Annoyed with neighbor's dog...

The people that live across the street from me have a yard the size or a bedroom , ran into some money ten yrs ago, so they decided to do the mature thing and purchase not 1 but 2 st Bernard's. both animals recently died with weeks of each other , its has been heavenly bliss since then. Now if only the neighbors would move away , I can die at peace. Idiots should take a course before purchasing animals.

Yes it does seem irresponsible. I realize this shouldn't be your issue and certainly not saying you are wrong to be put out however, a roll of wire garden fencing stapled to the bottom of the fence on your side is pretty cheap, easily installed and would save you a lot of anguish while still maintaining a decent relationship with your neighbor.

It's their brand new fence fully on their property.
I have no right to touch it so not doing that.

They also have small garden fences that just stick in the ground. Maybe 24" high. We live on a pond and have an issue with geese. We connected these small garden fences to our tall fence and it keeps them out of the back of our yard. They're in expensive and you can put them on your property without attaching anything to the fence.

Okay, so the issue I see is that the fence only touches OP's yard on one side. Even if those holes are plugged, what's to keep the dog from escaping via one of the other sides of the fence?

That's the problem. But at the very least, the dog will have fewer openings to escape from and when/if it does escape, at least it won't be on the OP's side of the yard so maybe it will go the other way! lol

In all seriousness, I would do something on my side in addition to having a friendly discussion with the neighbors about it.

The problem definitely lies on the dog owners and they need to solve it and quick because the dog could like you said be injured by a car or another dog. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is putting him on a long lease and line while in the yard that doesn't allow him to get to fence and under it.

Thoughts...
  • if poop is a concern.... I recommend fencing offing the property to prevent the dog from entry. Not just the dog.... it would keep out skunks and other animals too.
  • if the dog goes under the fence and into traffic. It's a Darwin solution. Problem solved.

Maybe you could suggest that your neighbor purchase a puppy bumper for the dog to wear. Once of my colleagues was having a horrible time with her dogs escaping her yard, despite their best efforts to plug all of the openings, they haven't escaped at all since getting them puppy bumpers to wear.

www.puppybumpers.net

Why can they not stack bricks on their own property? Excuse me for trying to offer a civil solution. It is obvious you would much rather OP find a reason to be angry and uncivil. I will take my neighborly and reasonable advice elsewhere so you can continue to offer various schemes to punish the pet and escalate the situation further

Wow, that escalated quickly.

I think what the poster was getting at is if there is enough of a gap between the fence and the property line, stacking bricks on the OP's side of the property line won't be helpful at all, since the dog could squeeze through.

Definitely be annoyed with neighbors. The dog is just being a dog. My county doesn't have a leash law, so animal control does nothing when called. I have two of the worst neighbors known to man! Here's a pic from my kitchen porch the other day.. this neighbor doesn't control his kids, his dogs, or his COW! :rotfl:

View attachment 244682

Holy cow!!! Sorry...it was just hanging there. :joker:

I would certainly first try the neighborly approach, trying to be reasonable and just ask them to control their dog...or cow. But if they're still ignorant to it, that's fine, I'll make sure it stays off my property. And no, I don't mean shoot it or anything...I'm actually firmly anti-gun. But if I have to drag it off, spray it, whatever...it will leave my yard and not return.

It seems pretty clear from the original post that the owners are well aware of the fact that the dog is getting out of their yard on a regular basis. I would go over and have a conversation with them about it once more very clearly emphasizing a concern for the dog's safety (both cars and other animals) but also mentioning that there are leash laws and that "someone" may also call animal control or even pick the dog up and take him if they see him loose.

We recently had an incident in my neighborhood where a dog was picked up by a college aged girl (she returned him that evening). The owners were trying to claim that she "stole" the dog and law enforcement should get involved, but it seemed obvious to most of us that she saw the dog out loose, looked around for owners, and put it in her car until she could locate them. Ironically, just a week or so before the dog owner was posting online inquiring about the local leash laws because apparently she had been told by our HOA that her allowing her dog to hang out in her front yard unsupervised was against the rules. She genuinely couldn't see where there was anything wrong with leaving a large dog outside completely unattended (in a neighborhood where the lots are about 1/10 of an acre). She claimed that the dog would NEVER leave the driveway, but I actually had to stop walking in that section of the neighborhood because the dog would come running over to us every time (even crossing the road).

It seems pretty clear from the original post that the owners are well aware of the fact that the dog is getting out of their yard on a regular basis. I would go over and have a conversation with them about it once more very clearly emphasizing a concern for the dog's safety (both cars and other animals) but also mentioning that there are leash laws and that "someone" may also call animal control or even pick the dog up and take him if they see him loose.

We recently had an incident in my neighborhood where a dog was picked up by a college aged girl (she returned him that evening). The owners were trying to claim that she "stole" the dog and law enforcement should get involved, but it seemed obvious to most of us that she saw the dog out loose, looked around for owners, and put it in her car until she could locate them. Ironically, just a week or so before the dog owner was posting online inquiring about the local leash laws because apparently she had been told by our HOA that her allowing her dog to hang out in her front yard unsupervised was against the rules. She genuinely couldn't see where there was anything wrong with leaving a large dog outside completely unattended (in a neighborhood where the lots are about 1/10 of an acre). She claimed that the dog would NEVER leave the driveway, but I actually had to stop walking in that section of the neighborhood because the dog would come running over to us every time (even crossing the road).

Ugh. People like her should not be pet owners.

I feel like I have not made it clear about the fences/property.
They have a fence for their backyard. I have a fence for my backyard. Both fences are fully on each person's property. There is no "my" side of the fence.
Between the fences is a sort of "moat" area that dips down for rain run off.
The dog gets out of their backyard and goes into my front yard that is not fenced.
I really have no right to go onto their property and attach anything to or set anything in front of their fence and have no plans to fully fence off my front yard so that their dog does not come in.
As I said they DO know its happening.
I have let them know in a nice way that I am not a dog person and would hate to see something happen to it since it does run in the road.
I have not personally offered them suggestions for solutions but being dog owners you'd think they could come up with their own solutions.
If you try to get the dog it does go right back to their property so animal control probably wouldn't even be able to get it because it would be back in its own fenced backyard like it never left by the time they got there.
It has definitely gotten bolder since the new fence was put up so I do fear something bad will happen soon if they don't fix it. :(
I just wondered if its me being a humbug or them being irresponsible.

OP, you have mentioned it to them, and they are fully aware of the fact that it gets out. Call animal control next time, don't feel guilty. They had their chance, this is the next step in protecting your property and that dog's life. They don't seem to care about either of those things, at least they have a neighbor like you and not someone who is willing to take care of the dog problem on their own if you know what I mean.

I feel like I have not made it clear about the fences/property.
They have a fence for their backyard. I have a fence for my backyard. Both fences are fully on each person's property. There is no "my" side of the fence.
Between the fences is a sort of "moat" area that dips down for rain run off.
The dog gets out of their backyard and goes into my front yard that is not fenced.
I really have no right to go onto their property and attach anything to or set anything in front of their fence and have no plans to fully fence off my front yard so that their dog does not come in.
As I said they DO know its happening.
I have let them know in a nice way that I am not a dog person and would hate to see something happen to it since it does run in the road.
I have not personally offered them suggestions for solutions but being dog owners you'd think they could come up with their own solutions.
If you try to get the dog it does go right back to their property so animal control probably wouldn't even be able to get it because it would be back in its own fenced backyard like it never left by the time they got there.
It has definitely gotten bolder since the new fence was put up so I do fear something bad will happen soon if they don't fix it. :(
I just wondered if its me being a humbug or them being irresponsible.

Yes they are being irrresponsible
You could take photos to show animal control, this may be enough for them to be fined.
While they have a responsibility to keep their dog confined, you have a responsibility for your property-if you don't want things entering your back yard then he reasonable thing to do is to fully fence it, and if you aren't willing to do that then there is likely no quick fix

Yes they are being irrresponsible
You could take photos to show animal control, this may be enough for them to be fined.
While they have a responsibility to keep their dog confined, you have a responsibility for your property-if you don't want things entering your back yard then he reasonable thing to do is to fully fence it, and if you aren't willing to do that then there is likely no quick fix

Like I said my backyard is fully fenced.
You're saying I should fence my front yard too??? When no one else in my neighborhood has a fenced front yard?
Don't you think its the neighbor that should be doing that to their yard not me to mine?

Call animal control. I had to do it once. It was a similar situation. My neighbors dog was medium sized, and extremly wild. It would jump all over anyone in my yard including small children. It knocked a 1.5 year old boy to the ground and trampled all over him. It would growl at me when I was doing yard work. I talked to them twice and returned it both times. The third time I went to talk to them they weren't home. The dog was out again. So I called animal control. They picked it up. Neighbors had pay a fine to pick it up from the shelter. After that they kept it home. I hated to do it, but it solved the problem.

Like I said my backyard is fully fenced.
You're saying I should fence my front yard too??? When no one else in my neighborhood has a fenced front yard?
Don't you think its the neighbor that should be doing that to their yard not me to mine?

If your backyard is fully fenced how is the dog getting into it?

You really can't control them, even if they are doing the wrong thing, you can control you and what you do with your property.
So your choices are
1) put up with things as they are
2) call animal control, take pictures of the dog loose etc until change happens
3) fence your yard so the dog can't get in it and do t worry about it anymore

The OP has mentioned multiple times that her back yard is fenced in. The dog is not getting into her back yard. The dog is going into her front yard and into the street. She does not want the dog running loose regardless of whether her back yard is "safe". I would be irritated too. In our previous home the neighbor's dog would come onto our front porch and into our garage. Our back yard was fully fenced, but obviously the dog was still causing problems for us (barking/growling at us, urinating on our porch furniture, confronting guests who pulled into our driveway or came to the front door, getting into the trash, etc.)

You really can't control them, even if they are doing the wrong thing, you can control you and what you do with your property.
So your choices are
1) put up with things as they are
2) call animal control, take pictures of the dog loose etc until change happens
3) fence your yard so the dog can't get in it and do t worry about it anymore
I've said several times now it is getting into my FRONT yard...

Definitely be annoyed with neighbors. The dog is just being a dog. My county doesn't have a leash law, so animal control does nothing when called. I have two of the worst neighbors known to man! Here's a pic from my kitchen porch the other day.. this neighbor doesn't control his kids, his dogs, or his COW! :rotfl:

View attachment 244682

WHen my husband raised dairy replacements the barn and pasture was across from a golf course. $500 fine per HOOF PRINT. Each cow has 4 hooves....and makes how many steps ..... do the math. We lived in fear of that dreaded "cows are out" call!

OP- call animal control. You will be doing that poor little dog a favor.

Next time the dog is out, don't take it back home, instead take it to animal control and tell them you found a loose dog.
I had a neighbor do that with someone's cat that kept pooping no their flower bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter