Angels Around The World..Glendale,AZ..Nice Place To Visit/Wouldn't Want To Lose There Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok....I came back to baby talk.....(don't look at me!!!!!!!).....and glasses!

I wear glasses, but only when I cant stand my contacts anymore.
Without either....I cant see....so I will fall down!
MP....use whatever excuse works for you! ...:teeth:

Kaitlin passed karate testing and now has her camo belt. :cool1: :Pinkbounc

The girl Scout party was a lot of fun and the girls LOVED the blankets! YAY!
So I guess it was worth hours and hours of cutting! LOL!
We went caroling and they seemed to really enjoy it......It was very funny to see the look on some of the people's faces though when they came to the door. I guess no one really carols anymore???? At one house this teenage boy opened the door and the girls started singing Deck the Halls......he looked like a deer in the headlights! LOL.....I dont think he quite knew what he was supposed to do! LOL!

speaking of Carol........I love that picture with the rabbits and the hairdryer......you made me spit my water out!! LOL! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Congrats Lars! As long as your new job doesnt interfere with DISsing or riddling.....PRIORITIES you know! ;)

SB and LK.....what time are we meeting for lunch tomorrow????

Gail....buy yourself a plane ticket....you can come! :teeth:

:wave: to everyone......it's been a very long busy day.....looking for bed soon! :wave:

Tonight's Christmas Carol comes with a Loubon childhood story (for all of you who tell me I don't share any info.)

When I was about 5 or 6 years old my dad used to have a reel to reel tape recorder (Google it if you don't know what it is). Being an electrician who had done some work at a sound studio at the time he was quite proud of this 'state of the art' piece of audio equipment.

Anyway, I remember a tape he had made that had all different types of music on it. Most were funny songs by the likes of Julius LaRosa and Lou Monte (go Google them too). But one song I always remembered was Jingle Bells by Les Paul and Mary Ford. Didn't know who they were, I just knew I liked their unique sounding song.

Many years later, after working in the music industry and seeing the name Les Paul on many Gibson guitars, I came to learn that Les Paul was the father of the electric guitar. He pitched it in the 1940's and finally in 1952 the Gibson Guitar company released the first solid body electric guitar. He went on to make mostly country and instrumental songs with his wife Mary Ford but the Les Paul Guitar till this day remains one of the most popular guitars in all of music history used by many famous guitarists.

Many years after the reel to reel player died I was unable to ever find that recording even with my many record company connections. Thanks to the Internet I found it a few years back. It always brings me back to a time when things were very different. So much has changed. Ironically, just the other night, one of my two older sisters told me she found the last song on that tape. Apparently, all these years she too had tried to recreate it although being a few years older she remembered all of the songs on it.

For me I just will always remember Jingle Bells by Les Paul & Mary Ford

And after working at RCA and keeping with the more common Lou you know, I also present a special DIS Kids version of Jingle Bells NOT by Les Paul & Mary Ford ;)

Doing the new couch happy dance :cool1: It looks better than I imagined in the store. Now of course I need a new rug, curtains pillows...

Lou you made me laugh and cry.....great story! I am also glad the Scooby thing hit home......My mom sorta did that only she would start humming santa clause is coming to town so we knew he was watching!!

Well sadly enough my two times I actually surprised Kelly with an "announcement" they didn't work out. With G Kelly was with me in the Dr's office....so no surprise.

I love hearing about our different Christmas traditions...so please indulge me a few more questions...

Open presents Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?

We open Christmas Eve

Does/did Santa wrap his gifts?

He does not nor has he ever (in my house)

What do/did you put out for Santa?

We put out pie (mainly because my dad didn't like cookies)

What are your traditional meals?

Christmas Eve my mom makes everyone fave thing
So I'm having lobster bisque while G is having fettuccini Alfaro

Christmas Day Kelly makes his famous Dr Pepper ham it's to die for!

Ok that is all for now lol (yes I know I'm nosey)

Now that I returned from Jingle Bell lane I can at least add to one of your questions. I don't remember anything special about the pregnancy announcements between us. We just kept practicing until we got it right....;)

But when Gerri was pregnant with Liz we decided to tell her family when we got together at Christmas Eve. So there we are sitting around and we tell everyone we have an announcement to make. We do, and Gerri's younger brother and his wife just stared at us. When we asked them what was wrong they said.....us too! Neither had any idea and they were just shocked we beat them to the punch. I did feel bad since it was their first but we all had a good laugh.

So now here's the funny part (you knew that was coming)....8 months later we visit them in the hospital as my niece is born. The next day my daughter is born. These dates followed my niece's birthday (who was in the WDW pictures and was probably about 13 at the time). Then my nephew gets married and has a stepdaughter born the day before her! So the cousins are 8/5, 8/6, 8/7, & 8/8 with 3 of them in the same year! :faint:

Let's see on your other questions I'd answer Xmas day (except for one or two small things on Xmas eve), don't know what you mean on the next one, cookies and a can of coke, Xmas when I was growing up was some really smelly fish, baccala, only my father would eat (think Sopranos) and New Year's eve was always sausage & peppers (some Italian tradition). Now it is just usually Filet Mignon on Xmas when we have it here because Gerri really enjoys making it. I tried to start the Goose tradition but not enough people liked it.

firstmickey said:
Gail....buy yourself a plane ticket....you can come! :teeth:
Dear Santa,
All I want for Christmas is a plane ticket to Orlando!

Christmas traditions! Christmas Eve dinner at my mom's house but I do most of the cooking. She does the dishes so how great is that? We've made the same dish, lobster pilaf, since I was a teenager and it was just the 2 of us. The recipe is from a cookbook from Bermuda she received as a gift. Over the years we've added a few dishes; broiled scallops, broccoli & cheese....and for a while, mac & cheese for the kiddies. Even now it's a small group, just my family and my mom, and we open our gifts for each other that evening.

Lou - I've had the 7-fishes meal too. I vividly remember my aunt preparing the eel. :scared:

Once we're home and the kids are in bed, we put out their gifts and then we open ours. Sometimes it's still Christmas Eve and sometimes (especially when they were younger and there was much more assembly required for gifts) it would already be Christmas morning.

This year we're having Christmas dinner at our house for my mom and Lew's parents- the first time they've been here for Christmas in 10 years. We're making lasagna, which his mom is convinced we don't know how to make, so that should be fun.

Santa has never, ever, ever wrapped gifts here and I don't remember him wrapping gifts for me when I was young.

Oooohhh....I cant go to bed till I answer!
I like these kinds of questions!

We open Christmas Day except the kids open one present from my parents Christmas eve.

Santa wraps most gifts except maybe some of the big ones that need to be put together. We thankfully...have none of those this year!

We put out cookies and milk and a carrot for the reindeer. Along with a note that Kaitlin writes. He always leaves them a note back too.

Our traditional meals are:
Christmas Eve here with my parents: we always have prime rib, twice baked potatos, salad and shrimp. Dessert varies but it is usually cookies.

Christmas Day also here with all of Dan's family (27 people for a sit down dinner): we have Ham and my MIL brings about 7 vegetables plus potatoes (this is NOT an exaggeration....we call it Dance of the Seven Vegetables)...lol....plus my SIL makes pies for dessert. Dinner wouldnt be so bad....but she insists on making care packages for everyone and it takes HOURS to pack up all of the food and clean up. :rolleyes:

My favorite is Christmas Eve......we used to have my grandparents too...so now we spend time remembering them and telling funny stories about things my grandmother used to say....since Its late and Im feeling sentimental....

my favorite story about her:
she was an artist and took art classes in high school....She went to an all girls Catholic School and they asked her to draw a poster for a musical they were putting on....so she drew this picture of girls with their legs kicking out.
the nuns suspended her for drawing an indecent picture...lol ....(keep in mind this was 1930's)....so she had to go and meet with the priest and explain why she drew this picture....
She went and met with him with her back all up ready to defend her art and she showed him the picture......he took one look at it.....and told her : get back to school...those nuns dont know what art looks like! lol.
She always would say very seriously to us: I would NEVER draw an indecent picture....I just wanted the girls to dance! lol........(like she had to defend herself to us!) :D

ok....now I'm really going to bed.....night! :wave:

Christmas Eve we all go to my aunt's house. Lots of chaos, lots of wrapping paper, lots of fun. For years we used to order Chinese food for dinner and set it up buffet style. Paper plates, plastic silverware. No dishes to be done and not a lot of cleaning. We havent ordered Chinese in a while, but we still do a simple buffet. Lots of appetizer type food and maybe some good Italian beef sandwhiches (for Brian and Leann....buns form Liborio's and the beef from Johnny's on North Ave) We open all the family gifts that night.
Before we had Sam, Lou and I would open our gifts to each other that night too. Now that Sam is here we do the whole Chistmas morning thing.

Santa wrapped all Sam's gifts this afternoon ;)

We usually leave cookies and diet Coke for Santa. None of us drink milk so we rarely have it in the house. We leave something for the reindeer too (either carrots or celery)

Christmas morning we open gifts, make breakfast and watch the WDW parade. Breakfast might be a casserole, pancakes or fresh muffins. This year we dont know what we are going do for the afternoon. Maybe a movie or the zoo, or maybe just lounge around all day in our pj's. I havea turkey breast in the freezer, so we may make that for dinner.

BethanyF said:
Santa wrapped all Sam's gifts this afternoon ;)

this is what got me wondering about what everyone else does....I was like wrap santa stuff omg I never thought of that.....just always woke up and there is was sitting out all displayed. I think it's a great idea, makes the moment last longer. I think it's a little late to start now lol

BethanyF said:
This year we dont know what we are going do for the afternoon. Maybe a movie or the zoo, or maybe just lounge around all day in our pj's. I havea turkey breast in the freezer, so we may make that for dinner.

We don't do much Christmas Day either , we go to church on Christmas Eve between dinner and presents so unless Christmas falls on a Sunday we don't go. We do open presents with the IL's on Christmas Day every other year(they go to DH's brothers) We went to the movies last year and it was a lot of fun. I've sorta been thinking we might have to try that again.......after the parade of course!

I love the different food traditions in the different parts of the country , thanks for sharing them!

Good morning to all.

To answer Stars questions:

Christmas day, although there is always some gift Pete wants me to open on Christmas Eve, and when Ian was with us we would sometimes do one that night. In my family and Pete's, it was always Christmas Day.

Yes and no, depending on what it was, one year it was a huge frog shaped toy box, that did not get wrapped, but mjust about everything else did. Same when I was growing up.

A couple of times cookies, but usually nothing.

None. The last few years we lived in VA I would have an open house party on Christmas Eve with lots of finger food, and then on CHristmas Day we usually ended up at the Greeks and ate traditional Greek food. (Think My Big Fat Greek Wedding). When we moved to GA, we stopped doing all that and still do nothing. Sometimes I make a nice dinner, but I don't do anything special because it's just 2 of us. WHen you have no family around, it is different. This year I have promised myself to set the table with all the holiday dishes, I might do that today.

Have a good Thursday, it means the weekend is here tomorrow!

LArs, I too love pretty gifts under the treee, lots of diferent paper, ribbons, and bows (always stick on, don't tell Martha).

Morning!

I'm enjoying everyone's holiday traditions - thanks for asking Star! :D

Headed to work today, and it's my first Thursday working since before Thanksgiving. It's also my longest day. :(
I love to have friends e-mail me at work!!!! :hyper: ::yes::

WhenUwishUponAstar said:
this is what got me wondering about what everyone else does....I was like wrap santa stuff omg I never thought of that.....just always woke up and there is was sitting out all displayed. I think it's a great idea, makes the moment last longer. I think it's a little late to start now lol
This is funny because that was why I said I didn't understand that question....it never occurred to me not to wrap the stuff! Of course it does require a little handwriting change on the labels.......;)

And too late to start you say??? Let me tell when my oldest sister was about 2 (she says she still remembers this but I think she does from pictures) my father would wait until she was asleep on Christmas eve, go out and buy a tree (that had to be at least 8' tall), and decorate the whole thing that night so that when she woke up on Christmas morning she saw a fully decorated tree with all the wrapped gifts that Santa left! I have no idea if they ever did that again but in the picture she is smiling and clapping! And no, Walt Disney was not my father....:p

paras4ri said:
I love to have friends e-mail me at work!!!! :hyper: ::yes::
I'm willing but it'd be easier if I had your work email address :D

Christmas Eve they open gifts from DH's family & one gift from us (always pjs so they look cute in the Christmas morning pics)

Wraps all of them

same as Donna

Ham & kielbasa/sauerkraut on Christmas Eve. FIL sometimes makes a traditional Polish soup (gross btw) & the Polish tradition is to not eat until you see the first star.......they musta been awfully hungry on overcast Christmas Eve's.
Christmas Day depends on who is cooking.....this year I am & so far I am undecided about the menu.
New Year's Eve we always have shrimp cocktail because that's what I always had growing up.........& it was a BIG treat cause it was the only time of the year we ever had it when I was a kid......now I'm grown & have it at almost every party I'm invited to (including euchre) but it never tastes as good as it did/does on New Year's Eve.

Today I go in to the store at 11ish for training on the register & then the store opens it's doors tomorrow.....I'm not sure if I'm scheduled for tomorrow or not....guess I'll find out today. :D

Loubon said:
This is funny because that was why I said I didn't understand that question....it never occurred to me not to wrap the stuff! Of course it does require a little handwriting change on the labels.......;)
No labels here.....in the note left with the cookie crumbs (Santa's messy) he tells each child what color paper their gifts are wrapped in......Megan=red.......Matthew=green.....Dylan=blue

Lars624 said:
Today I go in to the store at 11ish for training on the register & then the store opens it's doors tomorrow.....I'm not sure if I'm scheduled for tomorrow or not....guess I'll find out today. :D
Have a great day Laura!

OK, every once in a while I try to be helpful to folks who post questions. This morning I replied to a question on the Swan/Dolphin thread and look what Lou said in response!

I'm an expert!

Love ya Lou!!! puckerup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter