Almost just back........many random thoughts

eastendlights

DIS Veteran
DD and I spent 10 nights/11 days Beach Club deluxe room from 2/27 to 3/9-the latest in a series of yearly trips-the last two mother/ daughter as she is in college and has a different spring break than our son-who at 14 is now way more content to go off road jeep/dirt bike riding with DH in Utah (where they are right now) than go to WDW-go figure!!!???

The newly renovated Stone Harbor Club is amazing-so spacious and comfortable and the concierge CM's were as helpful as they have always been in the past. The FoF parade was cancelled due to rain one day and they issued us new FP's for our next day at MK even though none were available. They were able to same day cancel and rebook our HDDR ADR's and cancel a few others with no penalty as well. This, unfortunately was due to the second year in a row cases of food poisoning!! Our 5th day there we ate potato salad in Epcot-I had one bite-DD ate the rest, and 36 hours later she was very sick and I was mildly so. That was the only food we both ate and I had the same symptoms-but much more severe-last year after eating flautas that were improperly cooked-still frozen in the middle-at Maya Grill. This put quite the damper on a few days-DD spent a whole day in bed and was not feeling better until really the last two days of our trip. I know I will now hear-how can we be sure that is what it was-believe me, I know, and apparently so do the CM's at the Stone Harbor Club who acknowledged that it happens more than you would think.

We loved the room-our first deluxe-when we travel as a family we have always had 2 bedroom suites (minus the surprise upgrade to the Presidential 2 years ago). Last year we stayed in a CL water view room-the extra room in the deluxe was great and well worth it.

It was DD's 19th birthday while we were there. Ordered an awesome cake from CR to be delivered to BOG. The cake was fabulous, they honored our request to IPO to be seated in the West Wing (I actually inquired when I checked in and was told there would be at least a 45 minute wait to be seated there and voila, the IPO ADR request was honored.) Due to the lingering food poisoning, however, she only ate two bites of a $110 dollar cake.

We had some issues with FP's on our MB's-more so than last year.

Our best meal by a mile was at Shula's. Looking back over the years, the food quality has really suffered at WDW, this being the first time that we noticed a steep decline. The following are all places we had enjoyed tremendously in the past on many trips. These are, of course, our opinions, but I think they are fair as we had dined every place I mention often.

Breakfast buffets/ meals at 'Ohana and Cape May Cafe were mediocre-eggs at CMC tasted powdered and the biscuits were soggy, potatoes at 'Ohana were undercooked, fruit was not ripe at both.

The use of salt has gotten out of hand at most TS restaurants. I had previously loved the potato leek soup at BOG-it was a salt lick this time as were the chicken breast and braised pork at dinner (slightly less than the soup-I actually sent it back it was so bad and I never send anything back). While I enjoyed my chicken at The Wave and both of our apps (crab cakes, pretzel bites) were good, DD's short ribs were insanely salty and her carrots and asparagus still very crunchy and undercooked.

'Ohana dinner was not good either. The apps and dessert were the best parts of the meal. The chicken and beef were very fatty and salty and the vegetables mushy. The shrimp were pretty good.

HDDR-I hate to say it-minus side dishes-the food was awful. This was our 6th time there and I can't see going back until I have grandchildren to take there-LOL. The ribs and chicken were downright nasty and the dessert was inedible-too syrupy sweet strawberries with tasteless whipped cream-really bad.

Most consistent and enjoyable meals other than Shula's-Yak and Yeti, Tusker House, Liberty Tree dinner and lunch, Plaza and Mama Melrose.

We had major issues with our ADR's. Our reservations disappeared from the system about 5 times. We checked in at Prime Time, it took 10 minutes to determine that our ADR was not there, were told it would be 15 minutes, waited almost an hour, went back to check, and were told that our ADR was cancelled!!!! We were then told it would be another 15 minutes and I told them to forget it. Sure enough, we were charged the $20 penalty (which was then credited by the CM at our hotel). We had our ADR go missing at Rose and Crown, were taken as walk ups, ate and were then charged a penalty for missing an ADR that disappeared even after we ate there anyway!!! In all we had 4 false penalty charges-all reversed- but it is ridiculous that I had to spend precious vacation time sorting all of this out. We were told they are converting to a new ADR system-who knows?? Make sure to check your charges though.

SDMT-rode it 6 times-lots of fun-love the smaller seats-we are small so we always feel like the last two peas being thrown around in a can on most roller coasters-but we thought it was very short-a third the time of SM and half of BTM.

FoF parade was cool-the dragon and costumes of the stilt walkers were amazing but the rest was lacking something. I remember being more impressed by other parades in the past.

The Hub looks great-lots of people laying around on the fake grass though-DD thought that was "gross"-LOL-like using someone's old beach towel.

I hate to sound like we were miserable-we did have a good time and will go back next year-but I do see lots of areas that could improve. I do think the parks were not as clean as in the past and the CM's in the parks don't have the same positive attitudes we previously experienced. There were lots of annoying people who do not monitor their kids enough (or at all), people bumping into us constantly on lines, taking flash pictures in dark rides, etc-things we unfortunately have come to expect and try our best to ignore. My DD is studying Entertainment Event management with an idea of maybe working at WDW some day and she vehemently decided she would do so only if she did not have to deal with the guests-ever-LOL. I can understand why some CM's have changed their attitudes-it can't be easy putting up with that every day.

I'd be happy to answer any questions if I can.

For the past ten years or so, Disney has been in decline. I think that it is suffering from poor management and trying too hard to make bonuses and more money for the stockholders and CEO. I wish Bob Iger was gone. I really do not want to go this year, but my husband still enjoys the parks.....although, he is really beginning to get irritated with the poor service. Maybe things will improve soon. Who knows?

In several reviews I have also noticed complaints of over salted food. Just get use to burgers and fries the whole time an you will be OK.:teeth:

I'm curious what you mean by "nasty" regarding the food at the the HDDR. Was it spoiled?

We noticed the same rising salt content and it was getting pretty gross. Worse one was a breakfast crouissant at Pepper Market that tasted like someone dumped a salt shaker on it.

We are here now and discovering a ton of great food choices just outside the gates.

I'm curious what you mean by "nasty" regarding the food at the the HDDR. Was it spoiled?
No, not spoiled-the ribs were very fatty and had a strange aftertaste-I don't know what it was. The chicken was very salty-I admit I am not a big fried chicken fan but DD is and she did not like it. Like I said, we have eaten there before and were very pleased. I don't pretend to be a gourmet, but I do cook, I worked in Manhattan for many years pre-kids, and grew up in the suburbs-having dined at great NYC restaurants all my life as well as lived 20 minutes away from Providence, RI-one of the great food cities in the country- for 12 years-and vacationed often in San Francisco -so I do know how good food should taste-not that everything appeals to everyone, obviously, just offering MO.

Wow, you had some awful luck with food and ADRs. :( That sounds so stressful. Glad you and your daughter enjoyed yourselves anyway!

I'm curious about the missing ADRs. Did you have your confirmation #'s on hand or had the entire reservation just disappear? I've been screen-shotting every reservation but is that not good enough?

I hope everybody who is getting over salted food is sending the food back and making the chef fix the mistake. Only way there is even hope it will improve is if we let them know.

The over-salted food seems to be a frequent complaint and concerns me. My mom is on a salt-restricted diet. She has shared with me some of the nutritional information from many of the chain restaurants and it's amazing how high it is. Can't imagine what the sodium content is at WDW restaurants. It will definitely be a challenge trying to find low sodium foods for her on our next trip.

Just get use to burgers and fries the whole time an you will be OK.:teeth:

In 2010 my cousin got a hamburger in MK that was frighteningly salty. It was as though they had emptied a salt shaker on the patty in the kitchen. So even burgers aren't safe...

What did you think about the food at Be Oue Guest?

We had lunch there our first full day and dinner later in the trip. The lunch was okay-we both had sandwiches-roast beef and turkey. They were good but the fries they came with were like all of the counter service fries in MK-McDonald's clones. For something called pomme frites on the menu-I expected a little more-LOL. The fries at The Plaza and Liberty Tree are way better. I had the soup at lunch and sent it back-probably one of the saltiest things I have ever eaten and I like salt. We did get a table right by the window in the ballroom so that was good!

Dinner was way over salted also. DD had the chicken and I had the pork-both over salted. The sides and sauces were as well. Honestly the best thing we ate at dinner was the garden salad with vinaigrette. O/T We did not order dessert because I had ordered the cake-chocolate with peanut butter cup filling it was amazingly good-moist, very chocolaty and not too sweet like some cakes can be.

I actually canceled our second lunch ADR and changed to Liberty Tree-that should speak volumes about what we thought. I would go back-but not more than once a trip. Also they were taking tons of walk-ins our first day at lunch-there was a whole line of people all the way from the beginning of the bridge into the restaurant-I don't know if that is still the case.

Last edited:
I'm curious about the missing ADRs. Did you have your confirmation #'s on hand or had the entire reservation just disappear? I've been screen-shotting every reservation but is that not good enough?
They were still on our MDE with the numbers so we showed them that on our phones. The entire reservation just disappeared from Prime Time, Rose and Crown, Beaches and Cream, 'Ohana and Liberty Tree. So by my calculations, Disney owes ME a hundred bucks-LOL. Very annoying, I have to say.

In several reviews I have also noticed complaints of over salted food.
3ce10.jpg

My DD is studying Entertainment Event management with an idea of maybe working at WDW some day and she vehemently decided she would do so only if she did not have to deal with the guests-ever-LOL. I can understand why some CM's have changed their attitudes-it can't be easy putting up with that every day.

I'd be happy to answer any questions if I can.[/QUOTE]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter