Anaheim to Aloha! A Mother/Daughter Trip to California and Aulani...May 2023! Updated 9/27!!!

I love Disney and the holidays! We have been to WDW for the last few years in Nov/Dec so we are taking a break this year and heading to Aulani right after Thanksgiving. All of these holidays previews are making me miss WDW this year. Looking forward to Dec. 2024 but that’s so far away!

I love that Disney marketing drew you in. If we didn’t have a trip planned to Aulani in Nov, I’d be booking a WDW trip after all these announcements too.

I love Disney and the holidays! We have been to WDW for the last few years in Nov/Dec so we are taking a break this year

Us too...errr....or we were going to skip it, that is! I should know myself better, I just love Christmas down there!

heading to Aulani right after Thanksgiving.

That's a VERY good reason to miss Christmas in WDW!

Looking forward to Dec. 2024 but that’s so far away!

It goes fast! I already have most of our 2024 trips planned!

I love that Disney marketing drew you in. If we didn’t have a trip planned to Aulani in Nov, I’d be booking a WDW trip after all these announcements too.

I hope they pay their marketing team well because they are good at what they do!

As I said, our room was ready so after checking in at the front desk,
we headed right up to drop off our bags and freshen up.

room1.jpeg
Our room was on the 6th floor and was the very first room if you turned right off of the elevator. It was convenient but I heard the elevator all the time which only really bothered me when I was trying to sleep.

room2.jpegroom3.jpegroom4.jpegroom5.jpeg
room6.jpeg

Our room was...fine. It was big, it was clean, the view was nice, but it was also very expensive especially since we "upgraded" to a Premium View.

My hot take on the DLH is that I thought I was going to LOVE it and I really wanted to love it, but it was just okay. If I had to do it again, I would stay at the GCH because I think it's more similar to what we're used to staying at DVC resorts.

Here is the best part of our room :love:
It almost makes up for the lack of a balcony 🙃

It didn't take us long to drop our bags and have a quick look-see before we headed off to our first park.

We walked past this cute topiary on the way...
topiary.jpeg

and the Fantasmic! hat that reminds me of the hat in DHS...
allie bah.jpeg

After going through security, and a short-ish walk through Downtown Disney,
we finally arrived at the Esplanade...
esplanade.jpeg

But which park were we heading to first??

That's next!

We finally arrived at our first park...
dca.jpeg

As much as I had been dreaming about Disneyland, we only had 3.5 days in the parks and I wanted to rope drop DL twice, so we picked DCA as our first park.

Here's where I made my first mistake as a WDW vet...actually my second because at some point this morning I had already tried to make our Genie+ reservation until it dawned on my that I had to wait until we were inside the park :sad2:
So I guess here is where I made my second mistake. We got up to the gate and I very promptly tried scanning our tickets only to be told by the CM, "those are your hotel room keys." Okay, I said, and aren't they also our tickets?? :sad2:

Ack! After a minute of confusion,
I realized I had the tickets linked in the DL app and we were finally let in to the park 😮‍💨

As soon as we got in, I purchased the ILL for Radiator Springs Racers and made our first Genie for Soarin'. But before we did anything, we we absolutely starving and needed to eat lunch. After looking at the app for our choices, Allie needed some Disney tenders, so we mobile ordered and headed to Smokejumpers Grill...
sjgrill.jpegsjgallie.jpegct.jpegsalad.jpeg

This all hit the spot and we felt much better after with full bellies.

By then, it was time to head to Cars Land for our ILL...
rsr.jpeg

Only, once we arrived, we saw this huuuuuge line. Not to worry, I thought to myself, we have the ILL. Then I realized that the line we were so boldly walking past was the ILL :crazy2:
Not only was the line crazy long, the ride was not even running. We got in line despite them saying they weren't sure how long it would be down for, but we decided to stick it out and I think it started again after a 20 minute wait. We still had quite the line ahead of us, but all in all, we were on the ride in about 45 minutes so we were glad we waited.
rsr2.jpegrsr3.jpeg

This was super fun! It is literally Test Track but so much better :thumbsup2

It also makes for a fantastic ride photo :rotfl2:
rsr ride pic.jpeg

By the time we were done, we were already in our Soarin' window so we headed over...
soarin.jpeg
Aside from the queue, this was literally the same ride as EPCOT. I know they sometimes change this one back to the CA version and I was hoping that it was still like that because that version is so much better.

Our next Genie was for Guardian's Mission Breakout,
but I'm out of pic space, so that'll be next!

Last edited:

I would have made the same mistake with room keys and tickets. So much to learn! There's nothing worse that realizing that super long line IS the lightning lane. Hate when that happens. Glad you stuck it out and got on in a reasonable timeframe. I miss the original Soarin' so much. I get irrationally annoyed by the distortions in the new one if you aren't sitting in the perfect center.

Before I get to that, did you all get caught up in the Halfway to Christmas frenzy a couple days ago?? No? Just me? Haha! I'm a sucker for Disney and for Christmas, put them together and I lose my mind! So while we had no plans to go this December since we went last year, once they made the announcement about Disney Jollywood Nights, I texted Allie and asked her when her school gets out and if she wanted to go for a quick little 4-night trip! I also booked Pop because I didn't think any DVC would be available, but crazily, Boardwalk Villas were available so I booked for the exact nights we want to go so I figured it's meant to be!
Oh my gosh, I LOVE Disney at Christmas! And I am sad realizing I likely won't get to go at Christmas again until 2025 with our big DL/Aulani trip in 2024
My hot take on the DLH is that I thought I was going to LOVE it and I really wanted to love it, but it was just okay. If I had to do it again, I would stay at the GCH because I think it's more similar to what we're used to staying at DVC resorts.
That's good to know as we are debating whether to rent points for VDH or GCH and I can't make up my mind.
Here's where I made my first mistake as a WDW vet...actually my second because at some point this morning I had already tried to make our Genie+ reservation until it dawned on my that I had to wait until we were inside the park :sad2:
So I guess here is where I made my second mistake. We got up to the gate and I very promptly tried scanning our tickets only to be told by the CM, "those are your hotel room keys." Okay, I said, and aren't they also our tickets?? :sad2:

Ack! After a minute of confusion,
I realized I had the tickets linked in the DL app and we were finally let in to the park 😮‍💨
Oh! I would do the same thing and be so confused! No magicbands in DL?
This all hit the spot and we felt much better after with full bellies.
Yum! I would love that salad!
Aside from the queue, this was literally the same ride as EPCOT. I know they sometimes change this one back to the CA version and I was hoping that it was still like that because that version is so much better.
I wish it was the original! Love Soarin over California!

Last edited:

I really want to plan a Christmas trip. I’m not sure I will be able to do it this year. I was there last year on a solo and loved every minute of it!
I love reading about your DL experience. I haven’t been there since 2003? I think so a long time ago!
Radiator Springs looks like so much fun!
We stayed at Pixar Pier all those years ago, it was fun and we could walk into DCA from the hotel. I think it was a special entrance for the resort guests!

Looks like an amazing trip! We’re DVC and frequent WDW visitors too and I’ve been trying to convince DH to do a DLR/Aulani trip forever, excited to see how your trip goes!

I would have made the same mistake with room keys and tickets. So much to learn!
It's very odd to be somewhere that feels so familiar and yet is not! And it's not like I didn't research but there is only so much can remember!

I miss the original Soarin' so much. I get irrationally annoyed by the distortions in the new one if you aren't sitting in the perfect center.
Ugh, me too! I mostly ask to wait for B1 just to avoid that! I wish they would just change it back, at least in DCA where it makes so much more sense!

Following along! I love DL and DCA! I would love to visit Aulani sometime too!
:welcome:

Thanks for reading!

Oh my gosh, I LOVE Disney at Christmas! And I am sad realizing I likely won't get to go at Christmas again until 2025 with our big DL/Aulani trip in 2024
Oh, Susan, you might have to sneak in a Christmas trip before then! Not that I'm an enabler or anything :rotfl2:

That's good to know as we are debating whether to rent points for VDH or GCH and I can't make up my mind.
Looking back, I should have rented points for GCH, although I'm a weirdo and don't fully trust the rental process and I really don't like the lack of a cancellation policy. If we had rented for 2022, we would have been out of luck for that trip. At least Disney allowed us to move the reservation.

Out of the two though, I think I would choose GCH, if only for the ease of getting into the park. I'll get to it, but going through security in DLR was a real pain.

No magicbands in DL?
There are, but I don't think they do much?? I could be wrong, but I don't think you can use them for your park ticket or to charge back to the room so I didn't really see the point in getting them.

I really want to plan a Christmas trip. I’m not sure I will be able to do it this year. I was there last year on a solo and loved every minute of it!
You can do it, Caroline! Grab Andi for a quick little Girls Trip!

We stayed at Pixar Pier all those years ago, it was fun and we could walk into DCA from the hotel. I think it was a special entrance for the resort guests!
I think they can still do that, but the whole hotel is under construction now! we had to go there on the last day to get our rental car and there were so many construction walls around, I would not recommend at this point.

I love DLR and I’m desperately trying to get back so I’m just going to live vicariously thru your posts.

True story, there was a couple times going through security there I thought to myself, "well now I know how Mel feels!":rotfl2:

Love your report so far and looking forward to more! (PS, I'm also a NICU nurse!)

Thanks for reading!

NICU is the best, isn't it? I've been there 21 years and can't think of anywhere else I'd want to work!

True story, there was a couple times going through security there I thought to myself, "well now I know how Mel feels!":rotfl2:
HAHHAHA oh I love that!! I took a screenshot of it and sent it to Mel. She’s glad someone can relate to the agony of Disney security!

After Soarin' around the world, it was time for our next Genie,
Mission Breakout...

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

and other fabulous ride photo :crazy2:
3.jpeg

As many of you know, this used to be the same as Tower of Terror before they changed it into Mission Breakout. We both thought it was really fun! You definitely have a lot more ups and downs, and the music adds an element of fun! But you know I have to compare it and it is not as good as either WDW's Tower of Terror (you can't beat that theming!) or EPCOT's Guardian's ride (which isn't quite fair because that's brand new).
But we really liked it and this wouldn't be our last ride on it this trip :thumbsup2

Our next Genie was for the Incredicoaster so we kind of meandered over
towards Pixar Place, stopping for some Starbies and some pics along the way...
4.jpeg

5.jpeg

8.jpeg

We spotted the Jack Jack Num Num stand and knew we had to get one...
6.jpeg
This was so much better than the WDW cookie for some reason!
It was warm and had the perfect amount of chocolate to cookie ratio...Yum 😋

It was just the snack I needed to give me the strength to get on the Incredicoaster.
I don't mind most Disney roller coasters, but I HATE going upside down!
But Allie loves it so I had to go with her, I just kept my eyes closed the whole time...
7.jpeg
And somehow, I survived o_O

Our last Genie for the day was for Webslingers but we had a little bit of time
so we hung out in Avenger's Campus to wait.
This was not what I thought it was going to be from the You Tube videos.
We were hoping to catch some of the live action goings on and I think we saw Spiderman on a building but it was pretty underwhelming and the whole area is very...gray and kind of blah.

And the Webslingers ride...terrible. So, so bad.
Maybe we did it wrong, but we both were laughing as we came off
saying how bad it was and we never need to do it again.
9.jpeg

Of course, we aren't huge Avenger's fans, so take my review with that in mind,
but we were ready to get out of Avenger's Campus post haste.

It was almost time for us to check-in for the WOC dessert Party,
but Allie wanted actual food so she grabbed a Corn Dog along the way
and somehow fell in love with it :love:
10.jpeg

Up next, the WOC Dessert Party!

That's too bad that webslingers was a let down for you. I haven't heard much about it, other than that - in true Disney fashion - you can purchase something extra to wear on the ride and "help" you? I'm a ride chicken so Mission Breakout and Incredicoaster would be out of the question for me. Chances are you'd find me with the food, LOL. Speaking of, I still haven't tried the Jack Jack cookie, even in FL. I need to fix that!

I went to Disneyland for the first time last year, just for a quick day trip and had a blast so am really enjoying following along with your trip! I am jealous you had so much more time than me though and excited to continue following along!

I haven't heard much about it, other than that - in true Disney fashion - you can purchase something extra to wear on the ride and "help" you?

Oh, I actually forgot about that but I'm glad I didn't buy anything! I don't think anything could have saved that ride!

I still haven't tried the Jack Jack cookie, even in FL. I need to fix that!

You do! We've gotten it in WDW a few times, it's where we fell in love with it. It just hits different in CA, especially when you're about to ride the Incredicoaster!

I did Webslingers once. And you are exactly right. It is embarrassingly bad.

I'm glad we aren't the only ones who think so! Craig was going on and on and on about how amazing the ride is on last week's DIS Unplugged show. Made me think we were on a completely different ride!

I went to Disneyland for the first time last year, just for a quick day trip and had a blast so am really enjoying following along with your trip! I am jealous you had so much more time than me though and excited to continue following along!

One day would be such a tease, you need to go back!

The WOC Dessert Party with a VERY Special Guest!

Remember how I said those morning mistakes wouldn't be my last?
Well, we knew we had to line up early for the WOC dessert party,
but what I didn't know was that we line was no where NEAR the dessert party area :rolleyes1

That pic above of Allie with the corn dog was right at the entrance to the dessert party,
but after we stood there a bit and noticed nobody else was lining up,
we asked someone and they said, "oh the line is down there, take a left and then a right..." What?? well after a minute of wandering,
we finally found the line and we were almost at the end of it :sad2:

For anyone wondering, the line for the WOC starts somewhere over by Grizzly Peak...
woc1.jpeg

We finally got our wrist bands and sat to wait...
woc2.jpeg

woc3.jpeg

Just before 8pm, they formed the lines and walked us over to the WOC viewing area...
woc4.jpeg

Even with our mistake of not getting in line right away,
we got a great seat at one of the high tables, slightly off center...
woc5.jpeg

woc6.jpeg

Before long we were joined by another couple at our 4-top. Honestly, I was a little bummed about this at first because I didn't want to feel awkward, but they turned out to be super nice. They were from CA and were DVC members so we talked a lot about that and they gave us advice about CA places to visit. We chatted the whole time while we were eating our desserts and it made the time pass quickly.

As were were sitting chatting, just before our dessert plates came by though, we were greeted by a very special visitor...
Only, it wasn't Mickey, and it actually wasn't even a mouse.
From behind where Allie was sitting,
a huge RAT 🐭 came sauntering out of the bushes
and kind of walked through the walkway and then into the bushes in front of us😳

We were all so startled, I thought later that I should have taken a pic but I was just in disbelief! I've never seen anything like that in WDW...although I have seen Palmetto Bugs in the wooden seats in Frontierland. It was just shocking and kind of freaked us out for a minute. There was a table of girls just in front of us to the right and they didn't see it but I got up to tell them to pick up their bags from the ground because you never know!
We were really happy we were at a high-top with the taller chairs and our feet off the ground!

I have never heard of rats in DCA, nor have I ever read about them here,
so I'm wondering if this is a usual occurrence or did we just get super lucky?? :rotfl2:
Now I know why they have the feral cats there!

Our tablemates saw it too so it wasn't just us being crazy!

Honestly, it made me a bit squeamish!
I've worked in the city for 30 years so I've seen rats running around,
I just never expected them in Disney.

After our shock wore off, the server came around with the menus...
woc7.jpeg

and our desserts...
woc8.jpeg

woc9.jpeg

woc10.jpeg

The desserts were okay...I ate a lot of the cheese and crackers since I hadn't eaten dinner. Allie ate my strawberries. Everything else was just meh. We took a to-go box back to our room that sat in the fridge for the next few days until we threw them out on our check-out day. I did get a couple glasses of sparkling wine which was nice, but if I'm comparing dessert party to dessert party (and you know I have to!), the MK dessert parties are MUCH better. The desserts are so much better and the unlimited wine/beer almost makes it worth the cost. That being said, if we go back to CA, I would book it again,
if only for the view of the show.

That's up next!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter