Alert - Mexico Respiratory Illness * Swine Flu Discussion *

I dont think they have kid sizes but they come in small med and large.... and they do fit snug. When are you traveling? I can check for you.

We're actually traveling next Thursday. Do you mind checking for me?? That would be awesome! I know that a lot of places are sold out now....

Most of the masks are not effective because they do not filter viruses.

And even if they are effective for a specific virus, there is a significant number of people who re-contaminate themselves when they take the mask off - even in health care workers who wear them on a regular basis when caring for actual cases. Same goes for people thinking that as long as they wear gloves, they are fine. It's not the virus on your hands that is the problem - it's whether or not you then put your hands (whether gloved or not) near your face and put the virus closer to (or in) your respiratory tract that is the problem. The gloves/masks/any protective equipment in itself are not going to protect anyone unless they are used properly (which they often are not), and I don't think we are at a point where any personal protective equipment should be used on a large scale in the general public - I am guessing that if there was a definite benefit to doing that, they would be providing them to everyone at the gate. The WHO/CDC and everyone else is really hoping to slow the spread of this - if wearing a mask on a plane hasn't come out as a recommendation (haven't seen that yet, but I could be wrong), I am guessing it is because a) they don't think it would be of much benefit and isn't necessary at this point, and b) most people would re-contaminate anyway, so again more of a false sense of security (and putting $$ signs in the eyes of the mask companies) than anything else.
Washing your hands, wiping down surfaces before touching them, coughing into your sleeve, staying home if you are sick, etc... are all things that you can easily (and realistically) do to help protect yourself and those around you.

DH is boarding a plane in an hour for a business trip - without a mask (and we have a 1 year old and a 3 year old at home). I leave in 2 weeks for a business trip, and will be flying without a mask. Obviously everyone should make their own decisions, but I can guarantee you we may only be at the "tip of the icerberg" with this...if we are already getting to a state of feeling scared to travel and such (even within the country, etc...), it may be a very long summer for some of you. Think about it - are you going to start wearing a mask every time you get into a crowded elevator? What about standing in a checkout line in a crowded store? Or while herded with +++ people into a smaller room while waiting for a tender on your next cruise?;) What about sitting in a packed waiting room while waiting to see your doctor, or the dentist, or anywhere else where your actual personal physical space is limited? I am not at all trying to minimize people's fears - as a parent of two small children who a) will have to deal with this on the front line if we get cases here, and b) who has a husband who is a family/er doc who will be one of the people to actually see/assess any cases that come through, I take this virus very seriously - just as I do regular seasonal influenza. The "unknown" element of this virus makes me a bit more concerned, but I think we all need to take a deep breath and keep this in perspective. If any of you have been flying for years without masks during our active influenza season and are now terrified, I'm not sure that you are totally understanding your actual risk - thus far, and again, I know that it is all we know to date, this virus has not been any worse in severity than our seasonal influenza virus. Which is why there is now some debate as to whether or not we should even be calling this a "possible pandemic" vs "just a new virus".

People should absolutely protect themselves - our house is in "full-protection mode" :thumbsup2 - at this point I think we own shares in lysol, hand sanitizer, and soap! :lmao: But I would strongly encourage you to go by what is recommended for protecting yourselves rather than speculating what might - if they think you need masks, let them (as they most likely will, just as they do at the entrance to most hospitals) provide them for you. That hard earned money could go to lots of better places....like the deposit on another cruise!!!! ;):goodvibes

also respirators need to be fit-tested, which is rather involved. We're doing that right now at work.

also respirators need to be fit-tested, whcih is rather involved. We're doing that right now at work.

Good point! Re-doing mine next week...I was thinking of basic surgical masks when I typed up my "little" post! :rolleyes::rotfl2:

Do those of you planning to buy N95 masks realize that? There are different sizes, and you need to be "fit tested" to find out what mask you need- which means they go through an actual procedure to ensure that it is a full seal on your face. DH and I don't wear the same size of mask. Unless you somehow find someone who will do the fit testing for you, it would be pointless to buy an N95 mask for personal use.

MC2 I wanted to comment that I do enjoy your detailed and informative post.

You are very right about handwashing. It is the most important thing to do right now. But every one has their right to feel the way they want to feel about something and I am not arguing that. I just think if it makes some feel better to travel to wear a mask then that is their right. I myself who works in healthcare am not affraid but aware of the virus and would just like to offer some that are affraid to fly where they are thinking of canceling to know and try to ease their fears.

Prevention is the key here therefore I dont see anything wrong with someone wearing a mask. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

Please do not take this post in the wrong way. I am not throwing flames or asking for flames.

MC2 I wanted to comment that I do enjoy your detailed and informative post.

You are very right about handwashing. It is the most important thing to do right now. But every one has their right to feel the way they want to feel about something and I am not arguing that. I just think if it makes some feel better to travel to wear a mask then that is their right. I myself who works in healthcare am not affraid but aware of the virus and would just like to offer some that are affraid to fly where they are thinking of canceling to know and try to ease their fears.

Prevention is the key here therefore I dont see anything wrong with someone wearing a mask. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

Please do not take this post in the wrong way. I am not throwing flames or asking for flames.

Hi Traci,
Trust me - no offence taken! If people want to wear some kind of mask, that's their perogative. I think that maybe fear might be blowing things way out of proportion and that people should take some of that energy and instead put it to positive use by focusing more on educating themselves on what their actual risks are and how to best protect themselves...but seriously, to each their own. I am just a bit concerned by the fact that we are now talking about getting N95 masks for people who haven't been fit tested for them - there would be no point - as a healthcare worker, I'm assuming you would know that you can't just "guess" what size you might be - if people do, they have wasted their money. They even want you to get fitted again if you have had any kind of significant weight gain (e.g. a pregnancy), because the same mask size doesn't always fit the same person for life.

For someone in healthcare, I'm just a bit confused about why you would be a) recommending an N95 respirator for the general public (the new guidelines for health care workers in acute care settings don't even say you need them in all situations now - surgical masks are ok depending on the situation) and b) even if they were recommended in all health care situations, why you would encourage them for people who aren't fitted for them...not saying that as a judgement, but honestly and truly perplexed. :hug:(put that there so you understand that I am 110% confused, not angry/flaming/etc...) It seems like you would be giving a false sense of security more than actually protecting them, and might actually feed the fear and panic that is starting to emerge rather than keeping it at a healthy level...but that's just my opinion...

Man, I'll bet you are all PRAYING for an internet outage at my place sometime soon...like that will last until this is all over and done with!!??? :laughing:

Was at dialysis with my mom today, and talking with the nurses and Dr there. The MASKS WILL NOT help. I don't have the "technical terms" but basically the virus (or droplets) are so small that the masks really do not help at all. If you are putting them on kids, and they are too big or have a bit where it doesnt' fit flush against their face, it is the same as not wearing a mask. You are just adding stress to the kids and irratation to yourself. I had to wear a mask for a few days while at work in the hospital (wildfire smoke was actually coming into the hospital when the doors opened) and it was miserable wearing it. It worked so I put up with it.

Best line of defense as everyone keeps saying is...WASH YOUR HANDS!! Everytime you open a door, go wash your hands, touch a cart at the store, wash your hands or use wipes or antibacterial soap.

I'm not a nurse or doctor, but this is what I have been told by some.

My advice is to if you fly wear a mask and have your kids wear mask. You can get them at a drug store,home depot and lowes have them for painting or at a medical supply store. I wouldnt wear them all over the place WDW, Or while on DCL. But for the plane ride only. take the alchol gel with you and tell your kids to not touch anything... that it is important and I always travel with the single pouch wet wipes to wipe any thing down. I have friends that are flying today and tomorrow and they are doing the same thing. They cant prevent flying so are wearing a mask for the flight only. Please dont flame me just trying to give these two familes an option to not worry or cancel flights due to this.
this was my original post I did not say anything about n95 masks. I onlu suggested for these familes to wear mask that they could buy at the drug store,home depot,or lowes,medical supply store.

I was speaking to a health care professional and they suggested if we wanted to get masks for flying that we look for the N95 masks. They said it should have "NIOSH N95" on the package.
This the post suggesting the n95 masks.
Hi Traci,
Trust me - no offence taken! If people want to wear some kind of mask, that's their perogative. I think that maybe fear might be blowing things way out of proportion and that people should take some of that energy and instead put it to positive use by focusing more on educating themselves on what their actual risks are and how to best protect themselves...but seriously, to each their own. I am just a bit concerned by the fact that we are now talking about getting N95 masks for people who haven't been fit tested for them - there would be no point - as a healthcare worker, I'm assuming you would know that you can't just "guess" what size you might be - if people do, they have wasted their money. They even want you to get fitted again if you have had any kind of significant weight gain (e.g. a pregnancy), because the same mask size doesn't always fit the same person for life.

For someone in healthcare, I'm just a bit confused about why you would be a) recommending an N95 respirator for the general public (the new guidelines for health care workers in acute care settings don't even say you need them in all situations now - surgical masks are ok depending on the situation) and b) even if they were recommended in all health care situations, why you would encourage them for people who aren't fitted for them...not saying that as a judgement, but honestly and truly perplexed. :hug:(put that there so you understand that I am 110% confused, not angry/flaming/etc...) It seems like you would be giving a false sense of security more than actually protecting them, and might actually feed the fear and panic that is starting to emerge rather than keeping it at a healthy level...but that's just my opinion...

Man, I'll bet you are all PRAYING for an internet outage at my place sometime soon...like that will last until this is all over and done with!!??? :laughing:

I am not telling anyone to use the n95 masks. The previous poster was the one who brought that up. I only told them I would check in what sizes that they came in as they were thinking about getting them. I did not tell anyone to go buy them at all or suggest they need to wear them. Please do not turn my post around. MC2 I will not post on this thread again. I know you are trying to help but it almost sounds like u are here to just try to prove people wrong. Between the last time I posted here I went into a meeting at work regarding this same issue and was going to follow up with a post to state that the CDC is not telling anyone at this time that they need to wear a mask. And most people that are traveling right now are just wearing the plain surgical masks. But I didnt have time till now to post again.
I am not at all trying to push people into panic mode or feel like they need to panic but like I have said this is a discussion forum and people are welcome to come here and discuss the things that are important to them. People dont need to be made to feel that their feelings are invalid. Everyone has their own opinion and just because you dont agree or are not worried as much as others are doesnt mean that they dont have a right to feel they way they feel. They have every right to come to vent/ talk with their DIS family about this issue.

Anyway I am going on and on and who needs that. Well signing off on this thread. I hope and pray that everyone does well and has a great time on their trips.

Everyone has their own opinion and just because you dont agree or are not worried as much as others are doesnt mean that they dont have a right to feel they way they feel. They have every right to come to vent/ talk with their DIS family about this issue.

Hi Traci - I have sent you a pm.

I think I maybe need to clarify where I am coming from. I am a Public Health Nurse. I take these concerns very seriously, but I am also as educated as I can possibly be about the issue because I have to be. It's not that I don't agree and that's why I am posting, or that I don't think everyone has a right to feel the way they feel. How people feel and whether or not I agree and/or feel the same way has nothing to do with why I have been posting. My job means that part of my role in this whole outbreak is in educating the public about this virus, and dispelling myths/clarifying facts/providing the most up-to-date and timely information from the various relevant bodies (e.g. WHO, PHAC, etc...), and trying to ensure that the people I work with are as educated and informed as they possibly can be so that they can best protect themselves. In all honesty, I am AS concerned about our inability to deal with this virus as best as possible due to fear/misinformation/etc... as I am about the virus itself. Fear and misinformation can without a doubt prevent us from slowing the spread of this virus, and failure to keep things in check will create a state of chaos in which we CAN'T carry out all that has been planned for properly managing a pandemic should we get to that point. When I first started reading this thread, I felt I should post a) because I was ethically conflicted about whether or not I should "just look away" when I was seeing people who were under false impressions, etc..., and b) I (perhaps in error) assumed that if people were looking for information and I could perhaps share some of that information, they would want me to share it. I may not have always worded it in the best way (and for that I apologize sincerely - I was never out to hurt feelings or to belittle anyone) - but what I have posted on here is exactly what I would have told someone if they had called the office with the same question. While some of my personal opinion (e.g. on whether or not I would go to Cozumel right now:)) has obviously made it into the posts, I was honestly trying to post as much current/relevant/factual information as I possibly could. The slogan from the PHAC Fight Flu website is "Knowledge is your best defence". I was posting in the hope that I could contribute in whatever way I could to try to ensure that we can have as strong a defence as possible in that regard as this continues to evolve...that or bore you to tears. :rolleyes1;)

I think I maybe need to clarify where I am coming from. I was posting in the hope that I could contribute in whatever way I could to try to ensure that we can have as strong a defence as possible in that regard as this continues to evolve...that or bore you to tears. :rolleyes1;)

Well, SOMEBODY ought to say that you cannnot get the Swine Flu from eating PORK CHOPS!!!!! or any other pork.......:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc

Well, SOMEBODY ought to say that you cannnot get the Swine Flu from eating PORK CHOPS!!!!! or any other pork.......:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc

We had pork chops for supper tonight! :goodvibes I'm not even kidding - felt like we needed to do it in support of our pig farming friends...and we will probably purposely eat more pork in the next month than we have in the past year!! :lmao::thumbsup2

On a related note, just thought I would share that it's not being called "swine flu" anymore in an official capacity, it's influenza A(H1N1). WHO and all of the other "biggies" decided to stop calling it "swine flu" because of the negative impact the term was having on pig farmers/pork producers. It is now officially being called by the actual strain so that they can try to minimize that impact....so if you stop seeing official reports about "swine flu" and see the new name instead, that's where it came from /why it started. A bit of a useless fact, but a fact none the less!

Imagine the hilarious mental picture I had when I first heard a news agency report that "they were still trying to determine if there was human to human spread" (period - no other explanation). Ummm...I'm pretty sure that most vacationers from the US and Canada who came back with cases of the virus weren't going to Mexico to head for a pig farm!!!:rotfl2: Can you imagine? "Screw the beach and the ruins, Myrtle, I'm heading to the farm!!!". Or wait a minute....in all of my cruise planning, did I MISS THE PIG EXCURSION??????!!!!!!!!:eek: :rotfl: How could that happen????:confused::lmao:

Ahhhh....as you can tell, I amuse easily.... ;-)

Yeah, someone tell Paris Hilton too. LOL I saw a video of a pap asking her what she thought about swine flu and she said "I don't eat that"
HAHAHA *shaking my head* She's so clueless.

This was on Fox news, and I hope they continue to research why the flu isn't as bad in the US as it is in Mexico. It sounds like the regular flu vaccines have the N1 virus, which could be providing a little more immunity! I hope it is true.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518514,00.html

Keep washing your hands :)
Great article- thanks!

I think I maybe need to clarify where I am coming from. I am a Public Health Nurse. I take these concerns very seriously, but I am also as educated as I can possibly be about the issue because I have to be. It's not that I don't agree and that's why I am posting, or that I don't think everyone has a right to feel the way they feel. How people feel and whether or not I agree and/or feel the same way has nothing to do with why I have been posting. My job means that part of my role in this whole outbreak is in educating the public about this virus, and dispelling myths/clarifying facts/providing the most up-to-date and timely information from the various relevant bodies (e.g. WHO, PHAC, etc...), and trying to ensure that the people I work with are as educated and informed as they possibly can be so that they can best protect themselves. In all honesty, I am AS concerned about our inability to deal with this virus as best as possible due to fear/misinformation/etc... as I am about the virus itself. Fear and misinformation can without a doubt prevent us from slowing the spread of this virus, and failure to keep things in check will create a state of chaos in which we CAN'T carry out all that has been planned for properly managing a pandemic should we get to that point. When I first started reading this thread, I felt I should post a) because I was ethically conflicted about whether or not I should "just look away" when I was seeing people who were under false impressions, etc..., and b) I (perhaps in error) assumed that if people were looking for information and I could perhaps share some of that information, they would want me to share it. I may not have always worded it in the best way (and for that I apologize sincerely - I was never out to hurt feelings or to belittle anyone) - but what I have posted on here is exactly what I would have told someone if they had called the office with the same question. While some of my personal opinion (e.g. on whether or not I would go to Cozumel right now:)) has obviously made it into the posts, I was honestly trying to post as much current/relevant/factual information as I possibly could. The slogan from the PHAC Fight Flu website is "Knowledge is your best defence". I was posting in the hope that I could contribute in whatever way I could to try to ensure that we can have as strong a defence as possible in that regard as this continues to evolve...that or bore you to tears. :rolleyes1;)

Your perspective has been appreciated by me and I would think others who are looking for a level head in this situation. :) Having a weapon if you don't know how to use it properly is how I look at the mask issue. It would be bad for someone to think that just putting a mask on their face they were going to be preventing their family from getting the flu. If it is going to work they need to know how to properly use it. :) You have taken a lot of time to answer questions and share information with us. Thank you. :goodvibes

Maybe that's true, but who was living in 1918? not me........

Actually the last 2 swine flu outbreaks were in 1976 and 1988.

1918 was the Spanish flu.

still so much confusion about masks.

1. If YOU are sick, wearing a surgical mask will prevent your droplets from aerosolizng when you cough, thus protecting others.

2. a surgical mask offers no protection to the wearer (except maybe in the very rare case that someone coughs right in your face.)

3. a properly fitted respirator type mask will offer some protection, but not much. If properly fitted it will make breathing more difficult. If you can breath easily it's not properly fitted! Back (way back!) when I worked in an AIDS ward most of us didn't bother wearing them they were so uncomfortable.

For those with kids, I've found that the best way to convince them to protect themselves is to point out the unhealthy behavior of others. When you see someone pick their nose, sneeze into their hand etc point it out and ask what that person is going to touch next?

This morning DD is home with a bit of a cold. I'd already talked to her about the current flu, and taking extra precautions. So this morning when she coughed into her elbow, but then touched her nose with her other hand, I pointed out that the germs were now on her hand. I kept this up for about 5 minutes - following the germs - and told her I wasn't picking on her, but wanted her to realize how easily it is to pass germs between people. I think the visual example helped her to "get it."

I'm at work and just looked at a story out of Mobile, Alabama on a Carnival Cruise that skipped Mexico.
I'm amazed, the passengers are LIVID that they didn't stop in Mexico!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter