Airmiles Armchair Chatter

A problem that could pop up is if you decide to buy those 5 gift cards in 5 separate transactions. That could send an alert to your credit card company as a potential fraud. Or certain stores may refuse to do it that way without asking for government issued ID since it comes really close to what looks like money laundering if that makes sense. Once they've sold those gift cards they're out the money.

Time to tighten the budget! I now have Disney booked for this August and a cruise for March 2020. Airmiles for the March flights would be awesome, and a hotel pre cruise as well. I think I'll be shopping at the cheaper stores unless it's a big Blue Friday type deal, or awesome rexall deal. We will, after all, need travel sized stuff and sunscreen for both trips. At least when Sobeys has those gift cards deals I can get one and use it at FreshCo, which is right near work so that's perfect!

Also time to amp up the exercise plans... so much walking at Disney and I'd like to fit the rides a little better than past trips. I'm excited!

Did Sobeys this morning at "rope drop" and still no Ready to go pasta. Not sure why they would extend the sale until Sunday if they have shipping issues. My only thought is they know its coming tomorrow, otherwise why prolong a promo that failed??? I may try again tomorrow.

Picked up chicken breasts (sale), bakery bagels (10am for 6@.59) and Tim's Mint Chocolate and White Hot Chocolate regular size cans (10am wub 2 @ $3.99 reg $4.99), Tim's hot chocolate likely left from Christmas but expires 2020. 40am spent $33.

I went back to sobeys today too, still no pasta, but the sign was up saying the offer was extended so I went to customer service for a rain check. Lady checked the flyer, said it was Friday only. I explained there was a sign up with the price adjustment and extension. She took my word for it, and wrote up the rain check for 10 packs. I didn’t notice till I was back in my car that she used the flyer price, I’ll take it, I know I was upfront about the difference :)

I went back to sobeys today too, still no pasta, but the sign was up saying the offer was extended so I went to customer service for a rain check. Lady checked the flyer, said it was Friday only. I explained there was a sign up with the price adjustment and extension. She took my word for it, and wrote up the rain check for 10 packs. I didn’t notice till I was back in my car that she used the flyer price, I’ll take it, I know I was upfront about the difference :)

I picked up rainchecks yesterday at two stores, the first I corrected the price for them, they gave me three rainchecks of 10, one for each type, I feel that was very generous. The second I didn't say anything, students arrived so lunch lineups were forming behind me so I didn't notice until I was walking away, I was making sure the airmiles were listed. Their policy was limit 6 but she decided to give me two rainchecks. When they asked me how many I wanted, both times I just said I'll take whatever you're willing to give. Not sure they'll honour the $2 price, as long as they accept the raincheck, I'll be happy.

All we need now is stock.

A problem that could pop up is if you decide to buy those 5 gift cards in 5 separate transactions. That could send an alert to your credit card company as a potential fraud. Or certain stores may refuse to do it that way without asking for government issued ID since it comes really close to what looks like money laundering if that makes sense. Once they've sold those gift cards they're out the money.

I routinely purchase GC at Sobeys and Foodland using my CC. The regular cashiers know me so there isn't an issue with showing ID anymore but when I started out they asked for ID and I was perfectly fine having to show it. I'm not hiding anything purchasing the CG and I actually feel better knowing that they care enough to make sure I'm who my credit card says I am.

I've made my purchases both ways sometimes individually sometimes all in one group. Some CC are more sensitive about potential fraud alerts than others. I haven't had an issue yet.

No, the 2 times refers to the rate you earn with that credit card. For example if you earn 1 mile per $20 spent on that card you would earn 2 miles for $20 at a sponsor if that's what your card says. Make sense?

And yes, you can buy gift cards with your credit card, that's what we've always done, never carry much cash around!

Yes, you can purchase gift cards with a credit card.
2X would not work out to 300. depending on the cc you would get 1 AM for every $10, $15 or $20 spend so a possible 30 AM for a $150 GC.

Some one will correct me if I'm wrong.

lol I feel like an idiot. That makes much more sense. Besides, the CC company would have no way of knowing how many air miles I earned on my purchase. Thanks!

I routinely purchase GC at Sobeys and Foodland using my CC. The regular cashiers know me so there isn't an issue with showing ID anymore but when I started out they asked for ID and I was perfectly fine having to show it. I'm not hiding anything purchasing the CG and I actually feel better knowing that they care enough to make sure I'm who my credit card says I am.

I've made my purchases both ways sometimes individually sometimes all in one group. Some CC are more sensitive about potential fraud alerts than others. I haven't had an issue yet.

I had that happen to me with my debit card. Not the last time Sobey's and Foodland did this, but the second last time. My bank stopped my debit card after I made five $150 purchases at Sobey's and then five $150 at Foodland.
The next time I phoned the bank first and told them what I was about to do so they wouldn't stop my debit card. It was nice to know they were on the ball with that however!

Time to tighten the budget! I now have Disney booked for this August and a cruise for March 2020. Airmiles for the March flights would be awesome, and a hotel pre cruise as well. I think I'll be shopping at the cheaper stores unless it's a big Blue Friday type deal, or awesome rexall deal. We will, after all, need travel sized stuff and sunscreen for both trips. At least when Sobeys has those gift cards deals I can get one and use it at FreshCo, which is right near work so that's perfect!

Also time to amp up the exercise plans... so much walking at Disney and I'd like to fit the rides a little better than past trips. I'm excited!

Yes! My walking completely stopped towards the end of last year. I started up again for our August trip.

O/T (off topic)
Getting in more exercise for Disney
Ok inquiring minds need to know where do you walk in this freezing cold weather?
I have to make a commitment to doing more walking each day but boy it's cold out there.
Hugs
Mel
SklDs8.gif

289.gif

O/T (off topic)
Ok inquiring minds need to know where do you walk in this freezing cold weather?
I have to make a commitment to doing more walking each day but boy it's cold out there.
Hugs
Mel
SklDs8.gif

289.gif

I walk inside for the most part. I do "walk away the pounds" style workouts and get outside for walks when I can. I am scared of falling so I don't like to go when it might be slippery :) I have a vivofit that tracks my steps and sets a goal based on how many I have gotten. I wish I had a treadmill!

For me its called a 'treadmill'. :-) Even with the sun out it is wayyyyy to cold for me.

Could walk in the mall?

Just don't shop :teeth: I actually go walking in the cold and snow. Just bundle up with long johns, hat and warm coat.

Great ideas ,,
I don't have a treadmill anymore--kind of wish we hadn't gotten rid of it when we renovated.
I was thinking about the Mall,,there is one on the way home that has more corporate business than shops that might work,,,yeah I can be tempted to shop.
Bundling up unfortunately isn't an option with my skin condition,,I'm still wearing 100% cotton capris and t-shirts with cotton hoodies.
The sad thing is my skin really needs the moist cool air.

I just Googled and found out that my local Rec center that was recently renovated now has this:

The newest feature is the 2 lane walking track located directly in the fitness area with a view of Lake. The track is an excellent indoor alternative workout including warm ups or short walks. It is a safe and climate controlled walking environment year round.
I might give them a call and get more information.

I may try this at home,,I googled *Hdrolfe*'s suggestion--Thank-you!
One mile happy walk

Thanks everyone for your help and ideas.
Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
O/T (off topic)
Hugs
Mel

Great ideas ,,
I don't have a treadmill anymore--kind of wish we hadn't gotten rid of it when we renovated.
I was thinking about the Mall,,there is one on the way home that has more corporate business than shops that might work,,,yeah I can be tempted to shop.
Bundling up unfortunately isn't an option with my skin condition,,I'm still wearing 100% cotton capris and t-shirts with cotton hoodies.
The sad thing is my skin really needs the moist cool air.

I just Googled and found out that my local Rec center that was recently renovated now has this:

The newest feature is the 2 lane walking track located directly in the fitness area with a view of Lake. The track is an excellent indoor alternative workout including warm ups or short walks. It is a safe and climate controlled walking environment year round.
I might give them a call and get more information.

I may try this at home

Thanks everyone for your help and ideas.
Hugs
Mel

I use to walk 2 km in the morning and 2 km in the afternoon bringing the kids back-and-forth to school, until they grew too old to need me for that. Then I would just go out for a 5 km walk myself.

I stopped walking outside in the winter once I fell and broke bones in my hand/fingers. Last winter (Jan 2018) I joined Planet Fitness ($10 a month) and started going 5-6 days a week to use their treadmill. I really needed to start walking again but there was no way I was going to walk outside. Turns out I enjoyed the treadmill more than I thought. As long as I can walk & read a book at the same time, works for me! I stopped going in October and started up again this week.

My friend (she & I walk outside in the summer together) goes to a recreation centre and uses their indoor track during the winter months. She doesn't like the treadmill but likes that she can switch up walking and/or running on the track. I was going to suggest that when I saw your initial post so I'm glad you found that information.

EDITED: Jan 2018! I started the gym in 2018, not 2017. I forgot we're in 2019 now.

Last edited:
I use to walk 2 km in the morning and 2 km in the afternoon bringing the kids back-and-forth to school, until they grew too old to need me for that. Then I would just go out for a 5 km walk myself.

I stopped walking outside in the winter once I fell and broke bones in my hand/fingers. Last winter (Jan 2017) I joined Planet Fitness ($10 a month) and started going 5-6 days a week to use their treadmill. I really needed to start walking again but there was no way I was going to walk outside. Turns out I enjoyed the treadmill more than I thought. As long as I can walk & read a book at the same time, works for me! I stopped going in October and started up again this week.

My friend (she & I walk outside in the summer together) goes to a recreation centre and uses their indoor track during the winter months. She doesn't like the treadmill but likes that she can switch up walking and/or running on the track. I was going to suggest that when I saw your initial post so I'm glad you found that information.

Thank-you
you guys are great,,it is so nice to hear what other people have tried and what they are doing.
I found that the walking in Disney made me feel so much better and promised myself that when I got home I'd try to find a way to keep it up.
I will also look into some fitness centres near me. I do love to read.
Thanks for sharing with me.
Hugs
Mel

When my friend was recovering from heart surgery and needed to walk she went to her local gym and just walked around the walking track. My rec centre has a program where you can borrow a pedometer and walk the walking track but the sad part for me is I would have to walk there first in the cold so I guess I am stuck with the walking outside.

UM - this sounds exactly like me minus the Cruise plans for 2020! Eating healthier and working out specifically with my NOV WDW trip in mind. I have lost 17lbs since October.

And trying to save money this year over earning AM unless there is a crazy good promo. :) Way to go!

O/T (off topic)
Hugs
Mel
SklDs8.gif

289.gif
I go to Planet Fitness which starts at $10 per month (pretty sure that's the price everywhere). For me it is convenient as it's on my bus route home from work. I don't do any intense workouts at all and I cannot run. I do 30 mins of the elliptical trainer as that is what I love to do! :)

Thank-you
you guys are great,,it is so nice to hear what other people have tried and what they are doing.
I found that the walking in Disney made me feel so much better and promised myself that when I got home I'd try to find a way to keep it up.
I will also look into some fitness centres near me. I do love to read.
Thanks for sharing with me.
Hugs
Mel

grin - it might sound strange but seriously I get up on the treadmill for an hour with my e-reader. I need to hold my e-reader though. I could put it on the little ledge/shelf but then it's too far away for me to read easily. But I have no trouble holding it to read while I walk. I just switch hands every 10 minutes or so.

And seriously I had no idea just HOW good walking is for a body. I mean, I know it's good heart-wise but I have always had back issues. Last year, when I was using the treadmill 5-6 days a week for the first 4 months before my cruise, my back issues disappeared! My joints all felt looser; I didn't feel as stiff; felt more flexible; my back stopped threatening to throw out on me; and I stopped waking up to back pain!! During last year I discovered if I stopped the treadmill too many days in a row the back pain would start to come back. I pretty much stopped the treadmill Oct-Dec and I feel bloated, stiff and my back hurts again. Ohh, something I should mention. I found the first week or two of using the treadmill every day difficult in terms of my back. My back would give out twinges, or warnings, sometimes a jolt. My husband would want me to quit the treadmill when that happened and rest my back. I refused (I really wanted to lose some weight) and just lowered the walking speed. After a couple of weeks that all went away! I'm convinced my body/back just needed to adjust and gain some core muscle/strength. If you have an issue, I really recommend lowering the walking speed (or slowing down for walking on a track) and continuing rather than stopping.

UM - this sounds exactly like me minus the Cruise plans for 2020! Eating healthier and working out specifically with my NOV WDW trip in mind. I have lost 17lbs since October.

And trying to save money this year over earning AM unless there is a crazy good promo. :) Way to go!

I go to Planet Fitness which starts at $10 per month (pretty sure that's the price everywhere). For me it is convenient as it's on my bus route home from work. I don't do any intense workouts at all and I cannot run. I do 30 mins of the elliptical trainer as that is what I love to do! :)

Congrats on the weight loss!! I regained at least half of mine once I stopped the treadmill. Ugh. Can't wait to lose it again. And do I ever envy you people on the ellipticals. :worship: I tried it a few times and discovered it really gives your body a workout! They look so easy to use I had no idea! I barely made it to 5 minutes. :rotfl2: My goal this year is when I hit a 25 lb loss, I'll add in the elliptical. 5 minutes on the elliptical then straight to the treadmill. Maybe I'll be able to work my way up.

As I mentioned my friend prefers to go to an indoor track. Last year while I wanted just walking, she was more into running and didn't want to do that on a treadmill. So she goes to the Oshawa Civic Dome as it's the closest indoor track to us. However, it costs $4.70 per DAY to use the track. Or $42 for 10 admissions. Or $99 for 3 months.

As reluctant as I was to try a treadmill, the price at Planet Fitness made me try it out. I'm so glad I did. I can't believe they only charge $10 a month when Goodlife Fitness, our local city recreation complex centres and the YMCA charge so much more that they are unaffordable. Bonus that it's so damn close to me. If I had to drive to Oshawa, I wouldn't have joined.

Does anyone here go to the Bowmanville location besides me?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter