ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Us too! I just logged into MDE, ( I try to avoid doing so every day, LOL), we are 121 days out!
We are excited, even with no cabanas, ad East pool construction! Of course, we only go to Disney about every 3 years on average, and this will be our last trip for a very, very long time.

I got 199 problems but not checking in at day 200 isn't one of them! :D

New here!

We are usually a WL family, aside from last year when we stayed at the GF. We are excited to be going back to the WL, but with the 30% off at the Poly standard rooms, it makes for a great deal. I was about to change and saw that not all the rooms have patios or balconies. My husband smokes (and when he can't he's not in the best mood) and he would not be happy with a room without either. Has anyone ever had problems getting either a patio or balcony? This would be a deal breaker for us. I really don't want to stay in a room without one either. I know it's only the 2nd floors, but during the busy season, who knows. We're going July 11th-17th.

I'm a little disappointed with the 2 responses I received from this. I posted this with the hopes that I would receive feedback on what staying on the 2nd floor would be like and if requests are usually granted, maybe I should have been more specific. I certainly didn't need to be reprimanded on the smoking issue. As the mother of the family I also use the balcony to dry off swimming suits and towels and to sometimes close the door and get away for 5 minutes while my 5 year old twins fight over their newly bought souvenir's. I understand I can only make the request, but wanted to know if there was a better likelihood if I requested (obviously balcony) and patio, certain building, ect. Has anyone gotten there, been given a 2nd floor room and been able to have it switched, ect.? If I'm paying the prices of a deluxe room, a balcony or patio (I think this is even better because correct me if I'm wrong, you might have a little more room?) is important to me. I want to have as much information as possible before I decide this switch. I switched to the GF from WL and it was not a good move for us. My mom always wanted to stay there and we went based on her passing away and it was too emotional and I want this trip to make up for last year.

So if someone could provide be with more productive feedback, I would really appreciate it. I'm leaning towards the switch and getting more excited about, but just want more information about your experiences. I've never stayed there. Just WL, GF, and CBR.

New here!

We are usually a WL family, aside from last year when we stayed at the GF. We are excited to be going back to the WL, but with the 30% off at the Poly standard rooms, it makes for a great deal. I was about to change and saw that not all the rooms have patios or balconies. My husband smokes (and when he can't he's not in the best mood) and he would not be happy with a room without either. Has anyone ever had problems getting either a patio or balcony? This would be a deal breaker for us. I really don't want to stay in a room without one either. I know it's only the 2nd floors, but during the busy season, who knows. We're going July 11th-17th.

As a former smoker and now smoking electronic cigarettes, I can see getting defensive about feeling like you were reprimanded about the smoking. I do not feel that was the case, quoted above, is your original question, and if my reading comprehension is working today, I read that to mean, he would want to smoke on the patio or balcony, which is not allowed. Sorry, I don't see a reason for hurt feelings on this one. I vapor, not one that blows those big clouds and there is no smell whatsoever that comes from my device. I still abide by the rules, and will have go to the DSA's to indulge in my habit.

So if someone could provide be with more productive feedback, I would really appreciate it. I'm leaning towards the switch and getting more excited about, but just want more information about your experiences. I've never stayed there. Just WL, GF, and CBR.

The problem is there are no guarantees, but if you are looking for a patio or balcony, you chances are very good.

I'm a little disappointed with the 2 responses I received from this. I posted this with the hopes that I would receive feedback on what staying on the 2nd floor would be like and if requests are usually granted, maybe I should have been more specific. I certainly didn't need to be reprimanded on the smoking issue. As the mother of the family I also use the balcony to dry off swimming suits and towels and to sometimes close the door and get away for 5 minutes while my 5 year old twins fight over their newly bought souvenir's. I understand I can only make the request, but wanted to know if there was a better likelihood if I requested (obviously balcony) and patio, certain building, ect. Has anyone gotten there, been given a 2nd floor room and been able to have it switched, ect.? If I'm paying the prices of a deluxe room, a balcony or patio (I think this is even better because correct me if I'm wrong, you might have a little more room?) is important to me. I want to have as much information as possible before I decide this switch. I switched to the GF from WL and it was not a good move for us. My mom always wanted to stay there and we went based on her passing away and it was too emotional and I want this trip to make up for last year.

Many people do have their requests granted, many do not. I would think that requesting a specific building would make it harder to have your request for a balcony or patio honored since they would be looking for them only in that building vs any patio or balcony. Since there are more rooms on both the first and third floors together than the second, I would think it an easy request to meet if thats the only request you have! ;)

I am sorry if you felt reprimanded - I missed the statements. However, seeing that you specifically said: "I was about to change and saw that not all the rooms have patios or balconies. My husband smokes (and when he can't he's not in the best mood) and he would not be happy with a room without either." I can see why people would make sure you knew that smoking in those areas is not allowed. As someone who suffers from asthma and frequently get migraines when I breathe smoke, I do hope he takes us poor folk into account before he lights up on your balcony or patio. People like me can dodge smoking areas if we know where they are! :)

Does anyone know what the lines are like at Trader Sam's lately? Is it still like 3 hours like it was on opening day? Or has it calmed down slightly? Will be there in just over 2 weeks.

Does anyone know what the lines are like at Trader Sam's lately? Is it still like 3 hours like it was on opening day? Or has it calmed down slightly? Will be there in just over 2 weeks.
I believe I read its calmed down!!

Sorry you felt that way. I re read your post and you did say your husband wanted a balcony or patio to smoke on. So people were just pointing out that it's not allowed.
I figure you have 2 out of 3 chances for a balcony or patio. When we stayed at Poly it was 5 yrs ago, but our requests were given. I have had incidences (rarely) when I really didn't like our room (at GF & YC) and was able to get it changed.
The standard rooms at Poly are now the same size, whether it has a balcony or not. But yes, you do gain more room by having an outside area. I enjoy sitting on balcony in the morning with my coffee. Or at night with a glass of wine!
The larger rooms in the longhouses on east side of resort are now DVC.

thanks guys, I think we're going to do it!!

and for what it's worth, the smoking as I like to call it, is a constant argument in the family. I am very aware of the smoking areas and HE abides by them. In the evening he does take advantage of it and it stresses me out. Thinking about it, we're not in the room that much anyways. I just saw no balcony and thought…WHAT???

Thanks. I've been looking forward to seeing what Trader Sam's is like and was excited to find out that it would be open for my visit.

thanks guys, I think we're going to do it!!

and for what it's worth, the smoking as I like to call it, is a constant argument in the family. I am very aware of the smoking areas and HE abides by them. In the evening he does take advantage of it and it stresses me out. Thinking about it, we're not in the room that much anyways. I just saw no balcony and thought…WHAT???

I think you'll enjoy it. The grounds are beautiful. Rooms are large & love all the dining options at Poly. Kona & O'Hanna are favs, and we enjoy Capt cooks too. And being on the monorail makes getting to ADRs at other monorail resorts easy. Love watching Wishes on the beach. I'm looking forward to Trader Sams!

We officially switched!! Thanks for all your input!! I am beyond excited! Our travel agent kinda sealed it for us when she said she was just there and it was turning into something even more special than it was before and she thought we would love it. We've been with her for 4 years, so she knows us well!

I cannot wait!!!! 93 days!!!! It just has all the feels this time!!!

Does anyone have a scan or pic of the April Recreation guide please? TIA!

So at the new volcano pool - are they actively having guests scan their bands before entry to be sure that only those staying at the Poly can use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter