• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Airport Screener Answering Questions

bmartin1206

Mouseketeer
I work for TSA in baggage and passenger screening and offer to answer you questions.

Tip "O" the day - Carry on unexposed film. Unexposed film put into checked luggage may be ruined in the CATSCAN/Xray.

Hi, I'm new here.
I think you're just the person I was looking for.
This is a delicate (or delicates) subject. ;) How sensitive are the screening devices?
Mostly will I be strip searched if I wear an underwire bra?

Thanks for the help.

You are not strip searched for wearing the underwire braw. It is same sex screening. Generally the area is briefly checked with the back of the hand, hardly even noticeable but if you alarm and wish to have a private screening feel free to ask.

Brian

Does that mean that an underwire will set off the beepers? What about zippers?

Thanks so much for the info.

Generally underwires and light jewlery, zippers etc generally do not set of off the alarm. More often than not shoes set the alarm off and most women blame it on the bra. In most shoes, except the majority of tennis shoes, there is a metal support shank in the sole of the shoe. Having said that, if you wear what might be considered an excessive amount of jewlery & have a lot of zippers on you clothes some machines are a little more sensitive than others. I want to emphasize, if you alarm even your chest area will still be checked.
Wear tennis shoes, something with a zipper or not, a shirt without a lot of metal dangles and remove your belt if it has metal. I wouldn't suggest more than a watch, a ring or 2 and ear rings. Again the more metal you have on, the more it will pick up.
Hoep this helps.

Brian

Okay I have read that you can have "safety razors" in your carryone luggage. What is a "safety razor"? I have a razor with the disposable heads and my DF has an electric clipper. Should these be put in the checked luggage or are they okay in carryon? Also a question about scissors. What is okay for carryon? I want to take my mini sewing kit from the drugstore which has a little tiny pair of scissors in it but I don't know if those are okay in carryon.

Thanks for all your help.

Safety razors are any razor where the blade is not normally removable such as most disposable razors. Clippers are no big deal. Scissors may go in carry on as long as they are safety scissors with rounded tips. The ones you are talking about should not be an issue but unless you need them on the plane I'd put them in checked luggage.

So......a nail clipper, tweezer saftey razor and metal nail file would be okay to pack in a carry-on? I'd hate to be all hairy and snaggley while on vacation.

Hello,

I just returned from a trip via Ohare Airport and they searched my bag and took my cuticle scissors out.......They are not allowed as carryon items, they told me I could check them in luggage or lose them...Yet I was allowed to carry on a bottle of wine.

C

And why wouldn't you be able to carry a bottle of wine. It has no sharp edges. Cuticle scissors could be used as an immediate weapon and could be consealed. To make a bottle of wine a weapon would take a little doing and raise some suspisions. Refer to www.TSA.gov for an updated list of prohibited items.
Weapons can be made out of nearly anything but we try to limit our search to items that may pose an immediate threat or components that may pose a threat.

bmartin1206.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for volunteering this thread with your experience. Airport Security still makes a lot of us very nervous. My husband and I have not flown since 911. (We didn't fly much before) and are from a very small town in Nevada. Your posts and that hot link really helped us, especially since my husband wears a metal leg brace. Airports were confusing enough...but now with "e-tickets", kiosks and security!!! We've heard all the horror stories buzzing around, but to get the scoop from someone "in the know" is great. Thank you again. (and keep safe.) On the plus side, I do love those specialty coffees!) :p

Just curious:

With the new bullet proof cockpit doors now in place, why the big fuss about items such as cuticle sissors. The sharp edge can't be more than a 1/2 inch long at the most. It would take a long time to cut thru a bullet proof door wouldn't it??...smjj

Cockpit access is not the only concern. It is for the safety of all of the passengers. Hostages could always be taken either to draw a pilot out of the cockpit or to kill each and every one. Remember this is a death wish for them. They'll take as many as they can. It doesn't matter how it ends. It was reported in 9/11 that several members of the crew other than pilots were possibly killed prior to taking over the plane.

Brian

On that sobering thought, I'd like to say thank you to you and all the other airport screeners for keeping us safe. Keep up the good work, and I hope you get a raise.:sunny:

This may have been asked before but I missed it if it has. Where do most screeners and airlines prefer you to put your trading pins? I have a bag that they will be stored in but not sure if they should be checked or in my carry on.

I am surprised at how often it is asked ... :) . Anyway, it doesn't matter whether it is in carry on or checked. As long as it doesn't contain anything prohibited such as a knife then carry on is fine.

Brian

Maybe you can answer this for me. I've been wondering if the pilots have been instructed not to leave the cockpit for any reason. If not, what is the point of having secure, bulletproof doors. Also, do the flight attendants have access to the cockpit? If so, how would this prevent a hijacker or group of hijackers from storming the cockpit? I have always been a very nervous flyer but I would feel a lot better if I knew that a hijacker could not enter the cockpit under any circumstances. Thanks.

While this is not a responsibilty of TSA standards, my understanding is the cockp[it doors are very secure. I don't know what the piots have been instructed to do in the event of a hostage situation but my guess is they are not to leave the cockpit. I'm sure the flight attendants have communication with the cockpit but there really is no need for them to enter while I'm certain they can as necessary.
These are only assumptions. I don't know the official airline policies. Bottom line for me anyway is if I can prevent it I will but I am not in control of my destiny.

Brian

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter