All about the Autotrain

There are a few reasons. My son’s tolerance for sitting up, whether in a wheelchair or a car seat is about 5 hours. Then he really needs to lie down and sleep attached to machines that need to be plugged in. Since we live in New York, that would mean we’d need to spend 4 days on the road. But he also receives medicine via infusion that needs to be done every 3rd or 4th day in a hospital outpatient setting, which would add a day and a whole other layer of complexity since we’d need to get preapproval for the hospital(s) enroute, plus one in Florida, and figure out how to switch out oxygen tanks midway. The whole thing would be outside my comfort zone.

I am still not sure that the Auto Train will be in my comfort zone either, but it is the only way I can imagine doing such a trip, and even then I can really only imagine it with the support of Make a Wish. So I want to figure out if it’s possible before I broach the topic with my son or my other kids.

Edited to add that you may be thinking “wait there are other kids”? We have two other boys. My tentative thought is that they would drive down with their Grandfather and Uncle who would probably want to come along. They have no stamina or medical issues and would be fine with 16 hours straight in the car.
Thanks for the info. Now I have a better understanding of what a major undertaking this is. I pray it all comes together for you, if not Disney, somewhere else very special where your family will be able to make great memories. I have a friend that just went along on a Make-A-Wish trip with her 10yo granddaughter. The grandaughter and family stayed at Give Kids The Word and the extended family stayed at Orange Lake Resort (I think that is the name).

We have travelled on the Auto Train as a family of four at least 20 times over the past 15 years. There are a few tips and tricks that can be very helpful - especially if you have special needs and are worried about not getting the most favorable meal time. You are allowed to check in at 8:00am when they officially open the station. Bypass the actual car check-in waiting line and drive straight to the small parking area at either Lorton or Sanford. Head inside and they will happily check you in and give you your meal tickets. You are then free to leave and won't need to be back for hours. This gives you a good opportunity to head away from the area for shopping or leisure activities etc.

As for the poster above that has a son with special needs, your room attendant will arrange for meals to be brought to you at your time of choosing. He will ask you this as soon as you board and have settled in.

The poster asking about the family bedroom: It will absolutely work for you. We have used it many times in the past (we stopped when my eldest was 13 as he was too tall for the upper bunk) and there was plenty of room. A family of 5 would be a tight squeeze, but 4 should be fine - especially if the kids are elementary school age or younger. Not having a bathroom in the room is not a big deal. The bathroom are only 20 feet away.

The person worried about driving for 4 days from NY. It's really a 2 day r/t. I drive from CT to Lorton. We usually leave at 4am and hit Lorton before 10am. Most people that drive I-95 to Florida stop half way, then get back on the road in the morning for another day of driving that will get you to your destination late afternoon at best. The train might be a 17hr trip, but you sleep while it continues over night. You arrive at 9am and can be at the parks before noon.

We have travelled on the Auto Train as a family of four at least 20 times over the past 15 years. There are a few tips and tricks that can be very helpful - especially if you have special needs and are worried about not getting the most favorable meal time. You are allowed to check in at 8:00am when they officially open the station. Bypass the actual car check-in waiting line and drive straight to the small parking area at either Lorton or Sanford. Head inside and they will happily check you in and give you your meal tickets. You are then free to leave and won't need to be back for hours. This gives you a good opportunity to head away from the area for shopping or leisure activities etc.

As for the poster above that has a son with special needs, your room attendant will arrange for meals to be brought to you at your time of choosing. He will ask you this as soon as you board and have settled in.

The poster asking about the family bedroom: It will absolutely work for you. We have used it many times in the past (we stopped when my eldest was 13 as he was too tall for the upper bunk) and there was plenty of room. A family of 5 would be a tight squeeze, but 4 should be fine - especially if the kids are elementary school age or younger. Not having a bathroom in the room is not a big deal. The bathroom are only 20 feet away.

The person worried about driving for 4 days from NY. It's really a 2 day r/t. I drive from CT to Lorton. We usually leave at 4am and hit Lorton before 10am. Most people that drive I-95 to Florida stop half way, then get back on the road in the morning for another day of driving that will get you to your destination late afternoon at best. The train might be a 17hr trip, but you sleep while it continues over night. You arrive at 9am and can be at the parks before noon.

I'm the PP worried about the 4 - 5 days of driving. I'm also the mother of the kid with the medical needs.

If I was taking my other two kids to Disney, it would be a 2 day drive. Maybe one day if I had another adult to trade off driving with. They'd sleep in the car, watch way too much screen time, eat lots of junk food, and think it a grand adventure.

But if I took my middle child, we'd be making good time if we drove 5 hours a day, and we'd need to stop both at a hospital, and to switch out oxygen tanks.

If we did the Auto Train, we'd leave the morning after a "hospital day", drive to Lorton, and arrange for early check in to a hotel. We'd hang out there until right before the train left (paying for an extra night if need be) and then head to the train. By the time we got to Florida, it would be time to get to a hospital there for the next infusion. So, it would still be a 3 day trip. That schedule is doable, if we can figure out the oxygen piece.

I sincerely hope it works out for you! Another thing to ask is what day were you planning on taking the train? If it's midweek you are at the mercy of freight trains as CSX owns the tracks and Amtrak has to give way to railway companies that pay them for track usage. This may cause you delays that might be stressful. Friday and Saturday departures are usually always on time or early due to freight free tracks (subject to weather of course). All I can tell you is that the Auto Train staff on board will bend over backwards to help make your trip as comfortable as possible. Good luck!

I sincerely hope it works out for you! Another thing to ask is what day were you planning on taking the train? If it's midweek you are at the mercy of freight trains as CSX owns the tracks and Amtrak has to give way to railway companies that pay them for track usage. This may cause you delays that might be stressful. Friday and Saturday departures are usually always on time or early due to freight free tracks (subject to weather of course). All I can tell you is that the Auto Train staff on board will bend over backwards to help make your trip as comfortable as possible. Good luck!

If we do this, my guess is that we'd ask for either February 2020, or October 2020, both of which are a long way away. A lot could happen between now and then that might impact the schedule. But if we were planning for now, I think the ideal would be for us to leave home on a Wednesday, leave Lorton on a Thursday and arrive in Orlando on a Friday, and then leave Orlando on the following Thursday. But like I said, that could totally change.

We got an email from Amtrak announcing a 40% off sale. I was surprised it applied to the Auto Train so we booked our December trip at a nice savings. Sale ends tomorrow.

We got an email from Amtrak announcing a 40% off sale. I was surprised it applied to the Auto Train so we booked our December trip at a nice savings. Sale ends tomorrow.

Was there a code? I didn't get that email. I've already booked so I don't know if I could cancel and re-book or not.

Was there a code? I didn't get that email. I've already booked so I don't know if I could cancel and re-book or not.
There wasn’t a code. I signed into the site using my rewards info and the discounted price showed up in the super saver fare.

We have an Auto Train reservation for early October. I called Amtrak to see if I could save any money with the sale...they said my rate was lower than the sale. Maybe because we booked early and/or have the senior rate.

But if you call, and can save money, Amtrak will re-price your reservation.

Yeah, I think super saver is just for coach seats. Since we have a family bedroom I'm sure the deal doesn't apply. I did a mock booking and our price was cheaper than the rates currently. I'll keep an eye on price drops just in case though.

Amtrak recently announced some future changes to the Auto Train’s operations. See the press release below.

I think the important parts of the announcement are: coach tickets won’t include dinner; sleeper passengers will get wine with dinner; and there will be an up charge for larger vehicles (vehicles with three rows).

The other parts of the announcement seem minor: there will be a new menu in the dining car; more food will be for sale in the lounge; there will be food trucks at the stations before departure; they’re getting new linens and towels in sleepers; and they’ll be adding more sleeper cars to the standard train makeup.

https://media.amtrak.com/2019/07/amtrak-investing-in-the-auto-train-customer-experience/
JULY 15, 2019
AMTRAK INVESTING IN THE AUTO TRAIN CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE
Changes to debut by January 2020

WASHINGTON – Amtrak will introduce a series of enhancements on the Auto Train during the next six months. This train offers daily, non-stop service from Lorton, Va. (near Washington, D.C.), and Sanford, Fla. (near Orlando). Customers can skip I-95 and travel with their vehicles, including cars, vans, SUVs, motorcycles, and even small boats or jet-skis.

Customers in the Sleeping Car will notice enhancements such as upgraded towels and bed linens and other pleasantries in each room. The dining car will feature a new menu and the addition of complimentary wine to the dinner service. This complimentary dinner service will become an exclusive amenity to Sleeping Car customers beginning on Jan. 15, 2020.

Amtrak will also expand the availability of every Sleeping Car accommodation — Roomette, Bedroom, Family Bedroom and Accessible Bedroom — to meet the demand for this class of service.

Coach customers will continue to take advantage of low fares and can choose from new dining options with the debut of the Cross-Country Café. Beginning on Jan. 15, 2020, the new menu will offer more meals, snacks and beverages for sale. At that time, Coach class tickets will no longer include complimentary dinner service. Coach customers will receive a complimentary continental breakfast prior to arrival at the Amtrak stations in Lorton, Va., or Sanford, Fla.

For all customers, food trucks will be on-site in Lorton, Va., and Sanford, Fla., to offer a variety of dining options before their journey begins.

“These upgrades represent an investment in improving the travel experience on this one-of-a-kind train,” Amtrak President and CEO Richard Anderson said. “Our continued success depends on increasing customer satisfaction by upgrading sleeping accommodations, keeping Coach as an affordable option and providing more choice in food options in the station and onboard.”

By the start of 2020, customers can take advantage of additional offers to travel on the Auto Train:
  • Share Fares will be available for travel with up to three companions. The discount will be up to 70% for a group of four and apply to select departures
  • The Oversized Vehicles fare will be available for minivans, full-size pick-up trucks and SUVs with three or more rows. This option will allow customers to pack more into their vehicle.
  • Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Executive members will receive a complimentary priority offload coupon as part of their tier member benefits.

Last edited:
I like how they try to spin the oversized vehicle charge into a positive by saying you can now pack more in your vehicle, so it’s better 🙄. We have always taken our large 3 row Expedition EL and packed it, for a non upcharge price! Now if we go we’ll have to pay for an oversized vehicle to do the same thing. I understand prices go up, things get cut, things change, etc, but I really hate when companies try to convince us they’re doing something good for us when it’s actually a cut or price increase. I’m not an idiot! The only people who won’t know better are new riders, and as time goes on less and less people will remember that it used to be better and it will become the new norm. Like I read they used to have movies and free wine and cheese at night, IIRC.

I like how they try to spin the oversized vehicle charge into a positive by saying you can now pack more in your vehicle, so it’s better 🙄. We have always taken our large 3 row Expedition EL and packed it, for a non upcharge price! Now if we go we’ll have to pay for an oversized vehicle to do the same thing. I understand prices go up, things get cut, things change, etc, but I really hate when companies try to convince us they’re doing something good for us when it’s actually a cut or price increase. I’m not an idiot! The only people who won’t know better are new riders, and as time goes on less and less people will remember that it used to be better and it will become the new norm. Like I read they used to have movies and free wine and cheese at night, IIRC.

I totally agree there. We have always taken our 3-row vehicle but now we'll have to think twice about that if we choose to do the Autotrain again. I like that they are bringing the wine back since when we first traveled the AT they did have the free wine/cheese/snacks in the lounge early and the movies as well, though we never did the movie thing as it was easier to just use our own devices in our room to watch movies then try to watch on a tiny tv screen in a large lounge car.

Great video! Two questions, the Auto Train website recommends disabling your car alarm, I suppose the motion on the trip might set it off, is this necessary? Also, any prohibition on bringing your own adult beverages with you? Not that such would stop me, just wondering if I have to be sly about it.

Bill From PA

Also, any prohibition on bringing your own adult beverages with you? Not that such would stop me, just wondering if I have to be sly about it.
There is not a specific prohibition on bringing/consuming alcohol on-board. And you're generally allowed to bring food and drink aboard and consume it, so it sounds like adult beverages are okay.

We brought a soft-sided cooler bag on my first trip with my family, filled with juice boxes, etc. Bags aren't screened, so sounds like its fine. Here's a ling to Amtrak's overall food policy:

https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/meals-dining/personal-food-beverages-medication.html
ETA: In the link above there's this wording:

Private Stock
You may bring aboard your own private stock of alcoholic beverages subject to the following limitations:
  • You may consume private stock alcoholic beverages only in Sleeping Car accommodations for which you have a valid ticket.
  • You may not consume private stock alcoholic beverages in any public areas.
So drinking your own supply is somewhat prohibited in coach.

Last edited:
Great video! Two questions, the Auto Train website recommends disabling your car alarm, I suppose the motion on the trip might set it off, is this necessary? Also, any prohibition on bringing your own adult beverages with you? Not that such would stop me, just wondering if I have to be sly about it.

Bill From PA
Technically you're not supposed to bring your own alcohol if you're in coach, but I have and I've seen others but we also were always in cars with adults and older children. We now stay in sleepers or roomettes on every trip and I always bring wine. I've never seen anyone told they can't in coach. It is allowed in sleepers.

A lot of the "changes" they're making are simply bringing back what they used to have. Wine, charging for larger vehicles, etc. Larger vehicles used to be by length. I have a Toyota Highlander that technically has 3 rows, but it's not as long as a lot of SUV's so I wonder if they consider it large.

Technically you're not supposed to bring your own alcohol if you're in coach, but I have and I've seen others but we also were always in cars with adults and older children. We now stay in sleepers or roomettes on every trip and I always bring wine. I've never seen anyone told they can't in coach. It is allowed in sleepers.

A lot of the "changes" they're making are simply bringing back what they used to have. Wine, charging for larger vehicles, etc. Larger vehicles used to be by length. I have a Toyota Highlander that technically has 3 rows, but it's not as long as a lot of SUV's so I wonder if they consider it large.
I just noticed the 'private stock' part of the page I linked to....

One could always play dumb and argue that you thought you just weren't allowed to drink this:
669.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!