Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Could really use a Sobeys or Foodland gift card promotion, feels like it's been awhile -does anybody know when the next one might be?

Last year there was one Mar 16-18 2018, 3 day sale. I'm away this year during that time but am leaving the airmiles cards and detailed instructions with my husband just in case. Fingers crossed!

SOBEYS 2018 LAST YEAR'S FLYER:
https://flyers.smartcanucks.ca/canada/sobeys-on-flyer-march-15-to-21

Sidenote: Smartcanucks keeps archives of flyers, it's an awesome resource when you really need to know something, 7 year history!

Last edited:
[QUOTE="bababear_50, post: 60295057, member: 138340"

I got my three piece luggage set from airmiles today--whoooo very nice,,love them.
Very well wrapped and the middle size one has a weight indicator.
Delivered by UPS.
images

Hugs
Mel[/QUOTE]

Oh I didn't realize you bought, I was so tempted ended up getting a single bag at The Bay the same week as I only really needed a large one. Kind of wishing I had a new small carry-on one too.

Hope yours get used soon!

[QUOTE="bababear_50, post: 60295057, member: 138340"

I got my three piece luggage set from airmiles today--whoooo very nice,,love them.
Delivered by UPS.
images

Hugs
Mel

Oh I didn't realize you bought, I was so tempted ended up getting a single bag at The Bay the same week as I only really needed a large one. Kind of wishing I had a new small carry-on one too.

Hope yours get used soon![/QUOTE]

Yep it will get used for March Break,,,it will be my first attempt at packing everything in a Carry on bag......my sons tell me I can do this,,,I am a tad bit uncertain but I am going to try. I do have the use of a washer and dryer at the resort so maybe................BUT where will I put souvenirs???lol.
Hugs
Mel

Hope yours get used soon!

Yep it will get used for March Break,,,it will be my first attempt at packing everything in a Carry on bag......my sons tell me I can do this,,,I am a tad bit uncertain but I am going to try. I do have the use of a washer and dryer at the resort so maybe................BUT where will I put souvenirs???lol.
Hugs
Mel[/QUOTE]

I think you will surprise yourself. Last year I went to Europe for two weeks on WOW air where you pay for everything. I went with a personal item bag (no checked bag or carryon, extra charges for those) and maximized every inch of the allowance. Not my preferred way to travel but I figured worse case, I'm going shopping! This year, AerLingus hence the new full-size suitcase.

Ya, souvenirs all have to be small.

The latest, most exotic vacation I've seen: I was looking through a cruise brochure with my MIL and there was a 3ish week itinerary to Antarctica. WHAT?! :sail: It was WICKED expensive, but...can you imagine?!

edited to say the cruise is 3 weeks, not 30...

Years ago, my kids' pedatrician's nurse (and her husband) took a 30 DAY cruise! Could you imagine? An entire month!

Could really use a Sobeys or Foodland gift card promotion, feels like it's been awhile -does anybody know when the next one might be?

Me too! I have one grocery store $150 gift card left and 0 Shell give cards. I'm ready for the next promotion!

I decided to pre do some Easter chocolate shopping at Sobeys
45 Oreo cookie chocolate bars,sale price 1.19 each
x 45= 150 airmiles=$53.55
images

Plus I bought $15.00 worth of cookies *for my kids*.=50 airmiles
I checked the expiry date and they are good till Aug 2019.
I'll just tie a cute ribbon around them.

Delivered by UPS.
images

Just mentioning this ---just a gut feeling not something that airmiles has said or done but thought I'd mention it.
I am leery of certain promotions disappearing.....I ordered 4 of the 4 PKgs of movie theater tickets for my guys for Xmas this year and they loved them,,I like that they don't expire.
So last night I ordered another 4 pkgs for next Christmas,,,just incase..Maybe I'm just being weird or over cautious.

Hugs
Mel
Not weird or over cautious - I do the same thing - I've been burned too many times with things disappearing with no notice

I did a carry-on for the first time when we went to California for a week. Coming back it was crammed full and I had the largest personal item bag I could (also crammed). Turns out even though I *thought* I packed light, I could have down without a few pieces of clothing I never did use. (EDITED: it was crammed coming back with all the Universal candy/chocolate, LA and Disney stuff I was bringing back - lol)

I'm amazed with people who can pack a week's worth into a carry-on for a cruise. I was almost in tears last year trying to cram everything in until the decision was made to drive down. I was so relieved as I threw everything into a regular suitcase! :) I need to get better at packing a carry-on.

Hugs
Mel

Make a list and really think about whether or not you need each item. I usually take 2 pairs of shorts, a t-shirt per day and a light hoodie as the basics for my wardrobe. No one is going to see you day after day and know you're wearing the same shorts you wore yesterday.

Roll your clothes (it really works). We travel (on the plane) all the time with only carry-ons. Granted we are traveling to warmer climates and tend to dress casually. The carry-on and a backpack (high school sized) seem to be enough for us. It does limit what you are able to bring back but I still manage to bring back everything I want to. I pack a few snacks in the suitcase or backpack on the way down. That space is used for souvenirs on the way home.

I wear my chunkiest pair of shoes, pants, warm outerlayer on the plane.

Just a few thoughts.:wave2:

I do carry on only when we cruise, I mix kiddos clothes with mine (since his are smaller), but we manage. I even managed to bring back a mexican blanket on one trip, so we had room. Honestly, you probably need less than you think. However, I will be checking a bag when we go to Disney in August, mostly because I like how the bag magically shows up in the room later.

The latest, most exotic vacation I've seen: I was looking through a cruise brochure with my MIL and there was a 3ish week itinerary to Antarctica. WHAT?! :sail: It was WICKED expensive, but...can you imagine?!

edited to say the cruise is 3 weeks, not 30...

Years ago, my kids' pedatrician's nurse (and her husband) took a 30 DAY cruise! Could you imagine? An entire month!

I was very fortunate to spend 34 night onboard the Disney Magic in Norway in 2015....it was not one but 4 cruises back to back...a 7 night Norwegian Fjord, 7 night Baltic (with the Adventures by Disney add on), 9 night Norwegian Fjords, and an 11 night Norway, Iceland, Scotland...it was the most amazing trip ever. It r We started our trip with the 4 night Adventures By Disney Copenhagen Escape. If you ever get the opportunity to do a longer cruise or combine 2 (or more) cruises, it is so worth it...it was so relaxing...however, it did cost me a fortune to get my suitcases home because I did not realize how much I had bought!!!!!

I was very fortunate to spend 34 night onboard the Disney Magic in Norway in 2015....it was not one but 4 cruises back to back...a 7 night Norwegian Fjord, 7 night Baltic (with the Adventures by Disney add on), 9 night Norwegian Fjords, and an 11 night Norway, Iceland, Scotland...it was the most amazing trip ever. It r We started our trip with the 4 night Adventures By Disney Copenhagen Escape. If you ever get the opportunity to do a longer cruise or combine 2 (or more) cruises, it is so worth it...it was so relaxing...however, it did cost me a fortune to get my suitcases home because I did not realize how much I had bought!!!!!

whoa, what an incredible opportunity! sounds like such an amazing adventure and good (if expensive!) memories.

I will be doing a dry run at packing this weekend,,I am sure I will get it all in there somehow,lol.
I like the idea of rolling the clothes,,I do this even when using a regular size suitcase. Packing a few snacks sounds like a great idea.
Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions everyone.
Hugs
Mel

We did carry on for a 7-day Caribbean cruise, so easier in terms of clothing or lack of. What was hard was liquids. We had to buy all of our sunscreen at the port city, so it costed more. Shoes are the real kicker (lol) especially for men. They take up a lot of space in luggage.

I would love some tips on how to pack for a 7 night trip in a carry on...I am the Queen of Overpacking..it is one reason we fly Southwest...2 checked bags free each!!!!

Several weeks ago, (might even be months at this point even) someone was asking for recipes for the Instant Pot. Well, tonight I stumbled on the absolute best and ridiculously easy recipe for mac and cheese!!! 5 ingredients (6 if you count the water) and less then 15 minutes from start to finish (including the time for pressure to rise) Dump the following in the pot and stir to separate the noodles
  • 1 lb. Dry elbow noodles
  • 4 cups boiling water (speed up the pressure building time)
  • Salt
Close the lid, make sure the vent is closed, pressure cook for 4 minutes. Quick release the pressure and then add the following ingredients while stirring (use saute if you want to speed up the process a bit, I didn't need to)
  • 3 TBSP butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 can evaporated milk
  • 3 cups grated cheeses (whatever you like)
Super creamy and great taste, we had 2 large servings and have tons of leftovers that are destined to meet some ham or bacon I think!

I did a carry-on for the first time when we went to California for a week. Coming back it was crammed full and I had the largest personal item bag I could (also crammed). Turns out even though I *thought* I packed light, I could have down without a few pieces of clothing I never did use. (EDITED: it was crammed coming back with all the Universal candy/chocolate, LA and Disney stuff I was bringing back - lol)

I'm amazed with people who can pack a week's worth into a carry-on for a cruise. I was almost in tears last year trying to cram everything in until the decision was made to drive down. I was so relieved as I threw everything into a regular suitcase! :) I need to get better at packing a carry-on.
I did carry on only for our cruise last year. I totally brought a few items we didn’t even need once. Regretted as I wanted to bring them home but didn’t want to take up space instead of souvenirs!

To save space on the way back I threw out a pair of sandals that weren’t very good anymore anyways, and also the striped T-shirt I had bought @ value village for only $2 just for Pirate night. I had brought our WDW refillable mugs but we never used them... but those were from our honeymoon so I had to bring them home. :)

I would say pack 2 less clothing items than you think! And only 2 pairs of shoes: one nice and one comfy. Or just 1 comfy pair if you’re me and you don’t care :)

I would also bring a backpack instead of a purse as your personal item. You can really fill one of those to the brim if need be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter