Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information Superthread (READ FIRST POST FOR OVERVIEW!)

Just booked Karmel for our March trip. I can’t stand Uber/Lyft as I have had too many negative experiences. So disappointed Super Shuttle and the Disneyland Express bus are both going away.

I wound up booking xpress shuttle from john wayne for a lincoln town car. I was going to book through prime time because they have wheelchair accessible vehicles, I couldn't believe some of the reviews I was reading online, People getting canceled on last minute and being stranded at the airport. I looked on there facebook page and same thing. I find it hard to believe how they could stay in business with almost 100 percent bad reviews. Are they really that bad? Xpress shuttle on the other hand has nothing but glowing reviews, so keeping my fingers crossed.

I wound up booking xpress shuttle from john wayne for a lincoln town car. I was going to book through prime time because they have wheelchair accessible vehicles, I couldn't believe some of the reviews I was reading online, People getting canceled on last minute and being stranded at the airport. I looked on there facebook page and same thing. I find it hard to believe how they could stay in business with almost 100 percent bad reviews. Are they really that bad? Xpress shuttle on the other hand has nothing but glowing reviews, so keeping my fingers crossed.
Ok, now I’m worried about having booked Prime Time. I swear I did a search to check reviews last week & saw positive comments. But, I think that was just on this site. Now when I search online, I see what you saw & it’s all bad.

Karmel will not quote me less than $140.00 each way for 2 people. No way am I’m I paying $280.00 round trip.

Can anyone tell me how Uber works at LAX. I’ve only ever used Uber a few times for the 5 minute ride to a tiny airport by my house. So, I’m not the most familiar with it overall & especially at a huge airport. I tried to pre-schedule a trip like I would when traveling around here & it said “ride scheduling is not available in this area at this time”. Do you have to pre-schedule Uber at a big airport like that or are they all lined up waiting for the next customer like taxis do? Our arrival flight gets in at midnight, so I really don’t want to end up at the airport with no confirmed ride, just trying to wing it.

Ok, now I’m worried about having booked Prime Time. I swear I did a search to check reviews last week & saw positive comments. But, I think that was just on this site. Now when I search online, I see what you saw & it’s all bad.
People are far more compelled to write reviews based on negative experiences than they are for positive ones.
I have used Prime Time in the past, and had no issues.

Karmel will not quote me less than $140.00 each way for 2 people. No way am I’m I paying $280.00 round trip.

Can anyone tell me how Uber works at LAX. I’ve only ever used Uber a few times for the 5 minute ride to a tiny airport by my house. So, I’m not the most familiar with it overall & especially at a huge airport. I tried to pre-schedule a trip like I would when traveling around here & it said “ride scheduling is not available in this area at this time”. Do you have to pre-schedule Uber at a big airport like that or are they all lined up waiting for the next customer like taxis do? Our arrival flight gets in at midnight, so I really don’t want to end up at the airport with no confirmed ride, just trying to wing it.
Are you requesting a private vehicle from Karmel? I had an AAA discount that I used with them and reserved a shared van and it is about $65 (I think that includes the tip) for 2 of us from DLR to LAX in February on a Sunday (picking us up late morning). Maybe they charge more depending on time of pick up. Karmel cost a little less than the private vehicle I reserved from Super Shuttle prior to hearing they were going out of business so they are more expensive but I'm fine using a shared van instead of a private vehicle.

People are far more compelled to write reviews based on negative experiences than they are for positive ones.
I have used Prime Time in the past, and had no issues.
That's what I thought but out of so many reviews, but maybe I will try them if xpress shuttle doesn't work out. Otherwise they would be out of business, u would think anyway.

Are you requesting a private vehicle from Karmel? I had an AAA discount that I used with them and reserved a shared van and it is about $65 (I think that includes the tip) for 2 of us from DLR to LAX in February on a Sunday (picking us up late morning). Maybe they charge more depending on time of pick up. Karmel cost a little less than the private vehicle I reserved from Super Shuttle prior to hearing they were going out of business so they are more expensive but I'm fine using a shared van instead of a private vehicle.
No, the pricing was for a shared van. I honestly figured the price was so high because we were arriving at midnight on a Thursday/Fri So, I tried entering just my return trip for a Monday late afternoon & once again it said $140.00 for a shared van.

Although I’m now reconsidering Prime Time, I was able to book a private car with them at midnight for $62.00 (w/ $10.00 coupon). And a shared van going back to the airport for $50.00 (w/ $5.00 coupon).

Super Shuttle and the Airport Bus (now Disneyland Express) were forced to lower their pricing to better compete with Uber/Lyft. Circa 2002, I lived in the Anaheim area, and my co-op required extensive travel. I took Super Shuttle to LAX frequently, and the fare was around $40 each way. 17 years later, the fare dropped to $10 each way, despite LAX now charging hefty per passenger fees. Pretty amazing considering how prices (especially fuel) have risen in that time frame. IMO... these companies ripped people off for years. Good riddance.

With Uber, there's a designated area at LAX. You schedule the ride on-demand through the app. It'll tell you the approximate wait before you book your ride, so you'll have a fair idea of when to pull the trigger to minimize your wait time. Even at midnight, I wouldn't expect to wait more than a few minutes. There are tens of thousands of people who moonlight as Uber/Lyft drivers in SoCal... not only is it an expensive place to live, but plenty of people feel compelled to buy designer clothing and drive a BMW to keep up with the Jones, and need some extra cash to pay for it :).

Now that Super Shuttle no longer goes to SNA, how would you suggest I get to the airport from the Tropicana on Harbor Blvd. at 5 am on a Saturday.

Has anyone recently taken a taxi from John Wayne Airport to DLR? What were the availability, experience, and price like? How about availability and promptness returning to the airport?

Has anyone recently taken a taxi from John Wayne Airport to DLR? What were the availability, experience, and price like? How about availability and promptness returning to the airport?
Availability - line of taxis waiting. Would have been no wait except - I needed a taxi minivan so there was a short wait for one to be called to the taxi curb.
Price - for taxi minivan from SNA to Grand Californian Hotel - about $44 each way (not counting tip)
Experience - no problems. From what I've read here there are cheaper flat rates available, but it depends on the company and type of taxi.
Return trip - if you need a regular taxi you could probably just pick one up in front of your hotel. I called the night before to reserve a taxi minivan.

My original posts earlier in this thread about taxis:
I took a minivan taxi from Yellow Cab Co from SNA to the Grand Californian on Sunday 12/1 and returning on 12/8. When I asked the driver about a flat rate, he said they didn't offer one. The fee before tip was about $44 going and a slightly less than that returning.
Yellow Cab Co is the company name, so it does sound like it's a different company. I couldn't take one of the waiting taxis; I needed a minivan taxi because I had to fit my electric wheelchair and a large suitcase. The wheelchair folds, but it still takes up a lot of space.

When I arrived Sunday evening 12/1 I went to the Taxi curb and talked with the person who was handling the cabs. She arranged for a minivan taxi for me, which was there fairly shortly. I didn't see any sign advertising flat rates, so I asked her. She said it was up to the driver, so I asked him and he said they didn't offer a flat rate. At least traffic wasn't bad, so it was a quick trip (ditto for the return trip on Sunday morning). For the return trip I called Yellow Cab Co the night before my departure.

What's the easiest and fastest way to go from lax to Disneyland? I see lax has changed some rules with ride share companies. They know are off site. Can shuttles still pick up curbside? Can anyone share some recent experiences? Thanks

Easiest and fastest will be a car service although prob not the cheapest. Personalized , so its only your group , so a quick pick-up and directly to your resort / airport . We have used Lanskys in the past, and they have been great. They meet you in the airport baggage claim area with a sign , help/load your luggage and take you directly to your hotel . They even offer a quick grocery stop if needed .

Lansky

That said, we decided to rent a car this time around . After using car services and uber /lyft all around LA , we have decided its really not that bad of drive around the area as everyone makes it out to be . Sometimes traffic ......yes, well most of the time , but the roads and signage are very good . We are going to give it a go renting a car and use Waze as our gps helper .

Note: What I have noticed about car rentals at LAX . After the shuttle services to DL have shut down , I noticed a spike in car rental prices . Just an FYI . We are sitting at about $330 all in, for a week rental for a mid size SUV . Hoping for a lower price, but it doesnt seem to be dropping.

Is uber pretty easy to catch from lax? I checked and it looks like it’s 50 each way from lax to Disney land hotel.

We fly into LAX if the time and price is good. Renting a car is preferable to me and super easy. I have Hertz gold, so I just go to the lane of cars they designate for me to choose from and drive off. Driving around LA isn’t a big deal outside of rush hour and having a car is great when we want to explore and not rely on Uber or Lyft.

has anyone used Anaheim Town Car services and if so what are your thoughts ? i am looking at making a reservation but skeptical when i see almost perfect ratings online.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter