't do any intense workouts at all and I cannot run. I do 30 mins of the elliptical trainer as that is what I love to do! :)

I use a walk at home app “Your Daily Walk” - and it’s the same woman. She has all kinds of “walks”, different times, lengths and degrees of difficulty. I think I pay $6.99/mo, and I really like it.

I have a membership at the Y where I walk or swim, but sometimes I just don’t feel like going out, so I use the app.

So many Planet Fitness members... there is one near where I work. I wonder if I could do it at lunch. With kiddo I can't really leave him home alone for any length of time as he is still too young. I do walk the dog when the weather is nice but that's no more than 20 minutes. My goal is to get walking now so in spring I will be able to start jogging. Kiddo wants to be on the track and field team so he'll need some practice. Any way!

I wish I had a check in or something to keep me accountable. I had a group on facebook but we all faded away. I had friends with fitbits but then I got a garmin instead.

I need to get back to the gym. I work in one, so I have no excuse - I don’t even have to pay a membership fee! I tried the C25K, but running just caused shin splints, but I can walk for long distances without issues, I just need to do it!

If anyone is interested, maybe we could have a fitness thread here?

Congrats on the weight loss!! I regained at least half of mine once I stopped the treadmill. Ugh. Can't wait to lose it again. And do I ever envy you people on the ellipticals. :worship: I tried it a few times and discovered it really gives your body a workout! They look so easy to use I had no idea! I barely made it to 5 minutes. :rotfl2: My goal this year is when I hit a 25 lb loss, I'll add in the elliptical. 5 minutes on the elliptical then straight to the treadmill. Maybe I'll be able to work my way up.
I went WFPB August 1st and lost 25 lbs before I went on our 14 day sailing on the Symphony. That seems to be where it was hiding as I found 15 of it before I came home, lol. Why does weight always feel like we are trying to find it and it needs to come back home to rest?
Back to WFPB as of Jan. 1st and down 5 lbs so I'll get back there, just watch!! ;)

:tilt: My first time walking a mile,,,,,,,,,,,:tilt:
I wrapped my legs with a layer of cream and saran wrap,,put a coat on and off I went.
I wore a pair of cotton long pajamas but my coat is so long I am sure no one really noticed that I was wearing Pj's,,,at least I hope not.
Stopped half way and put my hood up and wrapped a scarf around it,,,need to buy a hat.
Also need to take kleenex with me .:o
I would love it if someone started a fitness thread please.
Hugs
Mel

Last edited:

I just watch a part of the happy milk walk video and I like it. I never thought of searching for anything like this. I can do these at home on days were I feel like I just can't get to PF or miss it for some reason. I'll have to look up Your Daily Walk as well.

I need to get back to the gym. I work in one, so I have no excuse - I don’t even have to pay a membership fee! I tried the C25K, but running just caused shin splints, but I can walk for long distances without issues, I just need to do it!

If anyone is interested, maybe we could have a fitness thread here?

I'd love a fitness thread. If we had one maybe we can keep each other encouraged to keep active more.

I would be SO in for a fitness thread! I have gained a lot of weight in the last three years or so and I’m miserable about it . I have two weddings coming up this year and I am a bridesmaid for my sisters. I would love feel good in the dress and not be unhappy with all the pictures I’m in .
I don’t feel healthy or good about myself and it’s time for a change .

Just popping in to say how much i LOVE THIS GROUP! I never could have dreamed that spying an offer in a Rexall flyer for bonus miles when you bought a Visa gift card would lead to such a great community of people from one coast to the other. You all make me feel so happy when i sit here and read about your lives, hear how your hunting trips worked (or failed spectacularly ), watch families expand to welcome new babies, follow along with renovations to both houses & lives, anticipate trips to Disney, cruises and cross our country, and just general chatter. Of course we're all working the programme and doing our utmost to grow our AM accounts, but i really love this added bonus of family I've discovered!

To all you fitness buffs, both newbies & veterans, GO FOR IT! I know i should move my body more than i do but seriously lack the motivation ... days i head into the city, sure i walk a LOT but on most days I often don't even open the front door :eek: I'm not committing to joining a thread dedicated to this "movement" (see what i did there :P ) but I'll check in and follow along and maybe, just maybe, get some much needed motivation!

When is the next expected Airmiles promo. I can’t recall if there is one in the spring or not!

Melissa

Next one coming will be Mega miles but it's anyone's guess as to which month exactly it's been March April and one year it was May. Keep an eye open here for sure we'll be talking about it as soon as the rumors start flying but you got a few months yet.

I would be SO in for a fitness thread! I have gained a lot of weight in the last three years or so and I’m miserable about it . I have two weddings coming up this year and I am a bridesmaid for my sisters. I would love feel good in the dress and not be unhappy with all the pictures I’m in .
I don’t feel healthy or good about myself and it’s time for a change .
I agree! I lost a whole bunch of weight (65lbs) and now I’ve gained back about 30 and I’m miserable about it.
I don’t want to buy any clothes or anything until I lose some again.

We walk at night (our kids are older) but even that doesn’t seem to be enough, I need to add something new

Weight loss is mainly due to your food intake. Yes, exercise helps it come off and tones your muscles therefore shaping your body, but you could have all the muscle in the world and no one will see if there is fat over it.

Right now, I am focusing on losing about 10 lbs via portion control before Mexico (by the end of April), but I'd love to lose 15 lbs!!! (that will never happen). I'm not motivated for home exercise. I play competitive soccer, but that's only once per week, but wish it was two!

On the weight loss front. My DH and I both lost weight 2016/2017 without even trying. He was diagnosed as borderline diabetic (family history) and had to change his eating habits. The doctor gave him 3 months to see if he could control it through diet before she escalated things. DH had to cut his carbs drastically, no pasta or rice. Very little bread or potatoes. Those where the only things that changed. He lost 18llbs and I lost 13llbs. I don't even have to do this but it was just easier to follow along because I wasn't making separate meals. I still pretty much eat what I want but not having those options at home for meals makes a HUGE difference. The first time I noticed how different I felt was when DD and I went to WDW for March Break 2017. After a couple of days of not eating the way we do at home I felt sluggish and in general unwell.

LOL....I know that DH eats the things he's not supposed to when he's at work or when I'm not around. He NEVER once has taking time to educate himself on what he can and cannot eat. It has been a very sore spot with me and the source of many arguments. He gets positively evil when I tell him he can't eat something but then when I tell him to either educate himself on the subject or shut up and take it....he totally backs down. Men are such children...he hides food in his lunch bag or in the basement. I catch him every time and he never clues in that I check.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter