Alert - Mexico Respiratory Illness * Swine Flu Discussion *

Here is how it all really started....

ATT21243661.jpg

Not to make light of the situation but I thought that was WAY DISGUSTING but funny!!
We leave in 1 month on our cruise and can't wait.I just hope that the mask doesn't leave tan lines..HAHAHA *kidding here...no masks for us*
I think that if people would educate themselves on this it wouldn't cause such panic.One thing during situations like this is to NOT read everything online about it.There are a lot of false things being started.
I haven't been reading much on it because I do not care to work myself up over something that I can't control.I have listened to the reports on the local news and it was from Dr's who have been ceasing rumors.That is enough for me.

I'm at work and just looked at a story out of Mobile, Alabama on a Carnival Cruise that skipped Mexico.
I'm amazed, the passengers are LIVID that they didn't stop in Mexico!!!!!

I said there would be some people who would be mad if they didn't go to Mexico flu or no flu. You just can't please everyone but they would be the same ones up in arms demanding a refund it the ship had gone to Mexico and they had contracted the virus. :sad2:

OK, Nobody wanted to stop in Cozumel next week less then I did. (We all know that LOL)

But as far as masks etc. If your going to do that on the flight because you need it mentally. (I say that since it's been said now for 2 days that it won't help) I think you need to start asking yourself some questions. Like are you going to be ok with your children as well as yourself in the pool on the ship? We all know they clean them good at night, but everyone is in and out of them in the daytime. Not just small kids who cause visual problems that require shutting the pool to clean the accident. But adult and teens (not just little ones) wipe their face in the water, etc. And we all know their are people out there of every age who do more then that in a pool. (Think about it a second.....OK get that?) LOL.

So, if people are talking about masks or driving when it comes to flying. Then are you really going to be able to enjoy the cruise with something as simple as a swim? Not saying anyone should or should not do want they want. But thinking if you have insurance and can maybe put the trip off, you might want to explore your feelings on something as simple as swimming. Just trying to help so people don't go and spend the week afraid to do anything.

Me, I just felt the odds in Mexico (anywhere in that country) were not worth the risk. I'm not planning on thinking twice about pools, jacuzzis, etc. No fear of the ship and everyone at all. They said they have enough "Temeril" (Can't remember the name or spelling at this moment) for everyone. And that with avoiding Mexico is enough for me. But if felt I needed a mask, I think it wouldn't be worth taking the trip at all right now.

Just saying explore your feelings about how you will handle each day. Don't spend a week in your cabin while others swim, play, etc.

I just felt the odds in Mexico (anywhere in that country) were not worth the risk

this part got my attention, I can understand not wanting to go to Mexico because of this so you don't get sick on vacation, so like you say not worth the risk. I know I wouldn't mind going to Cozumel because I didn't hear of it being there and I could just as easily get it when I go to New York and I am going there this weekend, but at least if I did get sick I'd be close to home

Masks are great for kids. They don't really do anything to control stuff floating around in the air. BUT, they are a constant reminder to my 6 yo DS that he should be extra careful (he has a lung disease). They keep him from putting his fingers in his nose(sorry, but he's six), putting his fingers in his mouth, and eating anything without my knowing about it. I even make him where sunglasses when I don't want him touching his eyes.

He has a serious lung disease and we have to be extra vigilant when anything nasty is going around. And I honestly don't expect my younger kids (10 & 6) to remember to practice good hygiene 100% of the time and the mask reminds them.

So if you see a 6 year old boy trying to pick his nose through a surgical mask on the boat--that's us! :thumbsup2

Need feedback everyone. Please see my new Pollen / Asthma post about tomorrow. Thanks.

A side issue, not directly related to Disney, but to the cruise industry in general:

Why are cruise lines avoiding Cozumel, with no (confirmed) cases of swine flu, but they ARE hitting ports in places like California, with 12 laboratory confirmed cases (as per the CDC)?

Some of the "Mexican Riviera" cruises have even re-routed to do a "Pacific Northwestern" tour...including hitting San Francisco, and originating out of Los Angeles.

Now, yes, I *get* that the standard of medical care is better in the US, and that effects "survivability", etc. etc., but I still don't get why an island that is separate from the mainland of a country that has H1N1 cases, but has no cases itself is quarantined (for cruise purposes), but major cities in a state with lab-confirmed cases is not.

It just seems weird to me. :confused3

(Full disclosure, I live in California) :rolleyes1

OK that's it.

After I get on the ship, I'm going to demand that they don't go back to the US until this is all cleared up. They are just going to have to sail around the oceans until this all blows over.:rotfl2:

A side issue, not directly related to Disney, but to the cruise industry in general:

Why are cruise lines avoiding Cozumel, with no (confirmed) cases of swine flu, but they ARE hitting ports in places like California, with 12 laboratory confirmed cases (as per the CDC)?

Some of the "Mexican Riviera" cruises have even re-routed to do a "Pacific Northwestern" tour...including hitting San Francisco, and originating out of Los Angeles.

Now, yes, I *get* that the standard of medical care is better in the US, and that effects "survivability", etc. etc., but I still don't get why an island that is separate from the mainland of a country that has H1N1 cases, but has no cases itself is quarantined (for cruise purposes), but major cities in a state with lab-confirmed cases is not.

It just seems weird to me. :confused3

(Full disclosure, I live in California) :rolleyes1

I know it seems odd but several people are sick from Cancun area and so because Cozumel is so so close and not many people live there ( alot work there but not all live there) so there could be cases from people in that area but if they don't offically live there then it wouldn't be reported that way.:)
I know overall it may seem mixed up but they are all just trying to do what they think is best and my DH has 2 friends from work from MX. And one is a bio-tech and he says even though it is not comfirmed they do think it is an true air born and it is somewhat different from the regular types of flu they see. I am not sure what that means but I guess they do.:)
Hope that helps some.:)

OK that's it.

After I get on the ship, I'm going to demand that they don't go back to the US until this is all cleared up. They are just going to have to sail around the oceans until this all blows over.:rotfl2:
I agree with you...see you on the ship!:thumbsup2

mc2, I appreciate the information you share as it comes from a public health perspective. I don't find it judgmental and I understand where you're coming from in terms of sharing facts with others to educate them. I can understand the instinctive desire of people to do whatever they can to protect themselves and I think you and some others here do a good job of illuminating the reality of what protection masks afford. Generally if I wear a surgical mask it's to protect the patient or to avoid breathing in large particles. In the case of young children, MAYBE a mask would deter them from touching their nose or mouth or maybe it would make them touch their face MORE because now here's something they're not used to on their face. I agree the key is to make sure your hands are clean, don't cough or sneeze into them and then touch something others are going to be touching, if you're sick then don't expose other people unneccessarily to your illness. But honestly everyone should be doing this ALL THE TIME anyway not just now. If by the end of this we emerge with people learning how to wash their hands properly and coughing or sneezing into their elbow (or shoulder or under their shirt) just think of how much that would cut down on the spread of infectious disease in the future! And if TV shows, movies, commercials would show the right way and not the wrong way like they do, that would be a huge public service but I digress...

From the World Health Organization:

No rationale for travel restrictions
1 May 2009 -- WHO is not recommending travel restrictions related to the outbreak of the Influenza A(H1N1) virus. Limiting travel and imposing travel restrictions would have very little effect on stopping the virus from spreading, but would be highly disruptive to the global community.

I still don't understand the concern many of you are expressing about going to Mexico. There are now as many (or almost as many) confirmed cases in the US.

This flu is SLIGHTLY worse then regular flu. so you should be SLIGHTLY more concerned than you would be if you were traveling during the height of the regular flu season.

Some of you seem to be WAY more concerned. why?

Those of you that say "why take the risk," do you also avoid traveling at all during the regular flu season? I mean, why take the risk? Of course the non-flu season is also the hurricane season, so why take that risk either. Just stay home I guess. And don't use your cellphone, as according to a Harvard University study, an estimated 2,600 people die and 12,000 suffer serious to moderate injuries each year in cell phone-related accidents. Why take the risk?

Besides, the CDC only suggests avoiding "non-essential" travel to Mexico. As we all know a cruise is considered ESSENTIAL.

I rest my case.

Well, we were scheduled to take this cruise in Nov '09. But we decided to change it for several reasons. After WDW trip in Nov of 08, we wound up sick for the 4th year in a row. Seriously, we cannot go to WDW in the fall without getting sick. So, that (and kids sail free;)) convinced us to push the trip up to May. Just our luck...it is still flu season.

I typically pump my kids full of vitamins before we go to Disney anyway (which obviously works so well for us), and my youngest has peanut allergies so we ALWAYS wipe down everything especially on the SW planes.

I am not liking our odds:rotfl:

1 May 2009 -- WHO is not recommending travel restrictions related to the outbreak of the Influenza A(H1N1) virus. Limiting travel and imposing travel restrictions would have very little effect on stopping the virus from spreading, but would be highly disruptive to the global community.

I still don't understand the concern many of you are expressing about going to Mexico. There are now as many (or almost as many) confirmed cases in the US.

This flu is SLIGHTLY worse then regular flu. so you should be SLIGHTLY more concerned than you would be if you were traveling during the height of the regular flu season.

Those of you that say "why take the risk," do you also avoid traveling at all during the regular flu season? I mean, why take the risk? Of course the non-flu season is also the hurricane season, so why take that risk either. Just stay home I guess. And don't use your cellphone, as according to a Harvard University study, an estimated 2,600 people die and 12,000 suffer serious to moderate injuries each year in cell phone-related accidents. Why take the risk?

Besides, the CDC only suggests avoiding "non-essential" travel to Mexico. As we all know a cruise is considered ESSENTIAL.

I rest my case.

We are on the May 30th Western and I do really consider my cruise and trip to Disney absolutely ESSENTIAL!!! At least for my sanity!

I for one would much rather worry unnecessarily than just blow everything off and then things wind up much worse and not be prepared. I have also learned that due to my luck, prepared is better than not!

I don't think avoiding Mexico at this point is going to do any good either, but I would rather make a stop at a place that currently has a lower risk.

It is not so much that I am worried about travel to Mexico as I am travel in general. I realize that we could just as easily be exposed at Wal-mart as Florida or Mexico. However, my anxiety comes partly from the hope that if I am going to be sick I would rather be at home. We had the stomach bug in Disney 2 years ago and it was a nightmare....and I am the mom with a bottle of purell with me at all times. Also, dh and I travelling is one thing, but I get a bit more antsy when we talk about my kids. That may be silly and unwarranted but that is just how I feel.

Hope that made sense.....I tend to ramble sometimes!!!

Kayla

Am I the only one that finds it interesting that a typical Norwalk virus outbreak on one cruise ship....sickens more people than this entire Swine Flu virus has in two countries?

I rest my case.

I'm totally with you.
I consider our vacation ESSENTIAL and I don't care if anyone else thinks differently. LOL (agree with everything else you said also).

I'm only SLIGHTLY more concerned and that's primarily reserved for those that it could be worse for- for instance like my 2 sisters who each have newborns/under 6mo old babies and my mother who is quadraplegic and even a regular cold could be deadly to her since she can't really even cough. Those are just examples personally- ofcourse I'm concerned for others where catching the flu would be worse for them- I'm not terribly concerned for us. For one like you said it's a new flu and I only consider it a slightly worse flu than regular flu simply because it's new and from what I read the flu vaccine everyone has already taken won't work on it- but then tamiflu/etc. works for it and I know if we get sick we can rush to the dr- so I'm not concerned for us personally in our household.. a bit more concerned for those that catching it COULD potentially be more serious for them.

Kayla, I agree with you too. I don't want to miss our vacation but it won't be my idea of fun to be sick while there either! That does happen a lot to a lot of people though.. so it could happen. :( Hope not though!

I don't know guys, DH has had influenza once and a norovirus twice, all in the past 4 years, and I got to look after him every time (while trying to keep both myself and the kids from catching the virus)...he might not have enjoyed it had we been on a cruise at the time...BUT I SURE WOULD HAVE!!! ;):lmao: Some of the quarantine stories on the board sound awesome compared to being quarantined at home and still having to cook your own food, do the laundry, etc....

Hmmmm....maybe if this virus continues to spread and tourism bottoms out, Disney could start offering "quarantine cruises"!!! It sure would bring a whole new meaning to the term "sea sickness"!:rotfl:

PS For what it's worth, I managed to keep the virus isolated to him only while providing direct care without any personal protective equipment (masks, visors, gowns, etc...). Just plain old hand washing, "lysoling" (I made up my own word for it! :laughing:) the crap out of any surface he touched, keeping anything he used/touched separate from our stuff, keeping the kids at least 6feet away from him at all times until he was better, staying away from him myself unless needed until he was better...nothing more than what is recommended for infection prevention and control in the general public. It really does work!

That is hilarious, and so totally correct. I would sign up for that one in a heartbeat. But in our house it would probably be me that got sick!!!! Would still make life easier, especially the afterwards cleanup!

Kayla

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter