And here's your first ticket price increase . . .

I figured price increases with the new building. My only issue is locking into start dates and expiration dates. These tickets are so expensive and people travel from all over the world to go...make the expiration date 24 months. Realistically, schedule changes, illness happen.

:scared: it seems like just yesterday when there were tons of articles and threads debating if anyone would pay once it cost more than $100 per DAY to visit a park....:faint: all I have to say is YIKES. $159 for ONE DAY?

I figured price increases with the new building. My only issue is locking into start dates and expiration dates. These tickets are so expensive and people travel from all over the world to go...make the expiration date 24 months. Realistically, schedule changes, illness happen.

Regarding ticket "expiration" dates.
If a never-used ticket is allowed to "expire," it only means that the ticket in question cannot be used, "as-is," past a certain date.
The guest would then need to (in effect) "upgrade" that expired ticket into a brand new ticket.
(The guest would be able to enlist the original value of the "expired" ticket, plus adding the difference price for the new ticket.)
The new ticket can then be used at WDW.
The basic reason for this is to disallow guests from buying a "stack" of (relatively) lower-priced tickets today, with the specific
plan of holding them for use at a future date, after newer tickets have risen in price and/or have revised "ticket rules."

So, if a guest's plans change, the amount paid for tickets is not "lost."
It just means that the guest would need to pay the "up charge" for more current tickets for use during the revised travel dates.
(Not unlike needing to pay the new current resort prices in effect for the revised travel dates.)

Last edited:
Just want to make sure things haven't changed - 3rd party tickets like from UT can be upgraded to an annual pass if not used up etc? Also, I read on Mousesavers that once you get the ticket linked in mydisneyexperience that you can even upgrade online or over the phone before you get to WDW (they said this was new). Anyone do this? I do want an annual pass but am trying to save a bit by bridging if still possible.

From mousesavers "
  • Most upgrades of current tickets can now be done online, using the Disney World app or over the phone. This is new; for a long time you had to upgrade in person. But now once you’ve linked your ticket to MyDisneyExperience, you should be able to change it yourself, whether you’ve purchased it directly from Disney or from a third-party retailer like Undercover Tourist. Odd situations (upgrading older tickets, upgrading to specialty annual passes, etc.) still need to be done by a Cast Member, but they may be able to do it on the phone. Try to do your upgrade in MyDisneyExperience first, and if you can’t get it to work, call Disney World ticketing directly at (407) 566-4985, during normal daytime hours in Florida. Don’t just call the main Disney number – you’re likely to get a Cast Member that only knows how to do the most basic upgrades.

I also don’t think this price jump will reduce the crowds to a reasonable level - especially with SWGE.

The reasonable level is full, every day at every park at the highest price possible to maintain those levels. Unless it becomes more profitable for Disney to raise ticket prices significantly in order to push the crowd levels downs. It would have to be significant enough to cover any loss of ticket, food/concession and merchandise sales.

That's reasonable.

I just priced out tickets for Jersey Week. $2500+ for 10 day hoppers for 4 people. 7 days is $2400. I paid $1011 for two people (10 day hopper) Jersey Week 2018 through UTC.

So $2400 and we still don't have flights, a place to sleep or food.

For $2500-3000 I can book a week long trip to Italy for 4 people including flights and hotel. I've found deals like this or better through Groupon and Living Social. I know some don't like these packages but I have several friends who have done these and loved each trip. I have friends that are going to Ireland today for $649 a person which included flights, rental car and 3 bedroom condo which they purchased through Groupon.

Last edited:

When did the official price hike take effect? I booked a room & ticket package on Mon 3/11 (at around 10:30am EST). If I book the same package now, the price is exactly the same.

Can you renew early? I know you have to be within 60 to apply it, but can you like prepurchase a renewal certificate before prices go up.

I don’t know if you can through Disney, but I did through AAA last fall. I bought my renewal voucher about two weeks before my 60 day window opened and linked it to my MDE account. When I was within the 60 days I stopped at Disney and had it activated. I was able to skirt the fall increase that way. I don’t know how far ahead AAA will allow you to purchase one, but I am tempted to try and get my renewal voucher for this fall now, just in case.

here's the link rnbwsktles, isn't the price change what this whole thread is about? Im wondering if part of the reason is that it is during easter? I know the new model allows for day by day price changes to account for holidays or peak times.
I paid around $1900 for 5 adults. 3 days before our cruise and 1 day after, there is a price hike in there for the flexible option because If I bought my tickets now I would be forced to buy that to cover the 1 day after my 4 day cruise. If I bought today it would cost me $3013.95

:scared: it seems like just yesterday when there were tons of articles and threads debating if anyone would pay once it cost more than $100 per DAY to visit a park....:faint: all I have to say is YIKES. $159 for ONE DAY?
5 day park hoppers START at $100/day. In 2016 they were $76/day. In 2012 they were $60/day. Crazy.
Whoever said these were a good investment wasn't kidding. That's a 7% annual rate of return over the last 7 years. That's pretty good.

I just priced out tickets for Jersey Week. $2500+ for 10 day hoppers for 4 people. 7 days is $2400. I paid $1011 for two people (10 day hopper) Jersey Week 2018 through UTC.

So $2400 and we still don't have flights, a place to sleep or food.

For $2500-3000 I can book a week long trip to Italy for 4 people including flights and hotel. I've found deals like this or better through Groupon and Living Social. I know some don't like these packages but I have several friends who have done these and loved each trip. I have friends that are going to Ireland today for $649 a person which included flights, rental car and 3 bedroom condo which they purchased through Groupon.

This is exactly what I was thinking about last night. It will be very expensive for a family of 4 to spend a week in a Disney park.

I am beginning to think that Disney is trying to shorten a family's vacation time at WDW due to high demand, especially with new attractions opening. That would allow them to cycle thru more people each week without sacrificing revenue. DL is a shorter experience which leaves time for other vacation experiences off property.

As a DVC owner, I have less exposure to room rates, although I paid upfront for the privilege and dues increase annually. However, airfare, park tickets and dining are all rising which adds up to an expensive experience that will compete with other vacation venues.

I question how the average person will be able to experience Disney as prices continue to rise.

Getting ready to buy tickets for our October trip thru UT. I'm thinking of just doing a 3 day base ticket for the 2 of us for around $606. I think we'll just focus 2 or 3 days on Epcot which is the park that DH enjoys anyway. Maybe if not Epcot, that 3rd day will be DAK. I'll have one solo MNSHHP night ticket which will save us a ticket there. It's just getting too expensive for us now. We have a couple of free days where we can just do Disney Springs and some of the resorts which we haven't done in a couple of trips. I just saw our order history on UT and I purchased a 6 day Magic Your Way ticket for 2 for about $646 in 2015. My My, how things have changed! :eek:

Last edited:
What's amazing is nobody complains about how guests have come to accept reduced Extra Magic Hours and have embraced the idea of paid for after hours events.

I have seen many complaints about that over the years. Just like with the ticket prices, you accept the changes and go anyway, or stop going. I don't see any other option.

We were there in Feb and went to the after hours event at MK. It was our only MK day and well worth it from 6:30-midnight in lieu of buying a ticket for that day. I am still using up the 10 day non-expiring hoppers I bought before they stopped selling them, wish I had bought more.

Regarding ticket "expiration" dates.
If a never-used ticket is allowed to "expire," it only means that the ticket in question cannot be used, "as-is," past a certain date.
The guest would then need to (in effect) "upgrade" that expired ticket into a brand new ticket.
(The guest would be able to enlist the original value of the "expired" ticket, plus adding the difference price for the new ticket.)
The new ticket can then be used at WDW.
The basic reason for this is to disallow guests from buying a "stack" of (relatively) lower-priced tickets today, with the specific
plan of holding them for use at a future date, after newer tickets have risen in price and/or have revised "ticket rules."

So, if a guest's plans change, the amount paid for tickets is not "lost."
It just means that the guest would need to pay the "up charge" for more current tickets for use during the revised travel dates.
(Not unlike needing to pay the new current resort prices in effect for the revised travel dates.)
I hope they have plans to build much larger guest relations areas and triple the staff there so people don’t have to spend all morning in line trying to fix the tickets they already spent so much on

Reactions: cm8
UGH. I bought my tickets through UT last fall, but my parents & my brother's family recently decided to join us for 2 days of our trip. I had just checked on pricing for them and saw that Disney's prices for those 2-day tickets were actually less than UT (discounts don't start until the 3-day pass), so I didn't think they needed to jump on anything quite yet. Today the 2-day tickets through Disney cost about $150 more (total) than they did last week! UT is actually cheaper by $100 now, so I guess they better go that route... and probably make their purchase soon. Doggone it... I did not see that coming.
Ouch!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter