Annual reading challenge 2017-come join us

to willowsnn3:
It was published in 2013 so not new. She is up to about #9 I think.

I did find this one on one of my already read lists.
According to her website, I have 3 more to go. Yay! I love the Katie Burkholder series.

Week 13 - I read 5 books this week which brings me to 50/104. The books I read were:

Faith by Ruth Hartzler - an Amish story which features a horse named 'Blessings' which shows up mysteriously and leads to life changing events. It is the first in a series and a quick read.

One Friday Afternoon by T.K. Chapman - contemporary Christian fiction which attempts to address the effects of infidelity on a marriage. I found it whinny and simplistic. For example, the couple does one brief counseling session with an associate pastor and everything gets straightened out and headed to the happy ending.

Awakening by Tracy Higley - this was a free kindle book. I thought is was going to be a romance/mystery. Instead it was a romance/mystery/fantasy and meandered too much. I would not recommend it.

Murder At the Mansion by Alina Golda and Jamie Vougeot - An English woman victor (pastor) solves a murder at the estate of a newcomer. Another quick read.

84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff - this is an oldie, first published in 1970. It is a series of actual letters between a New York City free lance writer and a 2nd hand bookseller in London. It starts in 1949 when England still was suffering from food and goods shortages and had rationing. It continued through the next twenty years until the last partner of the book shop passes away.

#10.5 - Masters of Sex by Thomas Maier

This is the book that the Showtime Show was based on.
I only read half of it. I kept hoping it would get better but it never did. It was very dry. I feel asleep every time I started to read it.

If I can jump in and catch up. In order of preference I've read:

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Hunt absolutely the best book our book club has read to date. Still think about June.

Did You Ever Have A Family by Bill Clegg. Haunting. Gripping.

The Language of Flowers :thumbsup2 just love Vanessa Diffenbaugh

The Ocean at the End of the Lane :thumbsup2 Neil Gaiman

Lion :thumbsup2 true stories are always a plus.

Week 9 - Read seven books this week which me at 38 of 104. The books for this week are

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh - what happens when at 18 years old you age out of the foster care system? This book is a fictional account of one girl getting her life together when she ages out, It went back and forth between her childhood in the foster care system and the life she is building as a florist. Lots of interesting details about the language of flowers that is, each flower having a single word meaning. This book I would highly recommend.

Loved this book! And she has a second novel out now too.

14/40 - The girl in the garden - An unforgettable novel about a young woman and her infant son, abandoned at a seaside motel in New England, and the secrets of the townspeople who provide them with shelter.
When June arrives on the coast of New England, baby in arms, an untrustworthy man by her side, Mabel—who rents them a cabin—senses trouble. A few days later, the girl and her child are abandoned. June is soon placed with Mabel’s friend, Iris, in town, and her life becomes entwined with a number of locals who have known one another for decades: a wealthy recluse with a tragic past; a widow in mourning; a forsaken daughter returning for the first time in years, with a stranger in tow; a lawyer, whose longings he can never reveal; and a kindly World War II veteran who serves as the town's sage. Surrounded by the personal histories and secrets of others, June finds the way forward for herself and her son amid revelations of the others' pasts, including loves—and crimes—from years ago.

15/40 - No Tan Lines - There's a place where the ocean meets the shore, where kicking off your shoes and baring some skin is as natural as sneaking under the boardwalk for an ice cream cone and stolen kisses.
But life isn't all a beach for Shaye Cates, even if her idea of an office is a shady umbrella at the water's edge equipped with cell phone and laptop. Steely-eyed Trace Saunders is the incredibly irksome fly in her coconut tanning oil. And running a kids' softball team with her long-time rival is going to have everyone in her little Florida town buzzing. Her scads of laid-back relatives and his whole uptight clan know that Shaye just wants to play ball while Trace thinks only of business. But beneath the twinkling lights of the ferris wheel, the magic of sea and sand can sweep away every inhibition...

16/40 - The fifth letter - A fun vacation game turns destructive, exposing dark secrets, deeply buried grudges, and a shocking betrayal in Nicola Moriarity’s intriguing debut.

17/40 - The Sisters of Sugarcreek - Many lives were changed the day a fire burned down Faith Community Church, devastating the small town of Sugarcreek, Ohio.Now a young Amish widow, Lydia Gruber faces an uncertain future. Her husband, a craftsman and volunteer firefighter, always took care of everything, keeping her isolated from others in their community. Without anyone or any skills, how will she survive?With the death of her beloved aunt Rose in the fire, single mom Jessica Holtz inherits Rose's Knit One Quilt Too cottage. Though determined to keep the shop open in her aunt's memory, she doesn't know the first thing about knitting and quilting and begins to see her aunt's dream slip through her fingers.When Liz Cannon lost her dear friend Rose, she also lost her partner in the Secret Stitches Society--the name they gave themselves while delivering gifts of hope to troubled folks in the dark of night. Liz convinces Jessica to keep the anonymous society going, despite the younger women's inadequacy with knitting and sewing needles. But soon Liz has problems of her own as the life she has rebuilt for herself begins to crumble again.When Liz and Jessica choose Lydia for their first mission, the three women cross paths and form an unlikely friendship in the aftermath of tragedy. As they walk together through triumph and heartbreak--through grief and new chances at love--they begin to discover that with friends by your side, a stitch of hope can be found anywhere.

18/40 - One Wish - Grace Dillon was a champion figure skater until she moved to Thunder Point to escape the ruthless world of fame and competition. And though she's proud of the quiet, self-sufficient life she's created running a successful flower shop, she knows something is missing. Her life could use a little excitement.
In a community where there are few eligible singles, high school teacher Troy Headly appoints himself Grace's fun coach. When he suggests a little companionship with no strings attached, Grace is eager to take him up on his offer, and the two enjoy…getting to know each other.
But things get complicated when Grace's past catches up with her, and she knows that's not what Troy signed up for. Faced with losing her, Troy realizes Grace is more than just a friend with benefits. He's determined to help her fight for the life she always wished for but never believed she could have—and maybe they can find real love along the way.

19/40 - Two Good Dogs - When Cody, a troubled fourteen-year-old, witnesses a murder, she tells no one. But it begins a spiral for her from which she cannot escape. Her worried mother Skye thinks a change of scene is just what her introverted, withdrawn daughter needs and since her dream has always been to own an inn, she jumps at the chance to buy a dilapidated bed & breakfast in the Berkshires. But being an innkeeper is harder than it seems and Cody still seems to fall in with the wrong crowd. When Adam March arrives as the inn’s only guest, he is accompanied by his rescued pit bull, Chance, a dog who has saved Adam in more ways than one. Cody and Chance begin a wary bond and soon, Adam finds another rescue who needs the kind of attention he gave Chance years ago. With Adam and Skye beginning a tentative relationship and Chance showing Cody how to trust again, this new-found family seems to be on the brink of second chances. But soon, a murderer is closing in—someone hiding in plain sight, and threatening everything and everyone—even Cody’s life.

Book #6/50: Walk Into Silence by Susan McBride

From Goodreads:
When Patrick Dielman shows up at Detective Jo Larsen’s desk insisting that his wife, Jenny, is missing, Jo wonders if it’s a case of a bored housewife running away.

But as she digs deeper into Jenny’s life, Jo learns that Dielman keeps a stranglehold on the family finances, down to the last nickel, and that Jenny’s first marriage dissolved following the death of her young son. By all accounts—including her doctor’s—she never recovered from the loss. Between a controlling husband, a tragic past, and a callous ex-husband, Jo can’t be sure if she should suspect foul play or accept that the woman may have wanted to disappear.

For Jo, whose own demons are shadowing her every step, finding Jenny becomes more than the typical protect-and-serve.

4 of 20: Echoes in Death

As NY Lt. Eve Dallas and her billionaire husband Roarke are driving home, a young woman—dazed, naked, and bloody—suddenly stumbles out in front of their car. Roarke slams on the brakes and Eve springs into action.

Daphne Strazza is rushed to the ER, but it’s too late for her husband Dr. Anthony Strazza. A brilliant orthopedic surgeon, he now lies dead amid the wreckage of his obsessively organized town house, his three safes opened and emptied. Daphne would be a valuable witness, but in her terror and shock the only description of the perp she can offer is repeatedly calling him “the devil”...

While it emerges that Dr. Strazza was cold, controlling, and widely disliked, this is one case where the evidence doesn’t point to the spouse. So Eve and her team must get started on the legwork, interviewing everyone from dinner-party guests to professional colleagues to caterers, in a desperate race to answer some crucial questions:

What does the devil look like? And where will he show up next?

Last 1/3 is pretty intense and I breezed through it rather quickly. Middle dragged a little, which seems to be the case a lot of the time with the In Death books. Still, overall it was pretty good. Glad to see there weren't any "Eve dreams about her father" moments. Honestly, that's gotten pretty old after 45 books.

3.5 out of 5 stars.

Book #7/50: Extracted by R.R. Haywood

From Goodreads:
In 2061, a young scientist invents a time machine to fix a tragedy in his past. But his good intentions turn catastrophic when an early test reveals something unexpected: the end of the world.

A desperate plan is formed. Recruit three heroes, ordinary humans capable of extraordinary things, and change the future.

Safa Patel is an elite police officer, on duty when Downing Street comes under terrorist attack. As armed men storm through the breach, she dispatches them all.

'Mad' Harry Madden is a legend of the Second World War. Not only did he complete an impossible mission—to plant charges on a heavily defended submarine base—but he also escaped with his life.

Ben Ryder is just an insurance investigator. But as a young man he witnessed a gang assaulting a woman and her child. He went to their rescue, and killed all five.

Can these three heroes, extracted from their timelines at the point of death, save the world?

Week 14 - I read four books this week which brings me to 54/104. The books I read were:

The Dante Connection - A Genevieve Lenard Novel by Estelle Ryan. This is the second in a series about a highly intelligent, high functioning autistic woman who works as an insurance investigator. It has art theft, coded messages and sinister threats. It is not believable but most thrillers are not and the details of how her mind works kept it interesting. I also read the first book in the series but not sure I will do any more.

Beneath A Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan. This was a good one. It is the story of a young man's courage and resilience during the final year of WWII in Italy. It is a fictionalized account of a true story and was an incredible tale. Although the author had interviews with the man and did a lot of research to verify details, he filled in details to make it into novel form.

The Lure by S.W. Hubbard. A crime/mystery in a small, rural town in upstate New York. A quick read with a Christian undertone but no preaching.

Soar Like Eagles by Terri Wangard. A Christian romance with usual happy ending but with interesting details about the woman who served in the Red Cross during WWII.

I abandoned two and read two this week.

#26/80: The Burning Room (Bosch #19) by Michael Connelly (4/5) (LA detective)
#27/80: The Crossing (Bosch #20 with Haller) by Michael Connelly (4/5) (LA PI)

I enjoy this series; it was interesting to see some changes due to his leaving the police force.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter