• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Airport Screener Answering Questions

With both an airline pilot and a flight attendant in my family as well as being a frequent traveler myself, I think I can answer your question. The standard procedure now (at least with their airlines and I believe it is an FAA reg) is that if a member of the flight crew needs to leave the cockpit (generally only to use the lavatory), one of the flight attendants has to enter the cockpit while he is out. Another flight attendant is supposed to move one of the serving carts from the galley in front of the cockpit door, as well as stand guard near it until the pilot/flight engineer returns.

The only possible exception might be with the smaller commuter aircraft where there is only one flight attendant.

bmartin1206

My DH is an amateur photographer. On our last flight, he asked that his film be hand checked, rather than go through the machine at the gate. Some of the photographers he knows recommended that he request a hand check of the film, rather than sending it through the x-ray machine. He was told that they would only hand check film of 1000 speed or over, and insisted DH put his camera bag with film through the x-ray machine. They also told him that asking for a hand check of his film made them suspicious of him, thus they did a very thorough search of him, including making him take off his shoe 4 times, x-raying them, bomb swabbing them, going over his feet with a wand several times, etc. Every time he put his shoes back on and got his belongings together, they told him to remove the shoes and went over his carry-on several times.

Is this normal? Will they only hand check film if it is 1000 speed or over? Does asking for a hand check usuually make the checkers suspicious?

I can understand why they were so strict about the tweezer/cuticle scissor thing right after 9/11, and a glad that they have kind of oosened up on that a little, although I will say that I still do pack all my sharps in my checked lugage, just to make their lives easier. I really don't think that anyone would ever be able to hijack a plane again with anything other than a gun. I can't think of one sharp object that a hijacker could get onto a plane(assuming that someone would pick up if he was carrying a 16" long machete;) )that would stop any and everyone on that plane from going after him. My personal belief is that if I am on a plane and someone stands up and says they are hijacking it, the end result is going to be that I am going to die, so all bets are off and I'll go after him with everything I've got. A box cutter, a toenail clipper, a pair of tweezers, a pair of scissors or anything else isn't going to scare me at that point.

Originally posted by Krissalee
He was told that they would only hand check film of 1000 speed or over, and insisted DH put his camera bag with film through the x-ray machine. They also told him that asking for a hand check of his film made them suspicious of him . .
Unfortunately, that is their normal procedure. I was given a hard time at the DCL terminal on my last cruise (May this year). When I asked them to hand check my film, they said it has to be 1000 ISO or higher. I explained that I am a professional photographer, that some of my film was 800 ISO, and that the effects of the x-ray are cumulative and it had already been through a few so would they PLEASE hand check it. I had it completely out of the canisters and in clear ziploc baggies. They finally gave in, but gave me a very rough time about it. In the future, I plan to only cruise with my digital camera. I am not saying this would happen every time. It depends on the current security level and the particular security guy one ends up with, whether flying or cruising. But I would rather avoid the hassle. I don't want to make trouble but I don't want to be <I>given</I> trouble either! Security people have a lot to deal with, and although they are trained, they can not <I>know everything</I>, including the hazards of x-ray to a professional's film. Given that, I will no longer be carrying film in transit. They are doing their job, but I also need to do mine so that's my only solution. Some might suggest lead bags, but that is even more suspicious and can make them crank up the juice. At least that's the case with foreign travel . . .

I'm sorry, but if someone came at me with cutical sisors or a nail file....they better be prepared to LOSE! SOME things are just plain silly! I will admit that I am just a little bit leary about airport security checking inside my bags and my personal items.

Just as a word of warning to any woman undergoing reconstructive surgery after a masectomy. The metal plate (expander) that is stretching your muscle/skin for the implant will set of the detector and subject you to a very personal search.

I only mention this because it happened to my friend who had a double masectomy and was going to fly. She had a note from her doctor but just couldn't go through with the personal strip search, even with a woman. It was just too traumatic for her at the time. They ended up leaving the airport rather than be searched and drove 9 hours to their destination.

For anyone that may be in this situation, it would be something you should be aware of and prepared for.

First, my hat off to the OP. My home airport is O'Hare, and since 9/11 I've flown to Minneapolis, Orlando, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and Boston. At each and every airport, I've had nothing but high marks for the TSA. You guys are doing great!

As for film, I've never had a problem with having 800 speed hand checked, so either things are improving or I just got lucky.

Just one thing for all of you travelers out there...PLEASE organize your stuff BEFORE you get to the screening area. I can't count the number of times I've been stuck behind someone who spends 5 minutes empting his pockets, taking out his laptop, taking out his cell, his Palm Pilot, etc. Please try to have it all ready, the line is long enough to give you time to get most of this stuff out!

I have an additional question to the graceous Airport Screener.
I'm hoping to bring
a camcorder with addition batteries
a digital camera with recharger
2 cell phones and recharger
and a portable DVD player with recharger

These items will be devided between me and my daughter. Do you think there will be any problem with some much hardware?

In the past they have always made us take out the camcorder and turn it on so they could check it.
Any other things I should know about?
If this is two much maybe we could forego the camcorder, but I'd really love to document the trip.

If I can bring all this stuff, which is the best way to present it for checking?
Should it all be in one bag, or taken out of cases, or what? I don't want to hold up the line or be late ourselves.

Originally posted by taswira
With both an airline pilot and a flight attendant in my family as well as being a frequent traveler myself, I think I can answer your question. The standard procedure now (at least with their airlines and I believe it is an FAA reg) is that if a member of the flight crew needs to leave the cockpit (generally only to use the lavatory), one of the flight attendants has to enter the cockpit while he is out. Another flight attendant is supposed to move one of the serving carts from the galley in front of the cockpit door, as well as stand guard near it until the pilot/flight engineer returns.

The only possible exception might be with the smaller commuter aircraft where there is only one flight attendant.

Shari,
I'd like to add the following:
On some airlines the cockpit-door is accessible by the cabin-crew by means of a 4-digit-keypad. After the code has been punched in by the flight attendant a beeper sounds in the cockpit. The cockpit-crew then checks the door via video and has a predetermined time to cancel the opening signal and block it electronically.

Thanks, Eric. Yes - I have seen that . . mostly when flight attendants wish to enter the cockpit for some reason. My sis and nephew tell me that the aforementioned "standard procedure" is what they do when a pilot or other necessary member of the cockpit crew (not an F/A) needs to <I>leave</I> the cockpit while inflight, especially on domestic flights here, but I know there are exceptions.

I have been on flights that they announce that the captain is leaving the cockpit so no one is allowed out of their seats until he is back in the cockpit.

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm from Michigan and have a question about those white plastic ties. Last January I used those to secure my suitcase zippers. When I deplaned in Orlando they were still on and my suitcase secure. However leaving Orlando and flying back into Michigan I retrieved my bags to find them all cut off with no official note inside my bag saying they had cut them off to search my bag. This concerned me greatly because I had heard that the very least they would do is put a note in my bag saying they had to hand search my contents. Also
last year there was talk about if the security had to cut these ties that they would put on a colored one in it's place after examining the inside contents - has that been put into place?

Any info you can give on this is greatly appreciated.

When I travel I carry a cellphone, digital camera, pda and their assorted battery chargers. I carry these on because I can't trust my bags remaining secure. What I do is get the huge size freezer ziplock and put all of that gear in those. It keeps them all in the bag together and they security and see the contents easily. I always prep when there are a few people ahead of me making sure this bag and my carry-on bag is open and unzipped to make the security check go that faster and smoothier. I'm hoping to downsize in the future by getting one of those pda/cellphone which will make carry-on checking that much more easy.

You are correct. Ties and a note should accompany a bag search. If the ties are not removed that doesn't indicate we didn't look at it. We just didn't need to physically search it based on xray and cat scan images. Unfortunately, sometimes in the rush to get to the next passenger bag it gets overlooked.
As a precaution, when ever possible carry on valuable items. I'm not making accusations, justing pointing out a smart practice. Many times bags come down partially zipped with items falling out perhaps in the haste of last minute changes or worse it may get left behind by mistake in a search. Personally, if they want to look through my underwear and shaving kit, have at it. But I'll be responsible for any valuables I have.
Again, I'm not saying there is rampant theft. I'm just saying once the bag is out of your sight many things can happen whether it be honest mistake, passenger oversight or dishonest motive.
Hope this answers your questions.

Brian

I have a soft side cooler backpack that meets the size for a carry on and was going to use it to carry our unchecked items. Here the question will the thinsulate material give the screeners problems causing the bag to be unpacked? I'm asking as i don't want to be the cause for slowing up the line.

It should not be an issue. If they need to inspect it you'll be pulled to the side so don't worry about holding up the line. Just don't put a knife in it. You'll be surprised how many people bring knives.

Brian

Actually I just have one question....I have a C-Pap machine that I am worried about. In case you don't know what that is...it's a small piece of medical equipment that I use for breathing at nicht. It's about $1000.00 and I don't want to check it. Will the screeners give me trouble about this? I can show them what it is...it's about the size of a dictionary I guess. Any help would be appreciated. Helen

Hi A Cpap is medical exiup and exempt from carry-on regs and will be hand searched if required. I also have one and my brother who travels frequently with his gave me this info.

<b>Welcome to the Adult/Solo Board, J/T Gramdma</b>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter