All Clubs Closing in Downtown Disney

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a thread on the Disney Rumors and News section further down that has a short youtube link so you can see what it is like. There are also comments from people who saw the link and also from people who are at PI/Downtown and reported on it.

Within the Disney RUmors and News scroll down to "so what's coming to the new PI?" The last page has info on the "celebration" and the link to the video.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info, I will go check it out!:thumbsup2

Adventurers Club still very sorely missed by thousands. Huge mistake on Disney's part.

The folks at the Disney company have claimed that they have already put into consideration the needs of Adult vistors who visit WDW before they closed Pleasure Island.

Right. And Anna Nicole married for love.

Sarcasm aside, I don't belive that the company have given one wit about the needs of their adult visitors otherwise they would have been aware of the mistake they were making.

After spending a day at any of the parks at the resort around kids and soda pop, adults still need a place to call their own. A place that the over 21 crowd can visit after dark where there are no children. A Place where they can dance to loud music, mingle with other adults, and drink something other than overpriced Coke or Sprite WITHOUT having to travel to other places outside the resort like CityWalk located at one of their biggest competitors, Universal Studios. I always thought in the resort business it was considers good practice to keep paying custumors INSIDE the park. Well the Disney company isn't going to get that by building more shops and resturants in witch the entire area already has more than enough of! Consider that, Disney!

The folks at the Disney company have claimed that they have already put into consideration the needs of Adult vistors who visit WDW before they closed Pleasure Island.

Right. And Anna Nicole married for love.

Sarcasm aside, I don't belive that the company have given one wit about the needs of their adult visitors otherwise they would have been aware of the mistake they were making.

After spending a day at any of the parks at the resort around kids and soda pop, adults still need a place to call their own. A place that the over 21 crowd can visit after dark where there are no children. A Place where they can dance to loud music, mingle with other adults, and drink something other than overpriced Coke or Sprite WITHOUT having to travel to other places outside the resort like CityWalk located at one of their biggest competitors, Universal Studios. I always thought in the resort business it was considers good practice to keep paying custumors INSIDE the park. Well the Disney company isn't going to get that by building more shops and resturants in witch the entire area already has more than enough of! Consider that, Disney!

Disney is a money making machine. I have to assume that it did consider the needs of its adult visitors and that many adult guests will now be spending their evening enteretainment dollars at CityWalk. Evidently, taking all that into consideration, the powers that be simply determined that the clubs at PI were not making enough money.

You and I might not like it, but Disney is not in business just to make you and me happy. It is in business to make money. And I'm sure they'll find some other way to make more money with the real estate formerly occupied by the clubs.

Disney is a money making machine. I have to assume that it did consider the needs of its adult visitors and that many adult guests will now be spending their evening enteretainment dollars at CityWalk. Evidently, taking all that into consideration, the powers that be simply determined that the clubs at PI were not making enough money.

You and I might not like it, but Disney is not in business just to make you and me happy. It is in business to make money. And I'm sure they'll find some other way to make more money with the real estate formerly occupied by the clubs.

You are right, but I have to disagree with your comment about Disney not in the business of "making you and me happy." Happy customers come back. So, I believe they are in the business of making mom and dad happy. They're the ones who bring the kids back year after year.

I had my first experience with Disney nightlife, post-PI, the other night. My girlfriend, whom I graduated with 30 odd years ago, is in town staying at CB. She cut loose from her hubby and kids and said, "Let's go out." Well, the only place I could possibly think of bringing her, while staying close to Disney, was Atlantic Dance. It was fun, but it sure made me think how much fun it would have been to go to PI. She was very disappointed, and unaware, that they had closed until I told her the bad news. Our choices as adults are very limited now.

I have to agree that Disney is really lacking when it comes adult nightlife. My girlfriend and I are in our late 20's and would love it if we had more nightlife options for our upcoming trip in June. I just think Disney realized that it would make more money from shops and restaurants than they do from running clubs.

In the end, it seems like Disney is wiling to risk having a small percentage of folks wander off property if they can make more money from other ventures that will make up for the loss of people going off property and then some. A large number of people that visit WDW use the Magical Express service and I'd be willing to bet that the majority of those people will just stay on property anyway. The people that do not use the Magical Express service and perhaps rent a car probably already go off property and Disney has just chalked them up as a loss. Disney has figured out another way to generate more income which they believe will be greater than the losses incurred by guests going off property.

You are right, but I have to disagree with your comment about Disney not in the business of "making you and me happy." Happy customers come back. So, I believe they are in the business of making mom and dad happy. They're the ones who bring the kids back year after year.

I had my first experience with Disney nightlife, post-PI, the other night. My girlfriend, whom I graduated with 30 odd years ago, is in town staying at CB. She cut loose from her hubby and kids and said, "Let's go out." Well, the only place I could possibly think of bringing her, while staying close to Disney, was Atlantic Dance. It was fun, but it sure made me think how much fun it would have been to go to PI. She was very disappointed, and unaware, that they had closed until I told her the bad news. Our choices as adults are very limited now.

To be clear, I said Disney is not in business just to make you and me happy. While part of its buisness is, in fact, making people happy, when certain things that make people happy are not making lots of money in the process, those things must be dispensed with in favor of something more profitable.

I suppose that is what happened with the clubs at PI. They made some of there adult guests happy. However, Disney would settle on customers being less happy shopping in stores at those locations if it means making more money.

My guess is that while the clubs may be open only a few hours a night, a shop will attract the tourist dollar all day.

The sad part about this whole things is that I didn't even know about all that PI had to offer.

I knew about the nightclubs but as a single mother with minor children, I could never go. Now that my children are older and can be left alone, they close PI :sad2:

I have visited WDW every year since 2006 and I didn't even know about the Adventurer's Club or the Comedy club until I read they were closing. And I had to read about that here on the DIS. I wonder if Disney had done a better job of promoting these venues, if they would have drawn bigger crowds.

We were lucky enough to visit the AC before it closed during our trip last August. Myself and my two DSs - ages 20 and 15 - had so much fun that night. I know that we would have gone to AC several times during each of our trips.

I'm going to WDW solo next month for the first time and I am wondering what I will do at night when I leave the parks. I'm not renting a car so I can't go to Citywalk. It would have been great to be able to spend some time at PI.

I have to agree that Disney is really lacking when it comes adult nightlife. My girlfriend and I are in our late 20's and would love it if we had more nightlife options for our upcoming trip in June. I just think Disney realized that it would make more money from shops and restaurants than they do from running clubs.

In the end, it seems like Disney is wiling to risk having a small percentage of folks wander off property if they can make more money from other ventures that will make up for the loss of people going off property and then some. A large number of people that visit WDW use the Magical Express service and I'd be willing to bet that the majority of those people will just stay on property anyway. The people that do not use the Magical Express service and perhaps rent a car probably already go off property and Disney has just chalked them up as a loss. Disney has figured out another way to generate more income which they believe will be greater than the losses incurred by guests going off property.

Very eloquently written. It's all about the bottom line. I talked with some Castmembers who either currently worked at PI or have in the past, and they all agreed that when Disney opened PI to everyone, they not only attracted gang problems, which was a huge liability for Disney, they cut into their bottom line. Since they are accountable to their shareholders, and PI was losing money, they had no choice but to take it one step further and revamp the entire area.

I just want to point that you are in your 20s and are affected. I am going to be 50 in November (still think I am 20!), and I still loved to go out to dance and hang out at my personal favorite, the Adventurers Club. So, it did affect all adults, of many different generations.

Very eloquently written. It's all about the bottom line. I talked with some Castmembers who either currently worked at PI or have in the past, and they all agreed that when Disney opened PI to everyone, they not only attracted gang problems, which was a huge liability for Disney, they cut into their bottom line. Since they are accountable to their shareholders, and PI was losing money, they had no choice but to take it one step further and revamp the entire area.

I know that there was the perception of PI being the source of gang activity at DTD, but I don't think that was actually the case. If anything, it was/is the AMC theater that was the source of the teens that were hanging around DTD and PI. Sadly, since so many people believed it was because of PI, I can understand why Disney would want to seem like they were doing something to eliminate the perceived problem. Revamping the area makes people think that there's no longer a gang issue - which is sad, since there really wasn't one to begin with.

In regard to the bolded - though PI wasn't making as much money as they hoped it would lately, I think I remember reading in an interview with Kevin Lansberry that PI was still profitable. The real issue seemed to be that Disney wanted to outsource the area - which didn't work out as well as they hoped, given the downturn in the economy.

I know everyone probably thinks I'm out of my mind but I don't think the Adventurers Club is gone for good. I think the public outcry was big enough that the executives will either (after an appropriate amount of time so it doesnt LOOK like they made a mistake) reopen it where it is (after all other changes are made to the area) or it will be relocated somewhere else...perhaps the AK.....and it will incorporate dining also.

Something about those limited edition cups on those last few days made me think this......I keep thinking why would they have those cups - for the fans to look at in their homes - if it wasn't an advertising ploy.

but then again...maybe I am just projecting my hopes and refusing to face facts!!:rotfl::rotfl:

I know everyone probably thinks I'm out of my mind but I don't think the Adventurers Club is gone for good. I think the public outcry was big enough that the executives will either (after an appropriate amount of time so it doesnt LOOK like they made a mistake) reopen it where it is (after all other changes are made to the area) or it will be relocated somewhere else...perhaps the AK.....and it will incorporate dining also.

Something about those limited edition cups on those last few days made me think this......I keep thinking why would they have those cups - for the fans to look at in their homes - if it wasn't an advertising ploy.

but then again...maybe I am just projecting my hopes and refusing to face facts!!:rotfl::rotfl:

Hope I don't jinx us, but I agree with you. I keep walking by the club, and not one thing has been removed. Of course, nothing has been done to the other clubs that I know about (I can't exactly look in the glass door of Mannequins), but the Adventurers Club is untouched, unscathed, and that right there has given me hope.

I hope you're right!! Ooooh the Adventure's Club as dinner theater would be fantastic!!!

I so hope you're right. I don't think I felt as emotional about anything closing since Kitchen Kabaret became Food Rocks.

Now, where can I get one of those limited edition cups? (I know, eBay).

That would be great if you are right!!:thumbsup2

I would love to see what this cup looks like, could you post a pic of it?

I would love to see what this cup looks like, could you post a pic of it?

108055101_2895.JPG

My entire family is extremely disappointed with the news of Pleasure Island changing. Everyone who is a long time fan can remember when the revisions were done a couple of years ago and added the Irish restaurant, and knew this was inevitable. With the closing of the Comedy Warehouse and also the Adventurers Club (of which we visited every night we were in the area), you have lost most of the appeal for us to visit Disney.

You've lost some long time customers with this change. I just hope that the new restaurants you are adding will make up for all of the customers who travel multiple times a year just to see the entertainment there no longer coming.

Hopefully you listen to the petition. Or, I hope that you take these ideas and replace them in the new 'adult theme park' there has been talks of being planned. Without Pleasure Island, there is no Disney.

My entire family is extremely disappointed with the news of Pleasure Island changing. Everyone who is a long time fan can remember when the revisions were done a couple of years ago and added the Irish restaurant, and knew this was inevitable. With the closing of the Comedy Warehouse and also the Adventurers Club (of which we visited every night we were in the area), you have lost most of the appeal for us to visit Disney.

You've lost some long time customers with this change. I just hope that the new restaurants you are adding will make up for all of the customers who travel multiple times a year just to see the entertainment there no longer coming.

Hopefully you listen to the petition. Or, I hope that you take these ideas and replace them in the new 'adult theme park' there has been talks of being planned. Without Pleasure Island, there is no Disney.

Let me be the first to say welcome to the boards!!! Back on topic, it will feel wierd without the "adult" section of Downtown Disney...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter