• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Annual reading challenge 2017-come join us

Week 10 - I read two books this week which brings me to 40 of 104.

Dark Waters by J.B. Turner - crime thriller. Very fast paced but totally unbelievable. Seemed to require you to be a serious conspiracy theorist.

Blackbird Fly by Lisa McClendon - woman's fiction. This was the first in a series and I will NOT be bothering with any of the others.

Book #9 - The Girl Before by JP Delaney

Please make a list of every possession you consider essential to your life.

The request seems odd, even intrusive—and for the two women who answer, the consequences are devastating.
EMMA
Reeling from a traumatic break-in, Emma wants a new place to live. But none of the apartments she sees are affordable or feel safe. Until One Folgate Street. The house is an architectural masterpiece: a minimalist design of pale stone, plate glass, and soaring ceilings. But there are rules. The enigmatic architect who designed the house retains full control: no books, no throw pillows, no photos or clutter or personal effects of any kind. The space is intended to transform its occupant—and it does.
JANE
After a personal tragedy, Jane needs a fresh start. When she finds One Folgate Street she is instantly drawn to the space—and to its aloof but seductive creator. Moving in, Jane soon learns about the untimely death of the home’s previous tenant, a woman similar to Jane in age and appearance. As Jane tries to untangle truth from lies, she unwittingly follows the same patterns, makes the same choices, crosses paths with the same people, and experiences the same terror, as the girl before.

Book #4/50: Once Gone by Blake Pierce

From Goodreads:
Women are turning up dead in the rural outskirts of Virginia, killed in grotesque ways, and when the FBI is called in, they are stumped. A serial killer is out there, his frequency increasing, and they know there is only one agent good enough to crack this case: Special Agent Riley Paige.

Riley is on paid leave herself, recovering from her encounter with her last serial killer, and, fragile as she is, the FBI is reluctant to tap her brilliant mind. Yet Riley, needing to battle her own demons, comes on board, and her hunt leads her through the disturbing subculture of doll collectors, into the homes of broken families, and into the darkest canals of the killer’s mind. As Riley peels back the layers, she realizes she is up against a killer more twisted than she could have imagined. In a frantic race against time, she finds herself pushed to her limit, her job on the line, her own family in danger, and her fragile psyche collapsing.

Yet once Riley Paige takes on a case, she will not quit. It obsesses her, leading her to the darkest corners of her own mind, blurring the lines between hunter and hunted. After a series of unexpected twists, her instincts lead her to a shocking climax that even Riley could not have imagined.

#13/80: A Fine Romance by Candice Bergen (3.5/5) (memoir)
This basically goes from her marriage to Louis Malle to her daughter's engagement. I really enjoyed some parts, but some I just skimmed.

#14/80: Rise of the Rocket Girls by Nathalia Holt (4/5) (nonfiction)
History of women who worked as computers in California influencing the rocket and space industry.

#15/80: The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown (5/5) (nonfiction)
Story of the Washington college crew team and how they developed into Olympic champions in the 1936 Olympics, focusing on one rower's challenges. Very inspiring!

#16/80: The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware (4/5) (psychological thriller)
Very similar to The Girl on the Train

12/40 - Wedding Shop: It’s the early 1930s, but Cora Scott is walking in stride as a career woman after having inherited her great aunt’s wedding shop in Heart’s Bend, Tennessee, where brides come from as far away as Birmingham to experience her famed bridal treatment. Meanwhile, Cora is counting down the days until her own true love returns from the river to make her his bride. But days turn into months and months to years. All the while, Birch Good continues to woo Cora and try to show her that while he is solid and dependable, he can sweep her off her feet.
More than eighty years later, former Air Force Captain Haley Morgan has returned home to Heart’s Bend after finishing her commitment to military service. After the devastating death of her best friend, Tammy, and discovering the truth about the man she loved, Haley is searching for her place in life. When Haley decides to reopen the romantic but abandoned wedding shop where she and Tammy played and dreamed as children, she begins a journey of courage, mystery, and love.
As Cora’s and Haley’s stories intertwine through time in the shadow of the beloved wedding shop, they both discover the power of their own dreams and the magic of everyday love.

13/40 - Everything is love: Baptiste Molino has devoted his life to other people’s happiness. Moored on his houseboat on the edge of Toulouse, he helps his clients navigate the waters of contentment, yet remains careful never to make waves of his own.
Baptiste is more concerned with his past than his future: particularly the mysterious circumstances of his birth and the identity of his birth mother. But Sophie, the young waitress in his local bar, believes it is time for Baptiste to rediscover passion and leads him into the world on his doorstep he has long tried to avoid.
However, it is Baptiste’s new client who may end up being the one to change his perspective. Elegant and enigmatic, Amandine Rousseau is fast becoming a puzzle he longs to solve. As tensions rise on the streets of the city, Baptiste’s determination to avoid both the highs and lows of love begins to waver. And when his mother’s legacy finally reveals itself, he finds himself torn between pursuing his own happiness and safeguarding that of the one he loves.

#17/80: Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen (4.5/5) (memoir)
Really enjoyed learning some of the background info about the music. He did use a lot of f-words, so be warned!

#18/80: The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite #4) (4.5/5) (detective mystery)
I have borrowed all of these through Kindle lending library. I enjoy the series.

#19/80: The Overlook (Bosch #13) by Michael Connelly (4.5/5) (LA detective)
Another series I really enjoy. He is a tortured but conscientious soul.

12/65-"Kneading to Die". This did what I hate about so many cozies. There was a "big reveal" near the end of the book. If the reader had known this fact earlier in the book, it might have been possible to guess the killer. So many people had motives, but no one even knew about this one. I hate that so many cozies seem to do this.

#10 A Dog's Purpose : A Novel for Humans - W. Bruce Cameron

This is the remarkable story of one endearing dog's search for his purpose over the course of several lives. More than just another charming dog story, this touches on the universal quest for an answer to life's most basic question: Why are we here?

Surprised to find himself reborn as a rambunctious golden haired puppy after a tragically short life as a stray mutt, Bailey's search for his new life's meaning leads him into the loving arms of 8 year old Ethan. During their countless adventures Bailey joyously discovers how to be a good dog. But this life as a beloved family pet is not the end of Bailey's journey. Reborn as a puppy yet again, Bailey wonders, will he ever find his purpose?

Heartwarming, insightful, and often laugh out loud funny, this book is not only the emotional and hilarious story of a dog's many lives, but also a dog's eye commentary on human relationships and the unbreakable bonds between man and man's best friend. This story teaches us that love never dies, that our true friends are always with us, and that every creature on earth is born with a purpose.

Week 11 - I read three books this week which puts me at 43 of 104.

Write Me Home by Crystal Walton - Christian romance with the standard happy ending but a bit more complex story line and not at all preachy.

Finding Love in Sun Valley - Christian romance with the standard happy ending. This one was very simplistic but had some interesting facts about references to water in the Bible.

The Pelican Brides - Historical Christian romance set in 17th century Louisiana with the French and British struggling for control and on how to deal with the native tribes.

Last edited:
9/60

Good As Gone by Amy Gentry

Thirteen-year-old Julie Whitaker was kidnapped from her bedroom in the middle of the night, witnessed only by her younger sister. Her family was shattered, but managed to stick together, hoping against hope that Julie is still alive. And then one night: the doorbell rings. A young woman who appears to be Julie is finally, miraculously, home safe. The family is ecstatic—but Anna, Julie’s mother, has whispers of doubts. She hates to face them. She cannot avoid them. When she is contacted by a former detective turned private eye, she begins a torturous search for the truth about the woman she desperately hopes is her daughter.

Finished book #16/70 - The Ice Beneath Her by Camilla Grebe

This is a scandinavian crime fiction story that was just okay. 3 stars

Winter’s chill has descended on Stockholm as police arrive at the scene of a shocking murder. An unidentified woman lies beheaded in a posh suburban home—a brutal crime made all the more disturbing by its uncanny resemblance to an unsolved killing ten years earlier. But this time there’s a suspect: the charismatic and controversial chain-store CEO Jesper Orre, who owns the home but is nowhere to be found.
To homicide detectives Peter Lindgren and Manfred Olsson, nothing about the suave, high-profile businessman—including a playboy reputation and rumors of financial misdeeds—suggests he conceals the dark heart and twisted mind of a cold-blooded killer. In search of a motive, Lindgren and Olsson turn to the brilliant criminal profiler Hanne Lagerlind-Schön. Once a valued police asset, now marooned in unhappy retirement and a crumbling marriage, she’s eager to exercise her keen skills again—and offer the detectives a window into the secret soul of Jesper Orre.
But they’re not the only ones searching. Two months before, Emma Bohman, a young clerk at Orre’s company, chanced to meet the charming chief executive, and romance swiftly bloomed. Almost as quickly as the passionate affair ignited, it was over when Orre inexplicably disappeared. One staggering misfortune after another followed, leaving Emma certain that her runaway lover was to blame and transforming her confusion and heartbreak into anger.
Now, pursuing the same mysterious man for different reasons, Emma and the police are destined to cross paths in a chilling dance of obsession, vengeance, madness, and love gone hellishly wrong.

Finished book #17/70 - A List Of Cages by Robin Roe

This is a YA book that deals with abuse. I think this is a good story about friendship and being there for others. There were a couple things that were a little unbelievable, like all the high school teachers were mean. Yes, some are or at least don't care much about the students, but not all. Second, if you end up in the hospital and are being questioned by police, I would think a teen would call their mom, not their girlfriend (especially in this situation). 3.5 stars

When Adam Blake lands the best elective ever in his senior year, serving as an aide to the school psychologist, he thinks he’s got it made. Sure, it means a lot of sitting around, which isn’t easy for a guy with ADHD, but he can’t complain, since he gets to spend the period texting all his friends. Then the doctor asks him to track down the troubled freshman who keeps dodging her, and Adam discovers that the boy is Julian—the foster brother he hasn’t seen in five years.
Adam is ecstatic to be reunited. At first, Julian seems like the boy he once knew. He’s still kindhearted. He still writes stories and loves picture books meant for little kids. But as they spend more time together, Adam realizes that Julian is keeping secrets, like where he hides during the middle of the day, and what’s really going on inside his house. Adam is determined to help him, but his involvement could cost both boys their lives…

Book #5/50: Exhume (Dr. Schwartzman, #1) by Danielle Girard

From Goodreads:
Dr. Annabelle Schwartzman has finally found a place to belong. As the medical examiner for the San Francisco Police Department, working alongside homicide detective Hal Harris, she uncovers the tales the dead can’t tell about their final moments. It is a job that gives her purpose—and a safe haven from her former life at the hands of an abusive husband. Although it’s been seven years since she escaped that ordeal, she still checks over her shoulder to make sure no one is behind her.

Schwartzman’s latest case is deeply troubling: the victim bears an eerie resemblance to herself. What’s more, a shocking piece of evidence suggests that the killer’s business is far from over—and that Schwartzman may be in danger. In this pulse-pounding thriller from award-winning writer Danielle Girard, a woman must face her worst nightmare to catch a killer.

#12 - Third Gate by Lincoln Child

The third in a series involving the character Jeremy Logan. Similar in feel to those he writes with Douglas Preston, but a but more scientific. I thought this was OK, but the ending could have been stronger.

#13 - Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close

I think I tried to read this a few years ago and couldn't get through it. I got through it this time. I like snapshots into the lives of the characters, but many were tough to relate to. Similar time in life to the show Girls, but less engaging.

#14 - Cinder by Marissa Meyer

So many people have been praising the Lunar Chronicles series. It's a retelling of fairy tales, but I was so not engaged. I finished it and was shocked that the author just stopped writing before the big payoff at the end. I won't be reading any more of these.

#15 - The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarty

Not as good as Big Little Lies, but I didn't want to stop reading nonetheless. I'll continue to read my way through her novels.

14/100 - 50 Great American Places by Brent D. Glass

A collection of short historical essays by a noted historian, formerly of the Smithsonian Museum of American History, the book seeks to build a must-see list of notable historic sites across the country. I had a hard time getting into this, just because of the format - 3 to 5 pages of overview and anecdotes about each destination - but it was full of historical tidbits I didn't know and included a number of sites I didn't even know existed, like a monument at the site of one of the WWII Japanese internment camps.

15 & 16/100 - The Last Girl and The Final Trade by Joe Hart

As far as dystopian and post-apocalyptic fiction goes, this one wins points for a unique premise - set in a world where a genetic mutation has virtually ended the birth of girls, the action in the first book centers around the remnants of a government agency that kidnaps any girls or young women it can find in the name of finding a way to reverse the mutation and one prisoner's escape. As a scenario for the end of the civilized world, this one was surprisingly plausible, with a rebellion rising up to challenge the government as people tried to resist the taking of their daughters and a traveling marketplace and slave trade created to cater to the lowest common denominator in a world where women are scarce. Both books were fast-paced, with enough action to keep the story moving at a good clip but not so much that it eclipses character development or interaction, and were the sort of books that keep you up reading "just one more chapter" at night. The only downside? The third book isn't out yet, and the second ends on a cliffhanger!

#20/80: Nine Dragons (Bosch #15) by Michael Connelly (4.5/5)(LA homicide detective)
Wow, really emotional one.

#21/80: The Reversal (Bosch #16/Haller #3) by Michael Connelly (4/5) (homicide/legal thriller)
Interesting to see both working together.

#22/80: Murder in Paradise (Florida Keys Mystery #4) by Deborah Brown (3.5/5) (Kindle owner's lending library selection)
Think Stephanie Plum in a beach setting

Finished book #18/70 - We Have Always Lived In The Castle by Shirley Jackson

I liked this story and the 2 main characters. It surprised me how darkly funny it was, especially the end. I read The Lottery in school and that story has stayed with me, so I wish I had read this sooner.

Merricat Blackwood lives on the family estate with her sister Constance and her Uncle Julian. Not long ago there were seven Blackwoods—until a fatal dose of arsenic found its way into the sugar bowl one terrible night. Acquitted of the murders, Constance has returned home, where Merricat protects her from the curiosity and hostility of the villagers. Their days pass in happy isolation until cousin Charles appears. Only Merricat can see the danger, and she must act swiftly to keep Constance from his grasp.

#10/60

Watching Edie by Camilla Way

'Beautiful, creative, a little wild… Edie was the kind of girl who immediately caused a stir when she walked into your life. And she had dreams back then—but it didn’t take long for her to learn that things don’t always turn out the way you want them to.

Now, at thirty-three, Edie is working as a waitress, pregnant and alone. And when she becomes overwhelmed by the needs of her new baby and sinks into a bleak despair, she thinks that there’s no one to turn to…

But someone’s been watching Edie, waiting for the chance to prove once again what a perfect friend she can be. It’s no coincidence that Heather shows up on Edie’s doorstep, just when Edie needs her the most. So much has passed between them—so much envy, longing, and betrayal. And Edie’s about to learn a new lesson: those who have hurt us deeply—or who we have hurt—never let us go, not entirely…'

Finally! Book 10 of the year and the first GOOD book so far! Really liked this one, didn't guess that ending tho....

Finished book #1/30- Inferno by Dan Brown. I wanted to read it before watching the movie, but based on the book I am not going to bother seeing the movie.

Started book #2- The Good Neighbor. I got about 6 chapters in and just can't get in to it.

Started new #2 last night- The DaVinci Code. I have read this in the past, loved it and reading Inferno got me thinking about it.

Finished book #2, haven't moved on to book #3 yet. I'm moving pretty slow, at this rate I won't even get half of my goal done by the end of the year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter