Annual reading challenge 2017-come join us

1. 6/100 Dating Mr. December by Phillipa Ashely 1/18 12:39pm Fun romance book. Was made into a movie that I had seen before so wanted to read the book. Good fluff.
  2. 7/100 Little Keepers At Home by Susan D Zakula 1/19 10:35am

#3/60

If There Be Dragons by Kay Hooper

From the back cover: What was a woman like Brooke Kennedy doing running a guest lodge alone in the Montana wilderness? And why was her best friend so worried about her? Those were the questions Cody Nash asked himself after agreeing to cancel his tropical vacation to go on a mission of mercy into blizzard country. For the strong and self assured woman he found didn't need or want his help, but she was in trouble. Brooke had isolated herself from the world for reasons she wouldn't or couldn't say. But Cody didn't need to be a psychic to sense that Brooke was afraid. Even more, her fear had intensified from the moment he arrived. Now, as a dangerous storm strands them together, Cody must learn the well guarded secret of this beautiful, gifted woman if he can convince her to give him the one thing he needs to save her from a self imposed exile: her trust.

Don't bother with this one. Spent the whole book trying to figure out the plot and then at the end realized there wasn't one.
I can honestly say the 3 books I have read so far this year have to be the worst ever!
In my defense (for actually completing them) tho they were all from the "free" shelf at the library and I had just grabbed them a few days before my surgery to have something on hand for the weeks I would be recuperating at home and unable to get out. What a real let down, lol.
But look out library here I come, already have several on hold that are in transit so here's to finding a good read!

Another "don't bother" book is the one I just finished, "Furiously Happy", an autobiographical account by a woman with mental illness who takes a comical stand on her condition. Sounded so promising, but I hated it.

The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware...I read it all in one day, once I started I couldn't put it down.

It reminded me a little of Girl on the Train, but I actually liked the protagonist. It keeps you guessing, and it took me a minute to figure out what was going on. Once I did, it was a little contrived, but still interesting. It is a page turner for sure!

I've been wanting to read In a Dark, Dark Wood by the same author, and this made me want to read it even more.

The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware...I read it all in one day, once I started I couldn't put it down.

It reminded me a little of Girl on the Train, but I actually liked the protagonist. It keeps you guessing, and it took me a minute to figure out what was going on. Once I did, it was a little contrived, but still interesting. It is a page turner for sure!

I've been wanting to read In a Dark, Dark Wood by the same author, and this made me want to read it even more.

Just put a hold on this!

Just finished some Kindle based reading.

#5/80: The Night Bird by Brian Freeman (Kindle First selection for January) (4/5) (San Fransisco police mystery)
I was pleasantly surprised by this one!

#6/80: Trouble in Paradise (Paradise Keys Mystery #3) by Deborah Brown (Kindle Owner's Lending Library selection) (3.5)
Reminds me of a Stephanie Plum book.

1/40 - Cakewalk
2/40 - Bookshop on the corner
3/40 - Aloha Quilt

I also read gardening book How to grow more vegetables and cookbook called Run fast eat slow. I won't count them in my true book count as I didn't read page by page.

4/40 - Summer at the Bakery on Main St.
5/40 - The life she wants

#4 - The Collector - Nora Roberts

When professional house-sitter Lila Emerson witnesses a murder/suicide from her current apartment-sitting job, life as she knows it takes a dramatic turn. Suddenly, the woman with no permanent ties finds herself almost wishing for one. . . .

Artist Ashton Archer knows his brother isn’t capable of violence—against himself or others. He recruits Lila, the only eyewitness, to help him uncover what happened. Ash longs to paint her as intensely as he hungers to touch her. But their investigation draws them into a rarified circle where priceless antiques are bought, sold, gambled away, and stolen, where what you possess is who you are, and where what you desire becomes a deadly obsession. . .

Week 4. I have been having problems sleeping so read 6 books this week. That puts me at 14 of 104.

All but one was fluff - the literary equivalent of junk food. The non-fluff was Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline. It is a fictionalized account of train loads of orphans taken from the east coast in the late 1920's. The orphans were taken to the Midwest and handed out to families that came to meet the trains in response to newspaper ads. It was told in flash backs by a 91 year old woman who was one of the orphans to a troubled teen in foster care. The teen is doing 50 hours of community service after being caught stealing by helping the older woman clean out her attic. The orphan trains were real and the story is well researched and very interesting.

The fluff books were Kept by Sally Brady and Home to You by Jenn Faulk both Christian romance and Fancy Dancer by Fern Michaels, From This Moment by Debra Clopton and The Return of Rafe MacKade by Nora Roberts all romance novels with no socially redeeming content.

#1Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben
Man first book of the year is the hardest.
It worked I was fooled, and I really enjoyed the book basically up tp the point that I discovered that I was fooled.
I enjoyed writing style and will definitely read another book by him, Still the ending let me down for a number of reasons.

(If anyone is interested, I would gladly send kindle gift versions of any of my works, Written for You , Cemetery Girl, Three Twigs for the Campfire, or Reigning. You can see them reviewed on goodreads. Just PM here or there or like post.)

Week 4. I have been having problems sleeping so read 6 books this week. That puts me at 14 of 104.

All but one was fluff - the literary equivalent of junk food. The non-fluff was Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline. It is a fictionalized account of train loads of orphans taken from the east coast in the late 1920's. The orphans were taken to the Midwest and handed out to families that came to meet the trains in response to newspaper ads. It was told in flash backs by a 91 year old woman who was one of the orphans to a troubled teen in foster care. The teen is doing 50 hours of community service after being caught stealing by helping the older woman clean out her attic. The orphan trains were real and the story is well researched and very interesting.

The fluff books were Kept by Sally Brady and Home to You by Jenn Faulk both Christian romance and Fancy Dancer by Fern Michaels, From This Moment by Debra Clopton and The Return of Rafe MacKade by Nora Roberts all romance novels with no socially redeeming content.

I read Orphan Train a few years ago and enjoyed it as well.

But they make us feel good and if we feel good we aren't going around wanting to punch people, which is not socially acceptable . ;)

:rotfl2::rotfl:

1 of 20: Rogue One Rebel Dossier
An in-world guide of info, intel, schematics & top secret transmissions from Rogue One!

A small, young-reader (don't laugh) book going through details related to the movie Star Wars: Rogue One. Adds some details and covers things you might not have noticed watching the movie. Foreshadows some things that will happen later in the Star Wars Rebels TV show. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

2 of 20: Lost Stars by Claudia Gray
This thrilling Young Adult novel gives readers a macro view of some of the most important events in the Star Wars universe, from the rise of the Rebellion to the fall of the Empire. Readers will experience these major moments through the eyes of two childhood friends--Ciena Ree and Thane Kyrell--who have grown up to become an Imperial officer and a Rebel pilot. Now on opposite sides of the war, will these two star-crossed lovers reunite, or will duty tear them--and the galaxy--apart? Star Wars: Lost Stars also includes all-new post- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi content, as well as hints and clues about the upcoming film Star Wars: The Force Awakens, making this a must-read for all Star Wars fans.

What if Romeo and Juliet lived in the Star Wars universe? Tells the story of Ciena Ree and Thane Kyrell, two new characters who we follow from childhood into their early 20's. Takes place before and during the Galactic Civil War. I loved the writing style and the characters, especially Ciena. The main characters get involved in the main Star Wars story, but in a realistic way that didn't seemed forced (Forced! Get it!?). I enjoyed how the author gave depth to the protagonists, showing the Empire and Rebels are being more complex than just Evil and Good. I hope to see more of these characters in future Star Wars content. 5 out of 5 stars.

Currently Reading: Hear to the Jedi by Kevin Hearne as well as Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide by Pablo Hidalgo.

Do you sense a theme? ;)

8/100
Airborne by Kenneth Oppel 1/27 9:56pm
Steampunkish young adult fictions set in a world that uses airships as primary modes of transportation. Adventure, science, feminism and pirates all in one book.
9/100
The Abominible Mr. Darcy by J. Dawn King 1/27 10:14pm
Super cute pride and prejudice variation. Quick easy ready.

Lost Stars is a terrific book.

1/24-Gunslinger:Brett Favre biography by Jeff Pearlman. Growing up in Wisconsin a life long Packer fan you pretty know all there is to know about Favre. And the second half are just rehashes of stories we heard daily Still the early half of the book did have a few surprises and overall it's a well written book

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter