Alert - Mexico Respiratory Illness * Swine Flu Discussion *

I am not implying that everyone on the board is in a panic - what I am suggesting is that as this continues to evolve, there is significant risk for panic related to fear and misinformation if people don't stay properly informed.

Thank you - yours are among the most well-informed, non-sensational posts I've seen.

I have been posting this to put swine flu at this time in "perspective":

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/28/regular.flu/index.html

The article basically says that 13,000 people in the US have died in the first 4 months of this year of "REGULAR SEASONAL FLU" with upwards of 36,000 expected in all of 2009. That includes every state.

That - to me - is much much scarier than what we've seen so far of the swine flu. I'm not saying it won't get worse - but just keeping it in perspective.

Well, atleast the PANIC has hit home for us.

That's our town that closed the entire school district -even during TAKS testing (which in any other case would take a miracle for that to happen) because of "probable" cases of swine flu in the highschool. I guess panic has gone into full mode- even here in my small-ish town. (I homeschool my kids- so my kids don't get the days off from school. LOL)

I only found out because my church called to let us know that Awanas and service tonight was cancelled also... because the schools closed. So churches and schools are closed. Should I be worried the grocery stores will close and we'll starve? ugh I'm only halfway joking. kinda scary if the world, atleast our little world, shuts down over this.

Bibbidy: I see you are in the Corsicana area. That is a little disturbing about your schools and churches. I am familiar with Corsicana- we pass thru there several times a year on our way to Lake Athens. I am in the Austin area and it was just announced tonight that a preschooler in Austin tested positive for the swine flu and that her school is being closed until further notice. Take care! I hope this stuff settles down soon for all of us!

LMN

There are now 4 confirmed cases at the University of Delaware and several more suspected cases.

We will be on the May 30th Western celebrating our 50th anniversary and plan on having a wonderful trip. I totally trust Disney to make sure everything possible to keep us safe will be done. We could get it here in DE just by going to a restaurant or store than one of the students is at or has been at recently. I just plan on doing everything to keep safe, (wash hand, wash hands, wash hands etc).

I know not everyone feels like we do, but truthfully I could have a wonderful trip on the Magic if we never left Port Canaveral. Just being on the ship is good for us.

I hope everything works out for everyone. Have a great time where ever you go.

Peg

Thank you - yours are among the most well-informed, non-sensational posts I've seen.

I have been posting this to put swine flu at this time in "perspective":

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/28/regular.flu/index.html

The article basically says that 13,000 people in the US have died in the first 4 months of this year of "REGULAR SEASONAL FLU" with upwards of 36,000 expected in all of 2009. That includes every state.

That - to me - is much much scarier than what we've seen so far of the swine flu. I'm not saying it won't get worse - but just keeping it in perspective.

Perspective? - So many people seem to have lost all perspective and the media feeds into it - because scared viewers raise ratings! It's the FLU, people! This isn't 1918 - we have tools to fight with.

Death statistics
FORMAL NAME INFORMAL NAME % ALL DEATHS
(1) Diseases of the heart heart attack (mainly) 28.5%
(2) Malignant neoplasms cancer 22.8%
(3) Cerebrovascular disease stroke 6.7%
(4) Chronic lower respiratory disease emphysema, chronic bronchitis 5.1%
(5) Unintentional injuries accidents 4.4%
(6) Diabetes mellitus diabetes 3.0%
(7) Influenza and pneumonia flu & pneumonia 2.7%

But the press doesn't get excited about 1 - 6 because they're not sensational.

Obviously, its worrisome. Obviously it's necessary to take precautions. But let's try to keep our heads here.

Now with our personal May 2nd over and done at very, very, long last.

Lets be extra careful about our hand washing etc. And most important.

Lets stop and think good thoughts for those poor families who are suffering heartache and loss that cannot compare to Cozumel Vs Nassau.

Especially those who have just lot their children.

And lets hope it ends soon.

Lets stop and think good thoughts for those poor families who are suffering heartache and loss that cannot compare to Cozumel Vs Nassau.

Very Nicely Stated

Absolutely!!!

I got the same reply at 4:00pm. Other cruise lines are avoiding Mexico next week but DCL does not want to be one of them. They are in for one very long week with me on board. I am not happy and will let them know it every day. And no I am not going to cancel. I'm not loosing the money. This is how they want to handle things then they get what they get. There will be no reply to any flames, so save your time and energy. My life, My Feelings, My Choice to make. DCL I hope you are monitoring this board.
:mad:

ok, so now no complaints onboard?

I read about a toddler having the flu in Austin here before I heard it on the news and I live in Austin!!!

At least I know I can still get my news even if I am obsessed with DIS.:lmao:

Oh and I just called dolphin discovery and they honored the price I had already paid for Cozumel and switched it to Grand Cayman for us! Yipee! So be sure not to just cancel, call and change it if you can.

is it the same dolphin swim or do they have different things to do with the dolphins in grand cayman???

TIA....

The local TV news here in Dallas said: The toddler was from Mexico and was with the family from Mexico and came to visit a family in Brownsville? Not sure about how the child got to Huston hospital instead of Brownsville. That is a drive.
Also they said that sources are saying that families from Mexico are wanting to cross and come here in hopes for better health care and also fear of the flu brake in Mexico.
Doesn't all make total sense but Very Very Sad to here either way.

I found this just now from CNN:
Five patients have been hospitalized, including a young child who died in Texas. The toddler was a Mexican citizen who had gone to Houston for treatment, said Kathy Barton, a spokeswoman for the Houston Department of Health and Human Services. developing story
Yes, that is what I read. I think the child was moved to Houston to be a better/children's hospital or something? I dunno but it's obvious he was moved to receive better care when he became more ill. I can kinda understand wanting to go somewhere to get medical care- I'd move hell if it meant my kid might have a better chance of ilving- but it's also the reason I was NOT surprised when I heard the first case of death in US was in my state of Texas.... for obvious reasons (we're closer to Mexico for them to come over to receive medical care)

I may have missed if someone has posted this already, but did you guys see that it also said the boy that died in Houston already had several underlying medical conditions? So that may have played a factor in his death.

Oh and I just called dolphin discovery and they honored the price I had already paid for Cozumel and switched it to Grand Cayman for us! Yipee! So be sure not to just cancel, call and change it if you can.

Yes I did hear that and I'm sure it had something to do with it- he was young, already had underlying medical conditions, and died of a complication (pnuemonia). :(

Yes it does seem like he was sick for about a week due to they were traveling from Mexico City up to Brownsville hoping for better care for the little boy here in the states. But inturn by making him travel and not rest like he would normally this could have effected the out come for this little guy. It is such a sad story and it is so hard to be in a parents place thinking that they have to travel 100's and 100's of miles in hope of better health care and on top of that another country. Prayers for the little boy who died and for his family, I know they were just thinking they were doing the best for the little boy.:hug:
I agree- prayers for his family. :(

Bibbidy: I see you are in the Corsicana area. That is a little disturbing about your schools and churches. I am familiar with Corsicana- we pass thru there several times a year on our way to Lake Athens. I am in the Austin area and it was just announced tonight that a preschooler in Austin tested positive for the swine flu and that her school is being closed until further notice. Take care! I hope this stuff settles down soon for all of us!

LMN
maybe that was an article in Corsicana but our town is the one mentioned in the article (Cleburne) not that far anyway.... LOL

Well said- totally agree.

Some areas around here are totally panicking though.
OUr schools are closed (churches closed too) and the mayor is asking that the daycares to close as well. I don't know what all the working parents are going to do with those children and this is all because of 2 "probable" cases not confirmed yet.
The Fort Worth entire ISD is closed until May 8th as well.

All I know is I had a lot of running around today (dentist appt for youngest that couldn't be put off, dog completely out of dogfood and DS didn't tell me until completely out, had to pick up DH's asthma medication- he's completely out and the dr finally got the fax to the pharmacy today- the appt was on Monday, etc.) and the traffic was HORRENDOUS here especially for in the middle of the day! No one is staying home when school is out. the stores were packed too. Kids playing, riding bikes, etc. everywhere in the neigborhoods- park full of kids when I drove by. Closing the schools isn't going to help really IMO from what I'm seeing around here and closing daycares- then what? stores/businesses have to close because employees are at home with their kids that can't be left home alone? are we going to shut our world down over uncomfirmed cases of another strain of flu? I don't get it. People die from flu every year- lots of people. It's a new flu, no one here has GOT it here and then died and most of these cases are uncomfirmed even the "swine flu" as of yet... I think people are panicking a bit too much around where I live. Calm down people........ that's all I'm saying. The pharmacy said they were swamped all day with Rx's for tamiflu and the dr's were calling in Rx's and told the pharmacy their phones are ringing off the hook with people askng for tamiflu Rx's. calm down people.........

(I'm trying to stay calm myself!)

OMG what if they end up CANCELLING disney cruises? what then? ugh the first time we didn't get insurance on our cruise!

We are going on our first Disney Cruise on May 16 and I have kinda been freaky out for the last few days. I read this on Web MD and it makes me feel much better..

"The new swine flu virus is sensitive to the antiviral drugs Tamiflu and Relenza. The CDC recommends those drugs to prevent or treat swine flu; the drugs are most effective when taken within 48 hours of the start of flu symptoms. But not everyone needs those drugs; many of the first people in the U.S. with lab-confirmed swine flu recovered without treatment."

I didn't know that some of the people infected recovered without any treatment. If you listen to the media, you would think that this is a definite death sentence. Now that I feel better, I think I'll start packing a little and try to finish my FE gifts.

I know this is not a funny situation at all... But this really made me laugh.:lmao:

I do hope that things go better for you and your community and you have no problems on your cruise.
LOL
I was basically saying I'm also telling myself to stay calm. hehe It's not like I'm freaking out- I'm not. but I have to remind myself not to follow the pack mentality when my whole town has gone crazy over this....that makes it harder to ignore and stay calm. I'm more concerned for those with young children and/or babies, or children who would be more susceptible to this being very serious for them if they caught it (ie: having low immune system or other underlying medical conditions already where also catching this flu would be a bad bad thing) -THAT'S who I'm worrying about and I actually do have lots of friends around here with little babies, children with conditions that catching this flu would be very bad for them and matter of fact I have 2 sisters, living in Texas- one very close- that both have small babies under 6mo old. So that part is scarier to me than for our own personal family.

We are going on our first Disney Cruise on May 16 and I have kinda been freaky out for the last few days. I read this on Web MD and it makes me feel much better..

"The new swine flu virus is sensitive to the antiviral drugs Tamiflu and Relenza. The CDC recommends those drugs to prevent or treat swine flu; the drugs are most effective when taken within 48 hours of the start of flu symptoms. But not everyone needs those drugs; many of the first people in the U.S. with lab-confirmed swine flu recovered without treatment."

I didn't know that some of the people infected recovered without any treatment. If you listen to the media, you would think that this is a definite death sentence. Now that I feel better, I think I'll start packing a little and try to finish my FE gifts.

I was talking to my sister about this earlier. I was like hundreds of thousands of people in the U.S. get various strains of flu every year. Upwards of near 40,000 people in the U.S. die from flu every year- so far I haven't heard anything that makes this new strain any different than previous "new strains" EXCEPT THAT it started in Mexico and for various reasons some of those people died. I think that's what is freaking everyone out. Not one U.S. citizen has caught it in the U.S. then died- not one. Compared to 38 something thousand that die in the U.S. from flu every year... so why the big hub-bub? I think the only reason is because quite a few in Mexico DID die... so from the very beginning everyone was like oh no this can KILL YOU (panic mode activated!!!) I know it's better to be safe than sorry but sometimes it goes a bit overboard and people start really freaking out a bit much IMO.

It is reassuring though to here that this strain of flu is sensitive to medications we already have on the market. I guess the pharmacies and dr's today getting overloaded with requests for TamiFlu wasn't such a silly thing after all. Plus I thought I read somewhere on here that DCL did state they'd be stocked with tamiflu in case it was needed on the cruises.... good to know that will actually help! And even better to know that some people recover even without that medication- in case it's hard for anyone to get for whatever reason. Definitely good to hear that. :)

I hope they get a handle on this soon and it goes the way of every other strain of flu we've been thru before. NO pandemic please. Although I'm concerned that so many cases are being "mentioned" on the news that are as of yet uncomfirmed. It seems like everyone who has a flu symptom is automatically assuming the worst- that it's the new flu and that it means a death sentence. Simply not the case. New flu please go away now. Ya hear? You have definitely worn out your welcome, quickly- that's enough! (go away- like off the earth please)

ok, so now no complaints onboard?

:rotfl:

LOL. No, I have no fight left in me.

I've spent so much time on here and waiting to see where we are going to really go to, that I haven't even started to pack.

Again, my heart goes out to those who lost loved ones. And parents who lost children. Cozumel / Nassau, Nassau / Cozumel. Next to the families in pain over loss, we can all surely make lemonade out of Nassau. (A place I can very much take or leave myself) But we are still luckier then those with loss. So now we can plan our new trip itineraries. Sooooooooooo

Lets get on with show. :yay::yay::yay::yay:

LOL
I was basically saying I'm also telling myself to stay calm. hehe It's not like I'm freaking out- I'm not. but I have to remind myself not to follow the pack mentality when my whole town has gone crazy over this....that makes it harder to ignore and stay calm. I'm more concerned for those with young children and/or babies, or children who would be more susceptible to this being very serious for them if they caught it (ie: having low immune system or other underlying medical conditions already where also catching this flu would be a bad bad thing) -THAT'S who I'm worrying about and I actually do have lots of friends around here with little babies, children with conditions that catching this flu would be very bad for them and matter of fact I have 2 sisters, living in Texas- one very close- that both have small babies under 6mo old. So that part is scarier to me than for our own personal family.

I was talking to my sister about this earlier. I was like hundreds of thousands of people in the U.S. get various strains of flu every year. Upwards of near 40,000 people in the U.S. die from flu every year- so far I haven't heard anything that makes this new strain any different than previous "new strains" EXCEPT THAT it started in Mexico and for various reasons some of those people died. I think that's what is freaking everyone out. Not one U.S. citizen has caught it in the U.S. then died- not one. Compared to 38 something thousand that die in the U.S. from flu every year... so why the big hub-bub? I think the only reason is because quite a few in Mexico DID die... so from the very beginning everyone was like oh no this can KILL YOU (panic mode activated!!!) I know it's better to be safe than sorry but sometimes it goes a bit overboard and people start really freaking out a bit much IMO.

It is reassuring though to here that this strain of flu is sensitive to medications we already have on the market. I guess the pharmacies and dr's today getting overloaded with requests for TamiFlu wasn't such a silly thing after all. Plus I thought I read somewhere on here that DCL did state they'd be stocked with tamiflu in case it was needed on the cruises.... good to know that will actually help! And even better to know that some people recover even without that medication- in case it's hard for anyone to get for whatever reason. Definitely good to hear that. :)

I hope they get a handle on this soon and it goes the way of every other strain of flu we've been thru before. NO pandemic please. Although I'm concerned that so many cases are being "mentioned" on the news that are as of yet uncomfirmed. It seems like everyone who has a flu symptom is automatically assuming the worst- that it's the new flu and that it means a death sentence. Simply not the case. New flu please go away now. Ya hear? You have definitely worn out your welcome, quickly- that's enough! (go away- like off the earth please)

Plus I thought I read somewhere on here that DCL did state they'd be stocked with tamiflu in case it was needed on the cruises.... good to know that will actually help!

Yes, I read it also. I think that person called and asked to make sure.

now with our personal may 2nd over and done at very, very, long last.

Lets stop and think good thoughts for those poor families who are suffering heartache and loss that cannot compare to cozumel vs nassau.

amen!

Some areas around here are totally panicking though. OUr schools are closed (churches closed too) and the mayor is asking that the daycares to close as well. I don't know what all the working parents are going to do with those children and this is all because of 2 "probable" cases not confirmed yet...I think people are panicking a bit too much around where I live. Calm down people

In some ways, our public officials may be (inadvertently) helping flame the panic:

---
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090430/ap_on_he_me/med_swine_flu

"Vice President Joe Biden...Biden also said on NBC's "Today" show that he is advising his own family to stay off commercial airlines and even subways because of swine flu. If one person sneezes on a confined aircraft, he said, "it goes all the way through the aircraft."
---

So do people look at that and say "you know, if the VP is telling his own family to avoid air travel, maybe I should too." I don't know what the right answer is.

I had a friend come back from the last 7-night western, and he had done an excursion on Coz (Talum ruins)...he said that had he known about the Swine Flu while he was there, he would have opted not to participate in his Coz excursion.

As far as the "deadly" aspect of the new strain, there is this from the story:

"...Jose Cordova, the Mexican health secretary, said getting proper treatment within 48 hours of falling ill "is fundamental for getting the best results" and suggested people can survive the virus if it is quickly diagnosed and treated.

But it was neither caught quickly nor treated properly in the early days in Mexico, which lacked the capacity to identify the virus, and whose health care system has become the target of widespread anger and distrust. In case after case, patients have complained of being misdiagnosed, turned away by doctors and denied access to drugs..."

I think being cautious is always a good thing against any potential virus, especially when traveling abroad, but do agree there is definitely over sensationalizing going on by the bigger media outlets promoting panic. I mean considering on average there is about 36000 deaths a year from the normal flu strain that would mean since Monday over 300 deaths would have occured on average, funny how I didn't hear about any of those on the news. Yet we get 24 hour coverage of far few deaths in that span related to this new strain. I just find it silly and can't believe our media calls themselves responsible outlets for information. I actually heard one news program call this issue a "threat to humanity"....really?!? I think an asteroid heading directly towards earth is a threat to humanity....then they went on to deem this a "disease"....ALS is a disease...this is a virus. I mean come on people a little fact checking can't hurt.

Well needless to say I will be cruising on the W.Carib in a few weeks myself and trust the fact that Disney will do its best to calm the panic and keep us all healthy...or as healthy as they could on any cruise that sails each week.

For those cruising this week, stay calm and just have fun. You paid tons of money for a great vacation and I guarentee you will get one so don't lose that in your mind....just try to tune out the mass hysteria and relax and tell us all about the great time you had when you get back and make us all look forward to our upcoming vacations, no matter where that may be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter