Annoyed at VGF

Status
Not open for further replies.
If everyone knows there is a possibility of a HA room being assigned to someone who doesn't need it, why don't they make an effort to make the HA room more usable to the other type of guest? If there is wasted space up high, they could add shelving that some people would be able to use. And when they assign it to a regular family, they could make an immediate effort to bring in more chairs. There must be some way to make these rooms more desirable.

Also, I don't see why they wouldn't tell you at check-in that your room was HA. (Because they think every single guest checking in would argue with them?) They could give a cheerful little sales pitch about the good features of the room (view or whatever) and make some other type of effort to make the guest happy if that was the only room available. Maybe if it was a really big deal for the guest, it could come with dinner vouchers or something.

Like it's been said about other issues, it doesn't always matter so much what the problem is as it matters how they handle it. If they are sympathetic about the room disappointment and try to help in some way, the guest would still have a magical vacation.

If everyone knows there is a possibility of a HA room being assigned to someone who doesn't need it, why don't they make an effort to make the HA room more usable to the other type of guest? If there is wasted space up high, they could add shelving that some people would be able to use. And when they assign it to a regular family, they could make an immediate effort to bring in more chairs. There must be some way to make these rooms more desirable.
There are laws that govern how they have to be designed and economics where they need to keep the costs within the costs of the rooms overall. They could make them bigger and more usable but it'd cost more money for that villa but also reduce the number of villas as well further increasing costs and possibly the feasibility of the entire project.

Also, I don't see why they wouldn't tell you at check-in that your room was HA. (Because they think every single guest checking in would argue with them?)
this is exactly what happens, a lot more argue at the desk.

Like it's been said about other issues, it doesn't always matter so much what the problem is as it matters how they handle it. If they are sympathetic about the room disappointment and try to help in some way, the guest would still have a magical vacation.
Agreed for most people but some will argue and argue. I agree with making it conditional upon booking but since they haven't done that, and I doubt they will, it's simply understanding the risk and either accepting it or moving on outside DVC.

It should show up in the reservation system as a Handicapped room. That's what most other hotels do. I see no reason why they can't do that. After all, if I were traveling with a handicapped person, wouldn't I want to know that I was booking the handicapped room?

Current reservation practices seem to be very haphazard. There isn't even a place in early check in where you can request a handicapped room.

This way, if someone wants to stay in a VGF studio, but they see in the system that there is only a handicapped room left, they either take it and know what they are getting, or they book another vacation, and eventually a handicapped person snags it...or someone else at 7 month window who doesn't care.

Problem solved, disappointments disappear.

My 2 cents....

OK, pictures are now posted here:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3257137

They're not the best quality pictures I've ever shot, but hope it helps someone.

It does. I wouldn't request the room, but would love to have it. We like our kids to do things independently (dress and such) and this room has everything that would allow that to happen. I wonder if you can put in that you'd take the room if it isn't needed by another?

It should show up in the reservation system as a Handicapped room. That's what most other hotels do. I see no reason why they can't do that. After all, if I were traveling with a handicapped person, wouldn't I want to know that I was booking the handicapped room?

Current reservation practices seem to be very haphazard. There isn't even a place in early check in where you can request a handicapped room.

This way, if someone wants to stay in a VGF studio, but they see in the system that there is only a handicapped room left, they either take it and know what they are getting, or they book another vacation, and eventually a handicapped person snags it...or someone else at 7 month window who doesn't care.

My 2 cents....

I thought that I answered this question already, maybe it was another thread.

HC is a booking category, by federal law, people needing a HC room can book one online by checking a box to display the HC inventory.

Disney will not let a room set empty, when rooms are assigned prior to arrival, the assigner will fill the HC rooms just like any other room.

If you have a HC room assigned to you either by request or by assigner, the HC category will be listed on your reservation and online.

:earsboy: Bill

My 2 cents....
I'm guessing you didn't go through the entire thread. In addition to Bill's explanation, I'd point out that to get a HC room you must book it not request it. I suppose you could request one through MS and I'd bet they'd give it to you if they had extras but that would seem silly unless you needed one and it wasn't available at the time of booking. Not all HC units are the same either. I think we all agree that your suggestion would solve some of this problem (it's already listed in this thread) but I'm sure it would create some issues on the management side else they would have already done so. This would likely require a software change on Disney's part related to villa assignments, if so, always more complicated that it seems up front.

Lessons learned:
1. Always ask if you are being gifted with a HA room BEFORE you go upstairs and have Owner's Locker, Garden Grocer delivery, or luggage delivered there. Sit firm and refuse to budge until you get a decent room.

This is where my problem lies a la the front desk (I fully understood what you did this time and didn't do). It was to do with this comment. I assumed the bold meant, on future stays, that you would sit and refuse to budge if you got a HA room.

And I assumed you were strictly referring to getting an HA room as well here.

Am I wrong? Seriously, no sarcasm.

Or did the late coming comment after in your list mean that if you were a latecomer again on a future stay you would simply just accept the room?

I guess I assumed that in reality you would not be budging no matter what time of day because of the intensity of your comments and viewpoints on the issue.

My apologies if I was completely wrong.

Agreed for most people but some will argue and argue. I agree with making it conditional upon booking but since they haven't done that, and I doubt they will, it's simply understanding the risk and either accepting it or moving on outside DVC.

Yes. I've seen some interesting shows at the front desk. And certainly don't want to see them increased.

And conditional upon booking is what I meant by separate booking category.

Off to look at the pictures, although of course I have had a few in my stays over the years.

As a parent of two small children. I can see how any parent might find a shower only HA room a hassle..
Not having a bath tub, would be AWFUL!
My youngest takes a bath almost every night, as part of a sensory treatment..

If she could not have one all week, it would make it impossible to go out of the hotel...
As then she would not sleep and be cranky the rest of the trip..

I guess if we end up with one of these shower only HA rooms... There is always the fountain in the lobby right. ;-) j/k

The expectation of having specific amenities on vacation I think is reasonable. Yes I understand the timeshare yada yada. The real issue to me is that DVC could have elected to build HA rooms with the same features but chose not to. The sq ftg of room might have needed to increase but a studio, or 1br etc ha or not should have storage, should have at minimum the same features.

Since DVC chose to have the HA rooms be inferior, it is reasonable to have a room with a tub or with storage.

Maybe op should have titled her thread disappointed instead of annoyed. I feel she is coming from a very reasonable point as well as most people who posted in this thread. 1 - there were amenities about the hotel/room that are lacking in her room. 1 less bathroom. That is a big item. 2 - of course all who don't "need" a HA room are thankful that they do not need it but every person paying/points should be allowed with in reason to request a new room at any hotel if it is not up to their expectations. I say with in reason because no one should act crazy and throw a fit but a conversation with the front desk should not be criticized. 3 - I have never had a request granted regarding pre-booking by DVC so I have low expectations :-). Actually as long as my room is nice and clean I am happy. Although if I were paying for a premium view and did not receive I would most likely be upset. I am glad you are having a nice time and what a good idea about starting a thread where folks can post some pictures of the different HA rooms. I am sure many will find that helpful.

At any hotel yes but the problem is the op is not staying at a hotel. The op is staying at a timeshare resort which runs at 100 percent capacity. If it were a Hotel expecting to be moved would be reasonable but the position is very different for a timeshare. That's the DVC deal and that's what some poster were trying to point out. In a timeshare system it isn't reasonable to expect to have all your wants met, or a new room because you don't like something. That's the deal we all bought into when we bought DVC. Sometimes it is great soe times you have to just live with it but you are guaranteed a room at WDW

I feel totally jinxed that I was reading this thread last night. I have an upcoming vacation this weekend and had booked a Deluxe studio. I logged in today to add the dining plan and to my surprise my room became reclassified (for the first time since I booked it months ago) to a "HA room with roll-in-shower"!!! Now this is the first time since 2005 that this showed up in my upcoming vacations prior to check-in. Immediately I called MS and inquired why the change. After some time I was informed that the resort made the modification and DVC can't help me. So I called the resort and was told that DVC MS is responsible, typical blame game. After being transferred to 5 different people I was told that it is the only room available. I informed them how this will not work since I have an infant with me (can't bathe infant in a roll-in shower) they said I can re-book at a different category that is not HA - but costs more points. Transferred to a couple more people and somehow they were able to find a REGULAR deluxe studio with a tub. I'm just happy that I noticed this prior to check-in and was able to fix it. And by the way I always try to check-in first thing in the morning so that I get what I request and what I need for my family. I was totally shocked and surprised to get this assignment a few day prior to arrival.

OP- I totally feel your disappointment/annoyance at your room assignment and things not in working order. Especially since GFV is a brand new resort!

Oh yeah, Infant is what DVC classifies a 2 year old BTW. To me and most people she's a toddler. LOL

I was only assigned a HA room once. My son was absolutely phobic about showers until he was about 10 years old. No tub absolutely would not work for us. So, of course, we changed rooms. I just explained that my son wouldn't take a shower.
But, then there was the time at a different resort, the last time we ever stayed at that particular one. We were given a key to a room, and went over it. Went inside, and to our surprise, there were already people in it. The specific people included a histrionic 16 year old girl who complained that we "ruined" her vacation, and that the first room they were assigned was "filthy". I think we got their first room. This was a beach resort, and it looked like somebody had dropped jelly all over the carpet and then ground sand into it.

We have been assigned a savannah room at Kidani twice from which you can't see animals. I complained to member satisfaction, and got the line that the animals are free ranging, and that they need to be brought inside, etc. So, this time, I saved points and reserved a standard view room. Maybe we'll get the room next door, which was assigned standard.

I got this HA Studio (1311) at GFV on a cash reservation - I didn't like it and wanted the split bathroom with a bath, and a bed that wasn't on the floor. Getting rooms like this shouldn't be pot-luck, it should be obvious that you are booking it (like it is at Universal Studios resorts). The facilities are great if you need them, but they are a downgrade if you don't need them. I asked for a room change after I saw this room and thankfully got it.

Don't I, as a disabled individual (who travels with non-disabled individuals) deserve the same amenities, such as split bathrooms/duplicative sinks and equal amounts of reachable storage? Don't the people traveling with me?

The real issue is that many (most/almost all, or frequently, all) accessible rooms do not include nearly the same amenities as non-accessible rooms, and rarely features that are anything but utilitarian, in terms of meeting access issues (vibrating alarms/flashing light alarms, etc.). When I travel with kids, they are often more interested in a bath than a shower. But all accessible rooms don't have both. I cannot use a bathtub with handrails. I cannot, even with assistance, step over the edge of a bathtub. I can't even step up 2 inches.

All rooms should be built to a universal standard. It's not that hard. That provides equality/equity/fairness.

Edited to add: And for Disney, implementing Universal Design would be holding true to the ORIGINAL concept for EPCOT, updated a bit.

Last edited:
lol yes I spotted it was nearly 10 year old 😂😂😂. Still came up first when I googled the room number so I guess it does live forever! I’m not a DVC member so didn’t feel bad at all asking for a room change on a v expensive ($700) cash booking - and it provides an interesting counterpoint to the ‘it’s what you signed up for’ argument… which funnily enough was the first word out of the front desk cast members mouth. and that was without me complaining at all (and I didn’t have to, they sorted it but said ’it was a favour’)

Don't I, as a disabled individual (who travels with non-disabled individuals) deserve the same amenities, such as split bathrooms/duplicative sinks and equal amounts of reachable storage? Don't the people traveling with me?

The real issue is that many (most/almost all, or frequently, all) accessible rooms do not include nearly the same amenities as non-accessible rooms, and rarely features that are anything but utilitarian, in terms of meeting access issues (vibrating alarms/flashing light alarms, etc.). When I travel with kids, they are often more interested in a bath than a shower. But all accessible rooms don't have both. I cannot use a bathtub with handrails. I cannot, even with assistance, step over the edge of a bathtub. I can't even step up 2 inches.

All rooms should be built to a universal standard. It's not that hard. That provides equality/equity/fairness.
Agree!

lol yes I spotted it was nearly 10 year old 😂😂😂. Still came up first when I googled the room number so I guess it does live forever! I’m not a DVC member so didn’t feel bad at all asking for a room change on a v expensive ($700) cash booking - and it provides an interesting counterpoint to the ‘it’s what you signed up for’ argument… which funnily enough was the first word out of the front desk cast members mouth. and that was without me complaining at all (and I didn’t have to, they sorted it but said ’it was a favour’)
I’m glad you stood up for yourself. Completely unacceptable to assign people Ada rooms who are expecting regular rooms. Should be a booking category so people know what they are getting.

I’m glad you stood up for yourself. Completely unacceptable to assign people Ada rooms who are expecting regular rooms. Should be a booking category so people know what they are getting.
That's one heck of an attitude about receiving a room upgrade, PP!

Or are you implying that an ADA room is somehow inferior snd that it is perfectly OK that individuals with disabilities only deserve inferior services and treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter