• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

For those that believe having beer & wine at BOG is wrong can I assume you have not and will never eat there?

Sorry to report but sales looked quite robust the few times I have been lucky enough to get a reservation. And for good reason. The wine list was very thoughtfully chosen with the menu in mind. And the servers are very well trained in pairing.

Why oh why would anyone cheer if this wonderful restaurant stopped offering this experience?

Because you can have the same experience at any number of places nearby and outside of the MK.! It is just not needed in the MK.

Respecting Walt and the tradition of a alcohol free MK, in the park that makes every child and adult for that matter glow with joy and emotion and magic of the Disney characters is not such a unreasonable thing to do.

AKK

Why are people fighting tooth & nail over this? If you want wine, go to BOG, if you don't, don't go to BOG. Why are some so outraged by someone else's prefferance? Bringing up cancer,churches,drinking & driving. Wow! Shameful. I wish people would get a little more passionate about something that matters.

Because you can have the same experience at any number of places nearby and outside of the MK.! It is just not needed in the MK.

Respecting Walt and the tradition of a alcohol free MK, in the park that makes every child and adult for that matter glow with joy and emotion and magic of the Disney characters is not such a unreasonable thing to do.

AKK
I know you have never been in BOG. It is so beautiful inside. And the food is amazing. I do not think I can get this experience anywhere else. It is really cool to dine in a castle. It really goes above and beyond to create a magical experience for diners

I know you have never been in BOG. It is so beautiful inside. And the food is amazing. I do not think I can get this experience anywhere else. It is really cool to dine in a castle. It really goes above and beyond to create a magical experience for diners

Teresa.......I am looking forward to BOG in march when we are there before our DCL. I am sure it is everything you have said it is.........As to castles...........well there is Cinderella castle in the MK, the Norway Aushuase (spl??), Canada and that is just off the top of my head.

Look I don't mind any one enjoying a drink. and has it has been expressed here many want a drink with their dinners. However there are many that are also worried alcohol will expand at MK and destroy in bits and pieces all the magic, traditions, joy, etc that the MK provides to their guests. Walt only had anything to do with DL and MK at WDW, and keeping its magic as it is, adding to it in the proper way, is important so they don't just become another park.

Jimmy and I have discussed this a number of times, and frankly his wordmanship is much better then mine, but facts are facts, I know its is highly unlikely they will ever take the alcohol drinks out of BOG. I can only hope it does not expand.

Please, we can agree to disagree?? and let the future will tell us what will happen.

I hope you continue to enjoy your meals at BOG.

AKK

AKK
Who wants to spend an extra hour to travel there and back for a meal instead of staying in the park they have chosen to go to that day.

whist walking through Japan in Epcot last yr i saw men of about 30 mimicking the Japanese accent,being really rude and clearly drunk So sad!!!!!

Who knows what Walt would have wanted to have in the parks by now? For all we know he would already have made alcohol more readily available. Having alcohol in the Magic Kingdom in no way disrespects Walt. You know what does? People claiming they know what he would want or do if he was alive today.

Can we not have our own opinions without tossing his name out there, as if it adds something to your point of view?

Who knows what Walt would have wanted to have in the parks by now? For all we know he would already have made alcohol more readily available. Having alcohol in the Magic Kingdom in no way disrespects Walt. You know what does? People claiming they know what he would want or do if he was alive today.

Can we not have our own opinions without tossing his name out there, as if it adds something to your point of view?

Maxismom,

You are of course entitled to your opinion. I have done quite a bit of study on Walt. and Ill stand by my statement with little worry that I am wrong. Am I 100% sure, of course not, but I also do not correct others people opinions or tell anyone what reference they may use.

I have made my points quite clear and really don't need to repeat them again.

Sometimes the ignore button is best to handle things

AKK

Last edited:
I just want to know how anyone can afford to get drunk buying drinks off of a Disney establishment. Either we have very dedicated or very wealthy alcoholics running around at WDW or milquetoasts who get drunk on their first taste of alcohol, or they were 3 sheets to the wind prior to arrival. There are much better and cheaper places to get plastered. I can't believe it's that huge of a problem, I could stay at the GF for the price of getting drunk from Disney served cocktails. I don't care if MK has alcohol or no alcohol but can't see there being that big of a difference.

I think the fear is that MK will turn into another World Showcase, with people "drinking around the Kingdom" while driving motorized scooters into everyone's ankles.

;)

Realistically, even if it expanded to walk-up snack stands, it would probably be more like HS and AK. Those two parks also serve alcohol, but you barely even notice it.

I just want to know how anyone can afford to get drunk buying drinks off of a Disney establishment. Either we have very dedicated or very wealthy alcoholics running around at WDW or milquetoasts who get drunk on their first taste of alcohol, or they were 3 sheets to the wind prior to arrival. There are much better and cheaper places to get plastered. I can't believe it's that huge of a problem, I could stay at the GF for the price of getting drunk from Disney served cocktails. I don't care if MK has alcohol or no alcohol but can't see there being that big of a difference.

After the first two drinks, the ability to reasonably decide what is an what isn't affordable goes down dramatically :)

You do indeed have a point on costs! Unfortunately I have seen to much of it in Epcot. We never go on weekends and especially F and W weekends.

AKK

Unfortunately I have seen to much of it in Epcot. We never go on weekends and especially F and W weekends.
The comparisons to World Showcase, especially during Food and Wine, are inapt. Disney actively promotes alcohol consumption in Epcot. For many, it is the raison d'etre for their very presence in that park. Disney publishes "Drinks Around the World" passport cards. None of this is true in respects to AK, DHS, DCA, DL-Paris, and none of the behavior that you see at Epcot on weekends at F&W carries over to those parks, showing us two important things: First, the guests know how and where to do their drinking; and second, that Disney is perfectly capable of controlling the situation. Just as they do at Be Our Guest. It is impossible to believe that whatever controls are employed at BoG could not be used in CRT, LTT and the Crystal Palace as well.

The comparisons to World Showcase, especially during Food and Wine, are inapt. Disney actively promotes alcohol consumption in Epcot. For many, it is the raison d'etre for their very presence in that park. Disney publishes "Drinks Around the World" passport cards. None of this is true in respects to AK, DHS, DCA, DL-Paris, and none of the behavior that you see at Epcot on weekends at F&W carries over to those parks, showing us two important things: First, the guests know how and where to do their drinking; and second, that Disney is perfectly capable of controlling the situation. Just as they do at Be Our Guest. It is impossible to believe that whatever controls are employed at BoG could not be used in CRT, LTT and the Crystal Palace as well.

Hi Jimmy,

If Disney could control it, it would be controlled at Epcot.. Since they have demonstrated that they cannot, it proves they cannot at other places like CRT, Ltt and Crystal Palace. I do not see the reason to take risks and possibly destroy all the magic, theming, traditions that make the MK as special as it is, just so some can have a drink . There is to many other place for those folks to enjoy they drinks, 10 minutes outside the main gate.

Controlling drinking in one place, verses many places in one park is a big difference. I ran a bar and grill in college and it was a education.

AKK

Yes, of course they can control it. No one with a lick of sense in their head would see that they can not. There is nothing to control at Epcot. Nothing is out of hand, despite the posters here at the Dis that like to insinuate that they are. The percentage of people who over indulge is extremely small and not an issue that needs to be addressed. Clearly, as it's not been addressed. Tells me there is no problem to fix.

You know Jimmy, reflecting on the pro drinking group they really have little support for their reasons to have drinking in the MK.

1. There is this view point that Walt may have changed his mind. Yet their is 0 proof that he would have and mountains of statements and comments from Walt, supported by the family, that he was very strong in his opinion no drinking in the MK.

2 Walt only had a hand in the design and operation of the DL and WDW MKs. so what happened with all the other parks has nothing to do with the MK's.

3. Folks of the pro groups say.....they want a drink with their dinners. Yet its a 10 minute walk to the CR and a 15 monorail ride to many other dinning places. A 100 places within 45 minutes. Yet they say its not disrespecting Walt's wishes by demanding they can drink in the MK. The logic does not follow.

THE bottom line still stands, all the magic, traditions, nostalgia, adenture, joy, little things, etc that the MK gives to its guests, is so special and magical, the joy in the faces of adults and their kids, provide more then enough reason to keep as it is. I will even in respect to you and the others that find the BOG theming so unique the food so great, I could see the beer and wine staying as so far it has proved Disney can control that.

Comment?

AKK

if you don't want wine or beer at BOG dinner, don't order any.

It's there, has been there since the restaurant opened, and it will probably stay there. Doesn't matter what Walt thought. If you don't want it, don't buy it, for whatever reason you have. Advocating that nobody should buy it because Walt wouldn't have liked it? I don't know about that.

I remember somebody who was offended at the sight of guests walking around DHS carrying BEER. What do you mean, they serve beer in the park and you can walk around with it?

Last edited:
THE bottom line still stands, all the magic, traditions, nostalgia, adenture, joy, little things, etc that the MK gives to its guests, is so special and magical, the joy in the faces of adults and their kids, provide more then enough reason to keep as it is. I will even in respect to you and the others that find the BOG theming so unique the food so great, I could see the beer and wine staying as so far it has proved Disney can control that.

Comment?

AKK

And they fact that the bold is all still there even with alcohol in MK proves that it won't alter those things one bit.

If we're going to do away with alcohol at MK, then let's get rid of the smoking areas, they can smoke when they get back to there resorts, nothing like having to smell that stuff when walking around.

Well Smoking s not my thing!........I will bow out of that issue!

AKK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter