• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

if you don't want wine or beer at BOG dinner, don't order any.

It's there, has been there since the restaurant opened, and it will probably stay there. Doesn't matter what Walt thought. If you don't want it, don't buy it, for whatever reason you have. Advocating that nobody should buy it because Walt wouldn't have liked it? I don't know about that.

I remember somebody who was offended at the sight of guests walking around DHS carrying BEER. What do you mean, they serve beer in the park and you can walk around with it?

Makira,

I do feel Walt's wish's do count. Having alcohol in the MK effects the whole place......However as I posted above with the BOG I may actually be part of the show!

AKK

Yeah there also is zero percent proof Walt wouldn't have changed his mind. Despite posters who seem to think they know him intimately. Which is why he should be left out of this. If someone's position is based on WWWD, then it isn't much of a position.

It is fine to have the position that you wouldn't like alcohol in the Magic Kingdom. But base it on something tangible. Not on WWWD, or that it would somehow lessen the magic. I could just as easily say it would add to the magic, and there is no way to prove that position wrong either.

If Disney could control it, it would be controlled at Epcot.
My point was, perhaps, too subtle. Disney doesn't want to control drinking in Epcot. Drinking in Epcot is "a thing", as people nowadays like to say. Disney derives a large percentage of its discretionary spending in Epcot from alcohol sales. Epcot focuses, more than any other park, on the balance of food and wine as part of the dining culture. So it's not a matter of whether Disney can control drinking in Epcot. It most assuredly chooses not to. Which is why I choose to limit, if not eliminate, Epcot from my comparisons and use DCA, DL, AK, DHS and DL-Paris as my benchmarks.

THE bottom line still stands, all the magic, traditions, nostalgia, adenture, joy, little things, etc that the MK gives to its guests, is so special and magical, the joy in the faces of adults and their kids, provide more then enough reason to keep as it is. I will even in respect to you and the others that find the BOG theming so unique the food so great, I could see the beer and wine staying as so far it has proved Disney can control that.

Comment?
"magic, traditions, nostalgia, adventure, joy, little things". You know what? These are all nouns that I use to describe a nice meal accompanied by a nice bottle if wine. "Magic" is a great steak served in a castle, paired with a Barolo or a Cabernet. "Adventure" is discovering if a Pinotage from South Africa or a Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand might be the perfect pairing with the new Pork Dish at Skipper Canteen. "Tradition" is clinking wine glasses together with my wife at the Crystal Palace after saying Grace as we do to start every dinner. Alcohol does not destroy magic, tradition, nostalgia and adventure. It is part of all these things. How does the old saying go? A jug of wine. A loaf of bread, and thou. My comment is that you are taking a narrow, slanted, pejorative view of beer and wine served with food. You are equating the expansion of wine sales from BoG to other restaurants with the inevitable transformation of Main Street U.S.A to Bourbon Street. I don't see it. It doesn't have to be that way, and I seriously doubt it ever would become that way.

You know Jimmy, reflecting on the pro drinking group they really have little support for their reasons to have drinking in the MK.

1. There is this view point that Walt may have changed his mind. Yet their is 0 proof that he would have and mountains of statements and comments from Walt, supported by the family, that he was very strong in his opinion no drinking in the MK.

2 Walt only had a hand in the design and operation of the DL and WDW MKs. so what happened with all the other parks has nothing to do with the MK's.

3. Folks of the pro groups say.....they want a drink with their dinners. Yet its a 10 minute walk to the CR and a 15 monorail ride to many other dinning places. A 100 places within 45 minutes. Yet they say its not disrespecting Walt's wishes by demanding they can drink in the MK. The logic does not follow.

THE bottom line still stands, all the magic, traditions, nostalgia, adenture, joy, little things, etc that the MK gives to its guests, is so special and magical, the joy in the faces of adults and their kids, provide more then enough reason to keep as it is. I will even in respect to you and the others that find the BOG theming so unique the food so great, I could see the beer and wine staying as so far it has proved Disney can control that.

Comment?

AKK

Can you share the mountains of statements and comments by Walt?

Tonka, you may feel that Walt's wishes do count, and that would be a reason for you to not order any alcohol should you patronize Be Our Guest. Or to refuse to patronize Be Our Guest at all. It's not a reason for others. And no matter what the speculation is, so far it's just Be Our Guest and just at dinner.

of course there are also private parties...I've been to one at Mk where I could drink a gin and tonic while watching the MS Electrical Parade.

BOG has some very good beers! The expensive kind of course.

Can you share the mountains of statements and comments by Walt?

Gee I wis I had the time..however you can find it in many video
Clips, interviews and in the books about him... it is common knowledge.

The easiest to find are his interviews on the biulding of Disneyland and his discussions about when he told his daughters to parks and how dirty they were and the drinking and trash all around the.parks and how he wanted a.clean family park.

Enjoy

AKK

Last edited:
Do you have any evidence that Magic Kingdom is no longer a clean family park after Be Our Guest opened? It doesn't seem much different to me.

Well you have a point on that, however I feel he was a remarkable person, everyone who enjoyed his creations, would respect his wishs.

As to my drinking in the Magic Kingdom, neither myself or anyone in our groups to WDW will ever drink in the Magic kindom.

We respect thean and the park to.much is disrepect the most specail and.magical park in the world.

I have heard of the parties....again, should I ever be as privileged to have a invite, No I would not drink.

Lastly, you have peaked my intereat on the beer......I shall ask where else in WDW they sell them.

Makria, I don't expect most to agree with me, it is only my feelings and opinion.

To each thier own!

In the end Disney will do what they want.

AKK

Last edited:
Do you have any evidence that Magic Kingdom is no longer a clean family park after Be Our Guest opened? It doesn't seem much different to me.

Nope....only more dirty becuase the ever and his egertrons have cut bugets have cased aby extra dirty.

As I have discussed before, the problem is demostrated in Epcot and a abundance of carts and drinks available and there by having the drunks.

As I mentioned before feel, the traditions and nostalgia of the MK is what needs to be protected...w ALK around most fairs and carnivals and street fairs and you can see what I am afriad the MK could turn into.

People change over time, and their viewpoints often change with them. I know I am not the same person I was 10 years ago. If Walt was alive 50 more years we have no way of knowing if his thoughts on alcohol in the Magic Kingdom would have changed or not. After all he was a big believer in continuing to move forward and not being stuck.

My point was, perhaps, too subtle. Disney doesn't want to control drinking in Epcot. Drinking in Epcot is "a thing", as people nowadays like to say. Disney derives a large percentage of its discretionary spending in Epcot from alcohol sales. Epcot focuses, more than any other park, on the balance of food and wine as part of the dining culture. So it's not a matter of whether Disney can control drinking in Epcot. It most assuredly chooses not to. Which is why I choose to limit, if not eliminate, Epcot from my comparisons and use DCA, DL, AK, DHS and DL-Paris as my benchmarks.

"magic, traditions, nostalgia, adventure, joy, little things". You know what? These are all nouns that I use to describe a nice meal accompanied by a nice bottle if wine. "Magic" is a great steak served in a castle, paired with a Barolo or a Cabernet. "Adventure" is discovering if a Pinotage from South Africa or a Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand might be the perfect pairing with the new Pork Dish at Skipper Canteen. "Tradition" is clinking wine glasses together with my wife at the Crystal Palace after saying Grace as we do to start every dinner. Alcohol does not destroy magic, tradition, nostalgia and adventure. It is part of all these things. How does the old saying go? A jug of wine. A loaf of bread, and thou. My comment is that you are taking a narrow, slanted, pejorative view of beer and wine served with food. You are equating the expansion of wine sales from BoG to other restaurants with the inevitable transformation of Main Street U.S.A to Bourbon Street. I don't see it. It doesn't have to be that way, and I seriously doubt it ever would become that way.

Well my friend we have to agree to disagree....and look forward to.meeting someday at WDW and debate this all out.

Ps....I wish I had your wordmanship abilities!

AKK

I just have to say, if you don't like and feel that strongly about, then don't go. I'll bet it won't make one bit of difference in the billions they make a year and probably most of the board members thay make all the decisions probably like a cocktail every now and then.

I just have to say, if you don't like and feel that strongly about, then don't go. I'll bet it won't make one bit of difference in the billions they make a year and probably most of the board members thay make all the decisions probably like a cocktail every now and then.

With all due respect, that goes both ways. If anyone feels they need that drink.............don't go to the MK!......let that one special park be alcohol free and you can enjoy the remaining 90% of WDW and have a dinner with a drink.

These are probably the same people thay take 1 and 2 year Olds in strollers and make everybody else miserable by blocking everything and bumping into people. A kid that age will never remember a trip.

These are probably the same people thay take 1 and 2 year Olds in strollers and make everybody else miserable by blocking everything and bumping into people. A kid that age will never remember a trip.
I'm not following the connection you are trying to make. What people are you talking about? What do strollers and remembering a trip have to do with the discussion?

I'm not following the connection you are trying to make. What people are you talking about? What do strollers and remembering a trip have to do with the discussion?

Hi Allison,

I am thinking that Marinejjh may have clicked the wrong item and is actually responding to a different thread.

AKK

We can go back and forth on this over and over, the MK is specail, there plainly is no reason or need for.alcohol in this one place in massive WDW.

If someone needs aDrink it's a 10 minute walk to CR and a few minutes longer to a dozen other bars and restaurants.

Is it so terrible to keep the MK specail? To respect Walt's wishs? To let family families come to just this 1 park and not have a alcohol around them and the little kids?...specially when 90% of the rest of WDW provides excellent drink sevice?

I enjoy a drink as well as anyone, but when I walk onto Mainstreet USA, the magic just sweeps me and my family into the pixie dust. It's just so specail.

Just keeping this one magical park so specail is not a big thing to ask.

AKK

The beauty of America... The right to disagree and do as you please. If you don't want a drink don't order one. I'll have a cocktail with dinner please. :)

With all due respect, that goes both ways. If anyone feels they need that drink.............don't go to the MK!......let that one special park be alcohol free and you can enjoy the remaining 90% of WDW and have a dinner with a drink.

I put off entering MK the other day on my last night- kids were asleep in the room with our friends- I caught all four fireworks shows, Fantasmic, Star Wars (with a cocktail from Tune in Lounge), Illuminations (with an ice cream martini from France) and Wishes (with a chocolate martini from Top of the World lounge), then rode the monorail over to the Poly for a backscratcher and Lappu Lappu before going to MK until 130 AM- had MK sold alcohol I would've skipped Top of the World and the Poly, but Disney got my money either way- and the mountains after several drinks are quite entertaining :)

Just don't want to not respond to this even if it's in the wrong thread- the kid won't remember but I will- and those memories will last forever- I've taken my 2 year old twins three times before they turned two and the memories couldn't be any better :)

I put off entering MK the other day on my last night- kids were asleep in the room with our friends- I caught all four fireworks shows, Fantasmic, Star Wars (with a cocktail from Tune in Lounge), Illuminations (with an ice cream martini from France) and Wishes (with a chocolate martini from Top of the World lounge), then rode the monorail over to the Poly for a backscratcher and Lappu Lappu before going to MK until 130 AM- had MK sold alcohol I would've skipped Top of the World and the Poly, but Disney got my money either way- and the mountains after several drinks are quite entertaining :)
Oh how I hope to get to visit the top of the world lounge some day (we are not DVC owners). And I have never tried the chocolate martini in France. Where did you get this? Sounds so yummy!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter