AKL Fans - Is a savannah room worth it?

Minnie02

Earning My Ears
After hemming and hawing over changing resorts during our upcoming trip in Nov I missed out on a standard room discount - no standard rooms available now. So I booked a savannah view room for the last 3 nights of our 7 night vacation (1st - 4 nights will be at POFQ). I used the new code and got the savannah room for $176 including tax so it will cost me $256 more for the 3 nights savannah room - will it be worth it???????????

It is Definitely Worth it. I am somebody who travels value and only could stay at AKL for a couple nights for the first time and the last and I feel the savanah view is well worth the extra $$$. In fact, I don't think I would pay the money for a standard view at this resort, just my opinion.

Jaimie

I think a savannah room is absolutely worth it. I went last year and really did spend a lot of time on my balcony just watching the animals. Instead of watching TV after getting back to the room, I would sit on the patio watching the animals (it's lit enough at night to see), and first thing in the morning that was the first place I'd be. The experience just can't be replicated any where else. My DS still thinks that EVERY hotel room has animals outside it. lol. It is truly a unique experience, and, frankly, I wouldn't go to AKL if I didn't have a savannah room.
Good luck!

Originally posted by Minnie02
After hemming and hawing over changing resorts during our upcoming trip in Nov I missed out on a standard room discount - no standard rooms available now. So I booked a savannah view room for the last 3 nights of our 7 night vacation (1st - 4 nights will be at POFQ). I used the new code and got the savannah room for $176 including tax so it will cost me $256 more for the 3 nights savannah room - will it be worth it???????????

$176 a night including tax for a savanna view room is a great rate. We have stayed at the AKL twice totaling 15days in water/pool view rooms. We enjoyed both of our stays very much.

I would say that if the $176 is not going to burden your vacation budget then go for it. If $176 is too much then I would call back and ask for a water/pool view room. It might fit into your budget better and you can still see animals from many places around the resort.

Yes I would say it is absolutely worth it. We have stayed there 2X now and both times had a savannah room. I would not stay there any other way. I DO want to add however, that you can have just as wonderful a time in a standard room, but if money is not a factor I say without hesitation, go for the savannah room. It's fantastic to have the animals right outside of your own window. I kept getting up all night just to see who was out there!!! You will not be sorry.

Have a Wonderful Time!!!

Thanks for the replies!! This trip will be my mom, myself and DD so I thought it would be great to surprise them with the AKL stay!! You only live once!! I figured it out wrong it will be $246 more for the AKL stay.

Yes, I think it is worth it!! We were there at the end of April & loved our room & the view. It was wonderful to sit on the balcony late at night or early in the AM & watch the animals. I've never experienced anything like that! There are certainly many public veiwing areas that you could go to if you did not have a savannah room, but if you can afford it I say go for it --- we did & I am so glad I spent the extra money!

The Savannah view is definitely worth the money (and you got a great rate !). I don't think a standard view is worth the money, so if I wasn't going savannah, I wouldn't be staying there. It's not like the other deluxes in that even a standard room at the Poly, for example gets you the monorail/boats to MK and Epcot. The view is everything ... and it's spectacular. We spent a lot of time walking around the resort (it rained an entire day -- and we were done all the parks because it was the end of trip "treat" and we just wanted to enjoy the resort), and as beautiful as it is, the patio overlooking the Savannah was why I paid the money to stay there.
Enjoy !

The vast majority of the rooms at AKL are savannah view (the FAQ says "roughly 90%"). Only a small percentage are standard view. Another small percentage are pool view.

My point? When considering AKL, you should take savannah view as the default. It is not a special indulgence, it's what everybody else is getting! For those who don't care about view (or prefer watching buses to watching animals), standard view rooms are an excellent value. But there are a very limited number of discounted standard view rooms available.

Oh - I can hardly wait!

We are going in a little over a month.
I need to stop reading the boards - I think I am driving hubby nuts.
He thinks we shouldn't pack the suitcases a month and a day out.

I don't get it?;)

Is it worth it?

In a word----------------ABSOLUTELY!!:Pinkbounc

It is more than worth it...you will wish you had stayed there all the nights.

I booked a standard room for AKL not knowing that a standard gave you a view of parking lots or roof tops etc. Not what I want to see when I look out my window. So I switched it to a Savannah room, since the reason to stay at AKL is to see the animal from your room, with a standard room you won't be able to do this. I am looking forward to sitting on the balcony over looking the savannah drinking my morning tea :D

YES YES YES

No stay at AKL would be worth it unless you stayed in a Savannah View Room, It is a truly amazing experience.

My .02 cents.... I didn't really care for the AKL because the decor and lighting was just way too dark. The only reason I enjoyed it was waking up in the morning and going out on my balcony with a cup of coffee in looking at the animals. That was truly amazing and worth having to suffer the dark decor and lighting.

Sure, it's worth it. However, you can still enjoy the hotel and the animals if you can't see them from your balcony.:D

The question really is, is it worth it for YOU? I haven't stayed there yet, but I have visited. The viewing areas are wonderful. I am not a balcony person, so I could probably get by just fine with a standard. My oldest son learned about African art/culture in school. He was more into learing about that than seeing the animals. If you would enjoy seeing the animals from your balcony, then go for the savannah. Have a great trip.

We have never stayed at the AKL, but have booked it for the last three nights of our 6 nights at Disney this year. We planned one whole day just to stay at the lodge and relax while watching for the animals. We feel like it will be a bonus having this as an attraction. And, we won't be spending money in the park at least one day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter