Angels Around The World..Glendale,AZ..Nice Place To Visit/Wouldn't Want To Lose There Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
afternoon all,
home from my meeting, nice to have an early day!

Congrats on the job Lars

Lorraine, thanks for the card it's very cute

Donna - congrats to Kaitlin

Christmas traditions??

Christmas Eve - Tree only goes up on christmas eve. For the last 6 years or so......go to 8pm mass with my sister and her family then help then wrap "santas" presents. Parents pick me back up on their way home from midnight mass. Parents, wee sis, me and gran start in on the booze! As my mum usually works we open presnts after midnight mass.

Christmas day - for the last 8 years my mums always worked so we get up slowly and then help dad make dinner, eat around 5pm....then eating and drinking all day....usually ends about 5am Boxing day.

Jesus goes in his crib on christmas morning (always a big argument about who got to put him in!). The 3 kings start at one end of the windowsill and gradually make their way to the stable for the 6th January.

Santa always wraps presents....we still get some that say "love mum and dad" and some that say "from santa"

Finally started christmas shopping.....stuarts brother (who has 2 kids of his own) has a new partner who has 3 kids, a son in law and a grandson...all of whom will be there on christmas day! Managed to get all theres today.

cami
x

Marsha - why don't you donate part of the money to your favorite charity? Just a thought.

And I am busy working too! :cool:

firstmickey said:
speaking of Carol........I love that picture with the rabbits and the hairdryer......you made me spit my water out!! LOL! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Okay, Donna has admitted to her drinking problem...

helenabear said:
either way I am mad :mad:

She's an angry elf

My mother is scheduled for the light down your throat thingy procedure this morning (am I being too technical for y'all?) to look for clots also.

They are going to start medication and may have to shock her heart back into rhythm in a few weeks.

Now for the Christmas traditions:

I grew up with wrapped Santa gifts and Mrs. AA, along with her mother and grandmother think that is just wrong! :rolleyes: So Santa leaves the "good stuff" unwrapped under the tree and some of his gifts are still wrapped in a different paper.

We have a Santa plate and glass to leave his snack on each year. He gets Chocolate Chip Cookies and a slice of our birthday cake that we do to celebrate Jesus' birthday. Santa always leaves a few crumbs, of course.
The reindeer get shafted which probably explains the poop on the roof.

Our nativities are complete when we set them up, but we have a wooden advent calendar that we add to each day so Jesus appears on Christmas Eve there. (Instead of lurking behind the creche to scare the shepards like He does at Elaine's)

I never opened gifts on Christmas Eve though I know lots of people who open one.

We have cinnamon rolls (Pillsbury) on Christmas morning and lunch is usually turkey or chicken with dressing and traditional Thanksgiving/Christmas stuff.

Okay, I admit...I've been lurking and haven't taken the time to respond to this..but I'm making the time right now, and then I NEED to get back to my projects.

Our Christmas traditions.....

When I was growing up we always went to my Nana's for a traditional slavic Christmas dinner, we had stuffed cabbage, fresh kielbasa, scalloped potatoes, and then either roast beef or roast pork. I have very fond memories of 15 christmas stockings lining her mantle and EVERYTHING in the stockings was wrapped in tissue paper. It's always at Christmas that I miss my Nana the most.
Now for Christmas eve we spend it with our neighbors (the kids' godparents) and we exchange our gifts plus we started a tradition of "secret santa". Every year around Thanksgiving we draw names for the secret santa and your responsibility is to do something nice for the person whose name you drew....it doesn't have to be a gift that you bought, but something that you put thought into. Last year, Andrew's gift to Kerry was that the first time they go sledding, AJ would pull the sleds up the hill for the whole time......AJ, of all my kids, GETS the secret santa concept.

After we have Christmas with the neighbors, we come home and the kids are allowed to open one gift here...which of course is new pajamas. We then read the Polar Express and leave cookies and milk for santa, and either carrots or magic reindeer feed for the reindeer.....depends on how much time we have.... :rolleyes:

Santa always bring the "big" gift and fills stockings. Usually the big gift is wrapped in special santa paper. Growing up Santa didn't wrap our big gift, nor were presents allowed under the tree before he came....

Our traditional Christmas dinner is prime rib with mashed potatoes, gravy, some green vegetable that my kids won't eat....;), etc.

OH and for the creche scene......shortly after Neil and I got married, my CDA (crazy dear aunt) started a collection of Fontanini figures. The first year she gave us Mary, Joseph, and the three wise men.....uh.....no baby jesus.....well, we set it up, minus the baby...Patrick was just 2 then, and we tried to explain the scene to him.....not having anything appropriate to use for a baby jesus, my husband substituted a cheese puff in the spot where baby Jesus would go.:eek: We fondly refer to that scene as the Baby Cheesus......

helenabear said:
However, I'm going to be offended only because I think you are implying I am the only one short enough to play that roll of a baby... or I am also the "baby" that regularly checks in so that fits me as well. either way I am mad :mad:
No, I was pretty much just working the swadling clothes angle.......

And if you read that last word as angel then put a comma after clothes and that works too.

Boo'sMom said:
Okay, I admit...I've been lurking
We heard your heavy breathing.

Sssssh! Everyone be quiet! The Twins are napping, er I mean working....wait that's the same thing....

:wave: everyone

I have lots to catch up on ..... will do that when I get back home tomorrow

Hope you're having a good week !!

You guys have been chatty. I'm just going to respond to things as I catch up. Here are the questions Star posted last night, but first I have to mention that Santa comes to our house. I know my kids are not little, but Santa will always come to our house because I believe. :love: Besides, it's part of my fun.

Open presents Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?
We usually go to see Allen's parents on Chrismas Eve. So we do a gift exchange with them. We drive home that night to go to the late service. When we get home it is Christmas morning and Santa has been there. The kids have never figured out how the gifts get there when they weren't there when we left. :wizard: It's magic. We open gifts from Santa and each other before we go to bed. Christmas morning we get to sleep in a little, then we go to work at the Christmas Community Dinner. We rest in the afternoon so we're up for spending the day with my mom and my brother and his family the next day. We always do our family gift exchange that day because it's my brother's birthday, so we can kill two birds with one stone.

Does/did Santa wrap his gifts?
Always! He only skips things that are too big to wrap. Actually, I don't wrap much for the kids from us. I use gift bags because it's easy and less waste. So the wrapped gifts kind of stand out from the rest. And Santa always uses different paper from mom and dad, too.

What do/did you put out for Santa?
Usually cookies and milk or Coke. We used to leave reindeer hay or carrots, but not so much anymore.

What are your traditional meals?
Christmas Eve is whatever my MIL decides to fix. Usually ham or a casserole. If we are home I fix anything but oyster stew. Mom always fixed it that night and I hate it, so I NEVER fix that for Christmas Eve! Christmas morning we used to always have muffins with birthday candles, but now that the kids are older we usually have a breakfast casserole or cinnamon rolls. Lunch is turkey with all the trimmings while we work at the Christmas Community Dinner (a free meal to anyone in town who wants to come). My mom usually fixes turkey on the 26th, but I'm trying to get her to quit. The big meals are getting to be a bit much for her. I've offered to cook for the crew or suggested going out for pizza or something. We'll see. I've decided the meal isn't the most important thing. I want her to have fun. BTW, I usually fix a turkey sometime the week after Christmas Day for us here at home.

Loubon said:
No, I was pretty much just working the swadling clothes angle.......

And if you read that last word as angel then put a comma after clothes and that works too.
One minute he makes me angry and the next, laughing out loud :teeth:
You are pricelss Lou ::yes::

Missy, Santa does exist and he still comes here as well! Actually the Easter Bunny did too... until the other siblings were dieting... nothing this year for my first time ever *sigh*

MerryPoppins said:
Open presents Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?
We usually go to see Allen's parents on Chrismas Eve. So we do a gift exchange with them. We drive home that night to go to the late service. When we get home it is Christmas morning and Santa has been there. The kids have never figured out how the gifts get there when they weren't there when we left. :wizard: It's magic.
I'm not sure I figured out how you got them there! :confused:

MerryPoppins said:
we kill two birds with one stone.
Now that's a tradition I would have expected from Alan.

MerryPoppins said:
What do/did you put out for Santa?
Coke.
That explains his red nose...(oops, sorry! I forgot we have law enforcement spouses here.)

MerryPoppins said:
Christmas morning we used to always have muffins with birthday candles.
Another odd tradition. Doesn't that taste waxy? Most people use blueberries or even cranberries.

Great, I just made the mistake of telling Mrs. AA about our Christmas conversations.

She said to let y'all know that we do not open a gift on Christmas Even because her Scrooge of a husband doesn't let us.

She says she is going to talk him out of that this year...

alabamaalan said:
She said to let y'all know that we do not open a gift on Christmas Even.......
I would have thought with you around it would have been Christmas Odd.....

mickeyfan1 said:
I forgot AGAIN to get MP yesterday, I need to see if she is still available at 1st day release price.

I'll have you know that I am priceless! :blush:

Whoops, what a typo

snagglepuss.jpg

I think I'll exit..stage left, even

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter