Annoyed at VGF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dean I just had time to read your reply back to me and you said I was an " outlier" but after reading the other responses seems to me you are the one who is standing alone on this. I was very concerned that a fellow DVC member was getting a raw deal. I and others have put thousands of dollars in this timeshare as you like to call it. I for one know that when people come together there is change. I have to be honest I do not know if you work for Disney or The DVC Club, but if you do not you should be just as upset that a fellow DVC member got a raw deal. Again I say it's not right and this needs to be addressed. I would like to thank mmtravel for bringing this up.

Sorry Dean my post went up before I finish, but wanted to wish you the best, because we will never see eye to eye on here and that is not solving the issue. But to the rest I suggest writing, calling Disney and DVC about what's going on at the resorts because as one member posted they might not even know this is going on. I for one will call and write and suggest like others suggested on here about changing the way they do their bookings.Thanks

Well we just had our first stay at VGF (6d/5n). First let me preface by saying we have been members for a few years now. We own at VGC, BLT and VGF. We have stayed at OKW, BWV, SSR, HHI, AKV, BLT, VWL and BCV.
On to our first experience there......
We arrived around 1:30pm and room was ready within minutes of our arrival. Room 1211 (second floor studio) facing the Grand Floridian main building with a view of the monorail (to the left) and the beach on the far right. The room was a typical studio and to be honest not overly impressed with the "look". For a little basis, I really like the look/feel of OKW and BLT. First thing I noticed was the two drawers under the tv (just above the fold away bed). Both had knobs that were loose to the point of coming off. I twisted one of them back tight, but the other was locked and had to just stay that way.
We then found the under the bed drawers. Kinda neat, but then came the realization that there was no more storage. One drawer did not have enough room to open all the way because the nightstand was in the way (with the couch butted up next to it). Well this trip was with my DW, DD and her friend (both 13yoa). Needless to say, it was not easy finding room for all the clothes (yes, even using the closet). As for the space in the room, it probably would have been fine with three of us, but four did not work too well (once the fold out couch was used). Oh and before I forget, there was a baby crib set up in the room. Of course I looked at my wife and asked if there was something she needed to tell me :).
As we were putting things away I looked at the round "dining" room table. There were multiple deep scratches on it and someone had actually taken a sharpie and drew their initials on it. Reminded me of something found at a Motel 6. The DW still had the rose colored glasses on and it didn't bother her, but to me the attention to detail was lacking. Then the one feature I really liked in the sales pitch was the tv in the mirror. Well, I couldn't get the remote to work consistently. Took multiple attempts to turn it on, sometimes with good results, but mostly ending with frustration and me walking away. The few times I got it to work (2 days out of 5) it was nice tho.
Now on to the porch....nice view (I was pleasantly surprised). As I was standing by the railing, I looked down and there were concrete droppings hardened, just on the edge of the floor. I tried to scrape it off, but like I said it was concrete. Seriously, they couldn't have cleaned that prior to opening.
The last major issue was bugs. Strangley, there were some small flies in the room and a larger flying ant/bee looking thing in the shower. Tried to smash that one, but he was too tough and I eventually got him down the drain with a lot of hot water.
On to the the positive notes. The DW had the 2 hour massage at the spa and absolutely loved it. Money well spent to keep her happy. Next, we could see the fireworks from our porch, very nice. The staff was top notch, just what I would have expected.
Sadly it occurred to me as we were staying there that in essence, it was just a room. Nothing more/nothing less. I realized that I much would have rather stayed at OKW or BLT. At least those give you the impression you are away from home (not saying my home is anything like VGF).
Mind you I'm not upset about buying at VGF. The DW is very happy with the purchase. Maybe I just expected a little more since this is the "cream of the crop" when it comes to DVC.
(Thanks for letting me vent).

Sorry Dean my post went up before I finish, but wanted to wish you the best, because we will never see eye to eye on here and that is not solving the issue. But to the rest I suggest writing, calling Disney and DVC about what's going on at the resorts because as one member posted they might not even know this is going on. I for one will call and write and suggest like others suggested on here about changing the way they do their bookings.Thanks

For the first few years I would write and call MS, Member Satisfaction, DVC Executives, and Disney Executives depending on the plus or minus and who had responsibility. I would for the most part get the, "thank you for taking the time to contact us, this is the first that we have heard of this issue".

After several years of the same rhetoric, it was obvious that Disney is aware of all issues, they just don't see a need to change or to them it's a non-issue.

They make their money and bonuses selling timeshares, member satisfaction isn't even an index or pay for performance item.

I was told recently that until last year, DVC didn't even keep a record of member contacts.

:earsboy: Bill

As we were putting things away I looked at the round "dining" room table. There were multiple deep scratches on it and someone had actually taken a sharpie and drew their initials on it. Reminded me of something found at a Motel 6. The DW still had the rose colored glasses on and it didn't bother her, but to me the attention to detail was lacking.

I think housekeeping should inspect the rooms after checkout and charge damage back to the person who had the room. Maybe they have noted the scratches but haven't had the repairs done yet, I wouldn't expect them to have it fixed immediately before the next check-in.

I think housekeeping should inspect the rooms after checkout and charge damage back to the person who had the room. Maybe they have noted the scratches but haven't had the repairs done yet, I wouldn't expect them to have it fixed immediately before the next check-in.

It may not get repaired for years.

A couple of years ago we were staying at OKW. The flatware drawer in the kitchen was missing and the flatware was laying on the kitchen counter.
The dishwasher was also broken, when maintenance came by to check on the dishwasher I asked about the drawer. The CM said that he thought that he saw it in one of their shops a few months ago but hadn't seen it since. :sad2:

For us these things matter, for CM's it's just another day a work.

I understand how issues arise over the years....the key point is "over the years". VGF have been open for what 5 months? I would expect a little more "newness". Like I've said, I've stayed at a few different resorts and to be honest the only thing that has stuck out over the years is a fridge that leaked (repaired within the hour) and a porch door that wouldn't lock (fixed the next day). I wasn't too concerned about the door as we were a few stories up and I figured if someone climbed that a simple lock wouldn't have stopped them anyway.
We will stay there again (soon I'm sure knowing my DW) and I'll see how things are on that trip.

On a side note, we are staying at the Tree Houses this summer so I am interested in seeing how they compare (I've heard good things about the Tree Houses).

I understand how issues arise over the years....the key point is "over the years". VGF have been open for what 5 months? I would expect a little more "newness". Like I've said, I've stayed at a few different resorts and to be honest the only thing that has stuck out over the years is a fridge that leaked (repaired within the hour) and a porch door that wouldn't lock (fixed the next day). I wasn't too concerned about the door as we were a few stories up and I figured if someone climbed that a simple lock wouldn't have stopped them anyway.
We will stay there again (soon I'm sure knowing my DW) and I'll see how things are on that trip.

On a side note, we are staying at the Tree Houses this summer so I am interested in seeing how they compare (I've heard good things about the Tree Houses).

BLT has by far had the worst history of damage and excessive wear. We stayed there within a few months of opening and our room had a damaged light fixture above the dining table, a patio door that would not lock, marks on the walls and a champagne cork size hole in the ceiling above the kitchen island.

It has been reported that the furnishings and materials chosen for BLT was on the cheap to reduce construction costs.

BLT has by far had the worst history of damage and excessive wear. We stayed there within a few months of opening and our room had a damaged light fixture above the dining table, a patio door that would not lock, marks on the walls and a champagne cork size hole in the ceiling above the kitchen island.

It has been reported that the furnishings and materials chosen for BLT was on the cheap to reduce construction costs.

Sorry to hear that. We've had pretty good luck there. No issues (knock on wood).

I bought GFV the day it went on sale and booked a room the first day you could for a 2br lock off. Checked in at 2pm and got a HA room. Was not happy! So needless to say my first request for any resort will be a non HA room. The HA rooms at GFV aren't great for someone that doesn't need it. Everything is so low. I could take a leak in the kitchen sink it's so low. I kept hitting my head on oven range. Never again! Will throw a fit if I get one again.

Dean I just had time to read your reply back to me and you said I was an " outlier" but after reading the other responses seems to me you are the one who is standing alone on this. I was very concerned that a fellow DVC member was getting a raw deal. I and others have put thousands of dollars in this timeshare as you like to call it. I for one know that when people come together there is change. I have to be honest I do not know if you work for Disney or The DVC Club, but if you do not you should be just as upset that a fellow DVC member got a raw deal. Again I say it's not right and this needs to be addressed. I would like to thank mmtravel for bringing this up.
I don't think anyone disagrees it'd be a good idea for them to handle this up front (before it gets to the FD) so lets look at this from that direction. Given that we know DVC has gone to minimal consideration on requests including no priority and that there will be times when someone has to get those villas who don't want/need them, how should they proceed? Personally I think they should preassign them to the ones that reserve when those are all that's left. That way you know when you get the reservation that's what you're getting. I'm sure there are procedural and technical issues I'm unaware of but since they hold them until the last now anyway, it should be easy to match them up and let those affected know. I'd think even the most obsessed would be OK with this system knowing up front they had a HC unit or choosing to skip the trip if it was that important. That would mean those who reserve later, esp non home resorts, would be more likely to get a HC unit and those who reserve earlier and own there less, also as it should be IMO.

I would like to see HA rooms offered as a category.
I think it is VERY important that a guest know if they have been assigned one of these rooms.

All five times I got a HA room I had booked at my home resort OKW and I booked those reservations exactly 11 months in advance.
I always do online check-in although this time the system was a bit "glitchy"
I usually arrive at the resort no later than 10 am check-in and if the room is ready great ,if not I ask bell services to hold my bags and off I go to DTD .
I am aware that check-in is not until 4pm.

Just to clarify
Believe me I feel I've had my fair share of taking my turn and I did not
in any way throw a "hissy fit' BUT I did speak up and request a change. I was polite and courteous.
I am glad I asked why I kept getting placed in a HA room.

I do understand as a DVC member that I can and may get placed in a HA room.
Perhaps it is time to see if a compromise is possible?

Thanks for letting rant on
Hugs Mel

After reading all this, I agree, a category or knowing that the last remaining studio at BLT or VGF or wherever when you book is all that is available would go a long way to solving this. I would book another location before taking a HA room. In the end however, we are all owners of a timeshare, we don't own stock in a hotel, we own a timeshare. Which means that once the property is sold out, then the rooms are to be used to capacity each night excluding maintenance and other exceptions. So someone is going to get the dumpster view, the roof view, the loud neighbors next door, the HA room as it stands now and whatever else someone doesn't want. When you end up with the dumpster view, just know that someone else before you probably pitched a fit and took your "perfect" room because they have spent a bunch of money on this thing called DVC, apparently your money is not as valuable as theirs so tough luck! Its endemic of our society, so I've come top expect at Disney too.

I think what has worked the best in these matters is when DVC has adjusted points around these issue, for example, BWV parking lot view, less points. Try booking one of those so called undesirable rooms without views, nearly impossible. If I were coming in for F&WF and all that was left for the weekend was a HA BCV I would probably take it, however, I have 6 night trip at VGF coming up in May and wouldn't be pleased if we were assigned a HA room, however, as Dean has stated, I'm completely aware that that is a possibility, but just like the OP, I wouldn't be happy. However, that is the system we have, demanded by the laws we demand, all things have consequences.

Dear DIS Board crew, I am DH of MMtravel and wanted to share my 2 cents in on her OP.

One of the things my DW did not mention was that having an HA room at VGF was an inconvenience for me because of my height - I'm 6'4". I have happily accepted HA rooms on business travel and even on a cruise line once. The main difference in those situations was that the HA room was disclosed to me before I got to the room. It's usually introduced by the front desk staff like this: "Mr. MMtravel, we only have a few rooms left tonight. Would you be alright with taking an HA room? It has a huge walk in shower". I have always taken the room. Not having this info disclosed by the cast members last Friday made it an unpleasant surprise. If they had taken the time or consideration to mention it beforehand we might have been okay with it, whether other options were available or not.

The first morning after check-in we decided to tour the DVC model unit on premises to see what the differences were between an HA room and the standard studio they "advertise". When I asked the DVC sales person for a tour he said he had never seen an HA room at VGF.

The HA foyer closet is moved past the kitchen to the middle of the room and a little less wide than the standard room. The hanger rod is lowered to wheelchair access height as is the shelf holding extra bedding (note: no room to hang long garments). Empty space above this shelf goes unused. One of the two chairs at the small round table in the far corner of the room is removed in the HA room. These two changes allows extra space for the kitchen area where there are 4 cabinet doors across instead of the 2 doors in the standard studio.

The HA bathroom is one large room including the toilet, shower & sink, while the standard room has a close-off pocket door for the toilet and bathtub side of the room. This means no privacy to share the bathroom in the HA unless you are a REALLY close family.

Underbed storage in the model studio unit clearly showed that the drawer closest to the wall was inaccessible due to the proximity of the nightstand. As DW mentioned in the OP and others, there is no underbed drawer storage in the HA unit.

Other Information About Our Experience:

The manager was very helpful to DW and me on the phone and in person when we explained our concerns to him. He did not just give us "the smile" - he made a concerted effort to make our stay more enjoyable.

The drop down bed under the television was a regular sized twin that was "the most comfortable pull out at DVC" as declared by our DS who is 5' and about 100 lbs.

The WiFi was perfect throughout VGF and everywhere I went in the resort.

The elevators are lightning fast - ka-chow. The elevator arrives within 5 seconds of pressing the call button nearly every time.

Lower fixtures and storage (what little there was) are a challenge for me as a person of excessive height. The kitchen sink is smaller and set far underneath the overhead cabinets. DW was creative and pulled up the chair to wash the coffee pot & glassware.

The bathroom grab bars are well placed and very sturdy. The shower clothesline is lowered. The toilet paper roll is not well placed on the wall - knee height but too close to the fixture for a tall person. I couldn't sit facing forward on the fixture without my knee hitting the roll.

There are several narrow shelves on the wall next to the bathroom sink which go all the way to the floor but with no storage above sink level - inconvenient to have shelves on the floor for able or differently-abled people.

The half-sized refrigerator was a few millimeters too wide for the space it was in. The door rubbed against the cabinet and had to be forced closed every time. Also it is only a refrigerator - there is no separate freezer section to make ice or store frozen goods.

The hot water ran out on our last morning and Engineering had to be called to fix it. Nothing like a cold shower to put an exclamation point on the experience.

VGF is a lovely place, but I described it to my DW as a “lick-and-stick” DVC property. Disney has incorporated the building into the surroundings beautifully, but it doesn't have the welcoming feeling you get at other properties. VGF has no front desk. There are three office-sized desks that serve that purpose, one labeled concierge and two unlabeled. After 10PM there were no cast members at the front desk, and no bellman at the front door. Having the lobby unattended at night felt a little disconcerting.The room was fine, and the service was fine, but Disney makes its name with magical experiences, and I did not feel the DVC magic on this visit.

Dear DIS Board crew, I am DH of MMtravel and wanted to share my 2 cents in on her OP.

One of the things my DW did not mention was that having an HA room at VGF was an inconvenience for me because of my height - I'm 6'4". I have happily accepted HA rooms on business travel and even on a cruise line once. The main difference in those situations was that the HA room was disclosed to me before I got to the room. It's usually introduced by the front desk staff like this: "Mr. MMtravel, we only have a few rooms left tonight. Would you be alright with taking an HA room? It has a huge walk in shower". I have always taken the room. Not having this info disclosed by the cast members last Friday made it an unpleasant surprise. If they had taken the time or consideration to mention it beforehand we might have been okay with it, whether other options were available or not.

The first morning after check-in we decided to tour the DVC model unit on premises to see what the differences were between an HA room and the standard studio they "advertise". When I asked the DVC sales person for a tour he said he had never seen an HA room at VGF.

The HA foyer closet is moved past the kitchen to the middle of the room and a little less wide than the standard room. The hanger rod is lowered to wheelchair access height as is the shelf holding extra bedding (note: no room to hang long garments). Empty space above this shelf goes unused. One of the two chairs at the small round table in the far corner of the room is removed in the HA room. These two changes allows extra space for the kitchen area where there are 4 cabinet doors across instead of the 2 doors in the standard studio.

The HA bathroom is one large room including the toilet, shower & sink, while the standard room has a close-off pocket door for the toilet and bathtub side of the room. This means no privacy to share the bathroom in the HA unless you are a REALLY close family.

Underbed storage in the model studio unit clearly showed that the drawer closest to the wall was inaccessible due to the proximity of the nightstand. As DW mentioned in the OP and others, there is no underbed drawer storage in the HA unit.

Other Information About Our Experience:

The manager was very helpful to DW and me on the phone and in person when we explained our concerns to him. He did not just give us "the smile" - he made a concerted effort to make our stay more enjoyable.

The drop down bed under the television was a regular sized twin that was "the most comfortable pull out at DVC" as declared by our DS who is 5' and about 100 lbs.

The WiFi was perfect throughout VGF and everywhere I went in the resort.

The elevators are lightning fast - ka-chow. The elevator arrives within 5 seconds of pressing the call button nearly every time.

Lower fixtures and storage (what little there was) are a challenge for me as a person of excessive height. The kitchen sink is smaller and set far underneath the overhead cabinets. DW was creative and pulled up the chair to wash the coffee pot & glassware.

The bathroom grab bars are well placed and very sturdy. The shower clothesline is lowered. The toilet paper roll is not well placed on the wall - knee height but too close to the fixture for a tall person. I couldn't sit facing forward on the fixture without my knee hitting the roll.

There are several narrow shelves on the wall next to the bathroom sink which go all the way to the floor but with no storage above sink level - inconvenient to have shelves on the floor for able or differently-abled people.

The half-sized refrigerator was a few millimeters too wide for the space it was in. The door rubbed against the cabinet and had to be forced closed every time. Also it is only a refrigerator - there is no separate freezer section to make ice or store frozen goods.

The hot water ran out on our last morning and Engineering had to be called to fix it. Nothing like a cold shower to put an exclamation point on the experience.

VGF is a lovely place, but I described it to my DW as a “lick-and-stick” DVC property. Disney has incorporated the building into the surroundings beautifully, but it doesn't have the welcoming feeling you get at other properties. VGF has no front desk. There are three office-sized desks that serve that purpose, one labeled concierge and two unlabeled. After 10PM there were no cast members at the front desk, and no bellman at the front door. Having the lobby unattended at night felt a little disconcerting.The room was fine, and the service was fine, but Disney makes its name with magical experiences, and I did not feel the DVC magic on this visit.
But the thing is that the reason it doesn't work well for you or how much of an issue the HC unit is simply is irrelevant from a system/membership standpoint, it's what you signed up for. You bought into a timeshare, all timeshares have limitations. One of those limitations for DVC is that you might get a HC unit, maybe this will change in the future, maybe it won't. It can happen elsewhere as well, we were given one at All Star sports a few years ago without signing up for it. If that's a risk you can't live with, you likely shouldn't own. Otherwise, there are ways to decrease the risk and you may want learn them.

For everyone who's interested in the productive conversation, we are uploading the HA room photos, which hopefully will be helpful to those who need them. We'll post them this weekend in a separate thread.

The main building is the only building at the Grand that has a front desk. All the outer buildings, except the club level, are unattended 24 hours a day.

Most Disney resorts only have CMs and front desks in the main building.

We are very lucky we have CMs most of the day in our lobby. They were very pleasant and helpful for the two weeks we were at the VGF.

My husband kept saying "Its so nice here I don't want to go home." I think he really felt at home there because our home in Massachusetts is decorated the same way. My granddaughter said it reminded her of home too.

The Grand is Grand!!!!!

For everyone who's interested in the productive conversation, we are uploading the HA room photos, which hopefully will be helpful to those who need them. We'll post them this weekend in a separate thread.
Please post the link to the new thread here...
I'd really want to see the HA rooms..

But the thing is that the reason it doesn't work well for you or how much of an issue the HC unit is simply is irrelevant from a system/membership standpoint, it's what you signed up for.

This.

I can't believe this thread. I'm all for changes to help the system - separate booking categories or maybe suggesting that they are building too many units as HA if people regularly get them who don't need them. For future projects. But then again, I would think - but I truly have no clue - that a percentage might be mandated re: building codes.

But other than pursuing any changes in the system, right now there's often too many HA rooms in the mix, and every time we stay of course we all have a chance of getting one as we check in. Of course. Honestly, I don't even understand any other viewpoint on this issue. Who do you think should be getting the overflow? :confused3 Anyone but you? Perplexing. (I have no issue with someone asking for a change if they wish/if it's possible but this seems like a whole different vibe)

And if there is this "not taking it" "not me" with such vigor going on at front desks - no wonder there are stories that many CMs don't want to work DVC front desks/mixed resorts.

I'm done with this thread. Our vacation is over and we had a wonderful time. We did not change rooms or even request to do so; it wasn't worth wasting an hour of vacation. We got creative, we "made do" with what we were given: uncomfortably low fixtures, one bathroom instead of two, and no nifty TV to play with. "Making do" is just not what we hoped for. I don't understand those who felt the need to attack us for being disappointed, but I'm done with it.

Just signed in mostly to apologize that we haven't posted the pix yet - will do as soon as we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter